Forum Settings
Forums

How have you changed as an anime fan over the years?

New
Aug 5, 2010 8:11 PM

Jul 2008
Man, since I first began watching anime stuff really changed. My favorite anime used to be Maburaho and anything that ADV released was my favorite.

I also can't really watch old shows anymore like I used to. I used to be able to watch older shows like nothing, but now I can't tolerate them. I really want to watch Nobody's Boy Remi, but my god that show looks like a slideshow with sound. Really, really dated stuff.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 5, 2010 8:17 PM

Nov 2009
I used to really, really love shows such as Maburaho, and other ecchi series. I am a bit more picky, but I haven't quite changed too much yet. I find I am gradually shifting away from series like Maburaho (for example). I loved it so much when I first watched it, I wonder if I would still enjoy it if I rewatched it :o
Aug 5, 2010 8:19 PM

Jul 2008
I tried. I was like "damn I used to really love Kuriko". Now I feel lightheaded when I watch that show. Let your nostalgia remain and don't rewatch it man.
Aug 5, 2010 8:19 PM

Feb 2010
I used to like generic action, now I like psychological/sci-fi
Aug 5, 2010 8:31 PM

Aug 2008
Recently have started watching anime online, watching primarily subs, getting into the seiyuu thing, buying DVDs and manga, being pickier as a fan and as a critic.
Aug 5, 2010 8:31 PM

Nov 2008
I'm much more tolerant of mediocrity than I used to be. But I guess that's because I want my completed total to go up; otherwise I would've finished nearly as much as I have. Thanks MAL!!! :P
Aug 5, 2010 10:04 PM

Mar 2009
I didnt used to be able to deal with Moe/Ecchi boobs. But now iv come to accept that there are so few animes without them, that I just have to see past the immature crap. I can tolerate alot more now that I can see plots behind it all.

Also, I dont watch many shounen-epics. Thats kinda what started me on Anime, but these days I tend to stay in the Seinen and upper shoujo genres : /
Aug 5, 2010 10:19 PM

Sep 2009
I've developed from a regular shounen/action type to a moe lover. Of course, it's more like I've grown a hybrid of it. You could say I've grown to love almost all genre except Yaoi, actually.

Though I've never really gotten into psychological. Just not my kind of thing.

Aug 5, 2010 10:22 PM

Jan 2009
I went from a guy who loved flash and no substance's shows to someone who enjoys highly intellectual shows. Hell I had Code Geass in my favorites for awhile...I still don't know what I was thinking.
Aug 5, 2010 10:31 PM

Apr 2010
I loooove actiony stuff and classic anime like Cowboy Bebop, things that are flawless and original and funny. Or that's how I'm getting to be. I started out watching mostly drama/romance/school/slice of life and that moved on to include ecchi. These days I think serious anime with comedy that isn't forced has more heart to it and leaves a better impact. I never liked mecha or monster types, quite frankly I can't stand them.

Aug 5, 2010 10:38 PM

Aug 2007
I used to watch a lot of the so-called "mainstream" series like Bleach and Naruto mainly because it is what's available. Nowadays, I prefer series that aren't over 26 episodes long.
Aug 5, 2010 10:39 PM

Apr 2007
I started off as a romcom girl, watching only romantic comedies... mainly reverse harem.

After successfully marathoning Fullmetal Alchemist, I became more open to ALL types of anime, including stuff I'd never really like. ie; scifi, mecha, psychological, etc.

These days I pretty much watch anything that seems to have an interesting plot.
Slice of life, included. I find it interesting in a "oh, I've been there!" kind of way.

Aug 5, 2010 10:45 PM

Sep 2008
nothings changed....i still love watching all kinds of anime...if anything i've gotten tamer through the years when i use to watch borderline hentai shows like La Blue Girl, Urotsukidouji and Crying Freeman to now watching mild ecchi like Asobi ni Iku yo and HotD....
Aug 5, 2010 10:48 PM

Nov 2009
Used to like everything I watched. Now, not so much.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Aug 5, 2010 11:18 PM

Feb 2010
When I started watching anime, I would watch anything anime-related and think it was gold because I didn't have any basis for comparison. Now, I can dismiss an anime as crap according to my developed tastes. I also used to reject some shows before I watched them (I previously refused to watch Clannad, and wouldn't have given most romances a chance), but now I'll pretty much give anything a chance before/if I reject it.
Aug 5, 2010 11:30 PM

Sep 2008
extremely jaded now and it's hard to find an anime I even remotely interested in watching anymore.

But I used to watch everything when I was a kid.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 6, 2010 12:20 AM
Dec 2009
I Haven't been watching anime that long but when I first started I really liked harems,
now I really don't like them as much.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Aug 6, 2010 1:18 AM
Aug 2010
I started off with cowboy bebop/trigun and dbz...but as the time went on my fav animes have starting becoming the ones closest to life and psychological thrillers...evangelion, NHK, monster ect.
Aug 6, 2010 1:42 AM

Jul 2008
I started with ( I had seen outlaw star, db, tenchi muyo and others before) with bleach, full metal alchemist and other random ones, progressed to watching all sorts.
Nowadays I find it pretty hard to watch anime, especially ecchi / harem, I have been trying though, but I find manga much nicer to read through.
Aug 6, 2010 2:32 AM

Aug 2009
BakaKawaii said:
I started with ( I had seen outlaw star, db, tenchi muyo and others before) with bleach, full metal alchemist and other random ones, progressed to watching all sorts.
Nowadays I find it pretty hard to watch anime, especially ecchi / harem, I have been trying though, but I find manga much nicer to read through.

Exactly this.

A man of few words.
Aug 6, 2010 2:38 AM

Mar 2009
I used to be more on the 'dislike' side when it came to ecchi, but now I really like it (if it's done well).
Aug 6, 2010 2:44 AM

Jul 2008
If it's not just pure fanservice and has actual comedy and other aspects, sure, it can be enjoyable, but the ones I've come across have just been terrible generic, even down to the characters / animation.
Aug 6, 2010 6:00 AM

Oct 2007
I guess my taste have broadened quite a bit. For example, when I first started watching I really couldn't see any point in slice of life-ish stuff and never even gave it a chance. No problem anymore, as long as it has something else like comedy (Minami-ke, for instance).

I also try to stay away from typical shounen stuff nowadays. Too bad I still want to know what will happen in Bleach... It's my guilty pleasure. <.<
Aug 6, 2010 6:02 AM

Mar 2009
I haven't been watching anime for a long time now but I have already started being sick of shounen anime. This genre gets boring very fast.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 6, 2010 6:09 AM
Feb 2010
Back when I started MAL pretty much the entirity of my list was Romance genre Anime. I would rarely watch anything else, now I'm happy to try out anything.
Aug 6, 2010 6:10 AM
Jul 2010
People tastes changes from time to time, Before I liked more action, now I'm more into Romance, harem and other stuff.
Aug 6, 2010 6:13 AM
Feb 2010
Lightyear8684 said:
People tastes changes from time to time.

Yeah.

One day I can really be up for watching Slice of Life and other days it can bore the hell out of me. It depends. My tastes change rather regular.
Aug 6, 2010 8:09 AM

Dec 2009
I use to watch any anime I could, now I'm a lot more picky and don't feel guilty for dropping if I'm not interested enough or something turns me off.

Have never been much of a romance or shoujo fan but I've been more willing to try them out and just bask in the 'cuteness' and 'love love' vibes.

Aug 6, 2010 8:12 AM
Jun 2008
i stay up late at night more often.
Aug 6, 2010 8:46 AM

Apr 2009
Back then, I really loved shounen anime like Naruto, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc. but now I don't like shounens. I've also began to watch more anime genres than shounen and I'm less fangirly.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Aug 6, 2010 8:48 AM

Aug 2009
I became slightly obsessive and tried to watch anime or play anything anime related.
Also, I tend to buy their produvcts now.
So i changed generally
Aug 6, 2010 9:08 AM

Aug 2010
before i thought anime is only for KIDS.
cuz ive seen Dragonball Z, Ghost Fighter, Slam Dunk, Shaman King, Naruto, etc
(though i really really liked Slam Dunk i stil think Anime is for kids)

Then, BAM, CLANNAD came out, Clannad changed my whole life, i swear to god, thats why i still watch anime, Clannad gets me going xD,

of coarse now i dont think ANIME is for kids now :D
its for cool people like us xD
Aug 6, 2010 9:23 AM

May 2010
Well, I used to watch all subs because some moron person told me that all dubs suck. Now I actually watch more dubs.

Also, I used to like only generic shoujo and slice of life, but now I like anything that's good.

I used to look at anime really superficially. For example, whenever I watched Lucky Star or Azumanga Daioh, I though, "That's kinda cute, I guess it's funny..." but now I don't like either and don't find them funny.
Aug 6, 2010 9:23 AM

Aug 2010
Up until last month my anime likes hadn't changed sinse I was like 9. I only liked watching the action anime like DBZ and YYH as well as others. Then my friend told me to watch Higurashi. I wasn't going to at all until he started linking me different scenes from the anime. Then I was like I have to see this.

After I finished the 1st and 2nd seasons I had "Oh the wasted years moment!" Ever sinse that I knew I could get into stuff that wasn't just mind numbing action but other genres as well. Now I'm into mystery, psychological, romance. Its really wierd how much of a 180 I did.
Aug 6, 2010 9:33 AM

Sep 2009
Like most other people, I used to only watch whatever shounen action shows that were airing on TV at the time (ex. Naruto, One Piece, Kenshin, Gash Bell...etc). I went into a long period of absence then got back into it with Clannad. Then I binged on multiple slice-of-life, comedy and romance until I discovered MAL. After that, I branched out a bit more.
Aug 6, 2010 9:45 AM

Oct 2008
I used to stick to modern anime but now I changed my mind and I decided to watch anime from everytime.
Aug 6, 2010 10:03 AM

Apr 2009
I don't think my tastes have changed that much. I still don't care for most magical girl, I still enjoy horror/psychological the most.... it's just now, I don't think it's all super-great.
Aug 6, 2010 10:05 AM

Dec 2009
My tastes changed tremendously. I used to be more of a fan of romance and mainstream anime--now I lean towards seinen anime.
Aug 8, 2010 3:17 PM

Dec 2008
After ten years...

Magical girl series are still my favorite genre, but I am hopelessly picky over them. I don't know how I sat through so many "monster of the day" episodes in Sailor Moon and stuff. And that's what the genre is pretty much known for. Good gracious. So I will read the manga first, usually, and then from there find out if it's a monster of the day-like series in the anime. If it's short, I'll swallow and go for it, but if not, I might just pass it altogether. If I like the series enough, I might try it, though.

I have gone from avoiding all the horror and gore I can to trying to find the scariest and goriest stuff I can. I now love the stuff and can't get enough. I also love psychological stuff, too.

I've gone from watching anime on TV, to buying DVDs and streaming/downloading online before I make blind purchases - so I make smarter purchases and don't buy something always on recommendation - sometimes I will try it out before I decide to buy it.

I also went from being purely subs to tolerating dubs. I now will pretty much watch it either way, but my default setting is always subs because I'm a nerd and I love reading subtitles and trying to pick out Japanese words I know. At least now I don't throw a cow when someone wants to watch anime with me and say they want to watch it in English. I've also become a fan of a lot of dub actors and actresses, maybe even more so than the Japanese seiyuus.

I also have less time to watch anime and read manga since I'm working and going to school, so I have become slightly more selective. I'm more open minded to try whatever and I'm determined not to drop another series, but I will usually avoid mainstream things in favor of things I'm actually interested in, like I probably should be.

Also, I get more Japanese jokes and understand a lot more cultural references. Not to mention I actually know some very basic Japanese.
Aug 8, 2010 6:04 PM
Jun 2010
I used to think I would only like Sailor Moon and Digimon for animes. Along with the movies of Pokemon. I have moved on to many other animes besides those(even though I still love Sailor Moon) and like Digimon. I never thought I would get into DB/DBZ, but I have now!
Aug 8, 2010 7:07 PM

Nov 2007
i start off with mahou shoujo

Minky Momo, Wedding Peach, Sailormoon, Cardcaptor sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc

then i'm a hardcore fan on shounen anime, DBZ, naruto, bleach, prince tennis...but it quickly wear off as i'm too lazy waiting for the story to end...

right now i'm more slanted to romance/slice of life/comedy anime....other genre such as sci-fi, mystery, horror and even mahou shoujo is still entertaining for me...

except shounen anime...especially the one like one piece/bleach/naruto
Aug 8, 2010 7:54 PM

Oct 2009
I've certainly lost a lot of the interest I used to hold for anime. I began watching subbed anime in 2004, and that aspect really boomed in 2006 for me. I would spend hours each day watching anime, but now I've just started to lose interest. Primarily because the majority of anime is just immature bullcrap made to interest Japanese kids into not running to the used panty vending machine. I've really matured with what I enjoy, while at the same time lost a lot of interest with one of the first hobbies I ever developed.

Aug 8, 2010 8:01 PM

May 2009
When I first started getting into anime I was ecstatic to hear there were other fans in my school and that we had a club devoted to it. That's where I made all my friends that I have today. Anime gave me something I probably couldn't have done on my own. It brought out a side of me that I didn't know I had.

A little later on down the line I was exposed to many different anime, the anime conventions and other things. The cons are an experience in itself and I am so grateful that I got to attend a handful of them.

Recently though, the rabid anime fans have been driving me crazy almost to the point where I can't stand to be around them. At cons I could care less because they're in large numbers, but if I encounter one in the anime/manga section of a store, I turn on my heel and walk away. I may sound selfish, but in small public areas I can't stand the "SQUEEE!! OMG!!" shit.
Aug 8, 2010 8:10 PM

Oct 2009
Do you squeal when you see Toshiro?

Aug 8, 2010 8:55 PM

Apr 2008
My taste has changed dramatically. At first, I only watched anime that was on TV. In 2006, I still watched shows on Toonami, but I also moved over to the more mature stuff Central Park Media and ADV films had put out (which I was too young to watch anyway) as well as fansubs of Bleach and Mermaid Melody.

Then I moved over into my "fangirl" phase that lasted for 2 years. During that time, most of the shows I would watch needed to have either a) a cast made up of mostly bishonen, or b) a main cast played by all those deep-voiced male seiyuu fangirls go crazy over (along with Mamoru Miyano). Now, I've moved on from that and grimace at any of the blog/forum posts I've made in 2008 and the first half of 2009. Now I focus less on voice actors and composers when choosing which shows to watch and more on who's directing it and what the anime is about. I've also taken more of a liking to psychological, drama, and action/adventure anime.
Aug 8, 2010 9:04 PM
Mar 2010
used to watch dubbed. now i watch subbed.
simple?

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Aug 8, 2010 9:18 PM
Apr 2010
it like when u were a kid and watched anime it was always fun cause everything u watch if it had a a lot of action and catchy catchphrases but as you get old u become more fascinated with the story and character devolopment at least thats my take off how i watch and what i watch now
Aug 8, 2010 9:24 PM

Jan 2009
I was drawn to it for the hot, delicious girls; I'm still into it for those same girls :3.
Tissues not included.
Aug 8, 2010 9:25 PM

Aug 2007
Not a whole lot, I used to be really big into shonen stuff, not so much anymore. I can go for anything if it's well written and produced, but I definitely feel like I appreciate the older series more so then whatever is coming out the last few seasons( Because they're all horrible, for the most part).

Aug 8, 2010 9:31 PM

Jun 2008
I am now indefinitely or randomly on hiatus for anime. It used to be anime was my primary source of enjoyment. In the beginning, I still remember the wild addiction I had with Pokemon. I still probably do...

Now it all depends on my mood if I'm on a reading addiction, movies, cycling, games, or music. Right now, the cycle is at games and cycling. I also used to write journal entries for finishing a series, now I find it too much of a drag, and my memory continues to suck even if I wanted to write something. I almost got into LoGH, I probably am into LoGH, but going to the basement and watching LoGH just seems not as awesome as playing my heavily modded Oblivion. :[
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

228 by InsomniacBastard »»
10 seconds ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

13 by Teirayo »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

28 by AxiaG »»
7 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 2 hours ago

11 by Jozuwa-_- »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

60 by Teirayo »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.