Forum Settings
Forums

How have you changed as an anime fan over the years?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 9, 2010 2:01 AM

Aug 2010
I tired to review the pieces I watched in my childhood, but I failed because they are not wonderful anymore using today's view, though they used to be fascinating.
Aug 9, 2010 9:04 AM

May 2009
Lucjan said:
Do you squeal when you see Toshiro?
No, I love him unconditionally, but I am not one of those types of fangirls who freaking attack people trying to get to the person. I am the collected type who would in no way squeal like an idiot. Granted I DO sometimes do it, but it's never in public where I make a fool of myself.
Aug 9, 2010 11:02 AM

Mar 2008
When I first started to watch anime I would just watch anything without any reasoning. But now I can only watch anime that are decent to good. With the stream of recent anime that leaves a lot to desire the amount I watch has declined as well.
Aug 9, 2010 2:16 PM

Jan 2010
When I first started, (And by that, I mean when I stopped hating all anime) all I watched were shows on Adult Swim, and whatever anime I could rent at the video store, however, the only anime the store had were Miyazaki movies . . . and shows on Adult Swim. This kept me satisfied for a few months until I found places where you could watch anime online, then I got to see more obscure anime.

Aside from that . . . I haven't really changed. I'll watch pretty much anything so long as it is good, which for me basically means, "If it doesn't bore me to tears and doesn't insult my intelligence, I might like it." This includes all genres, shows dubbed and subbed, and . . . yeah. Well, I guess I'm more open to watching "girly" anime now than at first; I now realize that no one is going to call me a "fucking gayass pussy" for liking Cardcaptor Sakura, so I guess that, but otherwise . . . yeah. My standards for quality have always been high.
"Simply by the presence of butthurt, this level of reasoning is possible for Furudo Erika. What do you think, everyone?"
Aug 9, 2010 2:24 PM

Jun 2010
I used to prefer action above all else, but nowadays, it takes a backseat to comedy and hentai.
Aug 9, 2010 3:13 PM

Dec 2007
The only difference is that nowadays I can actually actively search for things. I still like the same things I liked 10 years ago.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Aug 9, 2010 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
i used to be a big fan of Elfen Lied and Fruits Basket... now i can't say i find either to be that great. i was also a huge fan of Loveless and Angelic Layer.

now... i love josei and good shoujo and i like reading manga way over watching anime, when before i barely touched any manga.
Aug 9, 2010 6:23 PM

Dec 2009
I used to watch deep and meaningful anime that explored the plight of hardships and the struggles of millions....

Now I watch hentai :D

Aug 9, 2010 10:05 PM
May 2010
I first encountered anime when I was a kid. There were some English dubs in my country, and some of the oldest ones I watched as a kid were Akazukin Chacha and Dragon Ball. Then Pokemon and Digimon came along. I supported Digimon, but I digress.

I never really considered myself an 'anime fan' throughout all those years, since I didn't even know about the term, 'anime' in those years. Only after I joined a Digimon forum did I find out about Digimon being an anime. And even after that, I still never really got into other anime, like the one which many people in that forum liked at that time, Gurren Lagann (people kept quoting "Giga Drill Breaker" but I didn't really know what it meant back then). I did watch Detective Conan later on, but that's the only other anime I watched.

Then, in recent years, I began with casual anime viewing to intermediate. Can't really remember what started me off my casual anime viewing, but I think it was Gurren Lagann, and it was watched through online streaming. Meh, the memory's blurry, and I can't remember why I suddenly got into anime, but the first episode of Gurren Lagann got me hooked. I found it while I was Googlling "Best Anime Series" and found MyAnimeList's top anime list.

tl;dr
With all that history BS explained, how I have changed as an anime fan? I guess, as with all other things in my life, I matured as an anime fan. I picked better series to follow (though still being devoted to Digimon and Detective Conan), and I only watch the best in the Top Anime list (except Death Note, which I plan to just finish at one shot and be done with it). I start to realize more the great storytelling skills of anime writers, and I love animation anyway, so a great story+animation=fun for me.

In a way, you could say that my real anime life began with MAL. ^_^
Aug 9, 2010 10:28 PM

Jul 2010
I started off watching anything so long as it had action in it. Zoids was the first, then came shows like Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist (not Brotherhood), and Naruto. I didn't care if they had 5689458304850 fillers in them, just so long as the fighting was good and the characters were funny. (See Inuyasha)

Looking back, I don't know how I could stand all those fillers. Bleach, Naruto, and Inuyasha are now shows that I wonder how I could bare. They all have their good points, and they'd be pretty awesome if they just didn't get lost with random "help the towns people" episodes.

Nowdays I like things that have a plot and interesting characters. Such as:

Death Note
Code Geass
Angel Beats
Durarara
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I've also gotten into some shoujo anime, something I never thought I'd enjoy. Vampire Knight and Kobato are my two favorites.
Aug 9, 2010 10:31 PM

Jun 2008
after watching 400+ anime i tend to lose interest fairly quickly now a days, and this is made worse when there's nothing of real quality being made, i just hope the "supposed" line up for spring 2011 get confirmed and doesn't change.

With nothing new or interesting to watch, i started to re-watch anime i really enjoyed and loved watching, although re-watching something isn't a thing i like to do very often.

I guess after having watched so many anime i have a higher standard for the new stuff that gets aired and in the end i lose interest because nothing compares.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

31 by Meusnier »»
43 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

39 by Nurguburu »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

92 by dayooooon »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

35 by phantom346 »»
13 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 7 hours ago

17 by BirdyTheMighty »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.