Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2010 2:12 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Girls that young don't need to diet. :<
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 30, 2010 4:10 PM

Dec 2009
I almost wanted to say that 'I don't remember this episode'. Then I rewatched it and realized that I have, but hated it.

Usagi is not even close to being fat! There was no difference between them being 'normal' and 'thinner'.

This episode is a joke and not good for young girls to be watching.

The reason I couldn't remember this at first is because I had blocked it from my mind. And I'm going to do just that again.

Jan 2, 2011 7:46 PM

May 2010
Aren't you being a bit harsh on this episode? It's not like it was encouraging girls to be aneorexic or anything, it seemed a bit of the opposite really, with the evil guys being the ones to make fun of them for being fat and her crush telling her that he liked chubbier girls.
“Money can't buy dere”
Mar 22, 2011 8:53 AM
Nov 2010
lol what a pathetic episode. On the good side, the bad guys got some powers so it wasn't that bad of an episode
Mar 22, 2011 4:16 PM

Jun 2009
Well, at least there were no inexplicably random appearances by Tuxedo Mask.

On a side note:

Seabury said:
Aren't you being a bit harsh on this episode? It's not like it was encouraging girls to be aneorexic or anything, it seemed a bit of the opposite really, with the evil guys being the ones to make fun of them for being fat and her crush telling her that he liked chubbier girls.

This. Still, this show is very far from good anyway. I find Usagi to be fairly entertaining but other than that? Well, we'll see how it goes from here.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 6, 2011 10:53 PM

Sep 2008
Usagi can almost have an hourglass shape though!
I wish Haruna didn't have to suffer though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2012 5:46 AM

Apr 2011
I thought it was pretty funny.
Dec 29, 2013 2:44 AM

Aug 2007
This reminds me I need to go back on my diet starting the new year, uguuu :c

Jan 11, 2014 1:12 AM
Jun 2013
I didn't realize Luna could be so scary. I think she had no other choice.
Feb 8, 2014 3:59 AM
Mar 2013
I found it cute how Serena freaked out about her weight gain. I did that too when I was 14 years old. She looked hilarious on the exercise bike though.

And I love her brother, what a prankster ^_^
Feb 21, 2014 2:53 AM

Aug 2012
This episode is definitely problematic. Usagi is 14 years old! Usagi was not fat at all at any time in this episode, and even if she was, what would be so bad about that? I thought she would learn something, but no, at the very end of the episode she was worrying about her weight again ...
Mar 1, 2014 2:29 AM

Jan 2011
Inevitably, the teacher is once again the first one to fall for the bad guys' ploy. It's not like Haruna-sensei is bad looking either, even with early 1990's animation.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 4, 2014 1:27 AM

Feb 2014
literally the only good part of this episode was tuxedo mask's sick burn. "dumpling head eating dumplings"! good job, guy, way to get a dig in at a 14 year old kid. keep on keepin on, my dude

jokes aside, this is the episode that made my mom decide she didn't want 6-year-old me watching this show -- and honestly i can't blame her? although i would've really liked to have grown up with this anime, i'm glad i'm only really watching it for the first time now, when i'm old enough and aware enough to not digest but dissect harmful messages like the ones in this episode.
Mar 14, 2014 10:03 AM
Apr 2013
Come on guys, the episode was perfectly normal for a Japanese show. This sort of thing is why Japanese people are thin!

I'm liking the series so far.
May 28, 2014 3:51 AM

Nov 2011
HiNT74 said:
Come on guys, the episode was perfectly normal for a Japanese show. This sort of thing is why Japanese people are thin!

I know, but doesn't that make it even more upsetting? Ok, japanese people may have naturally more slender body frame, but it must be horrible to live as overweight in Japan :I

I mean that in most of shoujo series there are chapters where about 145cm/35kg girls are dieting and crying how fat they are, and they show that young girls dieting is good and admirable. It made me kind of hysteric when I was like 11-12 years old and about 150cm/50kg.

Jun 20, 2014 2:30 AM
Apr 2013
I get your point. It's probably true that there's too much pressure on girls to be thin in Japan. Still, the very fact that there is means that someone who is slightly overweight in America(/the West in general) probably wouldn't be in Japan, so they wouldn't be condemned anyway.
RedhillsJun 20, 2014 3:04 AM
Jul 2, 2014 8:32 AM

Jan 2014
I don't think the way they presented weight problems is bad.
Seabury said:
Aren't you being a bit harsh on this episode? It's not like it was encouraging girls to be anorexic or anything, it seemed a bit of the opposite really, with the evil guys being the ones to make fun of them for being fat and her crush telling her that he liked chubbier girls.
True this :) But it is important to stay healthy, and when a naturally thinner person suddenly gets significantly thicker, that means the person's probably not healthy at that moment.
Apr 3, 2015 5:27 AM

Feb 2010
I liked this ep even more than previous ones. It's not making things up about dieting, but refers to actual unhealthy concern most girls have with being overweigh!
And what even the adults are willing to try to become slim, even while not having a real overweight problem. Being overconcerned and misguided about what being fit is can lead to harm. This ep handles this subject nicely and even speaks of it as plainly as it could be aside of being literal. Still, someone would misunderstand, but it's not a show's fault. More so, that thing about fitness is purely American in origin - dieting and fitness has grown into a huge bussiness in 70s-90s, unconcerned with actual health but with profits, and so the media in US (and wherever this bussiness would export) was serving that industry, projecting an image of "slim beauty" as a standart for women anywhere, so more demand would be created for diets and fitness club memberships, but actual healthy ways of being fit would drown in this commercial noise, alas...

"Nothing costs more, than what is free." - Jadeite

"That guy"'s getting at Usagi is hilarious. He makes fun of her, but isn't actualy agressive. More like a big brother who cares, but doesn't want to lecture (and we all know that doesn't work anyway). And I think that's one of the lessons of this show - that not everyone who is "mean" to you is being bad, and not everyone who tells you what you like to hear is good (like trainers in this ep).
burbelsApr 3, 2015 5:40 AM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jul 13, 2016 3:08 PM
May 2016
This episode was really good, the way Luna was teasing Usagi was funny. And Usagi's weight loss situation was very relatable for someone like me.
Oct 4, 2017 9:15 AM
Sep 2016
Haha, my favorite thing about this episode is how "problematic" the gender studies types find it.
May 4, 2018 9:57 AM

Mar 2017
I can see why this episode might rub one the wrong way, but I didn't think it was that bad... I actually found it to be quite funny! And at least half of the message was right, exercise is good, even if you shouldn't diet at a young age.
Aug 28, 2018 5:21 PM
Mar 2018
I am conflicted on my thoughts on the episode.

On the plus side, it had a good story, some good humor, and it DID seem to ultimately have a positive message at the end.

However, it really shouldn't have been played for comedy.
Nov 27, 2018 2:54 PM

Jul 2015
What being young does, she wasn't even close to be fat lmao.

Everyone bullies Usagi so much and I feel evil laughing as hard as I do.
Feb 20, 2019 4:29 PM

Aug 2008
hahaha, Mamorus remarks at Usagi are always hilarious.
Jun 4, 2019 7:32 PM

Jul 2008
That's right, curvy doesn't mean fat.

What this episode did wrong is they took skinny characters and made them seek an even skinnier figure. But hey, it happens in real life. Although, I think a lot of people seem to think they treated Usagi as if she was fat but it was more teasing about become fat in the future if she kept her bad habits.
Nov 29, 2019 1:14 PM

Sep 2017
I just watched this episode eating lots of sweets :D
Jan 24, 2020 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know how she stays that fit, Usagi is truly magical. I feel kind of bad for her though, with Luna saying she is going to be super fat and all that.
May 31, 2020 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Comedy in this episode was spot on. Every joke landed flawlessly. It might not be the best message for the kids but other than that this episode was fantastic. 10/10
Jul 10, 2020 6:06 AM

Aug 2016
Luna's slam-dunking on Usagi with that pic and later teaching her who the boss is.
Sunglasses (who I'm guessing is Tuxedo Mask) was brutal.
Teacher be falling for all the scams.
Another great episode.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Nov 15, 2020 8:48 AM

Jan 2019
This episode alone is definitely enough to drop the whole series.
why am i plagued with furry jokes everywhere I go
Jan 6, 2021 5:52 AM

Aug 2020
I feel personally attacked by this episode... This is a sensitive topic for me as a female ;(

My mouse automatically went to rate this a 5/5, I'm so annoyed now because this deserves a 2 T^T
Jan 14, 2021 2:35 PM

Nov 2016
Jadeite: There come the idiots

Facts xD

And people need to chill. That's how girls are and characters in this episode even acknowledged that having a bit meat isn't bad.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 14, 2021 7:04 AM

Apr 2020
tuxedo mask didnt come:(
water
Feb 4, 2022 4:29 PM

Apr 2015
Hate it when my cat encourages me to have an eating disorder.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 20, 2022 5:46 AM

Mar 2022
It's easy to forget how dark this show can get. I mean jesus Jadeite, I get you need energy that's the reason your on earth anyway but having Usagi's teacher drowned of her skin until she's withered away? God that's dark!

For the record I don't think Usagi's fat in anyway. She's fine as she is.
Sep 24, 2022 8:28 AM

Feb 2015
This episode was definitely dark (but funny), you are already a slim/healthy figure and you unnaturally lose weight to the point where you are skin and bones and still you want to lose more?! I know Haruna is a comedy relief at the moment but this was just crazy and sad.

As long as you aren't fat, there's nothing wrong with a bit of weight like Motoki said, chubby girls are cuter after all imo.
Nov 13, 2022 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
"It's you in six months", Luna is so mean. Again, love how involved Usagi's family is with her daily life and personal experiences.

Looks like Umino is a perv! Those pictures he had of the teacher in her gym clothes.

Not Jadeite as a handsome gym instructor. So silly and the glasses disguise strikes again. How does Usagi not notice that it's the bad guy!

Becoming acquainted with Motoki's character a little more. He's actually really sweet. Mystery guy with the shades could take a lesson or two, what an antagonizer.

The ending was great, how Usagi talked with her mom about the teacher's misfortune.

Respect the message about treating your body with kindness and getting into shape with hard work, instead of dangerous diets and starvation. Wonderful episode about self reflection.
Feb 4, 2023 1:26 AM

Dec 2022
This episode is a bit iffy. Usagi is so skinny yet everyone was treating her like she is very fat. Not a very good message for young girls or anyone even, but I guess in the 90s this was unfortunately quite normal.

Feb 5, 2023 5:31 PM
Jan 2017
Having already watched this in full, I believe it took me until this episode to finally realize that the DiC dub I grew up watching is a lot different than this version, haha. Before this episode I remember thinking "I know I grew up watching the English dub, but I was able to watch this when I was like 5 or 6 years old?" So yeah... when I watched how dark this episode got, I finally realized just how different the two are, heh.
And yeah, this show definitely wasn't afraid to push the boundary and get really dark. As some people have said already, it was harsh for everyone to go as far as they did about Usagi's weight, but at least it ended well about being careful about dieting and such.
Feb 19, 2023 9:57 AM

Jan 2020
taflnder said:
This episode is a bit iffy. Usagi is so skinny yet everyone was treating her like she is very fat. Not a very good message for young girls or anyone even, but I guess in the 90s this was unfortunately quite normal.
I thought the same thing. This show is intended for teens. Dieting is a very sensitive topic and I don't encourage it at all, because it usually leads to unhealthy behaviour. It's way better to eat if you feel hungry and exercise regularly. I feel bad for teens who grew up watching this series instead of Cardcaptor Sakura or Digimon, imo much better series until now.
Jun 4, 2023 7:14 PM
Dec 2014
¿Eh? Desde cuando anime list pregunta que le parece a uno un episodio... Pero bueno. xD Me parece bueno este episodio porque muchos personajes mencionan reflexionar sobre que no está bien estar obesa, pero tampoco excesivamente delgada. Solo mantener tu peso normal y mantenerte sana, con disciplina y control. Lo malo es que Serena igual termina preocupada, aunque sea por añadirle la comedia. Peeeroooo, al menos, dejan muchos comentarios que una niña podría reflexionar, en vez de dejarse llevar por impulsos estéticos dañinos de cierta clase, o como el de controlar la ansiedad por comer, o como mantenerse en forma. Y que otras personas no abusen de ti por esos intereses y debilidades en esas perspectivas defectuosas que uno pueda darse a sí misma.
Jun 12, 2023 1:26 PM

May 2022
I think you all are being way too sensitive about this ep. Like, the fact that she is already thin yet wants to loose weight is played as comedic and the show is self-aware of how ridiculus this actually is...
Jan 13, 4:34 PM
Jan 2024
I felt like it was a little offensive at first, but one has to remember that this was released in the 90's, other than that it was very entertaining and had great humor.
Jan 18, 4:31 PM
Apr 2, 3:12 AM

Jul 2017
no tuxedo mask in this episode, a very sad thing.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 26 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 12, 2010

37 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
Apr 20, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

73 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 19, 5:43 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 45 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

44 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 19, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 44 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

26 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 19, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Sailor Moon Episode 43 Discussion

VARIAchan - Aug 13, 2010

22 by Neemesis_2 »»
Apr 18, 4:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.