Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 3, 2010 3:18 PM

Dec 2008
Strange maybe its use has lessened in the US, cause i think most people here use it.. but i haven't really paid attention to it.

Everything i note down or write (yes highschool/uni exams included) is in cursive aka normal continuous handwriting :p
Of course for stuff like exams we have to keep it decent so they can read it, only names have to be in capital letters.

Why? cause its fast and we never really learned to write in print. imo if you wouldn't do it you really can't keep up with taking notes in class.
Ofc it's not as readable (depends on the person tho) to others as printed but it's mainly for yourself so..

Oh and really the way doctors write is on a whole other level of scribbling, no one can read that, it looks more like a flat line with a few bumps in it and thats supposed to tell which medicine you need o_O
Aug 3, 2010 4:46 PM

Sep 2008
Even for signatures it's not required, I totally forgot how to write my last name in cursive so now is kinda just looks a bunch of stylized humps. And most people don't even really adhere to cursive when signing, 99% of signatures I've seen it's always in a font that some what resembles cursive... but if examined can barely be considered cursive.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 3, 2010 4:51 PM

May 2008
Well, it's necessary enough as to need to know how to write your whole name.
The rest is just the preservation of heritage.
Jigero said:
Even for signatures it's not required, I totally forgot how to write my last name in cursive so now is kinda just looks a bunch of stylized humps. And most people don't even really adhere to cursive when signing, 99% of signatures I've seen it's always in a font that some what resembles cursive... but if examined can barely be considered cursive.

Or not?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 3, 2010 5:25 PM

Dec 2008
I was surprised after the stress placed on us in elementary school that for the rest of my school career, no one cared if you were printing. Elementary school beat it into our heads that we would be social outcasts without learning proper cursive. It's all a lie...!

The only thing I find cursive necessary for is signatures. Maybe when I want to make something decorative if I'm writing or drawing. Otherwise, if you can print, and you and others can read it, I think that's really what matters. Cursive is kind of like a nice little bonus if you're good at writing. It speeds up the process because you don't have to lift your hand as much when you write, but it's not a big deal if you don't use it.
Aug 3, 2010 5:46 PM

Aug 2007
Omnimalevolent1 said:
completely worthless, the only thing that cursive has any use for is your signature, nothing more.

this. this. and this.
Aug 3, 2010 5:51 PM

Mar 2010
the fact that someone asked what cursive was makes me say yes. and i agree with MorningGlory, it's an art form (can be) and part of cultures. i know a lot of people my age (25) and younger who suck horribly at cursive, or have forgotten how to use cursive, with the exception of their signature, and tbh, that's sad. while, no, it's not really useful for every day life, i personally think it's important to be able to at least write in cursive. i'd really hate to think that it'd eventually be a sort of lost art.
Aug 3, 2010 5:51 PM

May 2008
Maora said:
Omnimalevolent1 said:
completely worthless, the only thing that cursive has any use for is your signature, nothing more.

this. this. and this.

Yeah, but cursive is fun and fanciful, like anime.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 3, 2010 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
Cursive like doctor notes cursive or signature randomness cursive are probably way easier to write but oh so confusing to read. Now if you're talking about school lessons cursive that need to be learned would be a hassle and a pointless exercise when connecting most letters in a word probably isn't something that needs to be taught in the first place.

I must say, when I first thought of this, I agreed that it's there to learn so we can understand older writings, but by this point nobody should be doing it unless it was more easier for them. And most of these older writings are probably translated in printed books already.
Aug 3, 2010 6:18 PM

May 2009
I think it's necessary to learn it so you can read it, but you don't have to write it. Actually it depends, for instance, where I live, most of people write in cursive. When I was in primary school, we were thaught that we have to write only in cursive and were punished when we didn't do it well, so most of students just got used to it. I stopped to use it when I got to high school, but I still use it when I have to write fast or take notes, I don't use it for signing though because I use a symbol rather than my name.
bacchiAug 3, 2010 6:23 PM
Aug 3, 2010 6:21 PM

Oct 2009
aallie said:
Gogetters said:
aallie said:
Screw cursive. It was my childhood nightmare. I always got scolded by my teachers as my cursive writing was quite lazy and a bit illegible. I'm really glad I've got to learn block letters~

Nowadays I only use cursive when signing papers and such (because I'm actually forced to).
You're not really being forced to though =l

Cursive seems to be a default here in Brazil, so yes, it's quite forced. :/
Ah Brazil my bad...
I should start looking at peoples profile before i say anything =l
GogettersAug 3, 2010 6:26 PM
Aug 3, 2010 7:06 PM

Jun 2010
sabattier said:
the fact that someone asked what cursive was makes me say yes. and i agree with MorningGlory, it's an art form (can be) and part of cultures. i know a lot of people my age (25) and younger who suck horribly at cursive, or have forgotten how to use cursive, with the exception of their signature, and tbh, that's sad. while, no, it's not really useful for every day life, i personally think it's important to be able to at least write in cursive. i'd really hate to think that it'd eventually be a sort of lost art.

I agree it can be a sort of art form, as well as part of culture. But even my freaking signature sucks...it can't even be considered one, imo xD
I also think it'd be sad if it became a lost art =\
Aug 3, 2010 7:11 PM

Jul 2008
It's not necessary, but I'm glad I learned how to do it.

I started school in Slovakia. I had an old school teacher who was a cursive nazi. We weren't allowed to use ballpoint pens or any other sort of pen, we had to use fountain pens. Well, except for me, since I was left handed...they let me use a fancy ballpoint pen so I wouldn't smudge my ink.

But I learned how to write nicely and it helped train my hand so much better than printing would have.

Unfortunately I haven't used it in several years. I should start practising again :3

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 3, 2010 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know if it's necessary... For me, personally, ever since I've learned cursive as a kid I've always used cursive for everything aside from documents asking print only. My print has turned into utter crap. I've been told a lot that my cursive writing is good, but I've also been told it's crap (probably is). Unsurprisingly my signature is also crap >>;
Aug 3, 2010 7:25 PM

Jul 2008
You could literally write a better signature than mine with your buttcheeks. I was never tought cursive so I just write all the letters together and make the letters longer. While kids in fifth grade were learning to write in cursive, my class was busy learning fucking spanish.

I say no because I'm ignorant and find no use for it. I remember my third day in seventh grade we had to write a whole essay in cursive. I clearly failed it.
Aug 3, 2010 7:48 PM

Sep 2008
sabattier said:

I think the lost art thing is bunch of crap, if that's true we should be, Why aren't we forced to learn Latin, Sandscript or Old English, far more important things have been published in these and they're pretty much dead now.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 3, 2010 8:22 PM

Apr 2010
Jigero said:
sabattier said:

I think the lost art thing is bunch of crap, if that's true we should be, Why aren't we forced to learn Latin, Sandscript or Old English, far more important things have been published in these and they're pretty much dead now.
It's sanskrit, not sandscript...
Aug 3, 2010 8:28 PM

Aug 2009
Seeing as cursive is all I use, I deem it necessary. Taking notes would be impossible otherwise. Others, however, can do whatever itches their bitches.
Aug 3, 2010 8:48 PM

Mar 2010
Jigero said:
sabattier said:

Being forced to learn/practice cursive for a few months as a child during our elementary school years doesn't really count. As far as older languages go, I agree to an extent. Most, if not all, high schools in the States offer language courses, and Latin is usually one of the choices; and depending on your courses, you may be required to take a foreign language, but if someone chooses French over Latin, that's their choice. Besides, I don't think there's a need to worry about the Latin language dying; since it's still highly used by the Catholic Church, and in science, academia, and law. Hell, there's even a version of wikipedia that's all in Latin. As for Sanskrit, it's still one of the 22 official languages of India, and there has been attempts at revivals of the language for the past 20 years, and there are courses in it; mainly in India though. As for Old English, well, ya got me there, but there are many enthusiasts out there who keep the language alive.
Aug 3, 2010 9:02 PM

Jul 2008
Apparently the elementary schools in my area don't even teach it anymore...

One of my friends has very nice, extremely legible cursive that I like looking at, but my cursive might as well be scribbles. I only use it to sign my name.
Aug 3, 2010 9:05 PM

May 2008
Not really, but fancy handwriting is still cool to know.
Aug 3, 2010 11:39 PM

Apr 2010
Gin-iro said:
Apparently the elementary schools in my area don't even teach it anymore...
That's a shame. I just wish teachers would provide real reasons for learning cursive instead of that bs about it being necessary.
Aug 3, 2010 11:57 PM

May 2009
Here's a question for those who don't use cursive, how do you manage to take notes by hand at an adequate speed?

Whenever I try that, I get illegible scribbles or move into cursive within a few lines of text.

And on the edge of sanity I stumble and fall.
Aug 4, 2010 12:40 AM

Jun 2010
Ceska said:
Here's a question for those who don't use cursive, how do you manage to take notes by hand at an adequate speed?

Whenever I try that, I get illegible scribbles or move into cursive within a few lines of text.

Very good point xD
I can say that when I try to keep up with profs at times, I begin to lag behind everyone and such. I've actually thought about using cursive for note-taking.
Aug 4, 2010 1:04 AM

Jan 2010
Zeatha said:
I think it's not NECESSARY. But it would be nice if you have a professional carreer, like doctors and such.

Yeah, if I had a job where I needed to do a lot of writing, I'd think it'd be awesome to have.

I can't write cursive. I have horrible hand writing.
I should consider picking it up one day ._.
Aug 4, 2010 1:11 AM

Jun 2009
I only use cursive in my signature
Stupid 3rd World Country

Aug 4, 2010 1:07 PM

Apr 2010
Necessary? No, we can live without it, me anyway. I find it most of the time hard to read (I can't write like that).

Aug 19, 2010 5:30 PM

Jun 2009
Reading some of these comments... calligraphy is clearly a dying art.
Aug 19, 2010 5:32 PM

May 2010
I learned it in the third grade. Afterwards, we never touched it again, not even in high school.

Then again, we "learn" a lot of information from school that we never use in real life
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 19, 2010 6:17 PM
Jun 2010
Not really, I use it so little, I was writing the cursive J in my (horribly and carelessly written) signature wrong all along, until my friend reminded me it had a loop. ._.
Aug 19, 2010 7:23 PM

Jan 2009
I'm glad it's not used too often. For people that are not use to it, it slows down the reading or writing process, so it turns out being less efficient (not for everyone). Also, the writing ability of people can be dreadful making cursive almost impossible to read.
Aug 19, 2010 7:52 PM

Jun 2009
Personally, I've hardly ever used print since I learned cursive.
AbstractCalamity said:
Reading some of these comments... calligraphy is clearly a dying art.
Cursive really isn't calligraphy. All it is is penmanship, but you're right about it being a dying art. All the time that used to be spent on writing practice, not just cursive, print too, is being spent on typing and basic computer skills. Not that typing is unimportant, it's been more important than handwriting for a while now, but I think that it would be good if they could teach kids enough cursive so they could at least have a decent looking signature. It's also a lot better for taking notes so they should at least know it well enough to have that option.

The best thing would be if schools taught it as completely as they used to because it gets far easier to read other's sloppy handwriting if you have also practiced your penmanship. You might say that others should just write more ledgibly, but there's always going to be some people who won't, doctors being the sterotypical example. Most of the time, when someone can't read a doctor's hasty scrawl, it's because they don't habitually use cursive.
Aug 19, 2010 8:59 PM

Oct 2009
It's a messy way of being pretentious
None the less I still know it...

Aug 19, 2010 9:03 PM

Aug 2009
I used to write cursive back in my old country. Well the teachers and the school I was in forced us to write in cursive or else we'll receive a failing grade. Everyone in my country wrote in cursive. After I move in here, the U.S, I was surprised since almost noone or barely anyone writes in cursive. I needed to train myself to stop writing in cursive since that was what I was accustomed for.
Aug 19, 2010 9:07 PM

Jun 2009
I tried to do cursive when my teach teched it to us in 2nd grade and i horribly fail at it cuz i either play too much or sleep.

And i never needed to use it except when i have to sign in on paper or that electronic thing so i try to make my signature look cool but its just scribbles more than a fancy sign.
Aug 19, 2010 9:22 PM

Feb 2008
My cursive looks godlike but no.
Aug 19, 2010 10:41 PM

Aug 2010
I got used to cursive...
I don't think it's actually necessary
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.