Onibokusu said:
MorningGlory said:
Onibokusu said:
MorningGlory said:
Onibokusu said:

You mean posts like this?.

Now that is what I call " opinion vs opinion "
My opinion is better than your lousy Opinion... Wuahahahha
Well, the post is full of hypocrisy anyway.

One of the thread rules is specifically to show respect to someone's list.
Wow, very fast reply . ( i don't want to make war with Aironic ,that is why I deleted it LOL)
Well,I do agree that this world is full with hypocrisy (including me )
I'm browsing the recently posted threads very fast now.

At the rate people are posting I just hope my internet doesn't suddenly lag.

Jul 31, 2010 11:56 PM

Why do we even need a post counter? Is it possible to get rid of it altogether? If that were gone, it would get rid of the people who are just here to see their numbers go up and up and up and instead make people focus on enjoying a community. The forums I've been to that don't have post counters have had the best, most focused communities I've been around.

Aug 1, 2010 12:46 AM
just breathe

Took a moment to read the posting guidelines and while now I know what to do and what not to, it came off as gibberish half way through. The rules should be at the very top of the Forums and find a way to highlight the basics, I really don't have to read the whole thing to get what you want. However I do know there are people that don't get it unless they can read the small print. But give a break to the people that just need to know the basics.

Get more mods, hell I don't even know who is a mod on here. And before complaining about the length of posts how about doing something about the people on here that attack people's lists and tastes in anime. There is having an opinion and then there is being a douche with no opinion.

Whatever to the one worded posts, it doesn't bother me as much as what I just mentioned.

Aug 1, 2010 5:18 AM

Although I can sympathize with Asako, it's not like forum mods are completely blameless on the matter either.

There is absolutely no regulation on what type of threads are allowed in GD. Looking at the current first page, a bit less than half of the threads require simple yes/no answers. Most of the rest require a few words to answer to a sentence. Both of these are not necessarily bad things to a forum - after all forums are meant for relaxation too - but there is absolutely no imperative to discuss topics. Most OPs nowadays don't even care to remember posters to think about what they post in the thread before pressing the button.

There is a very simple solution to this. Changing the forum rules won't change a thing as hardly anyone bothers reading them in the first place (and furthermore, many rules stifle discussion, the less rules the better) so the only alternative is heavier modding. That does not mean actually reprimanding everyone constantly, but friendly reminders should do the trick quite well. For example, a mod PM'ing a user who made a very short and useless post could quote the post in the PM and point out what is wrong with it and ask the user to refrain from doing it again. reprimands can always come later.

The problem with that is of course that there are hardly any active mods on MAL. I see Asako edit posts now and then (and Nayah too, but only because I live in spam) but that's the only forum regulation I see. I suggest Xinil adds a few more forum mods to the site (and de-mod others that don't really do much) to fulfill the passive role I outlined above. The alternative is of course to make another board for those yes/no type threads (not spam, as spam, funnily enough, actually has some decent threads) and put thm all there, cleansing GD. However, Xinil seems to be adverse to creating another board so that option's dead from the start.

Take this as a rant, suggestion or tl;dr post but the problem needs to be resolved sometime.

Non-related: when did mods stop replying to user reports?

zharnotczar said:
Why do we even need a post counter? Is it possible to get rid of it altogether? If that were gone, it would get rid of the people who are just here to see their numbers go up and up and up and instead make people focus on enjoying a community. The forums I've been to that don't have post counters have had the best, most focused communities I've been around.

That assumes that people only post short replies because they want to see their post count go up, which is not necessarily the case. Some simply don't know better. And most of the hardcore +1 guys live in +1 clubs anyway.

Aug 1, 2010 5:39 AM

Jay_Ox said:
I have an idea that might not be feasible and really doesn't do much in the way of addressing the problems you brought up. However I'll just put it out there as food for thought anyway.

MAL could create a forum where no new threads are allowed. Then take the promising threads from general and move them to this location. People could continue to respond and further the discussions within these topics. They could also be more heavily modded than in other forums with stricter penalties for violating the rules.

Unfortunately this would basically be throwing general forum to the wolves. On top of that I'm not sure how you would determine which threads deserved to be "upgraded".

This idea is pretty good. Or a forum geared towards 'weightier' discussion/ in depth discussion which surmounts to more than mere chit chat.

I read the rules and while I wouldn't post just to say 'me too' I don't think I won't ever post a one word 'yes' or 'no' if it is so straight to the point that other words are not needed. I also wouldn't stop on occasion using a quote of another post as my post, if it seems fitting. It's about context. And despite doing that, I feel I make decent contributions time to time.

But the point is that so much which could be considered meatless small talk fills up the gen. discussion forum. And that's fine, but a forum geared towards discussion with a bit of depth might be nice, too, since this is as active a forum it is and a lot of small talk quickly fills it up. After all, I thought the point of subforums was to keep types of discussion separate when there is a high concentration of one type of thread matter over another.

I really don't like excessive rules and I consider myself fruitful, when the opportunity is there, to substantial discussion, but I like to have the other option, too.

Aug 1, 2010 5:47 AM

@above suggestion posts.

Remember though that Xinil is against the idea of creating more boards. This has been brought up a number of times and always rejected. I don't think there is any reason why this would have changed now.

However, if you want to bring it up again, I'd suggest first reading the previous suggestions on the topic to ensure that you're bringing a new idea to the table before posting in the Suggestions forum (remember, this is GD, posting a suggestion here is not going to help much, somewhat hypocritical coming from me but w/e), otherwise it's just going to get scorned and locked like the rest.

Aug 1, 2010 5:47 AM

There's hardly anything to 'save' here. Just look at the topics in Anime Discussion and GD. Where are those threads that may help MAL's reputation? "Have you been caught fapping to hentai", "Are instant noodles unhealthy".
You can bring more mods and move more threads to spam but it's not like it will actually change this forum board, it's a matter of userbase which in here consists mainly of kids.

Aug 1, 2010 5:50 AM

corbenic said:
There's hardly anything to 'save' here. Just look at the topics in Anime Discussion and GD. Where are those threads that may help MAL's reputation? "Have you been caught fapping to hentai", "Are instant noodles unhealthy".
You can bring more mods and move more threads to spam but it's not like it will actually change this forum board, it's a matter of userbase which in here consists mainly of kids.

Then it's a matter of education.

Educate people to think before they post in a way that it sticks.
Since reprimands obviously don't work as you say (to which I agree), MAL should explore alternative ways of dealing with its forum boards.

Aug 1, 2010 5:55 AM

Sohei said:
@above suggestion posts.

Remember though that Xinil is against the idea of creating more boards. This has been brought up a number of times and always rejected. I don't think there is any reason why this would have changed now.

However, if you want to bring it up again, I'd suggest first reading the previous suggestions on the topic to ensure that you're bringing a new idea to the table before posting in the Suggestions forum (remember, this is GD, posting a suggestion here is not going to help much, somewhat hypocritical coming from me but w/e), otherwise it's just going to get scorned and locked like the rest.

Thanks for your concern but I am not trying to bring something up for the suggestions forum but was expanding on another user's idea. Don't tell me it's also against the rules to bring something up which sounds like a suggestion when I honestly don't expect would be taken seriously but hypothetically if I was running a forum, I would potentially implement the idea. But I might only do such a thing if I had an honest concern about the wider forum community which I don't. Any suggestion topic I would make would be for my own user functionality.

Aug 1, 2010 5:55 AM
Liechée, Bittaly

And yet...another educational learning about MAL Forums and Rep

Aug 1, 2010 6:02 AM

Kairen said:
Care to expand on that?

Because so far you're posting just the type of thing Asako pointed out as being useless and a waste.

Aug 1, 2010 6:04 AM
Liechée, Bittaly

Sohei said:
Kairen said:
Care to expand on that?

Because so far you're posting just the type of thing Asako pointed out as being useless and a waste.
Just reading all the replies that's all.
Nothing wrong with that right?

Aug 1, 2010 6:05 AM

Kairen said:
Sohei said:
Kairen said:
Care to expand on that?

Nothing wrong with that.

But then there is no need to reply either, if you're just reading through.

Aug 1, 2010 6:07 AM
Liechée, Bittaly

Sohei said:
Kairen said:
Sohei said:
Kairen said:
Care to expand on that?

Nothing wrong with that.

But then there is no need to reply either, if you're just reading through.
Sorry, just a habit.
I tend to do this often.
At least you're giving me good lessons

Aug 1, 2010 6:11 AM

Ah well, just remember it next time then ^_^
I do tend to sound harsh though, so forgive me for that.

It's just I blow my top if I see the exact type of post that was outlined in the OP as being unnecessary.

Aug 1, 2010 6:59 AM

The 'Comment on the list above you' thread was made back when I was trying to post on MAL, in a more serious manner. I asked people in the opening post NOT to spam. So, naturally, people still spammed. And since no mods exist/do anything on MAL, I decided to go 'Screw it!' and expressed myself in a way that MIGHT lead to entertainment. That's all there is to it.

Plus, ignoring me whole 'Be nice!' plea, the whole point of that thread is to give your thoughts about the opinions of others. It's one of the few places where it's perfectly acceptable to question the opinions of others - with or without tact. That's what makes it so fun.

Respectful though my thoughts aren't, they are my thoughts, and they aren't posted merely to troll.

...Oh, ja, and with regard to making needlessly long posts about MAL's situation, that no-one ever reads: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=248949

Aug 1, 2010 7:04 AM

Aironic said:
The 'Comment on the list above you' thread was made back when I was trying to post on MAL, in a more serious manner. I asked people in the opening post NOT to spam. So, naturally, people still spammed. And since no mods exist/do anything on MAL, I decided to go 'Screw it!' and expressed myself in a way that MIGHT lead to entertainment. That's all there is to it.

Plus, ignoring me whole 'Be nice!' plea, the whole point of that thread is to give your thoughts about the opinions of others. It's one of the few places where it's perfectly acceptable to question the opinions of others - with or without tact. That's what makes it so fun.

Respectful though my thoughts aren't, they are my thoughts, and they aren't posted merely to troll.

...Oh, ja, and with regard to making needlessly long posts about MAL's situation, that no-one ever reads: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=248949

People don't like well thought out posts.
Or suggestions it seems.

We've suggested many things, but nothing was done. And neither does it seem that the admins are actively pursuing a solution themselves.. ; (

Aug 1, 2010 7:16 AM
It's the demographic of this site, there are way too many kids here. Things aren't going to change, and there is nothing you can do about it. People who posted in this thread aren't the ones who run up post count, the ones who do most likely didn't read all that you wrote.

Just look at the threads that are active as we speak..."prank calling police?" "get caught watching Hentai in your room?" You can't possibly expect people who graduated high school, and no longer living with their parents to take those threads seriously. Moreover, GD is filled with threads like that, kids coming in making threads that only applies to them, then people forcing the issue and making shitty posts cause the topic doesn't really apply to them.

If everyone started to taking things more seriously this forum will definitely improve over time, but as of now this is a place dedicated to high school kids. It's like you are trying to teach monkeys algebra, then mad at the monkeys for doing them wrong. You can punish the monkeys all you want, but they are not going to learn algebra before they get understand math fundamentals.

Aug 1, 2010 7:25 AM

I think the solution to this is to add more mods, for sure. On sites where people know the mods and know that the mods are not there to be walked over you generally see a much more serious user base. Although I've lost track over the amount of times regular forum users have actually ASKED for more mods and no one's done anything about it. Again, this is probably also down to the fact Xinil doesn't play a very active part in the community like he used to therefore is probably completely out of touch with the way this forum works or well, doesn't work as the case may be.

I'd like to see a list of active mods aswell since like everyone else has mentioned the only two I can think of are Asako and Nayah. Even Boursk seems to have vanished into obscurity.

Aug 1, 2010 7:31 AM

Free_Candy said:
It's the demographic of this site, there are way too many kids here. Things aren't going to change, and there is nothing you can do about it. People who posted in this thread aren't the ones who run up post count, the ones who do most likely didn't read all that you wrote.

Just look at the threads that are active as we speak..."prank calling police?" "get caught watching Hentai in your room?" You can't possibly expect people who graduated high school, and no longer living with their parents to take those threads seriously. Moreover, GD is filled with threads like that, kids coming in making threads that only applies to them, then people forcing the issue and making shitty posts cause the topic doesn't really apply to them.

If everyone started to taking things more seriously this forum will definitely improve over time, but as of now this is a place dedicated to high school kids. It's like you are trying to teach monkeys algebra, then mad at the monkeys for doing them wrong. You can punish the monkeys all you want, but they are not going to learn algebra before they get understand math fundamentals.

I assume from the whole monkey metaphor that you haven't got anything against us kids? It's true that unnecessary post are rather annoying, in fact yesterday I took a conversation that could be considered spam to comments. How ever it's the internet, as many have said before and I shall repeat, we can't stop everyone. I mean, surely we might be able to decrease it in numbers a bit but their really is so many stuck up people on here that they won't consider listening to another's request, or even bothering reading it.

I would like this topic to be taken further and have something done about it. Perhaps you could have one of them word boxes that acquires you to enter a certain amount of chars before replying? (I'm sorry I can't think of the name, also if this is meant to be in the suggestion thread, sorry about that too, just fits the topic.)
You're still the one that I love, the only one I dream of~

Aug 1, 2010 7:33 AM

LolitaDecay; posting more than a few words, all at once? This, I say, is proof that, even on the internet, females CAN be useful.

What this all comes down to, in a nutshell:

1: Xinil is the only person with true power on MAL. He's also useless; either being too busy these days or not caring about his creation.

2: A lot of people who are drawn to anime are those with socialization issues. Perverts make up most of the rest. Add-in the fact that most anime fans are younglings and you get only idiocy.

3: There aren't anywhere near enough mods selected/active enough to handle the amount of moronic activity on display, on a daily basis.

Solution: Make me a super mod, allow me to ban YoungVaga for life, and I'll also delete anyone else who disturbs the peace. Then, finally, all will be well; flowers will bloom and everyone will live happily ever after.

I assure you that, with the threat of super-fast, no warning bans, people will change their ways. Humans are surprisingly adaptable creatures, in times of need.

Aug 1, 2010 7:33 AM

Numb said:
Perhaps you could have one of them word boxes that acquires you to enter a certain amount of chars before replying? (I'm sorry I can't think of the name, also if this is meant to be in the suggestion thread, sorry about that too, just fits the topic.)
You know, most forums have this. Why on earth does this forum not?

Aug 1, 2010 7:39 AM

No, a minimal letter/word limit isn't a solution.

You can always say "yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," instead of "yes".
Furthermore, sometimes a short reply is exactly what is needed. A short metaphor can be as powerful as a long paragraph.

I agree with LolitaDecay that the only way out is to increase the amount of active moderators. There's a lot of mods on MAL, but some of them I have never actually even seen in the forums, let alone some of the admins (but I presume they do work behind closed doors..hopefully).

The only way out is to get Xinil more involved with the website. If not we might as well start a fundraiser to buy MAL from the ultimate evil called CraveOnline and change things ourselves.

Aug 1, 2010 7:41 AM

Sohei said:
The only way out is to get Xinil more involved with the website. If not we might as well start a fundraiser to buy MAL from the ultimate evil called CraveOnline and change things ourselves.
Hahaha, any idea how much that would cost? Because that would be fantastic but alas, unless one of us is insanely rich that isn't going to happen.

Aug 1, 2010 7:46 AM

LolitaDecay said:
Sohei said:
Hahaha, any idea how much that would cost? Because that would be fantastic but alas, unless one of us is insanely rich that isn't going to happen.
It is a fantasy I'll indulge myself in.

It's a near impossiblity, yes.

Aug 1, 2010 8:12 AM

I like the rules stated by the Moderator. I rarely visit MALforums because of partly what was said in the opening post. If they crack down on it and isn't a bluff, this place actually might be more appealing, friendlier.

Two thumbs up for the changes ^_^
Coming soon!

Aug 1, 2010 8:22 AM
Monia-Hime

As for the one word replies, although they are useless, I don't think they're the real problem, and they waste the mods time & effort, mods probably should focus on locking useless threads instead of seeing them accumulate yes/no posts over & over.

This forum is pretty much abandoned, even if we can bring up many good solutions, it's useless as long they're not gonna be implemented, it's more about the central management of the site, which -for me at least- doesn't seem it even exit.
Modified by SweetMonia, Aug 1, 2010 8:26 AM

Aug 1, 2010 9:07 AM
@: Numb
No I was not comparing kids to monkeys, I was saying punishing(banning) monkeys(trolls) are not the solution to the problem, fixing GD has to be a complete makeover from the fundamentals.

For example
That "Are instant noodles bad for your body?" thread

1. It's a closed ended answer question, you answer it with "yes" or "no" because that's what the topic is asking. That topic isn't going anywhere, eventually it will go off topic and lead to shitty posts.

2. People do this all the time, they ask a dumb questions in GD when they can get far better answers if they just typed the same question in Google, again topic like that are not thought provoking, it will not generate any discussions.

Again no offense to OP of that thread, this is not a knock on him, I'm just using it as an example cause it was the first thread i saw. Threads like that actually flows around in GD all the time, and people are so used to seeing them. Can't really blame people for making shitty posts when there aren't good topics to post on.

So if you want to fix GD
Instead of asking closed ended questions, people should ask more open ended questions that will lead to discussions.

Instead of making dumb threads that only revolve around a few people, people should make threads that generate interests from large group of people. For instance topics on art, culture, language, politics, sports. Those that are not interested in that area can stay away from that thread.

Maybe more Mods will help? Maybe people stopped being so lazy and stupid will help?

Aug 1, 2010 9:37 AM

Sohei said:
zharnotczar said:

That assumes that people only post short replies because they want to see their post count go up, which is not necessarily the case. Some simply don't know better. And most of the hardcore +1 guys live in +1 clubs anyway.
It doesn't assume that. It hopes to prevent posting from being a game. I fail to see anything gained from post counting. If nothing is gained from post counting, nothing would be lost by getting rid of it. And by getting rid of it, the site could potentially be improved.

Aug 1, 2010 10:32 AM
Well...the main reason of post counter is to increase the activeness of the forum.
I don't see much problem in that.
zharnotczar said:
It doesn't assume that. It hopes to prevent posting from being a game.

Some people I know can even have pride of having low post count.They even create extra account just to post random message.The post counter is not that all bad.

Aug 1, 2010 10:44 AM

About the "useless threads" aspect, what if new threads had to be approved by mods before they appeared on the forums? It might help with the abundance of "stupid" threads on the boards.

Also, supporting the whole "more mods" idea that's been beaten into the ground by now.

Aironic said:

So you ignored your own thread rules because you wanted to follow the example of the lower-end members? Good to know.

Aug 1, 2010 11:01 AM

zharnotczar said:
Sohei said:
zharnotczar said:

It doesn't assume that. It hopes to prevent posting from being a game. I fail to see anything gained from post counting. If nothing is gained from post counting, nothing would be lost by getting rid of it. And by getting rid of it, the site could potentially be improved.
right you are, and I have nothing against it.

But i'm sure many do.

Aug 1, 2010 11:10 AM
Monia-Hime

Zukin-Man said:
About the "useless threads" aspect, what if new threads had to be approved by mods before they appeared on the forums? It might help with the abundance of "stupid" threads on the boards.
This, though we may end up not having any [new] threads at All, finding a way to encourage the serious people to make good thread can help too.

Aug 1, 2010 11:21 AM

Aug 1, 2010 12:40 PM

Asako said:
A large part of that, I think, is because people just follow the way others post. If they see people just quotechaining, or +1ing, replying with a lol or no or whatever short useless reply, they'll do it too. And so the cycle continues and snowballs out of control before long.

Yes, this. I usually judge a thread by these sorts of posts to decide if it's even worth posting somewhere. I am not one to post things like "this is a stupid thread," or one word answers, even when I wish to. I tend to ramble more than I originally plan as well. ^^;

But thank you for posting this. While it may appear tl;dr for some people, it's a friendly, understandable, and respectable reminder.

Aug 1, 2010 1:44 PM

It's times like these that make me thankful that I post in the spam forums as well. A safe haven.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 23, 2010 6:55 PM

did you delete my reply in the loli thread where i said something about me not supporting rape under any terms unless 18, and then saying afterwards "jk". idk, was it a touchy subject for you? if so, i'm sorry.

Sep 23, 2010 7:42 PM

I see my post was deleted as well (even though I was making a (lame) forum style joke by editing another user's post). I thought it would be :P

Whatever

So, has xinil actually noticed the thread that was spawned of this one?
Modified by zharnotczar, Sep 23, 2010 7:49 PM

Sep 24, 2010 5:06 AM

I know I'm guilty of posting useless comments. I'll make sure to look out for it because I really didn't intend to join this site so I could annoy people like a lot of the guys who hang around spam.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]