Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you LIKE or DISLIKE COSPLAY?
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Oct 1, 2008 6:16 PM
Mar 2008
I hate it if the person looks like they spent no time at all making their outfit or they really have no sense of what the hell they are doing. But generally I loove cosplaying.
Oct 1, 2008 6:44 PM

Jul 2008
Cosplay can be amazing if the person who's doing it put some effort into the costume, and at least slightly resembles the character. I absolutely HATE to see a butchered costume of a good character though. Honestly, if you're going to make the costume and go to a convention, why would you not put enough work into it to make it look good? That just totally blows my mind. Really, whether you do a good job or not on the costume it's still a pretty expensive hobby, so if you're going to do it you might as well go the extra mile and make it as perfect as you can get it.

I personally love cosplay. I've cosplayed Sophitia (Soul Calibur), Kadaj (FF7), Zexion (KH CoM), Mitsuru (Persona 3), Agito (Air Gear) and I'm working on Fai (Tsubasa RC) and my friend and I are planning an L and Light cosplay. I'm not about to say I'm an expert cosplayer, because I've definitely seen other cosplayers that have done a better job on the character than I have, but I do the best I can, and when something doesn't work out the way I want it to I keep trying until I get it right.

I think I mentioned this above, but one thing I always try to do when I cosplay is find characters that I at least slightly look like. I love to crossplay, but I've got very feminine facial features. My solution - feminine guys. XD Also, notice how all the character I've done, with the exception of Fai and Kadaj, are short? I'm what you'd call 'vertically challenged' at only five feet tall, and I think it really adds that extra awesome when you see someone cosplaying a character you love and they're actually around the height you'd expect. Which would you rather see - an Agito that towers above you, or one that is a shrimp? Also, as much as I would love to cosplay a character like Yuko or maybe even Misa, I'm just not quite... Well enough endowed in the chest area to make those cosplays really successful. And, yeah, I understand that you can't always be a perfect match for a character you'd like to cosplay, but it really does add an extra awesomeness if you pick characters that slightly resemble you. I love seeing a cosplayer who actually looks like the character.

And, since it's worth restating, extra points if you at least make an attempt to stay in character. I can definitely understand that sometimes a certain situation demands that you break character for a little bit though, and sometimes it's just impossible to hold character all day. After emoing it up all day as Zexion at Otafest last year, there were a few times when I had to totally fangirl out and glomp someone.
Oct 2, 2008 4:28 AM

Dec 2007
AnyaOtaku said:

I think I mentioned this above, but one thing I always try to do when I cosplay is find characters that I at least slightly look like. I love to crossplay, but I've got very feminine facial features. My solution - feminine guys. XD Also, notice how all the character I've done, with the exception of Fai and Kadaj, are short? I'm what you'd call 'vertically challenged' at only five feet tall, and I think it really adds that extra awesome when you see someone cosplaying a character you love and they're actually around the height you'd expect. Which would you rather see - an Agito that towers above you, or one that is a shrimp? Also, as much as I would love to cosplay a character like Yuko or maybe even Misa, I'm just not quite... Well enough endowed in the chest area to make those cosplays really successful. And, yeah, I understand that you can't always be a perfect match for a character you'd like to cosplay, but it really does add an extra awesomeness if you pick characters that slightly resemble you. I love seeing a cosplayer who actually looks like the character.

And, since it's worth restating, extra points if you at least make an attempt to stay in character. I can definitely understand that sometimes a certain situation demands that you break character for a little bit though, and sometimes it's just impossible to hold character all day. After emoing it up all day as Zexion at Otafest last year, there were a few times when I had to totally fangirl out and glomp someone.

Now that's it. Kind of. If I was a juri I'd slash you out of competition for a fangirl attitude, but yet again I love theatre and am very elitist. xD Everyone is glad I'm not invited for juri very often. xD

But really, even though it's hard to be a character some times (and, really, some characters are really BORING when you study them. Even though they look cool and such, their regular life, which is what you transmit in a convention, is BORING) I HATE people that just don't put any effort. Like last convention I went to, you had an L (Death Note) that was running around through the space, screaming like a child and pretending he was a monkey. I was tempted to blow him up with any kind of available weapon, but yet again cardboard weapons are not cool.

And also agree, VERY MUCH, to " find characters that I at least slightly look like". I had to cosplay guys many times, fortunately none of them had really masculine faces. I HATE (but really do) random guys dressed in Sailormoon suits or stuff like that. I also make an effort to, whenever we have to include guys on our cosplay, to find the most exact possible copy. This is how my 60 y/o father ended up cosplaying with Cowboy Bebop group. On the other hand, if it's a magical girl anime I like to replace all the guys with children *pokes 6 y/o godson* People plainly love to see children all dressed up. xD

On a final note, I see many people that go to conventions and cosplay just because "yaaaay it's fun to dress up where other people are dressed up". There are people that want to join our group because "yaaay let's make clothes to dress up on Mardi Gras (our equivalent to Halloween)" A suit is not just for Halloween. And I truly admire the people that, before each convention, train their skit at every subway stop. Even dressing up at home and go "as character" to the place is already admirable.
But really, if people don't want to put an effort on it, doing the suits and working on character... Don't do it. It's annoying for everyone else who worked on it.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Oct 2, 2008 4:40 AM

Aug 2008
I'v seen the 'good cosplayers' the acting and all is good and some of the skits are funny. But i really hate it how people dress up as anime characters. It just looks so wrong! When you put the 2d anime into a 3d person it just takes away the 'cool' effect for me. But i guess if people enjoy it, they should do it. But i still hate it.
Oct 2, 2008 4:42 AM

May 2008
Don't care much for it, though there a couple of Cosplayer girls who look kind of hot.
Oct 2, 2008 4:47 AM

Aug 2008
I think there should be more options for answers...love and hate? this is oddly like the Donnie Darko Fear and Love...You cant just bunch it up ^_^

But I dont mind cosplay, I think its a fun idea. but not much artistic talent in me so I would more than likely be the one who gives it a bad name haha
Oct 10, 2008 4:17 PM

May 2008
I think cosplay is fun but it is weird when some fat person tries to dress up in a tight costume that doesn't look good.
Oct 10, 2008 4:29 PM

Oct 2008
I like it and would love to try it, but when creepy old fat guys cosplay girls...that's a little weird...o_O
Oct 10, 2008 4:32 PM

May 2008
GoTF said:
I love good cosplay.

I despise crappy cosplay.

I'm indifferent towards average cosplay.

I agree with you because if it's well done, then it's worth seeing, but if it's crappy and doesn't have effort put into it, it is not worth cosplaying that character

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Oct 10, 2008 6:24 PM

Sep 2008
I love it, as long as it's done right. Whenever I'm bored I like to look up cosplay pictures and videos, they're fun to look at ^.^
I would love to do it myself, if I could get people to do it with me/the money to be able to/the skills to sew/etc.
Oct 10, 2008 6:34 PM

Sep 2008
Ive never had the oppertunity but I would like to try one day.
Oct 10, 2008 7:59 PM

Jun 2008
I would love to, but I can make my costumes and I don't know anyone who will make one for me. -_-
(づ°‿°.)づ
Oct 10, 2008 8:36 PM

Jul 2007
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ cosplay xD
Oct 10, 2008 8:39 PM

Jul 2008
yay for cosplay =D

anyone cosplaying for halloween?

im going as hijikata =D
Oct 10, 2008 9:01 PM

Aug 2008
Actually I love to see people who love anime so much that they don't care how they look.

Oct 10, 2008 9:15 PM

Oct 2008
Lumen_Caeli said:
I'm a stickler for detail so when I see someone in a poorly-made costume, it really annoys me...

I agree, if you're going to cosplay I think it should be done faithfully to said costume/character.
Oct 11, 2008 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
infiltrate said:
Lumen_Caeli said:
I'm a stickler for detail so when I see someone in a poorly-made costume, it really annoys me...

I agree, if you're going to cosplay I think it should be done faithfully to said costume/character.

The L cosplayers really annoys me. Cool character, but it's like over 9000 L's in an anime cosplay gathering.
Oct 11, 2008 1:16 PM

Jul 2008
I like it. Sure, some cosplayers fail hard, but some people can make unbelievable costumes and look just like the character.
Oct 12, 2008 5:56 PM

Jun 2008
I only like cosplay if the person can pull it off well.
Oct 13, 2008 1:39 AM

Jul 2008
Not really, I suppose. I don't play any cosplay nor enjoy watching it. I flip the magazine if it comes to cosplay review/news. I guess I'm being neutral toward those guys who play the cosplay (or I'll turn my head off toward people who try to act as cool as Cloud or CC without knowing, "ghess, you're even less than the actual chars - don't ruin my imagination") and admire the costume designer who take their effort to create and make it look like the real one.
Oct 13, 2008 2:40 AM

Sep 2008
I would say both like and disslike, you need to have good clothes and the right look for the character your playing or else it can really look bad. I myself have not done cosplaying cuz making my own clotes isn't even on my list.
Oct 16, 2008 1:47 PM

Sep 2008
i don't really like it. it doesn't do justice to anime and makes it look awkward. >_>

Oct 18, 2008 12:11 AM

Aug 2008
astronomical said:
It really depends on how it's done.

I agree. Not to bag on Americans, but I can see where the original poster's train of thought is coming from. Here in the States, a number of cosplayers are overweight or do a poor job on their costume. In Japan, the majority of cosplayers are quite professional and dedicated to their craft. It's practically an art form over there...
Oct 18, 2008 12:56 PM

Aug 2008
I love it.
Oct 20, 2008 10:22 PM

Apr 2008
dislike :(
Oct 21, 2008 4:11 PM

Apr 2008
I love cosplay even though I don't do it. I think shows me how much that person really loves that character from the anime their cosplaying from.
Nov 7, 2008 10:00 PM
Dec 2007
sometimes i hate it but sometimes not...bec. some of the cosplayers were not that good....isnt?
Nov 7, 2008 11:34 PM

Aug 2007
No, I do not like or dislike cosplay.

Ooops no poll option.
Nov 8, 2008 12:32 AM

Oct 2008
I'm particularly fond of marvelous cosplay, not so much fond of average cosplay, terrible cosplay, or very pretentious cosplayers (ala Kim_the_cheater). I am acquainted with a few notable ones of the current times, LoranBasaraEvin, Maguma, Juego, UsaKou, chit chatted with s0ni for a bit.

Most of the truly spectacular cosplay I've seen are non-anime related. Like this little gem right here.

And I do frequently see people dressing up as myself, heres this one fan of mine, he looks quite a lot like my tenth life.

Your simple world can be a fantastic place, you just have to know where to look.
Nov 8, 2008 3:44 AM

Nov 2007
I like it when it's done "properly" and I extremely dislike it when I see a very bad job because it gives anime watchers a bad name D:
Nov 8, 2008 4:01 AM

Jul 2008
I looooooooove cosplay. Although I've never done it myself.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 8, 2008 4:11 AM

Oct 2007
only hot asian schoolgirls should cosplay. stop bastardizating (?) my characters you fattys.

Dreamt Of You Again
Under The Sakura Tree
Just Like We Promised

CLICK HERE TO SEE ME NAKED
Nov 8, 2008 4:19 AM

Oct 2008
PunPunBaka said:
only hot asian schoolgirls should cosplay. stop bastardizating (?) my characters you fattys.

Ohoho chap I want to see you eat those words right now

And sometimes only an overweight person can truly cosplay a certain character for a fantastic, absolutely fantastic outcome.

Your simple world can be a fantastic place, you just have to know where to look.
Nov 8, 2008 4:23 AM

Oct 2007
The_Doctor said:
PunPunBaka said:

Ohoho chap I want to see you eat those words right now

And sometimes only an overweight person can truly cosplay a certain character for a fantastic, absolutely fantastic outcome.

usually white people cosplaying dont tickle my fancy but your point was received.

oh i forgot about that show. XLG.. something about a robot and chick from the future. was pretty enjoyable.

Dreamt Of You Again
Under The Sakura Tree
Just Like We Promised

CLICK HERE TO SEE ME NAKED
Nov 8, 2008 4:27 AM

Oct 2008
PunPunBaka said:

usually white people cosplaying dont tickle my fancy but your point was received.

oh i forgot about that show. XLG.. something about a robot and chick from the future. was pretty enjoyable.

Ah well hopefully your tastes aren't too racially biased.

Megas XLR, that old cartoon tributed to so many classic Sci-Fi anime series better than most current Mecha parody animes. One episode you have Captain Harlock with Bruce Campbell, the next you have Space Battleship Yamato fighting Char Aznable.
Nov 8, 2008 6:15 AM

Feb 2008
I think it's really cool.I like to watch people doing cosplay,anyway if it's a good cosplay I stay and watch it till the end O.O
Dec 5, 2008 9:00 AM
Nov 2008
I like very much Cosplay
but the only cosplay that I like are the one where is made by Japanese I don't like when Europeans do Cosplay I only think that Cosplay are only for Japanese poeple especially the Japanese girls
Dec 5, 2008 9:07 AM

Nov 2008
When done right, it can be pretty awesome, but it's never something I would do.

When done wrong, I have come pretty close to gouging my eyes out with

<---- that spoon.

NOTE: I am a legitimate (meaning usually on-topic and polite) hit-and-run poster. Do not expect me to reply to your reply to my reply.
Jan 20, 2009 5:33 AM
Dec 2007
I loooooooooooove it I`m one myself XD?
Jan 20, 2009 6:17 AM

Dec 2008
i like it if the ppls looks actually match the charakters they play... otherwise its going totally wrong way too often...
Jan 20, 2009 6:29 AM

Nov 2008
I love it. Would love it more if I could actually do it myself n.n;
Jan 20, 2009 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
Love it if done right, like this one

Jan 20, 2009 10:12 AM

Jan 2009
I like cosplaying if:
1) you're having fun
2) you dress up nicely and actually look a bit like the character

I hate it if:
1) people go all in-dept in it and say what a loser you are for not being a real cosplayer (seriously, I've met people like this irl. They're hilarious and irritating at the same time. "Hey, I wanna be a White Smith from Ragnarok. "LOLOL THAT NO ANIME, u cant enter animeconvention cuz its a mmo". )
2)people who don't look like the anime character and still dress up like them. I've seen fat Faye's (CB), I've seen skinny Ryu's (SF) and for God's sake, I've seen messed up FFVII characters!
"No, if you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic." - House
Jan 20, 2009 10:37 AM

Aug 2008
cosplay is f*cking awsome xD
Jan 20, 2009 12:10 PM

Jul 2007
I am indifferent to it.
Jan 20, 2009 12:11 PM

Sep 2008
I hate most of it.
Jan 20, 2009 12:37 PM

Dec 2008
It's a little of both for me,when i cosplayed Allen Walker the wig felt a little weird, while i cosplayed Light all i did was comb and gel my hair which made it fun and easier.
Jan 20, 2009 12:38 PM
Jan 2009
It's all in fun... of course, there are those that take it too far and just embarrass the community at large.

I mean, look at it this way, you have:

-Good cosplay, they just genuinely make a good re-creation of a character
-Bad cosplay, poorly made costume, looks like Halloween or something you keep to just you and your friends for kicks.
-Terri-bad cosplay: Cosplay done badly for humor (see: Man-Faye)
Jan 20, 2009 12:57 PM

Dec 2008
As a cosplayer, I enjoy it. I mean, I just do it for fun. If you're offended by it, then just avoid an anime convention? I mean aside from that, I do not cosplay out in public except for Halloween (which normally falls on a con for me), or the rare meet-up. Although it would be nice if some people picked cosplays that suited their bodies better...

Quoting 12 yr old cosplayer Ysabel:
"Cosplay is for fun. It's a misunderstood hobby with a good and bad side. If everything is going good in your cosplay, keep it up just don’t lose your head in its fictional world. Keep priorities like family and school in order. If things aren’t great, do not be disheartened from doing what you love. As long as you are having fun, keep going!

It’s a different kind of happy-high when you are among fellow cosplayers but at the end of the day, it only matters if you enjoyed yourself or not. It’s not about popularity or pageviews, having fans or not, being better than others... no. It’s about expressing yourself through a character you love and sharing it with others.

Hopefully, you’ll make friendships that will last even when the costumes are faded, wigs worn out and cameras stop flashing."

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Jan 20, 2009 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
i really love cosplay :3 but i live in greece and there are no events. just once or twice a year. some friends host it so it's pretty small :p

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 9 hours ago

38 by DarkShame2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

69 by Kenzolo-folk »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 25 minutes ago

4 by TheMangaManiac »»
5 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

39 by Horizon248 »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

174 by Acctra »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.