Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Demon City Shinjuku Episode 1 Discussion

Jul 30, 2010 9:06 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
One word: Entertaining.

I usually don't watch this stuff, but sometimes I just go and watch some common horror/supernatural entertainment, it's healthy. Ok music and pretty good animation.

Feb 1, 2015 8:08 PM

Yeah, I agree, it was entertaining.
Didn't blow me away or anything.

I'm on the other side of the coin, I tend to watch a lot of this stuff (classic OVAs, that is), and this one, while it had good directing and was animated nicely, it also had a pretty average story and a pretty average script on top of that, which kept it from being as good as it could be.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 5, 2015 4:18 AM
this was average in every way. not a single character was memorable, and mephisto did not serve any purpose - why was he even there? what was his back story? all in all, this was a very pale version of wicked city.

Dec 3, 2015 5:35 PM

sdb68 said:
this was average in every way. not a single character was memorable, and mephisto did not serve any purpose - why was he even there? what was his back story? all in all, this was a very pale version of wicked city.

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself .

Mar 27, 2016 7:34 PM

This and Wicked City are 10/10 in style (love that red/blue), but while less "adult" I find this one more enjoyable.

I like how the main character never had any great skill, even at the end 8)

Apr 13, 2016 8:42 PM

It was a PG-13 version of Wicked City. It was enjoyable, but not great. Glad to own it on DVD since I grew up with it on TV.

Sep 1, 2016 9:25 AM

I liked the fights and the animation.

Jun 14, 2017 1:21 PM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Had some memorable imagery, detailed artwork and a haunting atmosphere but the characters weren't memorable in the slightest, the exposition was subpar and the ending was far too sappy to fit with the rest of the film. Makes for a nice tone piece, but it's pretty mediocre regardless.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Jul 31, 2017 3:33 AM

The impression of fastforwarding through the beginning of the OAV (post-prologue) was strong. I followed bits of action following each other, not even correctly linked together. The novel is surely better in that regard, even with this average story.
The best part is when you realize that the action sequences are very uninteresting while they seem to be the only reason for this videotape to exist.

I don't like to use this word but it was BORING. As boring as watching noseless girls doing aimless things.
At least, it has its overall design (apocalyptic Shinjuku, Kawajiri's charadesign), drawings and animation going for it. Nice to have Hiromi Tsuru, but her role was.. underwhelming (funny thing: the end made the girl sound like a saviour).

It was hilarious to see the OAV trying so hard to sell Mephisto as the ultra-cool character.

Enjoyment: 3/5

Score: 4/10
1. Is this really Kawajiri's doing?
2. I read critics comparing it to Escape from New York. A shame for the movie.
3. How did this end on ANN's "Other 100 best movies" ? XD

I wonder if the english edition of the novel and its sequel are still available.

@CodeBlazeFate Still looking for stupidly bad things? Look no further.
Modified by Rei366, Aug 29, 2017 11:30 AM

May 1, 2018 3:44 AM

If it wasn't for the flash animation fights this would have been easy 10/10.
Beautiful background art, nice music and overall an easy story to follow. One of the best OVAs I've seen so far.

Jan 26, 6:05 PM

Great art style, fun music, and lack luster story. I watched the dub version of this which was rather terrible, but it wasn't too distracting to what was going on. The ending was rather strange (one shot kill?!?), but it was entertaining overall. It was a nice action OVA that didn't require much thought :). 7/10.

May 19, 2:04 PM
Not the best ova, that's for sure. Even for its time.
But that was the first title that I saw. I was very little and watched this on a tv cable channel in early 90s. The only two moments I remember from the childhood were falling from the rails into something and fight with weird and dangerous girl.

And now after all this years I finally can re-watch the anime. Wow. Just wow. So I am not rate this by its quality, but as a first memory, as a wonderful gift from the past. Anyway nowadays I understand how bad it is. But I like it.

May 23, 1:08 PM

AllenVonStein said:
sdb68 said:

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself .
+2 this, it was really average 6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.