Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 30, 2010 3:24 PM

Oct 2007
L~R is so popular in Japanese that you get used to it after few episodes.
I have never met with D~Z
'u' after 'k' is really short, almost unnoticeable. Also, it's really common.
It's completely different when it comes to 'z' and 'd'

Yeah, katakana is 'ku', but 'u' isn't as strongly accented as 'k' when foreign name is spoken (I'm talking about a name where afkter 'k' there is another consonant, not vowel), in reality is quite simmilar to original, you can see real difference only in transcription.
Jul 30, 2010 3:28 PM
Feb 2008
ty for subs. interesting anime
Jul 30, 2010 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
miasmacloud said:
Progeusz said:
Then why aren't you complaining about all of the other names? <- You mean e.g. Lee? It's okay, they say Lee, I read Lee.

But the voice actors don't say "Lee", they say "Ri". That's the katakana for her name, so that's what they say in Japanese. They don't say "Cleo" either, they say "Kureo".

Hey, why aren't you spelling リィ's name right? Lee looks like a translation of it into another language.

Yes, you should've used 李. What were you thinking writing out her name in Roman characters?
Jul 30, 2010 3:45 PM
Jul 2010
Progeusz said:
Names should be spelled the same in every language...

OK, this clinches it: you're either literally 14 years old, trolling, or just incredibly dumb.

I'm probably wasting my time but let me write some words about this.
To start off, different languages have different alphabets, and there are no straight equivalences between letters in different alphabets. Even when two languages are using the SAME alphabet, letters are usually not pronounced the same.

Second, different languages have different sounds. For example, as you yourself pointed out, Japanese usually doesn't make any distinction between "r" and "l". Many sounds exist in all (or most) languages, but there's no guarantee of that, and there's no guarantee there is an accepted way to spell a certain sound in a certain language.

To deal with these problems we can either use the international phonetic alphabet (IPA, look it up on wikipedia) which DOES provide an unambiguous way to write every sound in every human language, or we make approximations or translations (romanization, in our case, since we write with the roman alphabet) of words in foreign languages. Since the IPA is only useful as a pronunciation guide and isn't really practical as a written language, we usually do the latter.

In this particular case you seem to be complaining about the romanization of certain names. There are many standard methods of romanizing Japanese so it's reasonably pronounceable by an English speaker, but I can guarantee that not a single one of them would result in シギュン being spelled "Shigwen". "Shigyun" would be a more accepted way to romanize it, if you insist on spelling it like it's pronounced in Japanese. However, since the creators obviously intended the character names to be based on characters from Old Norse mythology, gg chose to write it as "Sigyn" (which, incidentally, is an approximation TOO, because in actual Old Norse the name would be written with runes that I don't have Unicode glyphs for; it wouldn't be pronounced like an English speaker would pronounce it either, much less how it's pronounced by the Japanese voice actors).

Hodr should technically be spelled Höðr, by the way, if you want to use letters that actually matches how it was probably pronounced in Old Norse (the letters are actually modern Icelandic, but that's the currently living language that is closest to Old Norse; several of their letters are direct equivalents of old runic characters).

edit: have some interesting wikipedia links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse_orthography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B6%C3%B0r#cite_ref-0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA
rhxJul 30, 2010 3:55 PM
Jul 30, 2010 3:53 PM

Apr 2010
Progeusz said:

let's see...
Norse - Hodr
Official Website - Hodr
Subs - Hodr

Should there really be any problem here?
Jul 30, 2010 3:59 PM

Oct 2007
sorry, I mixed up 'spelled' and 'pronounced' by accident, it's hard to talk on forum, irc and communicator at the same time ^^'
Jul 30, 2010 4:01 PM

Jul 2009
Charmaine said:

If the IPA chart is wrong, would you care to explain how you're supposed to pronounce "z" and "d"?

Stop being such a bitch. If something this insignificant is going to ruin your enjoyment of the show then wait for another group to sub it.

Fansub groups aren't obligated to translate a certain way.
Jul 30, 2010 4:02 PM
Jul 2010
Progeusz said:
sorry, I mixed up 'spelled' and 'pronounced' by accident, it's hard to talk on forum, irc and communicator at the same time ^^'

It still doesn't make any sense in practice. Most westerners can't even pronounce some of the sounds used in, say, Chinese. The Japanese voice actors in Break Blade certainly can't pronounce English properly, let alone Old Norse.
Jul 30, 2010 4:11 PM

Jun 2009
Progeusz said:

Progeusz said:
I watch anime with subs because I want to understand what characters are saying. Names DO NOT translate.

I really don't like arguing about how to pronounce or to spell different words but I would like to point out that names do change both their pronunciation and their spelling depending of the language. As a Swede I can perfectly pronounce all these old Norse names but I severely doubt that you can repeat this after me. That's why it is normal that each name has its "counterpart" within translations. I would really like to hear how you'll pronounce such everyday Swedish names as Örjan or Göran
Jul 30, 2010 4:13 PM

Oct 2007
In this particular case you seem to be complaining about the romanization of certain names. <- Yes, imo romanization should be written in a way where reading it with English pronunciation will result in the same (or possibly closest) pronunciation as Japanese. In anime I hear 'hozul(r)', but in the subs I read 'hodr'.

"Shigyun" <- Fine with me, I'm used to "Shigwen" so I use this form, but I agree, "Shigyun" is more accurate to what characters say in anime.

Höðr <- Hmm, I wonder how could it be written with English letters, maybe Hidr (while "i" is spoken like in "this") /that's also an answer to you, konnakude ;) I belive ö is spoken in Swedish jutst like in German

Göran - G like in game, ö ~like i in this, ran like run in English :P
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 4:23 PM
Jul 30, 2010 4:15 PM

Apr 2010
rhx said:
It still doesn't make any sense in practice. Most westerners can't even pronounce some of the sounds used in, say, Chinese.

I can vouch for that; my friend is an example and it's tiring to listen to something that sounds so~ racist sometimes, but the sad part is that he really is trying. x.x

konnakude said:
I would really like to hear how you'll pronounce such everyday Swedish names as Örjan or Göran

uhh...Örjan...Orjan? Göran...Jordan? :D did I say it right? lol jkn', I know I failed
Jul 30, 2010 4:21 PM
Aug 2009
I dont watch mech shows but gave this a shot anyway. Great choice, definitly worth it. Look forward to the second part.
Jul 30, 2010 4:27 PM

Aug 2007
Progeusz said:
In this particular case you seem to be complaining about the romanization of certain names. <- Yes, imo romanization should be written in a way where reading it with English pronunciation will result in the same (or possibly closest) pronunciation as Japanese. In anime I hear 'hozul(r)', but in the subs I read 'hodr'.

Ghoti = Fish
Jul 30, 2010 4:28 PM

Oct 2007
konnakude, did I pass? ;) /ah, J like y in yell

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3397/breakblade.png <- I would use it as wallpaper if I had panoramic monitor :P

Ghoti = Fish <- Right, that's why "Hidr" would be bad, it would need a special note how to read "i"
English doesn't have letter for that vowel, luckily in Polish it's "y". We make English "waɪ" with "łaj" :P
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 4:33 PM
Jul 30, 2010 4:30 PM

Aug 2007
Phish is the name of a band and it happens to be pronounced the same way as Fish. :colbert:
Jul 30, 2010 4:31 PM

Apr 2010
miasmacloud said:
Phish is the name of a band and it happens to be pronounced the same way as Fish. :colbert:

I stand corrected xP
Jul 30, 2010 4:32 PM

Jun 2009
Göran is actually pronounced yo- run
Örjan is o like in 'word' so it'll be o-ryi-un

so dear Progeusz you've failed!
Jul 30, 2010 4:37 PM

Oct 2007
so I admit my defeat :) I thought that German and Swedish would be more alike, afaik they have simmilar roots. /"Many" is "Många" in Swedish, nice xD /silly me, I forgot about Sven-Göran Eriksson >.>
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 4:46 PM
Jul 30, 2010 5:01 PM

Nov 2006
hahahaha, this thread. mal users always manage to surprise me.
Jul 30, 2010 5:03 PM

Nov 2007
windy said:
This whole debate shouldn't have taken four fucking pages my god.
Jul 30, 2010 5:05 PM

Nov 2006
Xjellocross said:
windy said:
This whole debate shouldn't have taken four fucking pages my god.
but talking about different pronunciations of katakana is so DEEP and interesting it simply can't be covered in a few posts!
Jul 30, 2010 5:11 PM

Oct 2007
It seems it has already ended if there are comments loling at the case xD /Hope I will get used to names by the 27th August :P See ya later ;)
Jul 30, 2010 5:48 PM

Jul 2009
Great adaptation to say the least. I'm a follower of the manga and this movie covered up the entire first volume + a little bit of the second volume. Good pacing, fantastic animation, great soundtrack / op / ed and the characters will be develop in the next volume. And the whole cliché thing of figthing his friend is not the main story. It's just there, but... anyway... you'll see in the third movie XD

Overall: 9/10
Jul 30, 2010 6:21 PM

Nov 2007
The sheer amount of stupidity that arises from a single stubborn fool on MAL never ceases to amaze me. At least the other members got a 4 page lesson on how to and not handle Katakana and romanization, right?

Anyway, good movie. I'm loving the overall production. Funny how I woud have overlooked this if it weren't for KOKIA <3.
Jul 30, 2010 6:29 PM

Apr 2010
Kantarou said:
The sheer amount of stupidity that arises from a single stubborn fool on MAL never ceases to amaze me. At least the other members got a 4 page lesson on how to and not handle Katakana and romanization, right?

Anyway, good movie. I'm loving the overall production. Funny how I woud have overlooked this if it weren't for KOKIA <3.

lol I doubt that there was only one stubborn person on that debate.
Jul 30, 2010 7:05 PM

Nov 2007
dramahurtsmyarse said:
lol I doubt that there was only one stubborn person on that debate.
Ok, so there were a few, but I'm referring to the cause =P. The others were justified imo lol.
Jul 30, 2010 9:39 PM

Apr 2009
All the main characters are based on pretty annoying archetypes. Lee looked like a psycho bitch. lol. Oh well, pretty good production values and wasn't boring. Looking forward to the next installment.
Jul 30, 2010 11:16 PM
Jun 2010
Please stop giving Progeusz attention. He is out of his league here. English obviously isn't even his first language and here we are discussing translated phonetics. What is the fucking point seriously. There is no arguing with someone who's testicles haven't even descended from his lower abdomen.

Good job from gg imo.
Jul 30, 2010 11:43 PM

Apr 2009
LOL, what's with people trying to keep their weeabooisms intact? That was interesting, but the premise is very funny. People can control quartz (of all minerals). Why? Because magic. It seems the King and Queen are having marriage problems D=. The mechs are a little lame, but at least they're not Isekai Seikishi no Monogatari lame. 8/10, so far.
Jul 30, 2010 11:59 PM

Jan 2009
GG Fansubs Rule!!!l

as for the movie not bad im officially interested waiting for the next movies
Jul 31, 2010 2:09 AM

Dec 2009
Awesome . It's a little cliche but it has a special charm .. idk , when does the second movie air ? xD
Jul 31, 2010 2:42 AM

Apr 2009
alwaysbored said:
Awesome . It's a little cliche but it has a special charm .. idk , when does the second movie air ? xD
It already has (DVD in a month), and the 3rd airs in September.
Jul 31, 2010 4:23 AM

May 2008
Pretty nice settings for the story and the animation is just amazing. I wasn't really interested in the manga, but now maybe I'll look into it a bit.~
Also the opening is superb~
Jul 31, 2010 5:36 AM

Apr 2009
8/10.. this is generic mech stuff done right.. with good animation and KOKIA doing the OP..

i know nothing about this coz i don't read manga but from what i can see, this has to be a post-apocalyptic world where the "ancients" are humans.. and after a lot of years when they lost their technology, humans evolved into beings that can manipulate quartz (and gained new ways for technology).. due to genetics, there are abnormalities for some members of this new species that makes them resemble "ancient" humans (Rygart is one).. the "ancient" mech they dug up may have some sort of DNA analyzing device that makes our protag pilot it.. however, the mech's said to be rushed construction for a certain purpose -part is still a puzzle for me to find out..

i'm waiting for the queen to have an affair with Rygart..

and i might be arrested because Cleo is only 12..
Jul 31, 2010 5:45 AM

Jan 2009
for the 1st part it was OK.
Jul 31, 2010 8:45 AM

Jan 2010
I am so loving this. The animation and music are superb.

That Cleo girl is definitely not 12.
Jul 31, 2010 3:18 PM

Mar 2008
It was alright, I like the manga better though.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." -Friedrich Nietzsche | Last.fm

Jul 31, 2010 4:53 PM

Sep 2009
ReaperEXE said:
It seems the King and Queen are having marriage problems D=.
I can already picture Hodr handing over Sigyn and saying 'She was always yours' at the end XD

Awesome opening....Kokia♥
Jul 31, 2010 5:46 PM

May 2009
Hell yes, this looks like a kickass mecha anime judging by this first part. I have no problem with the whole "friends becoming enemies" plot, because it's one of my favorite types of plot.
I like the mechas; they look kind of old and worn down but their movements are fluid and the pressure weapons are cool.
Animation is great and I like all the seiyuus too.
I'm looking forward to the second part!
Jul 31, 2010 5:58 PM
Oct 2009
a bit too generic; the story and characters are a dime a dozen. if this show were in black and white, i'd have a hard time telling who is who between the 4 main characters. also stupid things such as cleo - what is the point of making her 12? what the hell is wrong with japan?

premise is interesting enough and the art and animation were pretty great. a decent enough story and all those frills will go a long way, but i wonder how these characters and plot will hold up over the course of 6 movies.
theamatomachineJul 31, 2010 6:30 PM
Jul 31, 2010 7:30 PM

Jan 2010
shuwashuwa said:
I am so loving this. The animation and music are superb.

That Cleo girl is definitely not 12.

I thought Yoko was fucking out of this world..
Now we have Cleo.. LOL

Anyways, I feel this did do the manga justice - though I was never really a fan of the manga in the first place, I could see an anime adaptation of reasonable standard coming out.

Movies are much better than a TV series in my opinion. I think this was a good idea.
Looking forward to the next movie.
Jul 31, 2010 8:00 PM

Jan 2010
Amazingly practically no CG was used in animating this movie. That is something I value very highly. The art itself was awesome as well, even if it's a bit generic, I liked it a lot.

*off to read the manga*
Jul 31, 2010 9:23 PM

Jan 2010
I have to say, despite it having a kinda generic plot..the visuals made up for it completely. I haven't seen mecha visuals like this in a long time...this is definitely a will continue to watch.

I personally want to see what will come of the King/Queen's relationship since the queen's old love is back and fighting in his fancy robot and since she probably schlicks to robots there's definitely gonna be some drama with the addition Rygart.
Ok™
Aug 1, 2010 3:36 AM

Apr 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:
ReaperEXE said:
It seems the King and Queen are having marriage problems D=.
I can already picture Hodr handing over Sigyn and saying 'She was always yours' at the end XD

Awesome opening....Kokia♥

THIS THIS THIS
Aug 1, 2010 4:32 AM

Jan 2008
My head hurts from watching these generic characters and dull dialogues. I hope there's more action in next installments. Pretty underwhelming experience to say the least. It's hard to be a mecha fan these days, almost only copypasta out there.

6/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Aug 1, 2010 5:35 AM

Dec 2009
THIS WAS EPIC,
i wonder what kind of skills Rygnart will develop.
he will get Sygin, she is FKING Hawt
Aug 1, 2010 12:29 PM

May 2009
The OP is definitely good, and I'm happy that Kokia is coming to my country's AnimeCon this fall. I hope she will perfrorm this piece too.
Aug 1, 2010 7:58 PM

Feb 2010
That was an epic adaptation, I loved it! Perfect ambientation and OST.
Delphine's awakening was speechless, I'm looking forward to see the other movies, since the story will get a lot better.
FaytzAug 1, 2010 8:02 PM
Aug 2, 2010 7:46 AM

Jan 2009
http://a.imageshack.us/img535/8117/breakbladepopularitymon.jpg
Yay popularity.

Anyways, I'd give it a 8/10 just cause the animation. Story wasn't especially special, but it was okay, I suppose.

ALSO, PLEASE, I DON'T WANT MARRIED WOMAN X MAIN CHARACTER. I foreshadow crappy drama from that not-wearing-the-ring scene. ;_;

EDIT: It seems that she and Hodr don't share the same bed. MAYBE IT COULD BE FINE...
canecgAug 2, 2010 9:26 AM
IaMP with me.
Aug 3, 2010 8:22 PM

Nov 2009
Darklight0303 said:
Take note that neither of them is wearing their wedding ring

Well i have not watched a lot of Gundam genre but this wasn't bad. Since it was a 51 minute "movie" it was able to do a lot more so i didn't give it much slack. Stormtrooper effect taking place there but the way the lead couldn't pilot anything made things slightly interesting.

My thought process; Random female hugs him -> romance possible in this show? / Find out she is recently married -> oh nvm / little reactions -> wait a minute... / Ring scene -> Bingo! My first instinct was right. At least it is not a average development.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Break Blade ? ANIME? OR ?MANGA?

thecursedone - Feb 1, 2013

6 by jjrocks24 »»
Oct 30, 2013 7:11 PM

» release date

N0mad - May 31, 2010

10 by MeitDeist »»
Jul 30, 2010 7:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.