Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 29, 2010 7:23 AM
Nov 2007
I have recently watched all of the anime (including the dissappearance of suzumiya haruhi) and im interested in reading the novels.

I just wanted to know if there are any differences between the anime and novels (no major spoilers if so plz).

Also how much further is the novels story than the anime.
Aug 9, 2010 5:47 PM

Jan 2008
The novels have more narration from Kyon compared to the anime, but otherwise there are almost no differences between the two besides a couple of extra stories they skipped. (Such as the trip to the cabin in the mountains. It only gets a short mention in the anime, I believe.)

To give you an idea of how far ahead the story has gone, there's about 10 novels right now and the anime as a whole (Both seasons and the movie) covered only the first 4 novels.
Aug 10, 2010 2:26 PM
Nov 2007
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of skipping a couple of the books (mostly because im dreading the endless 8) to go ahead and continue with the story, but I decided to read them in order anyways.
Aug 10, 2010 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
Endless Eight has all of 30 pages in the novel. It doesn't repeat like the anime does.

I'm also glad to hear you'll read them from the beginning since you may have missed a couple of side stories if you chose to skip some.

Enjoy.
Dec 8, 2010 1:14 PM

Jun 2009
Wallachia said:
The novels have more narration from Kyon compared to the anime, but otherwise there are almost no differences between the two besides a couple of extra stories they skipped. (Such as the trip to the cabin in the mountains. It only gets a short mention in the anime, I believe.)

To give you an idea of how far ahead the story has gone, there's about 10 novels right now and the anime as a whole (Both seasons and the movie) covered only the first 4 novels.

Okay, I know I'm 4 months late, but I had to respond and correct you. In the anime (2006 and 2009 episodes and the movie) none of the stories have been skipped chronologically. Snowy Mountain Syndrome takes place after Disappearance. As far as I remember, there was no mention of the story in the anime, except for maybe mention of taking the trip in the future.

Also, the anime version doesn't only cover the first 4 books. Two stories were animated from book 5 (Endless Eight and The Day of Sagittarius) and two stories were animated from book 6 (Live Alive and The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00). The stories in the series have a tendency to be chronologically out of order at times, much like the original broadcast airing of the 2006 series.

As far as the differences between the books and the anime go, there aren't very many. There are only three stories that had noticeable differences while I was reading. Those were Remote Island Syndrome, Live Alive, and Endless Eight. And the differences were mostly just to make better use of the animation medium (except Endless Eight, which was just them having fun). I haven't seen the Disappearance movie yet because I couldn't stand the cam rip, but from what I've heard, that follows the book almost exactly, word for word.

Again, sorry for the late reply, and I mean no offense to Wallachia with the corrections. ^_^

More topics from this board

» Intuition Thoughts/Opinions

Sosbrigade_123 - Jun 24, 2021

6 by anizawa89 »»
Jan 21, 11:25 AM

» New Haruhi novel announced

Pitto_ - Sep 24, 2023

15 by amare135 »»
Nov 13, 2023 12:16 PM

» Can I mark this series complete after Intuition?

ProsjektAero - Jun 2, 2023

5 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Best light novel in the series?

EnduringInsanity - Apr 24, 2013

11 by removed-user »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi Series Chapter 41 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 20, 2023

1 by AnimeIsWrong »»
Feb 25, 2023 11:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.