Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2008 11:02 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another nice episode, though actually a little sad too, but I really liked how they reused the first series opening song again in this episode, I love that song^^,
Jun 12, 2008 8:10 PM

Jan 2008
Such a beautiful episode, made me go teary T__T
Triethanolamine said:
first series opening song again in this episode, I love that song^^,
Same :3
Jun 23, 2008 3:04 AM

Apr 2008
aero said:
Such a beautiful episode, made me go teary T__T

same here, was so sad, yet still so beautiful. a tear actually fell at the end there. this makes only the third anime that's gotten fallen tears from me, and that is a sign of a truly amazing anime in my eyes.
Sep 29, 2008 8:37 AM
Aug 2008
I'm glad the pony-tailed salamander had a chance to behave with some amount of dignity and style for a change. He's the whipping boy of the series, but in this episode he got to say goodbye thoughtfully and also to sing.
Oct 14, 2008 7:59 AM

Jul 2007
Endless stream of tears.
Nov 8, 2008 2:44 PM

Jan 2008
An incredibly sweet episode~ :)
I loved how she got everything in pictures from her first ride to her test and her friends ^_^

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Mar 19, 2009 9:56 PM

Feb 2009
I love how the soul of the gondola is represented through the old man. Even the gondola wants to continue riding the waves with Akari for a little while longer!
I like anime and stuff
Mar 21, 2009 12:08 PM

Aug 2008
An excellent episode! It's a little bid sad that she's not going to use her old gondola anymore. It brings back wonderful memories especially since I started watching the first season.

May 3, 2009 12:39 PM

Mar 2007
The story, the pacing, the pictures really got to me. At first I was just sad, but when the old man came out, Ok I cried. BAWL!!!

That was really well done.
Sayonara Gondola.

May 5, 2009 9:10 AM

Dec 2007
Such a great and sad episode. It's actually too bad that Ai couldn't ride it one last time aswell :(
May 26, 2009 11:20 PM

Sep 2008
That was actually really sad :[ It was nice that Akari got a whole day to say goodbye though. Never thought saying goodbye to a gondola could make for such an emotional episode...
It also seemed kinda unfair that Ai couldn't get a last ride in it or take a picture with it too or something...
Jun 5, 2009 11:12 PM

Apr 2008
new ending =D great episode too

Jun 8, 2009 10:03 AM

Feb 2008
When Akari started crying, so did I.
Poor Ai-chan, she'll never get to ride it ;___;
Aug 9, 2009 1:39 AM

Jan 2009
Nice ep. The singles test course was very interesting...

Mar 5, 2010 8:59 PM

Aug 2009
An episode that touched my heart even though it's about Akari's gondola, a non-living creature, or is it? This episode showed that Akari really values everytiing that she has up to its fullest.

Few things I fell in love with in this episode were:
1. Akari and the Departing of Gondola tour throughout the city. She visited the places before and even some places from season 1.
2. Akatsuki riding the boat with Akari. Did that just happen because it happened before or Akatsuki might be starting to fall for Akari?
3. The old man being the spirit of a Gondola. I wonder why not a girl?
4. The highway test thing. That metal gate method-like dam was just pure intelligent.

It's too sad Akari needs to depart from her gondola. Well, she can still buy another one but it wouldn't feel the same anymore. :( I think the gondola repair-man just wanted money so he told Akari she needs a new boat! :P
Mar 7, 2010 9:59 PM

Oct 2008
R.I.P. Gondola.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 28, 2010 7:56 PM

Jul 2009
Never thought I'd feel sad for an inanimate object.

Aria is the shit.
MISTER_JIGGLESMar 28, 2010 9:31 PM
Apr 13, 2010 7:32 AM

Apr 2009
Good ep. I was pleasantly surprised when they brought the first OP from the Animation back.
It only helps the fact that this is truly a memories episode.

It's amazing how Aria always turns something we take for granted into something very meaningful.
mell4444Apr 13, 2010 7:36 AM
Apr 13, 2010 8:01 PM

Sep 2009
I got a bit teary-eyed too, especially at the dream sequence with the elder man. It really added the final touch to make the gondola seem like a living being.

And it's still impossible for me to dislike any Aria OPs/EDs.
May 31, 2010 8:46 AM

Aug 2008
awww that was a sad ep. :3
We got to see the Single-promotion course! Been wondering what it's like for a long time now. :)
Jul 13, 2010 8:58 AM
Sep 2007
Bastard is dead!
Wooohoooo!!!!!!

Seriously, what a boring episode.
Dec 24, 2010 11:39 PM

May 2008
Moonfrost said:
An episode that touched my heart even though it's about Akari's gondola, a non-living creature, or is it? This episode showed that Akari really values everytiing that she has up to its fullest.

Few things I fell in love with in this episode were:
1. Akari and the Departing of Gondola tour throughout the city. She visited the places before and even some places from season 1.
2. Akatsuki riding the boat with Akari. Did that just happen because it happened before or Akatsuki might be starting to fall for Akari?
3. The old man being the spirit of a Gondola. I wonder why not a girl?
4. The highway test thing. That metal gate method-like dam was just pure intelligent.

It's too sad Akari needs to depart from her gondola. Well, she can still buy another one but it wouldn't feel the same anymore. :( I think the gondola repair-man just wanted money so he told Akari she needs a new boat! :P

Now that you mention it, the Single's Exam Course DID look like a freeway! I would LOVE to see something like that in person! And really, when you think of it, the promotion exam is pretty much like a drivers test. You have to show you can "drive" the gondola before you can start carrying anyone. Poor Akari had the gondola in reverse when she first started out. Alicia, ever the optimist; "Yeah, you did great...but...hate to break it to ya...you were rowing IN REVERSE." D'oh!

About the spirit of the gondola...it could be more of that role reversal thing going on in Aria--normally, ships and other nautical vessels are called "She"...but I guess in the Aria universe, vessels are considered as male. Just a small theory I have.

This was a very emotional episode and one that I kind of related to. When it came time for me to get another vehicle, I had already developed such a strong attachment to my old one, it was a little emotional when I finally retired it. I could feel EXACTLY where Akari was coming from.
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Apr 7, 2011 5:30 AM

Feb 2011
it was a touching episode :(
akari >w<
Feb 4, 2012 1:45 PM

Oct 2009
5/5 for the episode, i think that the old gondola is a part of Akari's history.
Also, new ED!
あらあら。。。
Mar 11, 2012 4:51 AM

Apr 2009
Poe or troll?

Sorry guys, not feeling too in tune with this romance-esque boat stuff going on.
Apr 22, 2012 1:06 PM

Mar 2008
didn't touch me that much (unlike the 14th episode, which was just awesome)
but well.. as always, the music is so beautiful as well as the whole scenery.. I can't help it but love it xD
Jan 5, 2013 2:14 PM

May 2012
So peaceful really amazing episode and a beautiful episode with lots of great moments from the past, even that dream with the old man and than that ending just amazing!

It keeps amazing me how good this Anime is!

That new ED was just amazingly fitting for this episode, I wonder if they'll keep it or if it was just for this special episode!
Feb 23, 2013 1:13 PM

Aug 2008
Her rowing backwards was just darling.

Lovely but sad episode. I adore how much they all care for Akari. Like when Alicia's looking on when she arrives back again near the end. Cutee.
Jun 10, 2013 9:21 AM

Mar 2013
I was googly eyed the entire episode. This is going to wreck me when it's finally over ;-;
Jul 26, 2013 1:59 AM

Aug 2010
This episode has to be one of my favorites this season, I'm an overly sentimental person as well, when I was a kid and we sold our old car, I cried so much because I had all those memories with it.

I loved that flashback about Akari sculling backwards, it was so funny. Even Akatsuki was tolerable in this one, that's quite a feat. Nice sappy line there Aika-chan. Everything about this episode was crystallized perfection, it's amazing how good and relaxing this show can be.

Next episode young Alicia, Akira and Athena? Gonna be one hell of a ride, I'm sure. 5/5 all the way.
Aug 15, 2013 10:24 PM
Jan 2013
Yay for the return of the first-season OP! I love that song.
I hope Aria Company gets a shiny new gondola, and Akari gets the one Alicia's been using. :)
But when will Akari get rid of her other glove? She's been at this for over five years, Earth time.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Oct 9, 2013 4:53 PM

Oct 2009
I love that they used "Undine" OP song again :D, love it!
We also got to see a bit of Akari's single days as well :))

New ED isn't as great as the last, hope it grows on me.
Nov 11, 2013 10:25 AM

Sep 2007
I can't believe I cried over a fictional piece of wood ...

Mar 6, 2014 8:45 AM

Aug 2013
When Undine played, it sent shivers down my spine. I love that song <3

It took me a while to realize the old man is the gondola's spirit. Then when he said he wanted to ride with Akari just a big longer, I got all teary-eyed. Thank you for the hard work Gondola-san.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 26, 2014 6:56 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Sad episode, Akari riding her gondola one final time before it is replaced.

That Single promotion course looked easy but then again looks can be deceiving.

Apr 27, 2014 1:34 PM
Apr 2010
I think this is my favorite episode so far in this series so far. I really enjoyed this episode because Alari got to relive, for a brief moment, the experiences she had with her gondola and got to reflect on how close she had become with it, and during this we got to see a lot of different scenery and share in her memories. It was great to hear the first season's opening song again as well.

I'm glad to see that a couple of other people were also reminded of vehicles that they or their family owned, and the memories they had with them. I was reminded of my first vehicle, a '95 Nissan Pickup, and all of the joy I got from cruising through the curvy backroads in my area. It's nice to think that some of the things we hold dear, whether it be a gondola, our first vehicle, or anything else, have a spirit of their own and share the same feelings that we have for them.

This episode also made me think that if I had the privilege of knowing that my life was nearing its end I would like to revisit some of the places that hold so many special memories for me and then share a new experience with my family and friends.
Jun 18, 2014 6:41 AM

Oct 2013
Gondola is not a living thing.
Oct 22, 2014 2:21 AM

Jul 2008
Ah crap!!! Not this again....

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2014 7:09 AM

Jul 2012
how is it possible for me to be crying for something like this............such a happy sad ep

this series makes you appreciate the little things more
geekfreak17aDec 4, 2014 7:15 AM
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Dec 22, 2014 2:31 AM

Feb 2014
Took me a while to realize the old man in the dream was supposed to be the Gondola. It's been some time since I watched the first season, so I don''t remember most of the events in the flashbacks which were shown in the first season (if at all). Which is why I was trying to remember whether or not the old man was one of Akari's customers from the first season. But regardless, this was still a pretty sad episode. Almost made me shed a tear.

And it was great to hear "Undine" again. I've got used to and even started to like the new opening song but Undine is still my favourite.
Dec 29, 2014 10:52 AM

May 2010
Ah man it's "Undine" (the OP) from the first season! I love the OP and ED of first season a lot more than the 2nd ones.

Gondola replacing time... and Akatsuki appeared! Time for a date, hell yeah! Loved their first meeting, too! Ah that's it...

The picture with the gondolas being together, such bros.

"They might be saying embarrassing things."
Aika being moe <3

So the gondola parting will continue next episode? Wow sure is a VIP gondola.
May 21, 2015 3:14 AM

May 2012
It's been ages since I saw that episode but oh my.....so emotional :'( And I loved the way they reverted back to the intro song from the first season :) It's kind of a nostalgia element in it, so maybe that's why "Undine" was the intro for this. Still, saying goodbye to something that you used for a long time can be sad indeed :/
Sep 22, 2015 3:53 AM

Mar 2015
This episode changes Aria to become one of the very few series that actually make me sobbing.
I almost caught off guard when Alicia mentioned about her retirement in EP.14. But this episode caught me since the undine song op and I almost cry when Akari was sobbing. I wonder how many episode left before it's rain.

Sep 23, 2015 3:14 PM

Jul 2015
Excellent episode. Actually the last 5-6 episodes were all really, really good :3. Aria is a show that goes at his own pace for a reason, and it's great.
Nov 8, 2015 2:46 PM
Nov 2014
Saying goodbye is never an easy thing..... First Aria episode that I rated 5/5, it was good.
Mar 16, 2016 6:53 PM
May 2010
Mhnn... It looked like Akari had struggled to hold back her tears at the end.. until she couldn't anymore.. Very well done episode
Apr 9, 2016 8:44 PM
Jul 2013
I was seriously sad before watching this episode, a favorite character of mine from another TV show left the show and I was pretty much in a state of shock. I couldn't exactly feel any happiness because I kept on thinking of that character leaving the show and going away. It destroyed my intentions to get ahead in studying for my finals.

So, I load up an Aria episode to make myself feel better. And what do you know, the literal opening dialogue talks about my situation.

Akari: "If you have an encounter, there'll always come a day when you have to say goodbye, right?"

Aika: "That's something beyond our control, though."

Alice: "But if we never met, we wouldn't have these precious memories, either."

Aika: "I see. That means half the tears from saying goodbye are tears of thanks."

God damn, Aria. You done it again. Here I am focusing on the departure only while you're here focusing both on the departure and precious memories. Okay, anyways onto the episode. I found it to be great if you can't tell. I didn't even notice the change in OP from Natural to Animation, explained why I felt nostalgic all of a sudden. I wondered if the old man in Akari's dream represented the gondola itself so I'm glad to see that same thought put out here too. Also, was anybody else bothered by Alicia's sad face when Akari was sailing away to start her Goodbye Gondola-san tour? It just felt like Alicia had the sudden thought of them separating one day like Aria Company with that gondola.

Anyways, much of what I thought was said already by other posts. Before I wrap up, I would like to interject how great they changed the EDs here. They could've done the standard change OP + ED on the 13th episode but decided to do it 3 episodes later with this one. It really made the whole episode memorable and impactful for me. Man I love this show, sorry for the wall of text.
Aug 17, 2016 5:50 AM

Feb 2016
Favourite episode so far. I'm not a fan of the supernatural elements in Aria but this one sold me. Less is more, beautiful bittersweet poignant scene between the gondola and akari. Despite reaching a defining crossroad in their lives, two dear friends continue to keep each other company, if only for a little bit longer.

I look forward to the morsels of saccharine life lessons in Aria but this one was tastefully minimal.
Cloud_IllusionsAug 17, 2016 5:58 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 3, 2016 10:20 AM
Feb 2015
a single at last but poor Gondola san
Dec 8, 2016 7:32 AM

Oct 2012
First Going Merry, then Gondola-san
Why? :(

Saying goodbye is so painful, but we should thankful because we can met them
"Signature removed"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 4, 2008

55 by Araragi »»
Mar 24, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - May 28, 2008

52 by KonokoAsada »»
Feb 20, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - May 20, 2008

79 by Petrius »»
Sep 1, 2023 8:59 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 7, 2008

61 by 1Konochi »»
Aug 24, 2023 4:04 PM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 11 Discussion

aero - Jun 6, 2008

44 by 1Konochi »»
Aug 21, 2023 6:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.