Forum Settings
Forums
Jul 23, 2010 1:25 PM

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with this text and I was wondering if you could help me. This was a designer's (graphic) answer when someone asked him his thoughts on his works or what does he like work on.

人づきあいのできないおれにデザインは唯一得意なコミュニケーションだ ...つうのはたてまえで.アナログで... 烏口でも面相でもいんだけど 線を引く瞬間息をとめるだろ...あれが恋に落ちる瞬間の緊張に似てて

I am not sure about this but I've got the feeling he is saying that his works are his only way of communication, then you have the red part that gives me trouble, and then he says that the moment he draws a line his breath stops, being that similar to the tension of the moment one falls in love. How would you translate this?

Jul 30, 2010 8:26 PM
Hmm... I tried to translate and it came out like this:

"For me who is unable to socialize with people [well], [graphic] design is the only form of communication that I'm good at. That is to say, on the surface I say it's good whether it's the analogues..., the ruling pen, or the expressions of the face, but the moment I draw a line is when I hold my breath...That [feeling] resembles the tension of the moment one falls in love."

^^ Above is more like a literal translation and I added some words in brackets to make it more understandable. The result is a run-on sentence, but you get the gist of it.

I had a little trouble with つうのは and たてまえで.
I figured つうのは is the same as というのは which roughly means "That is to say."
建て前【たてまえ】 is kind of tricky to understand. I think it means:
--one's stated reason
--what one does or says for the sake of principle
たてまえ can sometimes be different from one's real intentions.

As for the part that gave you trouble.... it is the same as:
アナログでも烏口でも面相でもいいんだ
I think the sentence are more like word-to-word answers from the designer so it's more colloquial.

This is just my rough translation and it may not be entirely correct. If there's anything that you or anyone want to correct please do so. I will be glad to hear it and correct my mistakes.

Jul 30, 2010 8:33 PM

A friend told me that she saw アナログ as a synonym of たてまえ. Because an analogue is something that works as the real thing, yet it is not the same. I am not sure about that, but apart from it you seem to be right :D

Jul 30, 2010 8:55 PM
Oh really? That's interesting... I might look into that. I personally never heard of that synonym, but it's possible.

Aug 4, 2010 8:22 AM
つうの !!!! this means 頭脳. obviously its a spelling mistake .
I think this look more sense to you right??

Aug 5, 2010 5:36 AM

つうのは is the same as というのは, which could be roughly translated to "the one called ..."

For example, cannibalつうのは、人間を食べる人間だ。(The thing called "cannibal" is a human that eats humans.) / 嘘だつうの! (I said it's a lie!) <- This is another usage of つうの.

I think there's something about it on this site: http://guidetojapanese.org

Aug 5, 2010 8:01 AM
I know. but you see in this sentence つうのはたてまえで .The word 頭脳 is the best fit in the whole sentence,since the speaker are admitting that he has weakness in something beside his talent ( God ,I hate BL.This text is surely is a BL manga or BL novel )
Anyway,either way can be work as well but spelling mistake in text surely happen at times.(you should check out Baccano!! Novel,the mistake there is absolutely brilliant LOL )
Modified by MorningGlory, Aug 5, 2010 8:05 AM

Aug 5, 2010 1:20 PM

つうの just doesn't seem to be much of a spelling mistake for ずのう to me. t-u-u-n-o vs z-u-n-o-u is quite a few keystroke errors and the meanings of the words are completely different. And, we can't be sure it's really an error. You'd have to ask the author or a native Japanese speaker to check on it for you.

Aug 5, 2010 6:02 PM

As far as I've seen, つう is a rather colloquial form of と言う, and i've seen(well, mostly heard, but) it as such many times, and chop my head off if it isn't meant as と言う here.
God sure is cruel, sometimes he makes you live.
Gather some leaves of Japanese.

Aug 5, 2010 9:05 PM
I think is mistaken as っつうの.Mostly text i saw is っつうか.
Maybe they forgot to add a "と" in it but for me,I will surely read it ずのう since I read it very fast and it sound more smoother