Forum Settings
Forums

Square Enix To Release Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Online In US and France

New
Jul 21, 2010 10:46 PM

Feb 2008
According to Mainichi, Square Enix will launch an online service for providing manga including Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater in North America and France this autumn. The number of titles and the amount of the charge haven't been announced yet. Square Enix intends to meet the demand of the foreign readers and to control the pirated scanlations.

Source: Mainichi
myanimelistllcMay 23, 2016 7:19 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 21, 2010 10:49 PM

Sep 2008
Dat what you call a great idea.
Jul 21, 2010 11:02 PM
Nov 2008
1. Online readers call it a great idea.
2. Online readers get pissed off when they have to wait for official companies to release chapters online.
3. Square Enix dubbed "The FUNimation of manga".

I have forseen it.
Jul 21, 2010 11:16 PM

Jan 2010
While I'm going to regret thinking this... I am actually excited about this.

Here is hoping this can compare to scanlations >.>

Have you ever noticed that if you rearranged the letters in mother in law, they come out to Woman Hitler?
Jul 21, 2010 11:17 PM

Jun 2009
Sounds like a good plan

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 21, 2010 11:24 PM

Nov 2009
One leap forward, all right.
Jul 21, 2010 11:30 PM

Jun 2007
Bah. World != North America and France.
- Я! "Рука меча"!
- Нет! Ты сердце! Сердце! Понимаешь?!
- Я...
- Бейся! Бейся, и всё! Пока ты бьёшься!...

(c) H.L. Oldie
Jul 21, 2010 11:39 PM

Nov 2007
i was waiting who could jumpstart this, because honestly...this was the best thing to do...good job Square Enix, as long as your chapters dont take like a month to get translated im so on board
Jul 21, 2010 11:46 PM

Nov 2007
hmmm sounds ok i supose providing they release quality and CLEAN the manga AND REDRAW properly unlike so many half ass officail licensers

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jul 21, 2010 11:49 PM

Sep 2009
Tomodachi said:
hmmm sounds ok i supose providing they release quality and CLEAN the manga AND REDRAW properly unlike so many half ass officail licensers

And don't go and add in three pages of advertising their group to the Scanilation as well.

But I like this. A lot. Provided the prices are right.
Jul 22, 2010 12:20 AM

Nov 2009
Tomodachi said:
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. It's going to be like $15 a volume, to make up for lost sales.
Pw3ageJul 22, 2010 12:25 AM
Jul 22, 2010 12:23 AM
Nov 2008
Pw3age said:
Sabinlerose said:
Tomodachi said:
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. It's going to be like $15 a volume, to make up for lost sales.
It'll be about half that, most likely. Why? There's no need to regain losses for such materials as ink and recycled paper.
Jul 22, 2010 12:25 AM

Mar 2009
sound good to me if its a good price now if only the rest will do the same
Jul 22, 2010 12:26 AM

Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
Pw3age said:
Sabinlerose said:
Tomodachi said:
It'll be about half that, most likely. Why? There's no need to regain losses for such materials as ink and recycled paper.
they wont charge by chapter?
Jul 22, 2010 12:27 AM
Nov 2008
nothing956 said:
Onibokusu said:
Pw3age said:
Sabinlerose said:
Tomodachi said:
You're assuming they'll release chapter by chapter.
Jul 22, 2010 12:32 AM

Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
nothing956 said:
Onibokusu said:
Pw3age said:
Sabinlerose said:
Tomodachi said:
You're assuming they'll release chapter by chapter.
ya i mean if you want a volume they will probably just make go to the book store and buy it that way or bolth

Jun 2009
If its pay to read, then im out.

Sep 2008
What worries me most about the transition to online manga is if each company comes out with there own online manga site. I hope they are smart enough to "join forces" with other companies, eventually. But...this is a start and I hope it all goes well. Manga isn't free, we should all support legal manga/anime...so long as the price is right.
MagicWookieJul 22, 2010 12:36 AM
Jul 22, 2010 12:33 AM

Apr 2008
Imma just gonna sit back and see how this turns out. However, I do have to say that they came up with a bizarrely clean flash interface, which to me bodes well.

But yeah, turnaround times, release frequency, and price will be what I'm looking for.
Jul 22, 2010 12:34 AM

Mar 2008
This is what Onemanga was closed for?
Jul 22, 2010 1:37 AM
Jun 2008
dtshyk said:
Square Enix intends to meet the demand of the foreign readers and to control the pirated scanlations.

Are they stupid or what? Foreign means all over the world, not only 1/10 of the world. -___-'

I'm buying 80% of manga which are published in my country. I'm doing this only because I've read them earlier in the Internet and I know they are worth buying. But companies know better.
Jul 22, 2010 2:35 AM

Jan 2009
well good luck to square enix
Jul 22, 2010 2:36 AM

May 2008
Originally I thought this was a good idea, but no it isn't. So Square releases only manga that it has licensed. Then other companies do it too. Okay thats good. But then one company is like I want some money for doing this. So they start charging. Others notice that one company still has plenty of readers eventhough they are charging money so they do it too. Then we (the readers) have to pay fees to 8 different sites just to read the manga we want.

Even if it starts out as free, I bet you that it will not be like that forever.

None of us are rich. Most of us aren't in Japan. This is a good idea, but too bad they are probably just trying to earn money off us in the end. I love reading manga and I love this hobby. But if it starts hurting my wallet, I will put it down immediately. I already have one hobby that is killing my wallet (video games).
Jul 22, 2010 2:56 AM
Apr 2010
Out of all the country's in Europe, why France? :/
Jul 22, 2010 3:16 AM

Nov 2007
World = USA and France? Oh really?
Jul 22, 2010 3:17 AM

Jul 2009
WHAT??
France gets it but not Britain.
I officailly hate this idea.

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Jul 22, 2010 3:43 AM
Jul 2009
they expect otaku to have money!? o.O
Jul 22, 2010 5:53 AM

Dec 2007
At least list some of the other titles they have up as well so it looks a little more diverse :(

The sites are due to open in Fall, and SE are working with foreign licensors for the venture.

The official US page is here.
At the moment FMA, Black Butler, Soul Eater and O-Parts Hunter all have preview chapters up.
Record of a Fallen Vampire, Pandora Hearts, Sumomomo Momomo, and Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning are all listed as coming soon.

While the preview pages can be viewed without signing up, to be able to purchase content you'll need a Square Enix Members account.
ANN is reporting that the preview chapters are downloadable, but I can't find any way to do that - I can just read them online.

For all the titles they list at the moment, the content is being provided by Viz and Yen Press.

The French page is here and has the same currently available preview series (although in french, obviously).
Jusqu'à la mort nous sépare (Until Death Do Us Part), Sumomomo Momomo, Pandora Hearts, and Shikabane Hime are listed as coming soon.

The current series are from Kurokawa and Kana, while some of the 'coming soon' series are from Ki-oon and Kazé as well, so I assume they're working with all of them.

They also have a Comic Con 2010 page, which is perhaps more interesting as it has other titles on it too. That page is here.
Did you know Square Enix is one of Japan's leading manga publishers? We will be showcasing various hit titles from Square Enix library at the convention. Quality merchandise from and inspired by the catalogue of Square Enix titles will also be available at our booth! Come visit us at Booth 3829 at the San Diego Convention Center.

Featured Manga Titles at Comic Con 2010

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST - SOUL EATER
BLACK BUTLER - DURARARA!! - HEROMAN
PANDORA HEARTS - SHIKABANE HIME

I'd like to believe otherwise, but I guess they could just be showing them off in japanese to show off the software? That, or it's a mistake. When you go to their "virtual booth" and look for Durarara, Heroman, or Shikabane Hime, it only lists info about their anime.
EphidelJul 22, 2010 6:15 AM
Jul 22, 2010 6:40 AM

Jul 2009
The world is full of idiots.

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Jul 22, 2010 7:59 AM

Jan 2010
I've heard about it from site like ANN and Siliconera. Nice to see Square Enix jumping into the manga game. I wonder SE will trying to bring Gangan to US to rival Shonen Jump. That would be nice of them if they can do that. Also what's next:

-Square Enix and Eido Interactives to team up to adapt Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Hitman into anime anthology to cash in on the western video game anime adaptation and also to help the anime industry. That may include Kingdom Hearts anime if this was ever to happen.
Jul 22, 2010 10:42 AM

Mar 2010
Hopefully this doesn't stop companies from making a book version, because when I buy a book, I like to have a book.

This can be either a very good idea or a terrible idea.
Jul 22, 2010 11:08 AM

Jan 2010
Great idea from Square Enix. I hope they don't make it something like pay to view, although I can understand that somewhat if they decide that...
Jul 22, 2010 11:59 AM

Jul 2009
Oh darn. This just made my day even better (sarcasm). This, and the fact that OM is shutting down.
Jul 22, 2010 12:52 PM

Aug 2007
Oh, so I guess that's why onemanga.com has to close down?

And yeah, please the US and France! What's with all the other countries? Thanks guys. *irony*
kennikittyJul 22, 2010 12:57 PM
Jul 22, 2010 1:07 PM

Mar 2010
Well, it's better than nothing.

Plus this is only the beginning.
I think it's too soon to call off the idea as "bad".
I rather they start out with a few places first, then expand and make manga more widely available to other countries if the idea works well. You never know.
Bunny-kinsJul 22, 2010 1:12 PM
Jul 22, 2010 1:21 PM
Apr 2010
yuck..online manga
When i see e-books with a protection account where everything that you bought is listed so you never loose it for good we can talk >.<
Jul 22, 2010 2:48 PM
Nov 2008
d4n13lr0x said:
Great idea from Square Enix. I hope they don't make it something like pay to view, although I can understand that somewhat if they decide that...

SquareEnix said:
A SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS account will be needed to access the Digital Manga Store that is scheduled to launch this Fall, 2010.
Jul 22, 2010 2:50 PM

Nov 2008
nice
Jul 22, 2010 3:03 PM

Jan 2010
Onibokusu said:
d4n13lr0x said:

SquareEnix said:
A SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS account will be needed to access the Digital Manga Store that is scheduled to launch this Fall, 2010.

Oh well that's great. Now even reading manga will cost me money.
neverLampJul 22, 2010 3:08 PM
Jul 23, 2010 12:48 AM

Aug 2007
d4n13lr0x said:

You've ever heard, that manga is not a free service and scanlations are piracy? It's because of people like you that manga publishers are going against scanlations.
(as for me, I read online and buy)
Jul 23, 2010 11:16 PM

Jan 2010
kennikitty said:
d4n13lr0x said:

You've ever heard, that manga is not a free service and scanlations are piracy? It's because of people like you that manga publishers are going against scanlations.
(as for me, I read online and buy)

Lmao, how much manga/anime do you buy compared to how much you read and watch online? You're in the same boat as me. Idc if you buy, you're still reading online. And yeah, I don't buy manga. You know why? Do I really want to spend $15 on a manga tank of outdated manga that I have to drive more than 30 minutes to the local closest bookstore with only Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fruits Basket, and 5 other titles? Please. Would I buy manga/anime online? Yeah, and I have. Bought several series of anime: Clannad, Claymore, FMA, and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun straight from Japan with extra shipping/handing. It cost me a fucking fortune of about 2-3 weeks worth of part time work 5 days a week. All for just 5 series. All Japanese. Now then, if I would try to buy all the series I would have to cut spendings on food, rent, etc that I need to spend on. And you know what? It isn't the same as going to a site with a large library that I can pick and choose to indulge myself. Sorry, but you do the same. People like me? Don't begin the insults please. They could care less about me. People who share and love manga/anime so much they handle sites and provide it are why they are going against scanlations.
neverLampJul 23, 2010 11:22 PM
Jul 24, 2010 4:22 AM

Jul 2007
d4n13lr0x said:
People who steal scanalations from scanlators and love money generated from ads of their websites so much they degrade the stolen scanlation image quality/resolution and provide it are why they are going against half-assed "online manga' websites like one manga..

fix'd.
Jul 24, 2010 7:41 PM
Apr 2008
OtakuGamer said:
HaremAllMighty said:
WHAT??
France gets it but not Britain.
I officailly hate this idea.
Err... that's simple: France=First manga consumer in the world, after Japan. That said, providing this service for the US and not France would be stupid.
Jul 24, 2010 11:35 PM

Jan 2010
Fai said:
d4n13lr0x said:
People who steal scanalations from scanlators and love money generated from ads of their websites so much they degrade the stolen scanlation image quality/resolution and provide it are why they are going against half-assed "online manga' websites like one manga..

fix'd.

I meant IRC feeds of scanlators and their sites... that trickle down into manga hosting sites like MangatoShokan or Onemanga,etc.
Jul 25, 2010 11:23 AM

Jul 2008
OtakuGamer said:

France has an enormous manga and comics market - most definitely the largest in Europe. They get a lot of manga the rest of the world outside of Japan will never see. Scrap population differences, France probably has a larger manga market than America.
ToukaJul 25, 2010 11:40 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 25, 2010 11:37 AM
Feb 2010
FUCK YES FINALLY I CAN GET THOSE !!!! WHEN AUTUMN COMES OF COURSE ^_^

Jul 27, 2010 7:54 AM

Nov 2007
Yes, France it's the larger manga market of Europe. The manga&anime is a really important phenomen in my country.

It's not only FMA and Soul Eater...

]L'éditeur japonais Square Enix, plus connu en France en tant qu'éditeur de jeux vidéo (Final Fantasy,...), annonce la création de sa plateforme de lecture et de téléchargement de manga numériques.

Vous pouvez d'ores et déjà lire des chapitres des séries FullMetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Black Butler et Satan 666 sur la plateforme qui est accessible à l'adresse suivante http://www.square-enix.com/eu/fr/manga/

De nouvelles séries (Sumomomo Momomo, Pandora Hearts, Shikabane Hime, Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare,...) seront bientôt déployées.

---
M-S

And we have already these mangas in France :

FMA, Soul Eater, Sumomomo Momomo, Satan666 : by Kurokawa
Pandora Hearts, Until the death... : Ki-oon
Shikabane Hime : Kaze Manga
Black Butler : Kana

I don't enjoy this news. And the French publishers ?

Jul 28, 2010 1:11 PM

Sep 2008
Already check the site... wow... did other read online have "flash-based" streaming like that ?
that a rip-off ? or that a their own invention ?
I'm willing to pay after visit the site, as long the price is reasonable though.

Btw "printscreen" button can make them lose many money
Jul 31, 2010 6:22 PM

Sep 2009
d4n13lr0x said:
Onibokusu said:
d4n13lr0x said:

SquareEnix said:

Daw muffin.
Now you can't just STEAL.
Poor baby.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.