Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What did I not get out of 5 Centimeters per Second? (Lots of questions and spoilers)?

5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 16, 2010 5:59 AM

Feb 2008
So, I watched that anime yesterday night. and well I guess I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

I liked the first chapter, but the other two chapters were a little meh, can anyone help tell me what I didn't get out of the story?

First chapter was good in the beginning, but it got really boring while he was on the train. Once he reached her then it was good.

Second chapter was okay. I don't understand why there needs to be another girl. Does it portray the fact that a guy won't give up his love for someone new? I think about that :P

Third part was short and well, kind of bad. I have no idea why they just showed a song to end everything. The song and everything went by a little fast but I'll explain my questions into detail under.

1st Chapter
=========
1) Was the letter Akari holding at the end of the first chapter the letter that Takaki had that flew away while he was at the vending machine? What was it for?

2) why did it seem like Akari was the only one who was sending letters?

==========
2nd Chapter
==========
3) What exactly was the point of the second chapter? As explained in what I thought about it from above.

4) (Taken from above) Does it portray the fact that a guy won't give up his love for someone new?

5) What was the point of the rocket ship?

6) What is Kanae's point in the story?

7) What happens to Akari during Junior High? (If it's possible to know)

8) So Takaki was sending text messages (to Akari I suppose?) but later on I think he said he couldn't do it or didn't do it? (I have terrible memory lol) Was he afraid of sending it to her or what?

9) Was the significance of Kanae mastering surfing or whatever what she was going to do after school?

=========
3rd Chapter
=========
10) In the third chapter, they're all grown up I suppose... Did Akari and Takaki lost contact with each other?

11) From the song playing at the end, was that Takaki with another guy? (it went really fast but someone or her? was waiting in the snow I think, then a guy with an umbrella comes up and she walks away with him)

12) The dumb video went by really fast, but was that Takaki who was always by her or always saw her or someone who looked like her? IDK

13) What exactly is the point of the third chapter?

14) Does the third chapter show that Akari (if that lady was Akari walking with the other man who I think isn't Takaki) wasn't as faithful as Takaki? or was their lack of communication with each other (I guess) cause them to lose touch with each other?

15) Does this story show that distance is possible? LOL I have no idea... What exactly did I not get from this story?

16) At the end where they walk past each other and I guess the girl was Akari, what was the point of that? Will they see each other again the next year? (as Akari said in the beginning of the story when they were children?) They looked back before the trains passed by, but Takaki ended up being the only one there and walked away...

Hehe Guys must be more faithful in relationships ;P

Thanks and sorry for the long and confused questions!

This is all from a question I posted at Yahoo!Answers if you're wondering. I am a curious person as well. I read in the other forums about the cell phone text'. It's a shame they lost contact after the train.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkTiEKe39crlrgjGy2ciGyLsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100716051531AA7DmOr
Jul 20, 2010 1:37 AM

Jan 2010
You'll probably need to watch this again in a few years. XD

But jokes aside, 5cm per second is really quite a cryptic piece.

I'll start by answering as many of your questions as I can.

Chapter 1

1.) That letter is actually a different letter from the one Touno lost at the train station. It's addressed to Touno, and was presumably a letter that Akari wrote and intended to give to him.

2.) Touno did reply back, every time. The only reason his letters aren't read out are just because of the narrative style. Basically, that's the way the story is told.

Chapter 2

3 - 6.) I'll try and explain later.

7.) Presumably... she learns? That's what most people do at junior high, or so I believe.

8.) Unfortunately, no, he actually wasn't sending texts to her. If you'll listen to his monologue again, he actually wonders to himself: "Since when did I get into the habit of writing texts to nobody...?". In that scene in episode two, where he gets his little part of the narrative, we're shown one of his texts, where he writes about his dream of the woman with him, staring at the landscape. He chooses not to save the text, and deletes it.

9.) To be honest there's very little 'significance', but in a way, that is in itself important. I'll explain in more detail below.

Chapter 3

10.) Yes, they're grown up. Touno has a job (though he has, apparently, quit it), and Akari is getting married. Presumably they lost contact since before the events of episode 2.

11.) This one confuses me; can you say it again, in more detail? Touno with another guy?

12 - 16.) In detail below.

=========================================

As for the questions I have skipped over above: before they can be answered, the meaning behind this anime must first be discussed. Note first, that these are my own impressions and interpretations of this movie, and as with anything else, may well only be a matter of opinion.

5cm Per Second is a story about real life. Not a light, comedic romance, not a fable with a moral, and certainly not some sort of fantasy story. It is about real life.

Episode one begins the story by introducing us to the characters and, more importantly, their feelings for each other. We come to understand through the letters, the flashbacks, and Touno's narrative, that Touno and Akari like each other. These mutual feelings are conveyed through this portion of the story and made obvious with the kiss they shared under the sakura tree. Of course, it also makes one feel rather warm and fuzzy inside, just as you would expect the average romance story to do.

However, it also introduces ideas that are built upon more significantly later, particularly in the last episode. There are several obstacles presented in this part, the first of which is distance; Akari and Touno are separated by it, and even despite their letters it continues to tear them apart, as subtly implied by his having to move even further away. Another such obstacle is time, which has resulted from the snowfalls; Touno's lone struggle against time and his immense sadness not only adds tension to this portion of the story, but also foreshadows their eventual separation as the years pass away. Touno's closing line to the episode, "I just want the power to protect her", also show us his innocent and somewhat childish outlook on the situation. With these woven in, the story begins the departure from a simple romance to something that can depict the long road of one life in a simple hour.

Episode two fast-forwards to a time when Touno has been at his new school for a fair while. It introduces a new character, Kanae, who leads much of the narrative in this part.

The change to a new character's perspective may be quite confusing at first, but hopefully it's more easily understandable after having seen the rest of the episode, or the entire movie. The 'purpose' behind this is to offer a new view, a new window, into the life of Touno. Kanae serves not only as the main character of this portion, but as another way to portray the harshness of love, as well as the gradual growth of a person into an adult.

Throughout this episode we're shown a number of things repeatedly. The first is, of course, Kanae's love for Touno. She's nigh-on obsessed with him, and finds herself happy just by being around him. The other is more subtle, but you'll find that it is actually Kanae's struggles. She has trouble with surfing, can't think of what she wants to do in the future, and finds herself unable to confess to the person she's in love with. Her continued struggles against her failings is the movie's way of depicting real life struggles; her very endeavors represent the way teenagers her age cope with the things that they are faced with.

In particular her resolve to confess on the same day she surfs properly is reflective of the many varied wishes a person of her age would similarly be having. The fact that she manages to surf, but also comes to the realisation that Touno has never liked her, is a way of saying that not all of these wishes or dreams will come true. Her painful acceptance of this fact represents growth.

The rocket is another hint (a metaphor, if you will) at the pain that comes with distance. In Touno's short little intrusion into the narrative in episode two, he wonders about the rocket's liftoff and muses that it must be the most lonely journey in the world, flying above in the darkness of the stars. This is quite tragically ironic, considering that Touno's own life (and that of the viewer, or so this movie assumes) is a journey that will inevitably come with loneliness at some points.

Episode three is the wrap-up to these three short stories and chronicles an unknown span of time in Touno's grown-up life. We are shown glimpses of his new lifestyle and of the life he now leads, and given closure of sorts to the romance that began years beforehand.

I've made this way too long by accident, so I'll keep this part short, but the main message of this last third of the movie is conveyed through three main things showed: Touno's briefly glimpsed relationship with a woman at his workplace (and the subsequent breakup), both Touno and Akari's memories of that meeting in the snow, and finally, their continuing lives.

Touno's new relationship with the woman, which had been going on for three years, revisits the harshness of reality. Their flashbacks portray regret and suggest the idea that life doesn't always go the way you expect.

Perhaps the most powerful thing depicted here, though, is their continuing lives. In the last scene, where the two are about to see each other again but have their view blocked by trains, Touno is seen smiling and turning to walk on. The two of them are able to live on in spite of being separated.

==================================

I do not think that there is any clear-cut, obvious moral to this story, like "people should be more faithful" or anything like that. Rather, to me, it means that people will meet and create memories, move on, and be able to hold these close despite having left. In the end, what 5cm Per Second shows is not really a matter of fixing, keeping or even having a relationship, but a part of life that comes and passes.

I really think that it's up to your own interpretation for the most part, though. I would advise you to pick a little less at the details of this, and feel the emotions behind this yourself. ^^
Jul 21, 2010 2:54 PM

Feb 2008
Haha thanks! Very clear answer =]

Sorry about number 11, I meant to say Akari with another guy :P
I also noticed a girl with glasses, who probably texted Touno during the song part of ep. 3.

and alright I get ya. I'll have to get over the romance part and look at its other features of what make it a movie =]

I thought the Rocket Ship was sort of like an easter egg to his other movies? I was told that. Anyway thanks a lot!
Jul 22, 2010 1:22 AM

Jan 2010
The man with Akari is her unnamed fiancée, and that woman with glasses is Touno's girlfriend, who breaks up with him.

I have absolutely no idea whether or not the rocket is an easter egg. XD

And I can actually understand exactly what you mean when you say the other two chapters are a little meh. Unless you're really looking for deep meanings in it, 5cm can be quite dull or strange. I also found the ending incredibly hard to stomach, since it seemed so tragic to me. You can think of that tl;dr post I wrote above as my way of dealing with it.
Feb 11, 2011 6:07 AM

May 2009
Meh, I think I have a slighly different opinion for this anime...
1) The letter Akari was holding was from her to Takaki, it just means that she loves him just as much as he does. She was exactly as him.
2) I don't see why this question was asked at all :D. The idea is to show that Takaki was reading them all, just look at him while he's reading, if my memory's correct they don't show his face, that's the whole point.
Chapter 2:
3) They show that even after years of separation Takaki still holds the same feelings towards Akari. This is a really difficult question... One more point to this chapter is that He can choose another girl at anytime, this is to show us how strong indeed are his feelings for Akari.
4) More like guys are really affectionate, but in my opinion this is solely for the character.
5) Now this is an interesting question. I have some ideas about this, I hope that both of you, midgemage and Chu4Lyfe can help me about it.
It represents something beautiful getting farther and farther away ahead of us all. About that moment, Kanae realizes that her hopes and love for Takaki are one-sided and sees the rocket. But she is desperately in love with him. The same day she said: "If I don't tell it to him today, I will never do it". And in the end of the day she didn't confess. We could say that something departed along with that rocket towards space, and we're sure that this thing wasn't her tears. This is a partially tragic chapter. Why partially? Well he isn't as torn as she is, Takaki suffers because he can't see his loved one, he doesn't think of anyone but Akari, which is a critical hit for Kanae.
Practically the first sentence answered the question directly <.<.
6) Hmmm, I believe I made that clear in the upper paragraph.
7) That's not given because it's not that important, or this is what I believe :D
8) I'll try not to repeat, but... Those text messages are addressed to nobody, he never sends them. They are to represent his loneliness. They are about events that he made up. Now that's more interesting, why does he make these things up?
9) I won't answer that.
Chapter 3:
10) Well, that's what the impression makes you think. We can't say for sure.
11) Really? I couldn't bring myself to focus the images, my eyes were soaked so I couldn't see.
12) - 16) I too think I'm going to answer it as one.
"Yesterday I had a dream. A dream of the distant past. Within that dream, the two of us were still thirteen... standing upon the vast field, blanketed in snow as far as the eye could see. In the distance, the lights shimmering in the houses were set sparsely, far and wide. All that was left upon the newly fallen snow were our footprints. Just like that we wished, without hesitation, that one day the two of us would be able to see the cherry blossoms together again."
--- Last lines in the anime.
That quote should contain almost all of the answers...
May 1, 2012 6:31 AM
May 2012
Amateratsu said:

5) Now this is an interesting question. I have some ideas about this, I hope that both of you, midgemage and Chu4Lyfe can help me about it.
It represents something beautiful getting farther and farther away ahead of us all. About that moment, Kanae realizes that her hopes and love for Takaki are one-sided and sees the rocket. But she is desperately in love with him. The same day she said: "If I don't tell it to him today, I will never do it". And in the end of the day she didn't confess. We could say that something departed along with that rocket towards space, and we're sure that this thing wasn't her tears. This is a partially tragic chapter. Why partially? Well he isn't as torn as she is, Takaki suffers because he can't see his loved one, he doesn't think of anyone but Akari, which is a critical hit for Kanae.

I know this is a bit too late but I just had to answer, so I registered :P
What I think is the rocket was just something to let Kanae mention that the rocket travels at the speed of five kilometers per hour, which reminds Takaki about Akari mentioning cherry blossoms fall at the speed of five centimeters per second. You can watch the scene again and look at Takaki's expression. Just my opinion though :P
Jul 11, 2012 2:37 PM
May 2012
In the end before the song, did they both get on the train together?
Aug 10, 2012 11:23 PM

Feb 2008
It's been so long since I asked this. Lols. But the Manga summed up a lot of questions I had, not sure if its canon to the story or whatever but I loved it ;D
Jun 29, 2013 5:00 AM
Nov 2012
This truly was one of the most tragic stories (I didn't cry though). If only it had a happy ending - but that rarely happens in real life. I came here pretty late but I just watched the movie today and you guys helped me understand the context

Thank you very much.
Jun 30, 2013 3:47 AM

Aug 2009
Coloneltreavy said:
This truly was one of the most tragic stories (I didn't cry though). If only it had a happy ending - but that rarely happens in real life. I came here pretty late but I just watched the movie today and you guys helped me understand the context

Thank you very much.

this guy said evrything i want to say, including the "late" part...
but man, i know this anime wants to show you that this IS real life works, but i dont know, i still wants some happy ending in the end so that i wont be so depressed, but other parts of me wants it stay like it is so it wont destroy the "realistic" story in it....

but sigh, some of my mind regret watching this because of the depression....

ps: sorry for bad english
Jul 7, 2013 10:22 PM
Jul 2013
harshh said:
Amateratsu said:

I know this is a bit too late but I just had to answer, so I registered :P
What I think is the rocket was just something to let Kanae mention that the rocket travels at the speed of five kilometers per hour, which reminds Takaki about Akari mentioning cherry blossoms fall at the speed of five centimeters per second. You can watch the scene again and look at Takaki's expression. Just my opinion though :P
Well i think it's more of a seed. This was the seed to Kanaea to realize that Takaki was also reaching for something far away, that made him look past Kanaea. They threw in the 5 kilometers per hour just to show that Takaki was alway and still is thinking of Akari. And as for Kanaea's surfing, it was her confidence in a way. She thought that when she could do it, she could tell Takaki about her feelings.

I really like the film but hated watching it. I've been in a very similar situation, so it brings back memories. Must watch for some one who has experienced love or thought they did.
( had to also create an account just to respond. Extremely late. =P )
Jul 13, 2013 1:05 PM
Jul 2013
midgemage said:
The man with Akari is her unnamed fiancée, and that woman with glasses is Touno's girlfriend, who breaks up with him.

I have absolutely no idea whether or not the rocket is an easter egg. XD

And I can actually understand exactly what you mean when you say the other two chapters are a little meh. Unless you're really looking for deep meanings in it, 5cm can be quite dull or strange. I also found the ending incredibly hard to stomach, since it seemed so tragic to me. You can think of that tl;dr post I wrote above as my way of dealing with it.

yup it's so ironic! :(
but it's reality :(
but Touno was really devastated? i think?
ahm they lost communication and then they entered relationships and the story ends? that's it? so the question is on the first place why would they enter a relationship if they are really in love with each other? is that their way to forget each other? last question do you think in the end they still love each other or not anymore?
i think yeah, how bout you guys?
I WOULD BE THE PIRATE KING - LUFFY
ILL CARY YOUR BURDENS- NARUTO
ILL TEACH ANYONE WHO HURTS MY NAKAMA- NATSU
ILL BREAK YOUR ILLUSIONS - KAMIJOU TOUMA
Jan 18, 2014 3:50 PM
Jan 2014
I hate it when people call this realistic. The two characters never interact despite running into each other as adults, Real realistic. And why do you keep calling it romance? It's a tragedy!
NaruHina!!
Feb 1, 2014 7:04 PM

Apr 2013
daichisama said:
And why do you keep calling it romance? It's a tragedy!

So Romeo and Juliet was not a romance? Mind=Blown
Feb 1, 2014 7:19 PM

Feb 2012
Nothing, it's not that special.

Wait, this threads really old.
Slyr3do0nFeb 1, 2014 7:22 PM
Feb 4, 2014 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Slyr3do0n said:
Nothing, it's not that special.

Wait, this threads really old.

Fite me.
Feb 4, 2014 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
People completely misunderstood the movie. This should be re-watched so you can truly appreciate it. I've seen a lot of other magical bullshit romance shows with fairy tale like forced happy endings.

What made this movie so good is that it reflected reality perfectly. And while the ending was a sad one, it was a memorable one as well.

Give it one more time, one more chance if you didn't appreciate it the first time. You will realize the complications of chasing a destiny.
Mar 9, 2014 4:25 AM

Mar 2013
Chu4Lyfe said:

16) At the end where they walk past each other and I guess the girl was Akari, what was the point of that? Will they see each other again the next year? (as Akari said in the beginning of the story when they were children?) They looked back before the trains passed by, but Takaki ended up being the only one there and walked away...

They never ran into each other as adults at the railroad crossing I'm too lazy to explain this, but just read here http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/4387/five-centimeters-per-second-what-does-the-ending-mean
you could also cryptically say that he'll only be able to meet her if he is able to overcome this part of the past. xD

Since lots of people are sad because of the ending, I'd really recommend to read the manga. It's true there's not much story and such but if you give it more of a thought it can be quite interesting:

*SPOOOIIIILEEEERRR*

Kanaes situation is ironically exactly the same as tounos.
She doeesn't even know where Touno is but she wants to meet him badly though he's not there.
She has another person who loves her but she clings at the past and on her feelings to him from then.
She isn't able to live on without meeting him <one more time> (xDD) so that she can be finallly sure about his feelings.
Now it gets interesting:
While touno looks after akari everywhere on the streets knowing she can't be there but still unrationally looking after her Kanae (at least to me it seems so) uses modern technology - other people, other ways - to find about his whereabouts
It doesn't even take her much time to find out his whereabouts (or rather his phone number but we can count them as the same^^)
Pls. don't ask me why touno never used such ways to find about akaris whereabouts.
It's impossible that he didn't know her full name since he wrote so many letters to her in the past where you need an address and a name.
So why did he never try to use people to find out her whereabouts and why did he never use such methods when it's shown that Kanae has no problems to solve her case the same way?!
Well it really isn't my place to find this out. There are other people who may do better in asking this.
Anyway
The manga ends with some kind of cliffhangar aka. the story is not finished.
As lots of people already have said the story represents real live: it's always on-going and it's not something you can easily set a FINISHED on. As is the manga.
Though it's finished there are many possibilities of how the story may continue.
My mother is in her 40's and finally got to meet her best childhood friend again. Ironically after she gave up on her and decided to set a"finished" to the past (and touno is clearly not in his 40's so there is still room for everything)

Nobody knows how the story will continue, what may happen to kanae and touno.
There are several possibilities though
They could get together, touno could be inspired by kanaes strong desire to find him (and how she was able to do it) and take action herself.
Kanae might want to confirm if touno has still feelings for akari or not and somehow arrange a meeting between them etc.

Well long story short:the story goes on - Touno may still be able to meet Akari - also because he isn't obsessed with her anymore and doesn't depend on the condition to meet her. That way he could additionally meet her with proud, wouldn't need to be ashamed of getting seen by her and like that fulfilll the train promise that is mentioned in the manga

and FUGGG now I really wrote a lot xD I guess that's cuz midgemage mentioned the last chapter is nothing special unless you give it a deeper thought xDD
Crystalis777Mar 9, 2014 4:31 AM
Something something something
May 23, 2014 3:01 PM

Oct 2013
The speed 5cm/s after 13 years (approximately the time which two of them last seen each other) is about the distance of the south pole and the north pole.
It is the metaphor of the distance between them.
Though I think it was a happy ending in the movie (even more in the manga) I just can't help myself being depressed.....
Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.
Jun 5, 2014 4:42 AM

Jan 2014
First of all, everyone should make their own interpretation, because this movie is difficult as everyone's life. To fully understand this, you may need to watch several times. Even then, you will never come up with accurate meaning/interpretation because it changes from one people to other.
That's why I truly love Shinkai, because he is one of the few who can perfectly reflect reality and create something unique.
This movie is worth watching in different ages, like Exupery's "The little prince".

But I wanted to emphasize that you must pay attention to the titles of episodes. For example, Second episode is titled "Cosmonaut". Bot Kanae and Takaki are cosmonauts there. They are wandering in wide, infinite space, somewhere far away.
Aug 22, 2014 6:57 PM
Oct 2012
louigel017 said:
The speed 5cm/s after 13 years (approximately the time which two of them last seen each other) is about the distance of the south pole and the north pole.
Though I think it was a happy ending in the movie (even more in the manga) I just can't help myself being depressed.....

wow...you're just amazing. I'd never thought of that
Aug 22, 2014 7:08 PM

Jun 2014
Tohno didnt even know the phone # of Akari
Aug 22, 2014 7:16 PM

Jun 2014

It portrayed that Akari already move on while Takaki's still looking on the past.

If you read the manga he once said that he's not good on expressing his feelings, i think that's the only thing that he regret. Because he didnt maintained their communication.
Aug 27, 2014 4:50 PM

Jan 2014
louigel017 said:

Wow, you are amazing... Even I didn't noticed it after everything I went through with this movie/manga O.o
Sep 8, 2014 9:45 PM
Sep 2014
I just watched the movie last night.. It surely tore my heart 5cm per second.

Thanks for the explications above. They helped me understand some parts that I did not understand in the movie.
Sep 10, 2014 8:48 AM
Sep 2014
This is what i learn from this movie and I would like my friend " Yuttarach Chan " to learn from it lol.
When two people parted, their feelings will change as time passed by, dream do not come true and expectation is useless. It would be good to love things around you, grab it, hold tight to it, and never let it go, if you may have the chance at least split it out, before its too late. For example, confess to your lover, if you haven't tell them yet. At least say I LOVE YOU for once.
As you get older, things will be more complicated, so you must learn how to deal with it, not to suffer from it. Furthermore, avoid shattering at the moment of sadness, but try to face the truth, whether it's an ugly truth.
Love could be a destiny, there is no reason to search for it, you won't find it either. The past is the past, you cannot change it. So focus on what's in your sight and get rid of the sad memories.
Do not drink alcohol when u miss s.o, it's bad for health even you are an adult. If you are a married couple, you should love each others, forget about the past affairs, and Do not feel so lonely all by yourself, go to work, chat with people, do not write a message to no one, just pick out someone who is near you, and start the conversation.
Time passed by so fast, from 1999 to 2008 in just a blink. So live your life to the fullest.
these are what i believe that this movie wanted to show to its audiences.
Sep 10, 2014 6:01 PM
Apr 2014
Rohn said:
Takaki still loved her to the end of the movie, and probably forever - probably even if he loves and gets married to another woman, he would still love Akari.

But really, it's their own faults, they probably weren't in relationships 5 years in the future, but decided to end it early after they kissed. She didn't hand him the letter. Bad decision making, not really realistic.

Meaning, they could've had part times in high school to save money, and then rode the shinkansen to anywhere within mainland japan, in 12 hours max and met up easily after graduation, or gone to the same college. Who cares.

There are a lot of plot holes if you just apply logic. I guess they were kids and kids make glaringly big mistakes? Is that the moral of the story? Or when you're 12, 5 years is a long as time from your perspective? I dunno...

They probably felt like retards 5 years into the future. Like... "the fuck... we could be together if we didn't have downs back then"

No... you're actually, well, not wrong, just it doesn't work that way...

You see, I watched this movie years ago before reading the manga, I couldn't certainly understand it until I did, specially cause it made me realize how real the movie was, so real, that it was as if a part of my life had been written into a movie.

When you are a kid, you don't think about love or anything, you just like hanging around with that person, that's enough for you.

Akari didn't give him the letter so she won't have him tied, she wanted him to make a life, his own life, she was really far away and she knew he could do well by himself.

At the time Takaki left Akari, he was thinking that he wanted to become someone she could be proud of, she wanted to protect her and both her and his feelings. He started changing a lot, became more outgoing, went out a lot and so on, but then he couldn't accept it, he had changed too much and couldn't accept that 'himself' as his real 'self'.

During chapter 2 'cosmonaut' Takaki wanted to be with Akari, but you know, time flies away, it's hard to go back to someone you haven't seen nor talked for a long time and telling him/her you love her, it's not easy, Takaki just couldn't found himself to do it, then, he became obsessed with moving on, he wanted to forget her, to find someone new but he couldn't. In this half, Takaki is no more than a kind guy who doesn't care about other feelings, when Sumida tries to confess, his expression was that kind of "please, don't do this", as if telling her that he knew, but he can't return her feelings.

In chapter 3 and the manga, Takaki is with a new person, but after so long, he became so hollow that he couldn't love anymore. He became so obsessed with moving on that he never faced his own feelings at all, he didn't write any letters to Akari, most of the time she had to do it first, not telling her how he felt was a regret much bigger than he could hold.

Losing an important part of your life, as Akari was to Takaki is too much, I know this myself, i did the same thing and hurt a lot of people along the way... i just couldn't forgive myself for not doing anything with my feelings, for leaving them aside, for changing who I used to be and for hurting the people around me, I had lost all my feelings, I could neither feel happy or sad, I can understand exactly how Takaki felt.

At the final scene with the train, Takaki thought that, if he turned around, then she would do it too, at that time, "you will be okay, Takaki-kun", those words are strong, seriously, just hearing those words can help a lot, cause it was what he wanted to hear, he knew Akari was going to be okay, that she would make her life all over again if needed with someone new, that she would fine someone who loves her as much as him, but what about him? would someone else actually love him? how would he be okay? he just wanted someone to tell him that, so he could actually believe its true.

I do agree with you that they did huge mistakes, but that kind of things happen irl too, i did this myself.

What you could learn from this is... face your feelings properly, don't care about rejection or distance, just do it, cause it's really hard feeling how everything went downhill because of that and you could hurt a lot of people in the way.

Having regrets is tough, specially one that big. Don't ever leave things unfinished, be clear with your mind, don't change so other people like you, in the end, you won't accept youself.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dec 23, 2015 2:02 AM

Jul 2014
Idk this movie as I was watching it, the main protagonist seemed to be in pain 24/7.. the distance that will never grow closer.. the effort you need to make .... the time that you lost... the future that doesn't wait for you... everything must've driven him nuts but he was trying to stay composed maybe??
But I feel salty about Akari not marrying takaki because how they both didn't try to look for each other... but hey not everyone has the same mindset and of course there will be one of not more people who will sway your mind... but idk i was really heartbroken by the fact Akari moved on while takaki was still in pain.. but maybe takaki was able to smile during the train tracks because he envisioned that Akari moved on... ash but I'm still salty fawwwwk....
And so far I think I'm the only one in 2015 who watched this and made a comment here won't
Feb 1, 2016 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing can ever compare to this movie ;(
Feb 2, 2016 9:52 AM

Mar 2015
This one is truly a masterpiece. The story is amazing. The message still ringing in my heart after years.(dont care much about the graphic)
This salad is salty favored
Feb 7, 2016 6:43 AM
Jun 2015
It technically indicates how everyones life is, of course we all want to be with person we love, some do but the rest regret with fears...
Aug 20, 2016 4:14 AM
Jun 2015
Sorry for rezzing, but I really don't understand how people can say this anime is a masterpiece.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan for tearjerker romance anime; just take a look at my list. However, this anime did not:
1. Make me feel
2.Make me cri

nor did I understand anything at all. Once the anime ended, I was just like "Wait, that's it?".

The only thing deserving any recognition in this anime from my perspective is the art, which absolutely stunning. If anyone here can explain why I didn't enjoy this movie as much as everyone else, then please do.

If worse comes to worst I'll just read the manga.
Sep 21, 2016 1:18 PM
Jun 2016
At first they were child so they didnt think about neither distance nor time that may separate them in future. They were both waiting for the other to take charge of things and that never happened. Those letters hold a significant value here. One was lost and other was not delivered. That kiss happened quite instinctively from Takaki's side(or viewers side shall I say).If either of the letter was exchanged probably we would have seen a different ending. Feeling like long distance love must be put in to words of confession. They never actually proposed to each other. I think Takaki's feelings grew a lot differently after the kiss. Akari loved Takaki, but Takaki never realised their bond as love. But the kiss changed it all. Later after the kiss, Akari wanted Takaki to take charge of things. She wanted him to contact her 1st. But for some complication Takaki never did that ,probably cos he was a bit less matured (u may see that in several places of first part) so he was a bit late in understanding about his feelings and accepting it. Probably Akari suffered a lot about Takaki's silence and then moved on. Love is a funny thing. Takaki couldnt do anything ( or shall I say didnot) about his feelings for Akari and tried to move on,(he started dreaming about some girl but he never said that it was Akari but he said it was the usual girl. That means he has feelings for her but he is failing to accept it). but instead of suppression his feeling grew. Time and distance both acted differently to both characters. Later when he finally accepted his feelings it was a bit late. After the encounter at the crossing he finally got his answer that he is late. She had moved on, so he has to too. This realisation made him smile. Throughout the movie we can see a depressed anxious Takaki,but finally he smiled and he smiled after realising that the thing he craved for so long can never be his. This was my favorite moment in the whole movie. How much trouble hardship u may face, u should face your problems with a smile and accept the things. That is life for you. Reality personified. The meaning of this movie is different to each and every other viewer. Because to learn about this movie properly u have to relate your life and experience with it. But this was totally a different type of movie than the others I have seen. A masterpiece to be honest!!
GujuChanSep 21, 2016 1:41 PM
Nov 4, 2016 10:16 PM
Jul 2013
Not going to answer all the questions sorry. But here's what i think you should get from the movie.
I think the importance of the second chapter and the anime in general is to never let a chance pass by you.
We are human beings, born to die, and we surely don't live in a fairy tale.
This anime shows that really well.
Let's take for example the scene with the rocket. That demonstrates Tohno ambitions in life. Which means their ambitions are so far away from him that he doesn't even have a chance to catch them as much as he struggles. Meanwhile he has a opportunity to be happy right at his side and he doesn't seem to notice it.
I think what you have to learn from this anime is, don't live in the past, let good memories be good memories and don't let it consume you, don't get yourself deluded to the point where you send messages to your own self to forget the emptiness you feel for something you will never achieve because meanwhile you are missing a lot of chances to be happy in so many other levels.
This is what i think...
Jan 5, 2017 7:26 AM
Jan 2017
January 5 2017.
I just watched it. First time. Left me hanging, feeling empty.
Jan 29, 2017 1:52 PM

Jul 2012
Just watched the movie.
Carto738 said:
Sorry for rezzing, but I really don't understand how people can say this anime is a masterpiece.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive fan for tearjerker romance anime; just take a look at my list. However, this anime did not:
1. Make me feel
2.Make me cri

nor did I understand anything at all. Once the anime ended, I was just like "Wait, that's it?".

The only thing deserving any recognition in this anime from my perspective is the art, which absolutely stunning. If anyone here can explain why I didn't enjoy this movie as much as everyone else, then please do.

If worse comes to worst I'll just read the manga.
This is what my impression was after finishing it. I've been desperately searching on the forums, trying to justify the movie. I want to enjoy it, I really do. I absolutely love feels, romance, drama, things of that nature. But I just can't enjoy this for some reason...
Jan 29, 2017 6:07 PM
Jan 2017
So I just made an account just to say how lots of Makoto Shinkai's work is getting attention just because of "Kimi no na wa" and personally I'm the one who's one of those people.
Even though I'm stunned with the story and the art of his animes like "Kimi no na wa" and "Koto no ha no niwa" I didn't feel this one as touching as others.
Even though I'm attending film school and I'm pretty good at critiquing movies, my love for anime (and from now on my love for Shinkai's work) just can't let me give bad grades to them haha!
So to finish this long post I did enjoy the movie but not as much as Shinkai's other ones, and yet I'd recommend everyone to watch it (possibly before the 2 titles i mentioned earlier.)!! :)
Nov 14, 2017 2:43 AM
Nov 2017
Losig777 said:
Chu4Lyfe said:

They never ran into each other as adults at the railroad crossing I'm too lazy to explain this, but just read here http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/4387/five-centimeters-per-second-what-does-the-ending-mean
you could also cryptically say that he'll only be able to meet her if he is able to overcome this part of the past. xD

Since lots of people are sad because of the ending, I'd really recommend to read the manga. It's true there's not much story and such but if you give it more of a thought it can be quite interesting:

*SPOOOIIIILEEEERRR*

Kanaes situation is ironically exactly the same as tounos.
She doeesn't even know where Touno is but she wants to meet him badly though he's not there.
She has another person who loves her but she clings at the past and on her feelings to him from then.
She isn't able to live on without meeting him <one more time> (xDD) so that she can be finallly sure about his feelings.
Now it gets interesting:
While touno looks after akari everywhere on the streets knowing she can't be there but still unrationally looking after her Kanae (at least to me it seems so) uses modern technology - other people, other ways - to find about his whereabouts
It doesn't even take her much time to find out his whereabouts (or rather his phone number but we can count them as the same^^)
Pls. don't ask me why touno never used such ways to find about akaris whereabouts.
It's impossible that he didn't know her full name since he wrote so many letters to her in the past where you need an address and a name.
So why did he never try to use people to find out her whereabouts and why did he never use such methods when it's shown that Kanae has no problems to solve her case the same way?!
Well it really isn't my place to find this out. There are other people who may do better in asking this.
Anyway
The manga ends with some kind of cliffhangar aka. the story is not finished.
As lots of people already have said the story represents real live: it's always on-going and it's not something you can easily set a FINISHED on. As is the manga.
Though it's finished there are many possibilities of how the story may continue.
My mother is in her 40's and finally got to meet her best childhood friend again. Ironically after she gave up on her and decided to set a"finished" to the past (and touno is clearly not in his 40's so there is still room for everything)

Nobody knows how the story will continue, what may happen to kanae and touno.
There are several possibilities though
They could get together, touno could be inspired by kanaes strong desire to find him (and how she was able to do it) and take action herself.
Kanae might want to confirm if touno has still feelings for akari or not and somehow arrange a meeting between them etc.

Well long story short:the story goes on - Touno may still be able to meet Akari - also because he isn't obsessed with her anymore and doesn't depend on the condition to meet her. That way he could additionally meet her with proud, wouldn't need to be ashamed of getting seen by her and like that fulfilll the train promise that is mentioned in the manga

and FUGGG now I really wrote a lot xD I guess that's cuz midgemage mentioned the last chapter is nothing special unless you give it a deeper thought xDD

Ahh thanks , gave me so much of relief
Nov 14, 2017 11:52 AM
Oct 2009
midgemage said:
You'll probably need to watch this again in a few years. XD

But jokes aside, 5cm per second is really quite a cryptic piece.

I'll start by answering as many of your questions as I can.

Chapter 1

1.) That letter is actually a different letter from the one Touno lost at the train station. It's addressed to Touno, and was presumably a letter that Akari wrote and intended to give to him.

2.) Touno did reply back, every time. The only reason his letters aren't read out are just because of the narrative style. Basically, that's the way the story is told.

Chapter 2

3 - 6.) I'll try and explain later.

7.) Presumably... she learns? That's what most people do at junior high, or so I believe.

8.) Unfortunately, no, he actually wasn't sending texts to her. If you'll listen to his monologue again, he actually wonders to himself: "Since when did I get into the habit of writing texts to nobody...?". In that scene in episode two, where he gets his little part of the narrative, we're shown one of his texts, where he writes about his dream of the woman with him, staring at the landscape. He chooses not to save the text, and deletes it.

9.) To be honest there's very little 'significance', but in a way, that is in itself important. I'll explain in more detail below.

[i]Chapter 3[/i]

10.) Yes, they're grown up. Touno has a job (though he has, apparently, quit it), and Akari is getting married. Presumably they lost contact since before the events of episode 2.

11.) This one confuses me; can you say it again, in more detail? Touno with another guy?

12 - 16.) In detail below.

=========================================

As for the questions I have skipped over above: before they can be answered, the meaning behind this anime must first be discussed. Note first, that these are my own impressions and interpretations of this movie, and as with anything else, may well only be a matter of opinion.

5cm Per Second is a story about real life. Not a light, comedic romance, not a fable with a moral, and certainly not some sort of fantasy story. It is about real life.

Episode one begins the story by introducing us to the characters and, more importantly, their feelings for each other. We come to understand through the letters, the flashbacks, and Touno's narrative, that Touno and Akari like each other. These mutual feelings are conveyed through this portion of the story and made obvious with the kiss they shared under the sakura tree. Of course, it also makes one feel rather warm and fuzzy inside, just as you would expect the average romance story to do.

However, it also introduces ideas that are built upon more significantly later, particularly in the last episode. There are several obstacles presented in this part, the first of which is distance; Akari and Touno are separated by it, and even despite their letters it continues to tear them apart, as subtly implied by his having to move even further away. Another such obstacle is time, which has resulted from the snowfalls; Touno's lone struggle against time and his immense sadness not only adds tension to this portion of the story, but also foreshadows their eventual separation as the years pass away. Touno's closing line to the episode, "I just want the power to protect her", also show us his innocent and somewhat childish outlook on the situation. With these woven in, the story begins the departure from a simple romance to something that can depict the long road of one life in a simple hour.

Episode two fast-forwards to a time when Touno has been at his new school for a fair while. It introduces a new character, Kanae, who leads much of the narrative in this part.

The change to a new character's perspective may be quite confusing at first, but hopefully it's more easily understandable after having seen the rest of the episode, or the entire movie. The 'purpose' behind this is to offer a new view, a new window, into the life of Touno. Kanae serves not only as the main character of this portion, but as another way to portray the harshness of love, as well as the gradual growth of a person into an adult.

Throughout this episode we're shown a number of things repeatedly. The first is, of course, Kanae's love for Touno. She's nigh-on obsessed with him, and finds herself happy just by being around him. The other is more subtle, but you'll find that it is actually Kanae's struggles. She has trouble with surfing, can't think of what she wants to do in the future, and finds herself unable to confess to the person she's in love with. Her continued struggles against her failings is the movie's way of depicting real life struggles; her very endeavors represent the way teenagers her age cope with the things that they are faced with.

In particular her resolve to confess on the same day she surfs properly is reflective of the many varied wishes a person of her age would similarly be having. The fact that she manages to surf, but also comes to the realisation that Touno has never liked her, is a way of saying that not all of these wishes or dreams will come true. Her painful acceptance of this fact represents growth.

The rocket is another hint (a metaphor, if you will) at the pain that comes with distance. In Touno's short little intrusion into the narrative in episode two, he wonders about the rocket's liftoff and muses that it must be the most lonely journey in the world, flying above in the darkness of the stars. This is quite tragically ironic, considering that Touno's own life (and that of the viewer, or so this movie assumes) is a journey that will inevitably come with loneliness at some points.

Episode three is the wrap-up to these three short stories and chronicles an unknown span of time in Touno's grown-up life. We are shown glimpses of his new lifestyle and of the life he now leads, and given closure of sorts to the romance that began years beforehand.

I've made this way too long by accident, so I'll keep this part short, but the main message of this last third of the movie is conveyed through three main things showed: Touno's briefly glimpsed relationship with a woman at his workplace (and the subsequent breakup), both Touno and Akari's memories of that meeting in the snow, and finally, their continuing lives.

Touno's new relationship with the woman, which had been going on for three years, revisits the harshness of reality. Their flashbacks portray regret and suggest the idea that life doesn't always go the way you expect.

Perhaps the most powerful thing depicted here, though, is their continuing lives. In the last scene, where the two are about to see each other again but have their view blocked by trains, Touno is seen smiling and turning to walk on. The two of them are able to live on in spite of being separated.

==================================

I do not think that there is any clear-cut, obvious moral to this story, like "people should be more faithful" or anything like that. Rather, to me, it means that people will meet and create memories, move on, and be able to hold these close despite having left. In the end, what 5cm Per Second shows is not really a matter of fixing, keeping or even having a relationship, but a part of life that comes and passes.

I really think that it's up to your own interpretation for the most part, though. I would advise you to pick a little less at the details of this, and feel the emotions behind this yourself. ^^

Actually many people don't like the anime because the story falls aprt from ep. 2. For example you can't love someone while you can't remember the person you are in love. You can't expect an answer when you aren't even writing to that person. Kanae couldn't know that she wasn't the one he desired. He didn't know what he want's himself then. So the story could move several ways: 1) she either chikens out (fails to confess and no point in ep. 3 as it is because his previous relationship ended and the next never started/began?!), 2). she confesses and gets rejected, so no point in ep. 3 as it is, both relationships ended, but we could be showed what happens next to the protoganist 3). she confesses and he agrees to date her, but there is no point in ep. 3 as it is, and ep. 3 could be about their relationship, whether it worked or not. Or ep. 2 should be remade where he remembers her and tries to connet, but fails. She moves on, he can't. Then there will be no contradictions. Sorry for my english i hope you understand what i meant.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.