Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Gintama: Shinyaku Benizakura-hen Episode 1 Discussion

Sep 20, 2012 4:34 PM

While it was a good movie I feel slightly disappointed that they didn't do an original story...then again original stories usually suck when they make movies alongside long running anime.

Oct 7, 2012 8:08 AM

i currently own the DVD for this and haven't watched it yet, and if ive never watched the series before am i going to follow the movie and understand it all?

thanks

Oct 8, 2012 1:06 AM

Tr1ckR said:
i currently own the DVD for this and haven't watched it yet, and if ive never watched the series before am i going to follow the movie and understand it all?
Well umm, our fellow main characters from the Yorozuya will introduce themselves in the beginning.
They mention the setting; Edo, aliens invasion, etc. You'll be able to understand without prior knowledge.
Unfortunately, you probably won't catch some of the running gags.

I'd still say you could enjoy the movie though. Hopefully anyways, lol.
cr. pixiv id=681650

Oct 8, 2012 9:01 PM

aokuro said:
Tr1ckR said:
Well umm, our fellow main characters from the Yorozuya will introduce themselves in the beginning.
They mention the setting; Edo, aliens invasion, etc. You'll be able to understand without prior knowledge.
Unfortunately, you probably won't catch some of the running gags.

I'd still say you could enjoy the movie though. Hopefully anyways, lol.

ok thanks, may as well give it a shot

Nov 4, 2012 1:27 PM

THAT'S HIGH PRAISE!

loved it. everything i hoped for. especially the new ed song. amazingggg
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 6, 2013 3:02 PM

A pretty nice summery of the arc, while not my favorite arc in Gintama it was still very enjoyable to watch especially with the more detail brought in the art and animation! A good arc into movie in general lets see what the specials have to offer!

Dec 27, 2013 1:26 PM

War-san & ner-san kittaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!

Sep 27, 2014 2:21 AM

I loved Benizakura arc. Absolutely amazing and Zura/Gintoki's fighting scene were well choreographed.

Rating this 9/10 for now.

Jan 29, 2015 8:05 PM

Yeah, that was still pretty great, like a rewatch of the arc, but in 16:9 and in HD. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that they didn't added much more scenes. I think that they made the fight of Gintoki with Katsura against the amanto a bit longer.

Also, I didn't remembered that Katsura could be so wise and serious when he want to, like when he was discussing with Takasugi... But yeah, that's pretty rare x)
Also, these GintokixTae moments are the reason I ship them :)
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie

Feb 9, 2015 5:31 PM

This scene from the movie (also from Gintama Haru Matsuri 2010)
anyone have any idea what Shouyou is saying at the end?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYfPn1owAA

Feb 12, 2015 9:09 AM

I'm up to the Yagyu arc, so should I watch this now or wait until I'm finished?

Apr 7, 2015 3:20 AM

It's still a pretty decent Gintama movie. I'll give it a 10/10 just because its Gintama.

Sep 19, 2015 8:07 PM
Anime Moderator
Finally watched it two years later after watching this arc in the series. It was good, and although I don't remember all the details, I could tell they cut some of the comedy scenes out and I feel like they also changed the part where Gintoki leaves Yorozuya, I thought Gintoki and Otae passed each other on the street instead. But yeah, it was overall still fun and exciting, I especially love the new scenes for the Gintoki and Katsura fight. Also really enjoyed the dialogue between Gintoki and Katsura as they were fighting, although that's probably the same. I laughed so hard when Katsura opened up his Elizabeth parachute, that part I definitely didn't remember at all. This pales in comparison though as a movie against the second film :P Not my favorite arc either, I would rather see another arc remastered into a movie.

Oct 18, 2015 8:20 AM

I tried to watch this movie in Dub but I just can't, so I watched it in Sub and I do enjoyed this movie alot. Especially the part when Gintoki and Katsura team up together to fight against the Harusame, the insert song was really nice. But Benizakura is not my favourite arc from the Gintama series, that title belongs to Shinsengumi Crisis :) Solid movie.

Amazing Insert song as always from Gintama.
Modified by BruceLad, Oct 18, 2015 8:37 AM

Nov 13, 2015 6:01 PM

Great remake to an amazing arc, a lot of improvements on the animation , i enjoyed this a lot .

Nov 19, 2015 7:42 PM
SHSL Good Luck

This movie was a great remastering of the Benizakura arc! The animations were top notch, especially Gintoki and Katsura's fight. Bakuchi Dancer is the best thing I've heard from DOES. The ending was soooo funny with the Warner Brothers coming in and saying how Gintama fooled them with Naruto and Bleach manga and told them that they are the most popular samurai anime in Japan. Lol one of them is a ninja, the other a shinigami!

5/5
Modified by GoldenDevilGamer, Dec 30, 2015 6:22 AM

Feb 12, 2016 2:41 AM

Badass Arc & Badass visuals. The fighting scenes were top-notch & finally, got a good dose of BLOOD! :D

Apr 7, 2016 1:48 PM

That was great! The Benizakura arc isn't even in my top 3 serious arcs but this was still a good movie with lush art & animation to boot. Loved how they added in some extra scenes, likes the ones with Kamui. I can say for sure I did not expect to see him in this...

Also I swear Bakuchi Dancer is underappreciated... how can you not love DOES? :P

That ending scene though... trust Gintama. :P

Jun 1, 2016 4:12 PM

Watched this movie two years after completing the arc and I have to say this genuinely topped my exceptions. Benizakura was one of those arcs that I never actually cared about but after watching this movie, I actually love it. The added scenes and the directing was amazing. I'd give it a 10/10 because I never expected anything from this and it totally surprised me. I'm just sitting here thinking how badass and glorious other arcs would look if one of my least favourite serious arcs in Gintama looks like this (Well, it's not in the least favourite category anymore because of this movie).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 29, 2016 11:32 AM

Same arc as before, with new animation, some fluid fight scenes and usual Gintama antics! It's nothing more than an above average shounen flick, but still a ton of fun! That ending was golden though!

Jan 17, 2017 8:39 PM

I actually skipped episodes 58-61 for this movie. Damn was it phenomenal!!! Amazing animation, action and comedy sequences, and overall a great story. Makes me wonder how I never got to watch Gintama before. 9/10

Mar 5, 2017 5:53 AM

I think the Benizakura Arc is only good when you are watching it for the first time.

8/10 still.

May 9, 2017 1:45 PM

I wasn't sure about watching it but that intro and end were totally worth it. I knew something was suspicious once I saw Warner Bros.

Jul 30, 2017 8:53 AM

That was really cool! Real cinematic and beautiful art and animation! The added scenes for the Shinsengumi and Kamui were really neat. My same issues with this arc persist, such as the story getting weak once it reached the third act, and Shinpachi and Kagura feeling rather extraneous at that point, but that's expected.

The confrontation with Nizo at the bridge was probably my favorite. They fucking nailed it aside from that extremely out of place joke with Elizabeth sayin- er, writing "This anime is violent!" that was present in the TV version. Still, it was thrilling and the timing seemed better than in the TV version. Shinpachi saving Gin gave me chills.

However, a couple of my other favorite scenes got edits I didn't appreciate. When Gin "sneaks away" from Otae, I was sorta disappointed that the vocal version of Banjiya Blues didn't play because I loved that track and it added so much character to the scene and was what made it unforgettable to me in the TV version. Also, I preferred Gin passing Otae in the street.

There's also when Gin made his entrance on the ship for the final battle. That scene got butchered. I didn't like how Shinpachi and Kagura introduced him, it was better when Gin just idly waltzed in with a quip and gave that cheeky as fuck smile.

Still, I can't ignore all the changes that were made for the better, like Gin and Katsura fighting the Amanto on this ship. Simply fucking badass.

However, my biggest complaint with this movie is that almost all of the music was recycled from the TV version. I don't think it fit a cinematic production. (Yes, I know I just complained about one of the songs being changed)

But yeah, the opening also cracked me up and it was awesome to see all those characters in the last bit. I had fun just trying to identify as many as I could. Overall a very fun watch and a good retelling! 8/10

Aug 22, 2017 9:48 PM

Awesome movie.

I think there is not enough Zura in this movie. :(

Yeah I love happy ending!

7/10

let us dream an eternal dream while
embracing this maddeningly beloved earth

Aug 24, 2017 8:35 PM

Oh my gosh, Elizabeth scenes were soooooo funny! LOL.

This movie was amazing! I'm giving it a 8/10. Action packed goodness, great comedy, storyline-- YES.

Nov 9, 2017 12:19 PM

What a great movie nothing really comedy happened except for the beginning, anyway
This movie changed the whole way I looked at Gintama I loved everything about this movie since I skipped watching episode 58-61 thanks to a good friend told me to watch this movie instead, and now we know were it all started back when Gin-san was kid, I never thought that Gin-san hated the world that much and he tough it up with his smiles and watching the DUO slaying some piretes amanto it was fantastic. 8/10
Avoiding spoilers be like

Feb 28, 2018 12:47 AM

The Benizakura arc is already an 8-9 out of 10, but this practically perfects it with the animation. The animation is so fucking great. I watched this movie 2 times now (3 times if we include watching the original telling in the series) and it gets better every time.

Nov 1, 2018 8:52 AM

other than the new animation and DOES insert song, the movie was disappointing tbh. pacing was horrible and didn't add much regarding their past (unlike the series sort of made it out to be)
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)

Nov 14, 2018 3:00 AM
this movie for me is ok.. yeah here we have the epic battle yeah but less in the grapich but the plot is not strong it all..

Pages (2) « 1 [2]