Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Apr 2012
saw some of this again and wow is it powerfully dull. Almost makes me angry. It is possible to tell an engaging slow dramatic story but this misses by a mile.
Feb 1, 2017 7:39 AM

Jul 2008
Damn Kuze you are one cold bastard, even if you cracked at the end.

Great movie, certainly not talked about enough.

8/10
Feb 27, 2017 9:52 AM

May 2016
I expected something else entirely before watching this since I only looked at the poster @_@ I thought that it was gonna be some kind of Hellsing-style Military Werewolf Horror Action flick. I was right on some parts, but boy was I wrong xD

I kinda disliked the significance of the Little Red Riding Hood story because it keeps getting suddenly brought up whenever it feels like it.

Kei looked cute in the playground~ Fuse was awesome af when he came ta rescue her.

It was obvious that Fuse would be a member of the Wolf Brigade but the reveal still surprised me :o How he switched from hesitant soldier to killing machine shocked me.

I almost cried at the tragic ending... I didn't see it coming and it ran me over ;_;

I'd provide a deeper analysis of this but it's kinda late and imma getting sleepy. I wanna cosplay that Wolf Armor.

Apr 5, 2017 7:49 AM
Aug 2013
I really liked this story, but it felt like it should've been live action or a novel. The kerberos armour is really cool looking and the few actions scenes look great, but besides that it's a lot of drab scenery and people talking for long periods of time.

Also the middle was slow, and the red riding hood theme was heavily forced, especially at the end where she was finishing the tale knowing she was going to be killed which was not organic at all (I watched the dub so maybe it was the actors fault?).

This film got me wondering if the Red Riding Hood story is not as well known in Japan. That's the only explanation for why they played it out slowly throughout the whole film. Although I had not heard this version where she eats her grandmothers flesh and drinks her blood.
May 17, 2017 9:14 AM

Jul 2015
I could say that this movie is really interesting and fantastic. Kinda lost a bit in the show thou. Eerie atmosphere, melancholic ost, and the transition from scene to scene really fit well to the movie.

A bit slow paced till middle. The narrative that's used to tell the story of the novel flew really well with the story. Fuse, the male lead of Jin Rou, is being told as a wolf that later in the beginning of story find some humanity inside him, and Kei, as a red riding hood. The way the story developing, they become closer and closer.

But, in the end, the wolf should make a decision and the decision is, he never has a choice from the start. He will always be the wolf in pack. A wolf is always a wolf and there was never going to be a happily ever after. A perfect ending to this movie.

All in all, Jin Rou is a really tragic movie with the director that's directing really well. I could say this is almost masterpiece. The uses of symbolism ,how the characters grow through the movie, and how should the man that is actually wolf act makes this movie undeniably creates an impactful story.
Jun 15, 2017 11:26 PM

Dec 2016
What a beautiful, deep, and amazing story I had a great time watching
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 7, 2017 11:57 AM

Jun 2015
What an incredibly underrated movie... well, maybe just on MAL. It blows my mind that pandering shit like YOI!! gets over an 8 on this site while a well-written piece of introspective art like Jin-Roh has 7.85... this is a really great piece; the Little Red Riding Hood motif threw me off for a while, but towards the end what the film was trying to say really got through. I'll need to buy the DVD and rewatch sometime.

That ending was just awful, but at the same time I think it was the appropriate choice to make. It couldn't have ended any other way. Not saying it was the right choice, just that it was the only choice. Such is the way of things if you follow this particular sphere of philosophical thought to its natural end, unfortunately. I'll be highly recommending this show to some of my friends who aren't as big on anime, seems like a good gateway show!
Sep 24, 2017 2:09 PM

Dec 2014
After the amazing start the movie got really slow for too long but came back for a really cool climax. The story was really neat and I liked it but the slow pacing made it a bit of a bore for me.

6/10
Nov 19, 2017 11:52 AM

Nov 2011
A film with disarming expressive and visual power. Something that will already know who appreciated the works of Master Mamoru Oshii. A well-told story that leaves no doubt and no happy ending, as it should unfortunately be. I've never been hesitant throughout the narration, not even a little hesitation, in my mind I was realizing from now on and up to the greatness of this film. Masterpiece! One of the few jobs I can give as a full 10 vote, if not without it.

10/10
Nov 21, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2012
Personally, the beginning came on way too strong just to take a back seat burner approach for the middle 60% of the movie before reigniting for the last part. That's not to say it's a bad story, because that's far from the truth. But man, to me, this is really just a prime example of a great story done wrong with not so good execution/set up.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 26, 2018 6:40 PM

Jan 2017
Dramatized story.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Feb 23, 2018 11:33 PM

Oct 2011
quite advanced for a 90s animation. but the moments of pause dropped this out of my interest from time to time..unfortunately.

Apr 10, 2018 2:13 PM

Mar 2018
A lot of the qualms people have with this anime are slightly annoying. But then again, it's all subjective. In my opinion however, the pacing was subtle and in short, perfect. Especially when you consider it in regards to everything else. The soundtrack was phenomenal and the cinematography was as beautiful as it was eerie and grim. Set the tone throughout perfectly. Oshii is a fucking master with the palette.

Furthermore, a lot of the themes of the movie that even i didn't realise enough to ponder on are articulated amazingly in this video. Please watch if you've just finished Jin-Roh.

WAQRApr 10, 2018 2:22 PM

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 20, 2018 4:39 PM

Jul 2017
Just rewatched, still as amazing as it was the first time. I was conflicted on the ending before, but this time I was interested to find I thought the ending really was perfect and exactly the way it should have been. Anything else would not only have been thematically inconsistent, but philosophically dishonest.

And that scene where Fuse has the dream about her getting torn up by the wolves in the tunnel... man, I wish there were more anime these days that could even get close to being that intense. Love this movie, definitely a favorite of mine.
Aug 27, 2018 4:23 PM

Oct 2015
I must say I underestimated Fuse, but he turned the situation around and even knew about Kei from the start. But puzzles me, did he love her truly or was he using her, and did she love him truly or did she use him? Hell did they truly love each other? I still don't get who shot her, the old man or Fuse? All these questions were left out.

The big question is that did he even feel depression about the dead girl, like when Henma asked, why didn't he shoot her but was able to shoot those guys without mercilessness? Oh well it was good though, but Fuse should've ran away with her, forget everything.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 8, 2019 5:06 PM

Oct 2013
Underrated is an understatement. This is probably one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years.
It felt a little bit slow during the middle towards the ending but it all makes sense now with that final ending/reveal.

When I see movies/shows with a score like this it makes me wonder how much I'm missing out on.

Either a 9/10 or 10/10 from me.

Jun 20, 2019 10:20 PM

Jan 2013
Seen the movie twice in the last 24 hours, just to understand the message and appreciate it after my 2nd viewing.
Seeing what it was trying to portray.

The Special Unit outfit is probably one of the most badass suits I've seen in anime, also the machinegun with it's sound ... my goodness.
Surprised the police didnt check public transport when they were on the run.

I did a great job of telling us it's not as easy as just victim and villain by using the "Little Red Riding Hood" tale.
It's always a grey area, sometimes we just have people.
Just as Fuse wasn't always the "Wolf" during the movie nor Kei being "Little Red Riding Hood".
And not just them, for example the start of the movie, same goes for the people involved with the riot, both the police and the people attacking the police.
Jul 5, 2020 3:01 PM

Nov 2016
Tragic situation Fuse was forced into and I liked the contrast between him at the beginning and at the end.

Also good atmosphere and depiction of grey morality. But I think I need at least a rewatch to get most out of this movie.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 15, 2020 8:28 AM

Sep 2017
The 'Little Red Riding Hood' motif was far too played out and became rather predictable towards the end of the movie. The first ~15 min. were memorable -- and relevant! -- given modern day events, but it was rather prosaic from that point forward.

3/10
Jan 6, 2021 6:02 AM

Sep 2019
Didn't understand this one that much chief, ngl, probably gonna give it a rewatch in a couple months, because i couldn't watch it in one go but rather in 2 halfs in different days, so that may have something to do with that, it got me hooked to the screen from start to finish but the red riding hood metaphore was too stretched for my taste.

But if i'm being honest, the thing that is the biggest backdrop for me was the voice acting, in japanese the characters just don't sell it for me, specially the girl, in spanish (spain) the voices have too much emotion for the facial expresions of the characters and in english also didn't convince me so idk how to feel about that, specially since this has such a good animation, looks like its rotoscoped but that doesn't mean its bad or easy to do either, because its a really well done rotoscope if it is, if it isn't, hats off to the animators even more.
Mar 17, 2021 5:08 AM

Feb 2020
It is good movie in terms of visual. l liked how they perfectly mashed red riding hood story to this plot, had a lot of creative sense. But that's about it, the plot was dull at places and pointless in the end and with a downer ending (especially if u known the plot of its predecessor live action movies in Kerberos saga, u will all the more realize this is anything but pointless and mamoru oshii is just trying to rub salt in our wounds)
yeah good movie, but its not for me
AdampkMar 21, 2021 12:56 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 18, 2021 3:00 AM

Apr 2012
Raines said:
When I see movies/shows with a score like this it makes me wonder how much I'm missing out on.

This, 100%. Absolutely magnetic movie but I'd be lying if I said I was surprised by MAL not loving it.
Sep 11, 2021 11:11 PM

Mar 2016
One may say that this movie has a convoluted narrative with the less-than-substantial amount of dialogue between the characters nor the characters' own ambition within the story, however, while I do agree regarding all that. The result of having all this is a movie with a densely thick atmosphere, the psychological aspect of the movie itself can be sensed at every scene one might see. From the political struggles to a man's identity and obligation to carry out tasks as the wolf he is. The integration of the plot to the tale of red riding hood was a clever addition to the plot progression and how one might already know the ending so long as they know the story of the REAL red riding hood, but the use of the tale was quite a bit too excessive, especially around the middle of the movie.

Still, I cannot deny that to me, the story was bland and might I say... Boring. It made up some of it with the dark plot revelation near the end, and the impactful ending, but other than that, there's nothing to write home about. On the other hand, the animation and art style for this movie, while unconventional, fits excellently with how gloomy and gritty the world is in this story, the mechanical 'soldiers' and their weapons are among some of the most striking imagery of this move, the OST adds into the drama and finally ending the entire show with a melancholic outro song. It's a decent experience but one that need not be praised all too high.
Sep 19, 2021 12:06 PM

Jun 2017
This movie had me fooled at the start. I thought it was going to be entirely about Fuse getting over the death of the kid. Turns out it was about a secret operation with double agent work. The soldier had to follow orders irrespective of his own emotions and they nailed that part. That said, it was too slow paced around the middle for my taste. The realistic animation fits the plot but Fuse looks just like Guts. I kept thinking about Berserk while watching this lol.
Dec 30, 2021 6:55 AM
Jan 2020
Didn't really understand shit, but the OST, Atmosphere, Animation was damn good.

Might rewatch this at some time.
Jan 30, 2022 2:08 PM

Jan 2022
nice armors, but boring anime, but very good visuals.
EsrielJan 31, 2022 3:07 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2022 2:13 PM
Jul 2019
not that good. stretched out plot and repetitive, shoved down your throat symbolism is a big no-no. Characteristically has nothing going for it either. Nice aesthetic choice kinda?

Jun 30, 2022 9:08 PM
Nov 2020
I fail to understand how this is from 2000? It almost outperforms animes from this day and age in artstyle and animation? And i know CGI is off putting for alot of people but regardless it's really good.
Jul 15, 2022 6:18 AM

Oct 2009
Finally got around to this.
And that was depressing af.

The OST is under appreciate.
Decent plot, rather predictable but I liked the symbolism.

The pacing could be better,
I miss I.G doing stuff like this..

8/10
Aug 17, 2022 9:10 PM
Jul 2022
I believe Jin-Roh is the best 90s amine. It is a masterpiece and closely relates to our society. I love the sewer scene.
Aug 26, 2022 12:43 AM

May 2021
Very solid anime, simple yet not boring, no comedy, no stupidity, no overdrama, no good-ism, very dry and straightforward anime and that is good, animation is nice and OST was nice too. I gave it a 8/10 but I dont see anything wrong with somebody watching this and considering it a masterpiece. One of the just few animes that you can feel like an adult while watching it entirely.

So sad to think that this was released in 1998 and now in 2022 we have Kaguya-sama, My Dress-up Darling, Rising of Shield Hero, Spy x Family, Lycoris Recoil, another pathetic romantic movie from Shinkai and 50 more Isekais/SoL/CGDCS. What went wrong in all this time that we got so low?
Nov 8, 2022 2:31 AM

Dec 2007
I was debating whether to score it 7 or 8 because the pacing in the middle was bad and riddled with a lot of innecessary scenes, but the story was great and the animation is one of the best I've seen, from character design to scenery and atmosphere, absolutely perfect!
So that said, it's an 8 from me. I wish they explored more about the Wolf Brigade, but leaving it mysteriously in the background was correct, it's what keeps the viewer interested
Dec 26, 2022 4:01 AM

Aug 2017
Phenomenal animation and atmosphere, good addition to the Kerberos Saga. I find it ironic though that people praise Oshii for this movie despite it being not "his" (hello, it's Okiura's film first and foremost) while ignoring the actual Oshii's films from this universe that came a decade before, namely Red Spectacles and Stray Dog...Tachiguishi Retsuden was later but still even more obscure.
St0rmbladeDec 26, 2022 4:09 AM
Jan 1, 2023 2:17 AM

Feb 2017
Does the film ever resolve why Fuse didn't shoot the first girl? I feel like he gets swept up in the counter-intel operation without actually addressing what made him hesitate. The final scene where he can barely carry out his orders show his emotions caught up to him, but didn't consume him. His instructor's reaction at the end almost says that he still has more work to do with Fuse.

Mar 12, 2023 8:17 PM

Jul 2016
Chrome_Falcon said:
This movie had me fooled at the start.  I thought it was going to be entirely about Fuse getting over the death of the kid. Turns out it was about a secret operation with double agent work. The soldier had to follow orders irrespective of his own emotions and they nailed that part. That said, it was too slow paced around the middle for my taste. The realistic animation fits the plot but Fuse looks just like Guts. I kept thinking about Berserk while watching this lol.
i was blindsided too. i'm also surprised that i didn't see anyone else mention the resemblance to guts, couldn't stop musing over the similitude... 
Jun 5, 2023 2:29 AM

Jul 2017
a wonderful movie, it made me cry so bad.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Jun 26, 2023 11:04 AM

Oct 2021
damn that's some darkshit and sad ending :( well this was a good movie actually..
Jul 7, 2023 6:41 AM
Aug 2018
Story was well done, however was quite confusing.
It's also remarkably depressing.
Aug 25, 2023 2:14 PM
Jul 2017
The story is really compelling, if you like to dissect the philosophy of ethics, the nature of humans, and love a good plot-twist, this story is for you. The art isn't modern but it's very beautiful for the story as it perfectly encapsulates the vibe.

My personal thoughts/theory

This may be a controversial take, but Fuse wasn't actually a beast in humans clothing, rather he is a human in beast's clothing, let me explain, in the beginning when he had first met Nanami, he hesitated on killing her, same reason as to why he didn't wish to kill Kei, why though? Well it's because of innocence, he essentially doesn't want to kill people who he deems innocent, while yes morally wise they aren't innocent as they indirectly caused injury/death by providing the bags with bombs, in Fuse's eyes, he deemed them as innocent.

Now here's my supporting reasons:

Why didn't he feel emotion to killing the random people? - There was a line in the story where in Fuse and Henmi talked in the Museum, Henmi had said something in the lines of animals, killing animals in order to survive. In fuse's eyes, the other oppositions were fellow animals as he is
The little red riding hood story, what is it's significance? - The story is essentially the same as what we are used to with a few changes, so that it'd fit the story more, firstly, the path of nails which the little girl had embarked on to go back to her mother, and secondly, the food in which the little girl ate (being her mother), thus with that in mind, here is my take on the story in relation to what happened with Fuse:
Fuse isn't the wolf, for the wolf is the counter-intelligence, so technically he is just a part of the wolf.
Kei isn't the little red riding hood, at least she's just a part of it, rather it's actually the organization

Let me explain:

Just like the story, Kei (red riding hood) had met Fuse, (the wolf), after a while they go to the museum set up by the organization (the house in little red riding hood story), the path she took was nails, meaning that she will be going through something difficult, Kei wanted to see her mother, the mother being love or finding satisfaction in life (as seen in the ending), they then escape and end up in the sewers, only then Kei realizes that what she found wasn't love, but it was a wolf in disguise (fuse).
Now how does this relate to fuse being human and not a beast? Well, if we change the counter intelligence to be the wolf in this scenario, and the main force as the little red riding hood then everything would start to make sense.

From the moment the main force made Kei a spy, the wolves (CI) had already set their eyes on her, just like in the story, they had trapped little red riding hood (the main force) and had beat them in their own game. Fuse on the other hand is sadly a person who really is human acting like a beast as we can see in various scenes, him having PTSD, illusions of many wolves eating Kei alive (or the counter intelligence killing herin the end), essentially he was forced to do all this.

Post notes: I really like this theory because it really adds another layer to fuse being a very calculative guy, his illusions weren't just there to show that he has ptsd, but also shows how in the very beginning, he knew that this person who he found himself to be infatuated with would perish, and he can do nothing.
Another thing to take note of here is the emotions the main force had felt whenever they were faced in a dire situation, scared, complacent, very fearful of what's to come, while eveyone in the counter intelligence were calculative, serious, essentially like beasts.
Oct 6, 2023 11:18 PM

Oct 2013
Beautiful movie worth of being called a masterpiece. One of the best anime movies I've ever seen.
Nov 9, 2023 9:27 AM
Jul 2023
Expected more from it
Feb 25, 10:21 PM

Oct 2019
Just finished this movie. I will definitely say that the art and animation of this movie are incredible. I loved the look of them wearing that armor. And the bloodbath at the end was truly gruesome with Fuse. I think if I rewatched this and slowly dissected the dialogue and symbolism, maybe id like it more. But on the first watch, i felt the pacing was kinda slow and characters were a bit dull. There were like 3 moments that they focused more on the city itself and they just talked about red riding hood which i thought was forced down my throat a whole lot in the movie. Music was pretty good and the story by todays standards was alright.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Mar 6, 3:05 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Is this a coincidence the guy looks like Guts from Berserk?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Satoshi Kon got nothing to do with the script

Vanhibiki - Mar 21

3 by Theo1899 »»
Mar 22, 8:14 AM

» Tatsuki Fujimoto just recommended this!!!

Chiragthegreat - Dec 17, 2023

5 by Steez76 »»
Dec 18, 2023 3:22 PM

» Kei Amemiya from "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade" (1999)

RJDA - Feb 21, 2023

0 by RJDA »»
Feb 21, 2023 6:50 PM

» Do I need to watch any other movies in the "Kerberos saga" before I watch "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade"?

BearfootTruck - Dec 28, 2020

2 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 26, 2022 4:05 AM

» Fuse made the right choice?

Milk-plus__ - Nov 26, 2008

42 by -Xenophon- »»
Aug 26, 2022 12:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.