Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Petshop of Horrors Episode 4 Discussion

Jul 13, 2010 3:34 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was pleasantly surprised with this anime. The visuals are very simple and it doesn't have a specific plot, it just tells four different stories affected by the actions of Count D. and his mysterious Petshop. And each story is fantastic, I loved the direction and spooky atmosphere of the 4 episodes, each one will focus on a different theme with its respective creepiness and dark mood!

Nov 7, 2010 5:26 AM
This anime was great in general. I loved the 3 first episodes. The last one was good too but, I found it a bit more boring than the other 3. The 4 stories are magnific though. The drawings are simple and good, and the background music is awesome. It makes you feel really odd!!!. I really liked it!!!.

Jun 4, 2011 2:41 PM
A very good anime. I also found the 3 first episodes were better but all was interesting. A strange atmosphere with this Count D!

Feb 22, 2012 2:16 AM

I really enjoyed this series, like you all :D It gave off such a different feeling to other series I've seen! I loved the Count's attitude, and his love of sweet things xDD!! The stories were really well done, and interesting! Kept you wondering what was to happen next!

Aug 11, 2012 9:34 AM

Pretty well done for an OVA. The manga is of course not comparable, but as a stand alone anime, the stories kept you going and attached without having much background information. Too bad this wasn't made into a proper series.

The "LITTLE white house" at the end was pretty amusing, but not as interesting as the other episodes. Politics meh. xP

Dec 4, 2012 7:09 PM

This anime was really interesting! This is personally my favorite style of art in anime and manga. I think four episodes was not enough! I really love it. I'm going to rewatch it a lot. XD

May 21, 2013 4:11 PM

Quite a lovely anime actually, some interesting concepts and a nice ending! 6/10

Jul 21, 2013 12:49 PM

This was such a nice surprise, I wouldn't mind seeing some more. :)
I hope you have a lovely day ♥ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )

Jun 12, 2014 7:50 PM

I really like how the Kirin looks and I like how Kelly ends up in his friend's body. It was obvious that he was the better choice for Nancy anyways.
I wish there was more episodes, this seems more like an OVA so it would be cool if they would make another series but following the manga and its storyline.

Jul 17, 2014 12:59 AM

A beautiful anime overall... The premise, the morals of those 4 stories... Wow!
This episode is great too. It's just that I expected a bit more of the main story.
I expected a proper ending, a thorough explanation of the Count's background.
Hope for a sequel. This makes me wanna read the manga even more, though ^.^

Aug 2, 2014 7:00 PM

Not exactly superb for being made by Madhouse.
Very predictable; plot didnt go far; not enough likable characters;
meh 6/10

Oct 17, 2014 7:10 PM

Not as formulaic different type of story to the others and all the better for it.

Nov 25, 2015 12:49 PM
Hitagi's Pet

It had the potential to be so much better, but still found it very enjoyable and with great art. Shame there was only 4 episodes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 27, 2015 5:34 AM

Just as it seemed to be hitting the most interesting part of the scenario, the episode ends. I wonder if this story was actually continued in the manga?

Overall, I can't say I'm disappointed since I came in without expectation. The 90s detail was lovely at times, and there were some worthwhile moments here and there. Nothing altogether atrocious, but largely quite forgettable.

That said, it's definitely a hook enough to get me to look for the manga sometime. Hopefully the source material will be more satisfying - reaching greater heights.

Jan 1, 2016 11:32 PM
Surprised a happy ending.i wonder if nancy knows. Since well she only told kelly about that stuff she wanted. wish there was more episode. This made for a very good watch.

Feb 6, 2016 6:28 PM
Towel Attendant

souledge94 said:
Surprised a happy ending.i wonder if nancy knows. Since well she only told kelly about that stuff she wanted. wish there was more episode. This made for a very good watch.

Fully agreed!!
I enjoyed the last episode the best even though they were all entertaining in concept. Watching this anime was like watching the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. In the final thought, I will stick with my plain old cat and stay out of the Pet Shop.

Mar 20, 2017 1:28 AM
Fitting art & ost for the mysterious but not creepy atmosphere.
Each short is quite thoughtful, tho illogical in parts, integrates some mythology with morals. Nice characters are well designed adults, classy fashion like the count & ep4 wife. They're not all scumbags who die.

The us pres part, random scholarship & pengy were hilarious, but otherwise it was a surprising turn of events into bodyswapping bf ntr, where the 'bad apple' also redeems himself in a way.

Apr 16, 2017 11:57 PM

It wasn't how he imagined it but it worked out anyway~ Begone with the thunderclap!

It's not so much as a horror but it was a nice and mysterious watch.

Jul 1, 2017 11:20 AM

...ok. this episode was not only the best episode of this anime,it was one of the best episodes i ever saw in any anime,period. it was so engrossing it was incredible. i did realize that they switched souls(and i assume he got his talents too)as soon as they said that the driver died,but this was still incredible. also,that moment when the detective saw the mayor was a customer was priceless XD. really really wish there were more episodes to this anime. oh well. it was awesome :)

BTW guys,did you notice who the 3 guys the count said made a contract with the Kirin were? they were Kim Il-Sung(founder of North Korea),Hitler,and Roosevelt. pretty interesting stuff.
Modified by FFTHEWINNER, Jul 1, 2017 11:24 AM

Sep 30, 2017 3:18 AM

It was rather interesting and had a mysterious overtone. However some of the stories were just simply ridiculous like Alices backstory. I'll give this a 6/10

Sep 30, 2017 5:27 AM

Another great episode! Roger was a pain, and in the end Kelly got his body and his wife and he would turn into a future president.

Feb 2, 2018 10:03 PM
Yandere yandere

This episode and the ending were a let down. I enjoyed episodes 1 and 3.

Apr 1, 2018 3:14 PM
Cool show, but we need more then 4 eps.

Aug 22, 2018 11:05 AM
Very good show with great direction and atmostphere, we need a proper horror show like this nowadays. I wish there were more episodes, now i may need to read the manga.

Sep 11, 2018 4:35 PM

So the Kirin chose Kelly instead, I guess he was the one who wanted his wish to be granted most than Roger. In the end he got Roger's life and wife. I guess that was his inner wish all along and that's why the Kirin took Roger in Kelly's body and let Kelly lived in Roger's life. In other words he wanted to be Roger.

I loved this anime overall, too bad it was only 4 episodes. The Count is still a mystery but I like him, but I don't like that noisy bastard Leon. Every episode ended in a bad way, because nobody listened to the stipulations of the contract. I will try and read the manga.
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John

May 30, 7:42 PM

good shit man. i would've liked more episodes, but pretty good still.