Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2010 10:37 PM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I am already hooked = )
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Aug 17, 2010 12:25 PM

Jul 2010
This episode was good. Nice to focus more on Ran and Conan rather than the case.

She was so close! Don't be fooled Ran!
Jun 17, 2011 2:38 PM
Oct 2010
I know that status quo is God in these series, but seeing Ran freak out at having accidentally confessed to him earlier was worth it.

This show is awesome.
Mar 25, 2012 6:41 PM

Feb 2012
Batman, Lelouch, Conan...the telephone impersonation gambit always works, no questions asked. Once again, it seemed too early to reveal Shinichi.

Great episode -- I have to say, the best episodes so far have been the ones without the Detective Boys.
Jun 9, 2012 4:38 PM

Apr 2011
She's definitely on to him! And it's only 7 episodes in, I have no clue how he's going to get away with this now... He'll probably end up telling her eventually. It's kind of lucky that she was on to him because then he played the game and got the patients name.
Jul 29, 2012 2:33 PM

Apr 2012
I knew the Professor was going to call when Conan walked in without his bow tie.

Pretty good episode, Ran must be rather confused right now.
May 23, 2013 8:57 AM

Nov 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
Great episode -- I have to say, the best episodes so far have been the ones without the Detective Boys.
It's like that the whole time.

An ok episode, nice and short but the criminal was a let down. Was planning this for three years and then caved at the end.
Jul 30, 2013 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
Hakuromatsu said:
Batman, Lelouch, Conan...the telephone impersonation gambit always works, no questions asked. Once again, it seemed too early to reveal Shinichi.

I'm glad Ran isn't some airhead that wouldn't suspect Conan is Shinichi but as you said the dam telephone impersonation gambit always works :(
Mar 24, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 2014
Although I've already watched about 300
episodes earlier, back in my childhood, I
still find them so amusing! ^________^
May 22, 2015 6:45 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Hakuromatsu said:

totally

Feb 7, 2016 9:09 PM

Jan 2015
She found out the truth but then got tricked again :/ LoL Not smart huh probably got that from her father.
Apr 25, 2016 3:37 AM
May 2010
Case File #7
The Intimidation Case of the Monthly Presents

Important Milestone:
  • Ran interrogates Conan about his true identity for the first time.
In the Manga:
  • This case takes place after a later story in the anime (episode 22/23), when Ran was sent a letter about her "detective boyfriend" that triggered her suspicions about Conan.

Yet another title where the translation is awkward. I think this is a smoother translation though compared to episode 2.

Also, I finally get a breather from watching jerks being killed in this show. I love it when the anime breaks from the formula and show us a case that isn't just about revenge-murder. Yes, the culprit's ultimate motive is still revenge, but at least he's not using the lame justification of how the victim deserves it this time (only that his father deserves it...). Okay, maybe not so far from the formula, but this is good enough.

All the build-up of previous episodes hinting at Ran's suspicions have finally climaxed in this showdown. It's fantastic... but at the same time, it shows early on just how careless Conan can be. But since he got shrunk only a few episodes ago, this is still acceptable - not so much when it's repeated down the show. In fact, Ran would continue to find out about his identity several times down the series, and Conan had to find out new, brilliant ways to cover it up. I think my favorite cover-up is the most effective one - by having Shinichi show up in front of Ran at the same time as Conan in one of my favorite story arcs: "The Desperate Revival". I could go on how much I love that arc, particularly because it's Conan's first time returning to his own young adult body (someone else is disguised as Conan), but I'll save it for another time.

I have a love-hate kind of thing going on with Ran finding out about Conan's identity. Yes, it's careless of Conan, but at the same time, not only is it an inevitable revelation, but it also produces great drama (or melodrama, depending on your perspective) between these two. It gets especially emotional in later instances of Ran's suspicions, when Conan becomes even more desperate to revive this relationship with her (hence titled "The Desperate Revival", wink-wink).

But this early into his shrinking, it's merely played off as comedic rather than tragic, and Ran's questioning does get pretty funny, especially when she thinks about confessing about her feelings for Shinichi in front of Conan. Just think of what Ran would say when she finds out that all the time she's spent bathing with Conan together is actually... well, let's hope we won't be seeing "The Murder Case of Kudo Shinichi" any time soon.

I teared up quite a bit by the end of the featured threatening case. A father who lost his son blames it on the surgeon who operated on him, thus sending his son's possessions as monthly presents to the surgeon's son. Creepy, yet tragic, especially when the surgeon's son reminds him of his own child and he breaks down in tears. You just don't get this many emotional cases in the newer episodes. I was gonna deduct half a star for the formula of "yet another revenge case", but if the formula is effective, then what the heck.

Good show.

★★★★★
Jul 4, 2019 12:58 PM
Apr 2016
What an unusual case, no casualties this time, that's honestly good, they're not necessary in every case. Honestly, it was a matter of time until Ran figured out who Conan really is, and so she figured it out this episode.
Jul 10, 2020 4:53 PM

Oct 2015
Gotta feel bad especially knowing full well after reading the manga how long of an ass time he even gets to meet Shinichi in his own body for even a minute
Feb 15, 2021 5:28 AM
Feb 2021
I wish that sometime ran find out the truth instead of Conan hiding it for 999+ episodes. Also, this ep mystery was a good one, even with the strange methods and motives
Jan 14, 2022 10:19 AM

Apr 2011
Enjoying this one more and more. I like how violent it is despite being made for kids. Last episode mother killing her (step) son, this one attempted murder of a kid. But always with a good ending of course (except for those who died).

But I *hate* the opening music! 70s punk?!
Aug 23, 2023 1:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ran is starting to suspect Conan's real identity hmm. Anyway that case was hardcore, trying to kill the surgeon's son because yours died, good thing it didn't happen though
Sep 10, 2023 7:31 AM

Jan 2013
That Conan overhead kick though
Sep 21, 2023 12:52 PM
Sep 2018
this is one of the best episodes I've seen, wow I love early conan
Nov 12, 2023 6:35 PM

Feb 2023
Best episode yet! Glad to see more focus on Conan and less on Kogorou.
Nov 16, 2023 8:47 AM
Oct 2020
This is a sad episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 47 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 23, 2010

11 by Vivid_7 »»
Apr 21, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 704 Discussion

Conan_Kudo - Aug 3, 2013

38 by Elyshion »»
Apr 20, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1120 Discussion

hai_X_is - Apr 13

2 by Estoy_Gordo »»
Apr 19, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 957 Discussion

dbaranyi - Oct 19, 2019

6 by animefan8800 »»
Apr 19, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 700 Discussion

Kaito__Kid - Jun 15, 2013

36 by Elyshion »»
Apr 18, 11:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.