Forum Settings
Forums

Elements of visual media which you place emphasis on for YOUR enjoyment.

New
May 11, 2008 10:05 PM

Feb 2007
Okay, let me try again. This time hopefully I wont take down 10 other awesome threads with me D:

I am not going to make this a poll because then people will attempt to vote without making any sort of comment.
----

For MAL reviews it is split up into "Story", "Character", "Sound", "Art", "Enjoyment" and "Overall". These are some of the most 'basic' elements of film, however I do not believe we are stuck to strictly adhering to these categories. We can either expand upon each category (ex. Story --> Sub-plots or Story-->use of irony or Story-->Tragedies.. etc) or we can create entirely new categories (ex. Originality <--though that could tie in to "story"). Also, for those of you thinking "But in regular old movies and TV there is no 'Art'", you are wrong. Filming techniques, use of sets etc are all part of the "Art" in movies.

So basically, I would like to know where this Community places the most emphasis when watching some form of visual media. Where do you think cut-corners are OK? What do you look for first in a good show? What can't you live without? etc etc.

I'll answer later though I am going to go watch a movies :D Also I will re-read this topic later and fix errors and such.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 11, 2008 10:06 PM
Aug 2007
TL;DR
May 11, 2008 10:15 PM

Aug 2007
Determining my liking for just about anything generally goes something similar to this

1) Enjoyment: Uh. Duh. If I don't like it like hell I'll continue with it.
2) Story: This is a major driving point. I tend to stay away from the stereotypical plotlines unless it has a superior set of the "other elements."
3) Characters: Surprisingly, I find character personalities more important the art itself.
4) Sound and Art: I merged these two together because I feel they're similar in what they do, stimulate the brain just in different fashions.
5) Genre: Genre is the backbone to all, though I don't really have a preference for genre in any visual media. If a funny type becomes serious, good for you, just don't make the transition suck.

inb4 Neverender post
May 11, 2008 10:26 PM

Feb 2007
Lately the key thing that I have been placing emphasize on is Characters and Character Development. An unoriginal story can become exciting if the characters and their development is executed well. In the end though, it all contributes to Enjoyment. Sound/Art is usually not what I focus on in recent anime, since they should all be able to accomplish that. I've also been looking for interesting stories, and avoiding most of the really generic stuff. I like sub-plots, if they contribute to main story in some way and develops the characters. Genre really doesn't matter to me. As long as it has the required elements I mentioned above, hell, I could even watch a harem or ecchi if it gave it the required depth needed to become good.
May 11, 2008 10:37 PM

Dec 2007
story = characters. enjoyment is typically based upon these two. art and sound play absolutely no factor.
May 12, 2008 1:10 AM

Feb 2007
Well I’m writing this in word because MAL is down… so sad.

From what I glanced over before MAL went down I saw a few people who thought Story and Characters were the most important aspects of the stuff they watch. For me, however, I typically gravitate to more artistically directed shows. This isn’t to say “if it has an original arty style I automatically like it,” as that would be quite stupid. I find that more artistic shows tend to focus a lot more on the quality of their script and the sound of the show. Thus, on a whole they are more artistic (beyond the visuals). I have had some very bad experiences with these arty films. I am horrible with names, so forgive me that I completely cannot remember this particular movie’s title (though chances are you’ve never heard of it) but I once watched this French film with a bunch of my other friends. I was insured that it would be “amazing,” and that it would “blow my mind,” according to my one friend. The general concept was the whole re-hashed “what is reality?” concept, though it offered nothing new to say on the subject whatsoever. Instead it’s entire purpose was to attempt to confuse you as much as possible, add in some neat lo-fi funny eccentric vintage things, add some angst, failed love, more failed love, some more nonsense, and some vague reference to how dreams are really neat and weird-o! When the mess finally ended I turned to my friends and confessed that I not impressed by the pointless ‘creativity’. Thus, while I do love art, and even films that are made for the sake of art, I despise it when something I am watching pretends to be more intelligent than it actually is. The director was probably some stuck up cock who thinks he created the weirdest intelligent shit ever. That just bothers me to no end. Being abstract (for me) is fairly easy. I can throw some ideas into a hat and pick them out one by one and glue them all together; I can create art. Whoohoo.

So now that I’ve established I like to be drawn in visually, I shall move towards the characters. For me well developed characters are a must (unless there is a point for having a flat character they really should not be involved). Sorting out all main characters with very basic cliché flaws is an obvious must. Even beyond those more simply written characters, even some of the more “complex” characters tend to have unfounded problems. I enjoy it when characters actually have motive. Personally, I tend to gravitate to shows with a Byronic hero (dark, self-destructive, moody, outcasts—Oh, Swoon!). I know it’s not the most difficult device to pull, but it gets me every time (especially when well done). I am the type of person who really falls hard for characters (in terms of admiration, sympathy and what-not).
It is perhaps because of my attachment to a well developed fictional character that tragedy affects me more than comedy (Though traga-comedies shall forever hold a very special place in my heart). You’d think because I grow so attached to these characters that their death/failure would cause me to be upset with the ending. This is not the case (whoo catharsis hahahaa). Instead I feel that tragedies tend to have a greater impact on me, not just emotionally.
Though I don’t particularly despise comedies either, as a happy ending can make even my icy cold hart warm and fuzzy (see: joke).

Hmm.. well I’m getting into genre but I’m tired as all fuck so goodnight. This is already TL;DR well enough.
May 12, 2008 1:45 AM

Jan 2008
wtfyourface said:
TL;DR

『いつも、君と一緒にいたいんだ。偶然なんかじゃなく。君のことが、好きだから......。』
【アニム】【マンガ】
May 12, 2008 3:01 AM
Jun 2007
I agree about good characters dying, it doesn't make me angry as much as it makes me appreciate the story, and become emotionally attached.

I guess the the one element that is definitely left out is pacing. Some anime have brilliant stories, and yet, because of how unevenly and sporadically paced it is it can become a nightmare too watch without becoming bored or fidgety.

Also, direction. Instead of just basic scenes and the "camera angle" being on equal field with everyone, trying different things and using different angles, "lighting," different kinds of narration etc. I believe TTGL is respected because it is so superb in this area.

May 12, 2008 3:02 AM
Jun 2007
o0RiN0o said:
wtfyourface said:
TL;DR
TL;DR

Why even bother posting at all? If you have nothing too say besides being rude. I don't get it. Why can't you even try?

May 12, 2008 3:04 AM

Jan 2008
1. Enjoyment - This is definitely top priority for me. There's no point in watching if I don't enjoy it. The animation and sound might suck, the story might be cliché and the characters might be as well, but all that really matters is if I enjoy it or not. I use to I force myself to finish series if I hear an anime is good, but nowadays I don't really care. And my drop rate is going up because of that.

2. Characters - It was a tough choice but I have to choose this one over Story. Because even if the story totally sucks, the characters can still make up for it. And even if the story is great, if the characters are shallow it would be boring for me. There are many anime series out there where there is no story, or no progression at all. But I can still enjoy it because the characters are still there, doing what they do best(whatever that may be).

3. Story - Although I gave Characters a higher rank, Story is also very important. I just hate it when I watch an Anime series where they throw a bunch of crap at me, and don't explain it all by the end. There's gotta be a reason for everything(well, not everything but you know what I mean). I hate being confused. I would be better if it was simple, because I can still enjoy it that way. But despite the fact that I can enjoy simple stories, I definitely get better satisfaction from stories with more depth. Just make sure you answer all my questions by the end.

4. Art - There were a few times that I had to drop a series because of its art. But it doesn't happen often. I'm usually not too picky, but there are times when the animation just annoyed the hell out of me.

5. Sound - In my opinion, all the voice acting I hear in anime is great. There may be some that stand out more than others, but overall I've had no problem with it. I guess Sound is of least importance to me, because I've never had a major problem with this category. Music is important of course, but I've never dropped a series because of the music. I do love it when I hear an arrangement of the opening/ending song as the BGM. I can't get enough of it, but it doesn't matter much if they don't do it.
May 12, 2008 10:44 AM

Sep 2007
1. Enjoyment - I need to be able to caught up so much in the episode I'm watching or at least just be mildly caught up to enjoy a show. Stuff like TTGL whose battles had me zoning out many times obviously won't get too high on my list.

2. Story - I love plot twists - and I use this term broadly too because as long as I wasn't expecting it, it's a twist no matter how obvious it was to someone else. I hate cliche and I hate being able to predict what's going to happen later because if that were the case, I don't even need to continue watching.

3. Characters/sound - Character development is always a plus and I love seeing a character grow and step away from being just a backdrop to the main characters. Sound - I'm not referring to seiyuus here since those don't matter much to me at all. It's nice to be able to recognize who's behind a character but it's not necessary and certainly doesn't make or break a show (unless they're absolutely terrible). But I love OSTs and if a show has a brilliant OST to attach to it, it makes the show that more memorable.

4. Art - This has never really bothered me and I don't think there was ever a case in which I dropped a series because of its art.
May 12, 2008 12:26 PM

Mar 2007
First of all, the most important thing to me is how much I enjoyed it. If I don't enjoy watching something, generally I will either lose interest and stop watching it or I will give it a bad rating. I don't pay active attention to things such as character development, music, art, script or things such as that; I am not saying I do not care about those things, it's just I don't generally think about them. I notice those things more subconsciously or whatever, I can tell when a character isn't well developed or if the art isn't great, but it's like I don't realize it as much, and I can not put it to words very well. So basically, if something has good art, good writing, and characters I will enjoy it more than something that doesn't.

When I am watching a movie (or anime, whatever) I generally will try to make myself not think too much, or else I will start trying to predict several outcomes based upon my previous knowedge of the movie or based off of other movies I have watched. I also get annoyed when some movie uses an over-used plot or several chiches (yet again, can't describe very well, but I can tell when something is over-used or whatever) which will make it where I enjoy the movie less.

When it comes to movies, I do tend to favour the hero type. Yes, I know a lot of the hero types are quite generic or whatever (yes, I know I said I don't like chiches much) but for some reason I prefer them. When it comes to the whole 'battle of good vs. evil' thing, I generally will want to hero to beat the villian, even though if I am watching a movie such as Spider-man or whatever I know he will win no matter what happens to him because he is the title character which ruins the fun at times. I don't know why, but I have never liked characters who are evil and do bad things to innocent people that have not done anything to deserve it, I can't stand people who pick on the weak (I get angry when people do that, movies or reality).

I do not know why, but I prefer movies to have a happy ending instead of a tragic ending. I do not like it when some of the characters I like end up dying or having something major happen to mess them up.

(Ok, stopping there... I don't know where I'm going with this, I don't think I have been making any sense what so ever.)
May 12, 2008 2:02 PM
Jun 2007
Zel said:
First of all, the most important thing to me is how much I enjoyed it. If I don't enjoy watching something, generally I will either lose interest and stop watching it or I will give it a bad rating. I don't pay active attention to things such as character development, music, art, script or things such as that; I am not saying I do not care about those things, it's just I don't generally think about them. I notice those things more subconsciously or whatever, I can tell when a character isn't well developed or if the art isn't great, but it's like I don't realize it as much, and I can not put it to words very well. So basically, if something has good art, good writing, and characters I will enjoy it more than something that doesn't.

When I am watching a movie (or anime, whatever) I generally will try to make myself not think too much, or else I will start trying to predict several outcomes based upon my previous knowedge of the movie or based off of other movies I have watched.

Mmmh. I agree. I try too turn my brain off as much as I can and enjoy it all subconsciously just letting myself enjoy it. I hate when I predict things(because as egotistical as this sounds, I'm right a lot of the time) and I only really notice Plot/Audio/Pacing etc. when they are either superb or horrendous. Or also if they hint towards a romantic relationship throughout the series and then never really "choose." That makes me very aware of how non-committal (read:cowardly) they were when writing it.

May 12, 2008 7:00 PM

May 2007
It has to be visually impressive, above all else. Especially in terms of anime, I really find a series worth watching simply because of quality animation. Too many still scenes and skipped scenes (aka 'flash hits' in action anime where a guy slices and thats all you see, no actual movement). Of course, in anime sound also makes a huge impact ... so in my eyes, all aspects, story, character's, animation, sound, need to be there. In terms of things like movies / tv shows, I care less about sound, mainly because theres almost always movement on the screen and even watching people talk can be quite captivating since you can actually see changing emotion in their faces (whereas in anime you simply see the mouth move 95% of the time, hence the need for quality animation). So whenever I go to watch a movie / pick up a new tv series, I look at story / originality over all else.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.