Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 1, 2010 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
Nameo said:
RKC said:
Why is it that every one thinks that the OVA characters are ugly?

In fact the manga and the OVA style are the real art style. The anime art style is just crap.

The problem is, these designs don't let the characters emote nearly as well. They're flat, just like the writing in this OVA. Even with different designs, it still would have worked better had the snappy dialogue and great character interaction. Watching this sort of felt like sleepwalking. Not to mention the terrible animation. I didn't have as much of a problem with the designs as other people, but they lack any sort of personality.

All in all, huge disappointment so far.

Well heres a question:

Which does come first the manga or the anime? The answer is manga.
The OVA is an animated version of the manga.

Plus the manga is the original version of the whole series if you don't like the manga/OVA design you are basically saying that you hate the original story and series.

The animation isn't that bad plus I like how murasaki looks here she is cuter than the anime version.

The anime version of Shinkurou is a huge Emo no spirit what so ever.

Don't get me wrong I already saw the anime, and for me I dont like it, the personalities of the characters are way of, I mean soooo way off.

The characters are so different from the manga

Lin is a psychopathic Bitch and not the loving person in the manga that also protects murasaki

Tamaki is not the ass kicking girl that everyone loves. ( Shes even better than Shinkurou)

Benika is weak and not the cool gunslinging woman that every body knows. (no one has yet beat her in the manga)

Yuuno is not the big boobed tsundere girl that we all know and love.

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!
Oct 9, 2010 12:36 AM

Aug 2010
RKC said:

Plus the manga is the original version of the whole series if you don't like the manga/OVA design you are basically saying that you hate the original story and series.

Terrible reasoning only a manga fan-boy could conjure.

Not liking an art style automatically means you hate everything about the series?

I liked the anime series art style. Was well drawn and animated. It's clear that this OVA didn't have a large budget and so they skimped on the animation. Since it's geared toward manga readers anyway, they probably assumed they wouldn't be too concerned with the animation so much.
Nov 27, 2010 2:24 AM

May 2009
the manga is ok, but brain base done it better.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Nov 30, 2010 7:25 AM

Dec 2008
Nice OVA. I'm interested in the original series now.
Sep 26, 2011 8:56 PM

Nov 2008
I'm glad I noticed it was shit within the first thirty seconds.
Mar 2, 2012 8:11 PM

Jun 2010
Did I start watching Hayate the Combat Butler by mistake? Why has Shinkurou been reduced to a comedy whipping-boy surrounded by women who springs into action when required?

The TV wasn't gold but the atmosphere was sober and sophisticated compared to this, which is merely...typical. Just another light action show with comedy.
Apr 15, 2012 4:51 AM

Sep 2008
I didn't like Murasaki's new character design. Her disheveled hair didn't fit the rich girl archetype she had going.

Episode was ok. The laptop part was the best.
Dec 30, 2012 5:41 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm, my thoughts on the OVA:

• I actually like the characters' designs tbh
  • Dem pool scenes. Dat katanas
  • Lol'd @ Kirihiko-chan
  • Yuuno ftw. This episode captured her ass kicking skills, in a swimsuit
  • "Pipe down, young man". That scene was epic.
  • Indoor racquetball ftw.

:>
Nov 21, 2013 10:51 AM
Oct 2013
The character designs look a lot closer to the manga, and while I'm guessing the people who saw the anime first won't/ don't like the designs, the same could be said about the anime designs for the people that read the manga first. I know personally I couldn't even watch past episode 1 of the anime for a while because the designs felt terrible compared to the manga. the design of this OVA seems like an attempted cross between them, but it really doesn't work for anyone.

Sadly there was more fanservice in this OVA than in either the anime OR the manga, and I guess nobody liked that fact, but seeing as it's not really meant to be that serious of an episode, I can forgive it. 7/10 overall, that diary part was pure gold, and the computer part was nice, but sadly the unneeded fanservice lowered the overall grade.
yep. I Have no idea what I'm doing, but I enjoy my life all the more because of it.
Jan 11, 2014 6:46 PM

May 2012
I can't put my finger on it but is this after, in between or where do we place these events? This looks like just a side story which isn't bad but well I'm not sure where this fits in the whole story!

Either way let's see what the next episode has to offer us!
May 26, 2014 3:45 AM
Dec 2010
I don't care about change in chara design (visuals) that much but series was slightly better in portraying characters behavior imo. This looks just like another harem with wimp main character. Situation is saved by those rare times when he actually gives out few punches here and there but then it goes back to stereotype.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jun 14, 2014 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
only the mc seems 2 care about lins swords
Sep 21, 2014 3:04 AM

Jul 2013
Lin was much better this way and Murasaki was talking and acting a lot like a kid now. The new character design doesn't affect me and the stories were interesting. So far I'm enjoying this a lot more than the series.
Dec 17, 2016 10:22 PM

May 2010
This was quite enjoyable for me. We get to see more into the side characters that we normally don't.

I think Lin is supposed to be Yayoi-san
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 23, 2017 6:26 AM

Feb 2013
Lol, this is too damn different from the TV series.
And it's like Lin was brainwashed or she has two different personalities.
Sep 18, 2018 4:16 PM

Oct 2015
What puzzled me most about the OVA other than the character redesign is that Lin is looking after Murasaki, that was surprising and it seems like she carry swords now.

Wasn't bad ep but damn was it all over the place with the plot.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 18, 2018 4:17 PM

Oct 2015
What puzzled me most about the OVA other than the character redesign is that Lin is looking after Murasaki, that was surprising and it seems like she carry swords now.

Wasn't bad ep but damn was it all over the place with the plot.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» ugly character designs

ange10 - Jun 15, 2010

45 by CosmicDefender »»
Sep 6, 2020 7:33 AM

Poll: » Kure-nai OVA Episode 2 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Dec 16, 2010

32 by lihle808 »»
Sep 18, 2018 4:24 PM

» /

delete_plz - Apr 20, 2010

7 by Rosa_FOEtida »»
May 14, 2010 7:57 AM

» /

delete_plz - May 10, 2010

0 by delete_plz »»
May 10, 2010 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.