Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 10, 2015 3:59 AM

Oct 2008
Interesting premise,very lousy execution.The script felt very disjointed and superficial ,downright inept at times. Story elements were explained either to much or to little to none at all ,nothing in between.
Overall presentation was good ,but everything else :story,characters,progression,ending..... were all very lackluster or rushed.
Dec 28, 2018 4:58 PM
Oct 2018
You know, this could have been a really good series if they did literally everything different to what they actually DID do it.

In all seriousness, this shit would have been much better if they just didn't put the 'superpowers' crap in there, which added absolutely nothing (or nothing that couldn't have been done with half-decent writing)

The writers came really close to creating a unique, mature, interesting story; They picked a fascinating, under-utelised time/place in history, they clearly have a base-level understanding of the politics and significance of the era, and a not-entirely-implausable hook to hang the whole series on ("what if nukes were invented 15 years earlier, and were used to try to unify East Asia?"). And they had the basic skills needed to create a decent anime- the art, pacing, direction, dialog, etc is solid. The characters are kinda bland and generic tbh, but passable. The OP is great, and ED is ok too.

They weren't MISSING anything they needed to make a memorable, interesting story, yet they still managed to turn it into forgettable, generic garbage, by ADDING pointless crap that was never needed. There was no *reason* to put the 'superpower' shit into this series, beyond an 8yo's logic of "but superpowers make EVERYTHING better!!".

Superpowers, magic, supernatural elements, magic-like scifi tech etc is fine, *if its needed for the plot* like in Death Note, or Ajin, or Mushishi or Kill la Kill or Haibane Renmei. But there are far, far too many anime series, like this one, or 'B the Begining' or 'Tanya the Evil'/'Youjo Senki' etc, where they just add superpowers/magic for no discernable reason, and actually go out of their way to make a semi-watchable series *worse*, and turn it into a forgettable car crash.

It's like cooking up a modest-but-passable hamburger, then deciding to dump a bunch of chocolate sauce on it, because who doesn't like chocolate? Chocolate makes EVERYTHING better!!!

No. Chocolate's great, in the right context., but some foods *don't need* chocolate thrown in for no good reason. All you've done is fuck up a half-decent burger.
Apollo18Dec 29, 2018 10:37 PM
Dec 6, 2021 11:55 AM

Aug 2017
Ok ending. I still think the second half is stronger than the first half. Overall:

-How the superhuman abilities originated was never explained
-The memory-wiping agent was pretty random, how Sakurai could fall in his trick is never explained. In fact, if he knows the chinese guy has superpowers that can be used like that then he should be more careful since his power is powerful.
-The first half of this anime has pointless filler.
-Pacing is too fast in the last episode.

+The subject matter is simply too controversial and I'm surprised they allowed this. Even I don't see any similar anime with Japanese troops in China. So wow.
+I loved the artwork, especially for the OP.
+The main cast was generally well written.
+Deaths of important characters in the last episode is always good.

I'll give it a solid 6/10

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 18, 2022 12:00 PM

Aug 2014
After watching all episodes, including all special/ova episodes of Night-Raid:

Night Raid should have been 12 episodes instead of 16 episodes. As many have noted, the "filler" episodes in the first half were really dull. Also, it didnt help that the anime had this episodic setting to it with the filler episodes in the first half, which can make it difficult to watch and ruins the immersion.

From episodes 0-5, I only liked episode 3

From episodes 6-14, these episodes were great

Overall, Night-Raid is an anime that is very interesting due to its historical aspect and very nice interesting characters. However, many episodes of the first half can be a drag, which makes it difficult to keep on watching the anime without dropping it.  But still, Night-Raid is a very underrated anime.
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 12:50 AM
Apr 19, 2023 8:26 PM

Sep 2020
I thought the beginning episodes were great with a fun "super spies" story, kind of like a more realistic Princess Principal (and I use "realistic" verrrrrrry loosely). But then it went all political and boring, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. For the most part, I did like the main characters, but I just didn't care for their personal drama, the Manchuria drama, or the Prophecy goddess stuff. Had it all been simple, episodic spy capers or like Psychic Squad / Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited - Hyoubu, then it could have been great.

I really liked Fuuran though, since she reminded me of Shampoo. I wish she was a team member.

7/10, the 3 specials/ovas were much better and more interesting.
SlammyHammyApr 19, 2023 8:30 PM
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 5 Discussion

ShanaFlame - May 3, 2010

42 by Dywei »»
Jan 29, 5:06 AM

» Japan's War Propaganda and Crimes

guyklc - Apr 12, 2010

38 by Neostorm-X »»
Jul 18, 2022 4:28 PM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 17, 2010

68 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 24, 2022 11:11 AM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - May 31, 2010

26 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 22, 2022 10:32 PM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jun 21, 2010

39 by Nurguburu »»
Dec 6, 2021 10:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.