Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2010 3:46 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 28, 2010 10:41 PM

May 2008
Last episode:

Final thought

xxxholic_wingJun 29, 2010 4:14 AM
Jun 29, 2010 5:19 PM

Apr 2008
xxxholic_wing:
I think you misunderstood some of the finer details, so I've tried to be more thorough on what happened this episode in my post. Hope it helps clear some things up.

Episode 13 Screencaps and Impressions:
http://randomc.net/2010/06/29/senkou-no-night-raid-13-end/
Jun 29, 2010 5:46 PM

May 2008
divinespirit said:
xxxholic_wing:
I think you misunderstood some of the finer details, so I've tried to be more thorough on what happened this episode in my post. Hope it helps clear some things up.

Thanks. It's really hard to understand with subtitles. Hopefully, the sub groups can do the rest of the episodes on time.

Anyway, the ending is a meh because we don't happened to the other characters such as Kazura and Shizune.
Jun 30, 2010 3:34 AM

Dec 2007
Never really got into this show, and was prepared to give it a 6 if it ended decently....which it didn't. Instead we got a pretty damn lackluster episode.
Also I'm not a fan of plot twist abuses during the final episode. 5/10
Jul 11, 2010 2:53 PM

Apr 2009
The plot is awesome. If you know history, that is ;D Rather mature and interesting. I studied the whole thing in junior high and still remember it, though I had to do some slight revision of my knowledge.

Aoi's most likely alive, since there's his music in the end (Can you even call that music? xD) I'm soooo gonna learn the OST violin parts once the OST is out.

I think the ending was absolutely done in Senkou no Night Raid-style. The series sorta appeared out of nowhere right with a bunch of guys messing with history and having some powers. and it ended with lots of questions unanswered. But it's one of those "use your imagination" endings".

Of course, I wish they'd make it 24/26 eps, but they're pretty much done dealing with the historical events. You wouldn't want them to show the world war next, would you? >.<

The main aim of the series was NOT to show adventures of a bunch of amateurs shooting off supernatural powers out of their butts, but once again to revise and analyze the history and give their own point of view on what happened.

Sadly enough, I wasn't able to understand 100% of each ep, because I'm not good with all those military Japanese terms, but it still was enough to leave a feeling of how superb the series is.

Btw, an extra dvd ep will be released that will tell how the group met each other. (Ah, maybe it has already been released, I don't remember, haven't seen it yet).
LeeNoriegaJul 11, 2010 3:05 PM
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Jul 11, 2010 11:51 PM
Apr 2010
xxxholic_wing said:
divinespirit said:
xxxholic_wing:

Thanks. It's really hard to understand with subtitles. Hopefully, the sub groups can do the rest of the episodes on time.

Anyway, the ending is a meh because we don't happened to the other characters such as Kazura and Shizune.

7-10 will probably be out by the time you see this and episode is in translation atm, we also have episode zero translated.
Aug 11, 2010 3:24 AM

Jul 2009
they shud have continued the series!! i really like the animation and story of this show
Aug 11, 2010 4:17 AM

May 2008
snowteddy said:
they shud have continued the series!! i really like the animation and story of this show

I think they'll released an epilogue episode on December in the last volume of DVD.
Aug 13, 2010 10:22 AM
Apr 2010
xxxholic_wing said:
snowteddy said:

I think they'll released an epilogue episode on December in the last volume of DVD.

they announced episode 0, and episode 7.5 as OVA(ish) episodes
Aug 29, 2010 3:58 AM

Jan 2009
Natsume! (屮゚Д゚)屮
And damn it Sakurai! (╬ ಠ益ಠ)
Shi-Shi-Shizune! 。・゚・(ノД`)・゚・。
Damn it, why?! щ(゚Д゚щ) (Well it's a perfectly reasonable choice, but still >.<)

Despite this somewhat disappointing ending, having been as awesome as it's been, I can't help but give it a solid 9/10. (Would've even given it a 10 if not for the long time it took to finish it.)

Now, here's to hoping the two remaining OVA's will be godlike ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Oh, btw. Is it just me, or is the timing from the second part of the OP's line 9 through the middle of line 11 terribly off? Like the karaoke slows down when coming to "kimi wo mamotteku", and then speeds up again when it gets to "naki gao mo" O.o
OosranAug 29, 2010 4:08 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 29, 2010 10:26 AM

Nov 2007
Feels good to finally be able to set this as completed, if nothing else. The storyline was pretty lackluster and never got me interested.

5-6/10.
Aug 29, 2010 11:28 AM

Jun 2009
This was good episode not like the last 12 meh episodes, still waiting for extra/special episodes cuz they are better than the series -.-

Man, finally i can bury this Anime in the Completed-List xD

Edit: And yay my 100th Post

Aug 29, 2010 2:20 PM

Jan 2008
Nice end to a nice series. It really wasn't outstanding but nevertheless it was good to see that there still can be Animes with strong historical background in times of moe-blob. 6/10 for me
Aug 29, 2010 3:15 PM

Jun 2009
Finally, this is in the Completed list.

Good to see the historical aspect displayed throughout this series, though I'm not really familiar with the actual historical timeline it represented. I can appreciate the historic background but it wasn't really anything to brag about for me. Would have liked to see more of their abilities being used and how they every got them in the first place.

6-7/10
Aug 29, 2010 9:30 PM

Oct 2009
he??? so in the end.. Shizune.. erase her memories bout aoi-kun?

and.. is it aoi-kun alive..???

but i quite sure he's alive bcause.. Yukina hear his bad violin play..

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........... 6/10

Aug 29, 2010 10:16 PM

Apr 2010
9/10 in my book, if only because I have a huge interest in 1930s East Asian history.

The sheer number of plot twists that were thrown at us in this episode left me wondering if at one point, A-1 Studios brought in Hideo Kojima as a consultant.

The deaths of Natsume and Takachiho were quite shocking to me, if only because I figured if anyone was going to die here, it would be Kazura. Natsume's death has an extra-strong dose to irony to it as well: after beating the nigh-unbeatable teleporting psychic, he gets offed by the very same soldier he spared in the previous episode from falling off the roof. His death also nicely avoids the ridiculous display of "minor" bullet wounds so prevalent in media: no folks, a shot to the shoulder CAN kill you simply by bleeding out.

Takachiho's end was a shock only because I never imagined that Sakurai himself would actually go out into the field and do the wet work himself. Not to mention that he died without even any last words.

Then there's the biggest shocker of all, that Sakurai's memory-wiping bodyguard actually turned out to be a Chinese agent. This revelation opens up a whole new can of worms: if China has psychic soldiers as well, how many other countries have them? If this guy was able to infiltrate the Japanese military to a point where he was always within striking distance of the boss of a super-secret spy agency, what else has he done?

Another detail I haven't seen anyone talk about is that apparently, both "Iha Kazura" and "Miyoshi Aoi" are fake names. We saw back in an earlier episode, in his flashback, Kazura's grandmother called him "Kishida Takuma." And in this episode, Shizune's final words before she had her memories erased were to bid farewell to "Souichirou."

However, nothing is perfect, and this episode's plot hole was why Kazura/Takuma couldn't simply teleport himself to safety along with both Aoi/Souichirou and the unconscious man. Why? BECAUSE HE DID EXACTLY THAT IN EPISODE 1. Making Aoi stay in the plane as it crashed added needless drama and there was no good reason to make it happen.

Finally the ending. There is something I've been wanting to say: people complain that episode 4 with the cat chase was filler. It was not filler. Many things in episode 4 foreshadow later events:

1. The Japanese soldiers marching freely in Shanghai, a parallel to the final scene of the show.
2. Aoi's line about how Japan doesn't have the right to decide China's future: the first indicator that this show would not excuse Japan's actions in China.
3. The memory-wiping agent spying on Aoi and Kazura.
4. Yukina lying about her reason for going to the Russian cafe: it shows that Sakurai is keeping the team members out of the loop with each other.
5. And finally, Episode 13's final scene with Fuuran yelling at the cat won't make sense without watching Episode 4.

The true filler episode was Episode 5. It was a good episode, but nothing that happened in it was ever referenced again. Hell, Nishio might as well have never existed considering everyone forgot about him after he was lying dead in an alley.

Back to the ending. The show ended pretty much the only way it could. History is prevented from being altered, and the existence of the Sakurai team is pretty much erased, considering that Sakurai himself had his memories wiped and Aoi and Kazura are apparently in hiding somewhere. It was a grim ending, but pretty much everything that happened in the interwar period from 1919-1939 was grim.

Now, there are a couple of loose ends left. One is Takachiho's teleporting bodyguard. Unless Natsume is actually Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, I doubt two elbows to the face would kill a man. This guy is most likely still alive, and with his abilities could still pose a threat. What kind, I don't know, but it doesn't seem wise to leave him to his whims. Second, again, the Chinese memory-wiper. We don't know how deeply he's been able to compromise the Japanese military, and I for one am curious to see what he's up to after erasing Shizune's memories. Third, I just said it: Shizune. I wonder what happened to her. Her farewell to "Souichirou" seems to mean she may have forgotten even him, and I suppose she reverted to being a regular woman in the world.

In spite of the above, I doubt we'll see a sequel. The subject matter is simply too controversial that I don't think A-1 Studios wants to dig into this again, which is a shame because this time period is a gold mine for espionage stories. Not to mention the fact that viewers need to possess a strong knowledge of history and politics of the era to fully appreciate the complex story.

Once again, I reiterate that I give this show a 9/10. It really needed a few more episodes to cut down on the rushed feeling of the finale, as well as to ease viewers into the timeskips more (I didn't realize a few months had passed between episodes 11 and 12 until someone pointed it out to me).

Finally, I can't end this post without raising a massive BROFIST to the fansubbing teams. When 90% of the fansubbing groups quit at the halfway mark, Phantom-Subs and KAW did an incredible job working on this show to the end and that's quite a feat considering the very complicated and obscure dialogue and references this show had (seriously, who the HELL knew who Rampo Edogawa was before watching this series?). Not to mention that the numerous translator notes inserted really helped (the note in the final episode about the Karman Line was a godsend, otherwise I would never have known what Aoi was trying to do). This series was well worth the wait and tantei in particular deserves praise for reassuring the fans that no, the project was not dead and for putting up with the incessant demands of "is it done yet?" Congratulations on the completed project, it's thanks to you that the English-speaking world can enjoy this gem.
Banshee-IVAug 29, 2010 10:22 PM
Aug 30, 2010 12:09 AM
Apr 2010
sorry it took so long everyone but it is finally done here the V2 patch for the mkv file
http://kaworkz.co.cc/ddl/%5BPHT-KAW%5D_Patch_Eps13.rar
this series has been a lot of fun to do. glad everyone is happy with it, or atleast kinda happy with it.
Aug 30, 2010 12:56 AM

Apr 2009
i'm going to have to rewatch this some other time as the monthly delays and its already complicated subject made it hard to fully grasp and internalize the series.. as of now, i'm giving it an 8.. i like this kind of stuff and all it's plus'es are already discussed by AICW from above along with good animation and music.. however, it fails to overwhelm me as a whole..
Aug 30, 2010 1:28 AM

Apr 2010
tantei
Thank you very much =) It was a real pleasure to work with you and watch your translations.

I liked the series very much in every aspect! Waiting for the specials now =)
Aug 30, 2010 9:01 PM

Jun 2009
That was quite the bittersweet albeit lackluster ending. It had alot of boring, slow and otherwise not so good parts but overall this anime had alot of great ideas, a great OP, and some decent characters. While it wasn't the best, I still liked it.
7/10

Oh and they really need to clear up the ending a bit, its not so clear as to what happened.

And as I mentioned before, it was a bit sad to see most of the main characters die, they tried their hardest to save the lives of innocent people but their efforts will have most likely been in vain because, as we all know, the bomb was detonated a few years later.
Aug 31, 2010 1:20 AM

Jan 2009
Jrittmayer said:
a great OP
And a great ED.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 31, 2010 5:02 AM

Nov 2009

Agreed. The fact that the plot was pretty much original (besides being set in historical settings) made this show. As for everything else it might not have been done poorly, but it never got my attention. 7/10

On my part it has been a long time since i saw a martyr, and because of the happiness spewing from most shows a nice dose of death patches me back up. So i'll pretend Aoi died despite obvious evidence. =P
Sep 1, 2010 3:09 AM

Mar 2010
Excellent ending to a show with lackluster beginning: it's always better when show develops like this and not vice versa...

Can't say I have much to criticize about finale: I'd love to know if Aoi & memory wiped prophet chick ever got back together and what happened to Kazura but it's fine the way it is.

I was honestly surprised at the maturity and honesty A1 handled all the historical backdrop behind series: I wasn't expecting this from japanese to be frank.

All around it's definetly a good series and worth a watch - especially for history buffs like me!

7/10
Sep 1, 2010 5:03 AM

Jul 2009
Shizune is one hell of selfish bitch..
6/10
Sep 3, 2010 4:09 PM

May 2008
Bittersweet ending for me, though I loved the entire series. I felt a bit sorry for Yukina, she was left alone like that.
8/10 for me~
Sep 3, 2010 9:00 PM

Nov 2007
Well those "final fights" were a let down. Natsume!! DDD: Damnit, I knew he was gonna die. And by that bastard he saved? Unforgivable. Also I had a feeling Kazura would come around and help Aoi, I just wished there was a fight between them again before that haha.

I did not see it coming that Takachiho would be taken out by glasses!guy :O Good twist, although I was hoping for some kind of fight between him and the rest of the guys, somehow. (Although how you're supposed to fight someone who can paralyse you and put you to sleep, I don't know.) And hat!guy appearing when he did and stopping glasses!guy? Such a great twist.

To summarise, I enjoyed this series although I felt it was trying to be too many things at once and not quite pulling off any of them: historical, thriller/mystery, supernatural. For that reason all the good moments got equalised by some awkward/bad moments, and ultimately I'm going to have to give it a 5/10 overall.
Sep 4, 2010 1:49 PM

Jul 2008
5/10. I never got into the show. I do hope that the last special (there is a 00, 7.5, and 14 right?) sheds some more light on what happened to Aoi, Kazura, and Shizune after the last episode though.
Sep 4, 2010 6:42 PM
Apr 2010
GarLogan78 said:
5/10. I never got into the show. I do hope that the last special (there is a 00, 7.5, and 14 right?) sheds some more light on what happened to Aoi, Kazura, and Shizune after the last episode though.

I would guess only episode 14 would do that
Sep 5, 2010 12:38 AM

Jul 2008
well the day is saved, but what happened to everyone? seems kind of a cliff hanger concerning the characters
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 5, 2010 5:42 AM

Dec 2009
I'll give it a 8 for now .. just cause it made me cry at the end ... stupid wars are stupid .
Sep 5, 2010 8:38 PM

Aug 2008
I give it a 6, but it could go down as far as a 4. At the end of the day, the story never really came together, and I feel like even if I knew all of the nuances of the history, it still wouldn't be captivating because all the characters were hopelessly bland and they never really felt like a team close enough to worry so much for one another and risk themselves.

Then you have the slow first few episodes, cat chasing episode, and the history lesson episode, and I'm left mostly bored with what happened.
Sep 6, 2010 6:09 AM

Aug 2009
I wanted to echo AICW in thanking the sub groups who worked on this and all the episodes. As a consumer of shows that are difficult to translate because of smart, but obscure references, the work of the subgroups that stick with these shows broadens my world (e.g. having now watched this show I am aware that my understanding of Chinese history at the beginning of the 20th century is really inadequate).

The Kazura fan-girl in me wanted more than Yukina's assurance that he's OK, but apart from that...an ending I can live with.
Overthinking Anime a site devoted to anime and analysis. More fun than you might think.
Sep 6, 2010 11:05 AM

May 2007
E Minor said:
It’s like the A-team doing some secret spy mission-y stuff that nobody cares about whatsoever.

Sep 6, 2010 11:53 AM

Oct 2009
This didn't live up to the 1st episode. Kinda meh anime.

6/10
Sep 7, 2010 1:55 PM

May 2010
I thought that this anime was really impressive. I loved the artwork, especially for the OP. Also it was an engaging story with good characterization. I usually prefer short series that don't have enough time to drag, but I wish this was at least 6 episodes longer. I'll give it a solid 6/10 for now (that doesn't sound high but I judge harshly). I can't really accurately judge it though because between episodes I forgot things and hence was confused many times. I should have started it much more recently instead of when it came out, but hey, how could I predict that it would be this hard to translate?
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 15, 2010 3:34 PM

Aug 2009
I really enjoyed this series. Took a while to get completed and I found myself kinda lost at some points. But the characters, art and music really made up for it. Looking forward to seeing the specials! =3 Or maybe even a 2nd season *sooo unlikely*

If this gets dubbed I'll definitely be watching it again. Hopefully I will understand it a bit better =D

10/10
Sep 19, 2010 12:21 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
In the end, this series did not satisfy me. It's unfortunate since I remember when I first heard about this anime, I was excited to see what it was all about. The ending left too many things unexplained. I guess this is just another anime to add to my complete list :/

Merciless said:
Would have liked to see more of their abilities being used and how they every got them in the first place.
Yeah the scenes where the characters used their abilities were some of the best. It's sad that there weren't that many of them.

Edit: 7/10
NaruleachSep 19, 2010 12:26 AM
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 19, 2010 7:02 PM

Dec 2008
This whole series is incredibly bittersweet, especially the ending. I mean, the main driving force behind most of the characters' actions is changing the terrible future seen by the previous prophet. The last episode even ends with a dialog from Yukina saying that she hopes/believes Japan will change its fate.

But we know that it doesn't. Tokyo is still fire-bombed like crazy, the atomic bomb is still dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and it's almost all due to that powerful Japanese nationalism mentioned by Sakurai. It leaves you with a depressing dose of dramatic irony.
Sep 28, 2010 11:44 PM
Apr 2010
Missing closure somewhat.... although what really can you do when your restricted to 12 episodes. None the less I give it a 7 storyline was if-y at some times and the conversation at some times was dry. But some of the fighting scenes and the art work made my rating go up.
Dec 20, 2010 9:07 AM

Oct 2010
the ending brings out lonely feelings.............
Signature Removed
Mar 30, 2011 7:56 AM

Feb 2009
I actually started this show because of Yukina's cutesy but thankfully she didn't remain the only reason to finish it.Not quite good but 7/10 for Yukina's cutesy ^_^

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jan 29, 2012 5:02 PM

Nov 2009
then again im lifting this show from the hidden bunker to finish it :D

It's nice that these are one of those few historically factual, even though this is very fictional(and supernatural), animes out there of the blue(Aoi XD) while the current mainstream audience only matter about moeblobs and fanservice.

Too bad they need to compress too much for just 13 episodes, so there where a lot of plot holes remained unsealed :( yeah i know that there is an epilogue special(w/c i may not watch anymore) released that sealed some of our protagonists' conclusions, yet the chikara staff should have made senkou a bit longer, especially for such potential to be wonderful historically-oriented anime.

Im an avid enthusiast about world history and political events and night raid had done something satisfying in that genre and setting, although in its mediocre and campy nature :) 7/10

Aug 6, 2012 5:27 PM

Nov 2011
Not bad although not as a good as Darker than Black imo.

I guess I'm not a big fan of historical genre series but overall, I thought this series was just so-so.
Sep 1, 2012 7:21 AM

Jul 2010
I finally found ep 11 12 13 and finished this after 2 years (rewatched it a few times over the years while waiting on those eps).
Overall 8/10. The last ep was just too rushed and sad
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Dec 1, 2012 8:53 PM

Jul 2011
I didn't think it was amazing, but I did like it.

I think it's really underrated.
Jan 12, 2013 1:37 AM

Jun 2009
Hmmmm....

It's a nice watch.

6/10. Felt kinda bumpy at times, but definitely deserve a lot more attention.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2013 9:50 AM

Nov 2009
Hrmmmm . . . Well, It was okay I guess. It wasn't spectacular (hoping it would be) but it wasn't bad either. The ending was a tad bit sad, Yukina lost pretty much everyone, Shizune wiped away her memories and Aoi (if alive) is probably now just a wanderer since his sole purpose seemed to get back Shizune which I'm assuming he probably found out that she had no memories of him and just kind of . . . Kept living.

6/10.
May 16, 2014 1:15 AM

Jul 2008
Aoi definitely made it, who else would have fixed that picture.

But ultimately everyone had a bad end and nothing was changed...not a fan of that so it drops to a 6/10 for me. I thought this had a lot going for it.
Aug 28, 2014 7:48 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive twist in the end and quite a nice ending in general I must say for this series, I do wonder what the additional 14th episode has to offer me but in general this series was quite interesting and unique in its own way! 7/10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 5 Discussion

ShanaFlame - May 3, 2010

42 by Dywei »»
Jan 29, 5:06 AM

» Japan's War Propaganda and Crimes

guyklc - Apr 12, 2010

38 by Neostorm-X »»
Jul 18, 2022 4:28 PM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 17, 2010

68 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 24, 2022 11:11 AM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - May 31, 2010

26 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 22, 2022 10:32 PM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jun 21, 2010

39 by Nurguburu »»
Dec 6, 2021 10:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.