Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2007 3:07 PM

Oct 2006
Good episode, though I felt the animation took a hit there... but maybe that's just me.

Chagum's personality is great, and I hope to see more development from him. It was great to see him handle that fight. Though I was expecting him to have an actual training with Balsa first... that blasted preview fooled me...-_-'
There was a tiny bit of action when Balsa stepped in... Though I was expecting more of it and more from that fight too.
Still.. looking at the next episode preview seems there's gonna be a lot of action... and I get the feeling we're gonna see another episode 3... Can't wait ^^
KayrhandrosJun 30, 2007 3:13 PM
Jun 30, 2007 6:10 PM

Jun 2007
it was good ep same as all other previous 11, although still nothing new about this water fiend inside chagum :/
Jul 1, 2007 9:53 AM

Apr 2007
haha, both of the fights end too quickly for my taste but that's the whole point. ~.~
Jul 1, 2007 10:16 AM

Aug 2006
I am loving Chagum more and more each episode... <3

...and Balsa being all "motherly" Awesome ^_^
Jul 1, 2007 12:47 PM

Jun 2007
Well, I actually think that this episode was some filler episode. I don't think it added too much to Chagum's or Balsa's character, the story didn't go further (most probably) It wasn't something worth waiting for this much. I'm looking forward for the next few episodes though.
Jul 3, 2007 12:19 PM

May 2007
Good episode. Chagum is very likeable and defending his parents' honor was very admirable.

Also, it seems like Chagum and Balsa are starting to develop more of a child and guardian type relationship. Balsa is pretty easy-going anyway, which I like about her.

I was a little nervous about them showing up to the festival. I thought when Balsa stepped into the ring that one of the spectators would be someone who would be suspicious of her.

Doesn't look like they raised that much suspicion and they can continue on. Next episode appears to have more action, but as with previous previews (heh), we're probably tricked into believing they'll be actual action scenes.

I still really like this series and it's only been around three months since Balsa took Chagum. Looking forward to what happens next.
Jul 3, 2007 7:05 PM

Jan 2007
Kayrhandros said:
Good episode, though I felt the animation took a hit there... but maybe that's just me.

Chagum's personality is great, and I hope to see more development from him. It was great to see him handle that fight. Though I was expecting him to have an actual training with Balsa first... that blasted preview fooled me...-_-'
There was a tiny bit of action when Balsa stepped in... Though I was expecting more of it and more from that fight too.
Still.. looking at the next episode preview seems there's gonna be a lot of action... and I get the feeling we're gonna see another episode 3... Can't wait ^^

That pretty much sums up what i thought about the episode. I just love the characters in this show, and next episode seems to be what i was hoping for for the past few weeks.
Mar 7, 2008 10:28 PM

Oct 2007
That last little scene with the snake and frog... can you say foreshadowing?

I love shows like this that get rolling to the point where sleep seems less important than the next ep.
Jan 11, 2009 6:13 AM

Jul 2008
Good episode, but yeah, not much was accomplished. We didn't learn anything and the characters didn't learn anything.
Apr 7, 2009 12:40 AM

Feb 2009
Oh it's like having Christmas tree only that u put it in fire!
Jun 14, 2009 2:05 AM

Nov 2007
Nice to see a bit of action from Balsa =], although the ending of the episode suggests a premonition of what is to come, it looked like one of the crowds people that looked up when she started to fight seemed somewhat out of place ... hmmm
Jul 27, 2009 1:57 PM

Jun 2008
I actually thought that chagum was gonna train...oh well, next episode looks great.
Sep 8, 2009 1:38 PM

Nov 2008
Snake sneaking up on the frog at the end. Foreshadowing!?
Sep 16, 2009 5:42 AM

Jul 2009
Ralonzo said:
I love shows like this that get rolling to the point where sleep seems less important than the next ep.

Hilarious! That's exactly how I feel about this show so far. Just gets better and better!
Dec 15, 2009 5:43 PM

May 2009
Frohike said:
Duun duuun duuuuun!

I thought it was a good episode, but I'd like to get on with the main story and chagum's water demon soon. I want to see Jin and the other hunters/assassins too.
Mar 28, 2010 8:43 PM

Sep 2008
I actually liked this ep despite how many people think it was filler-like.

It shows that Chagum still cares about his father despite the fact that he ordered soldiers to capture the boy so he can kill him.

It also added further development to Balsa's relationship with Chagum. He's still just a kid and she's the guardian who has to learn the best way to deal with him. Unfortunately getting involved meant that she attracted the attention of an enemy, but given that it allowed us to see Balsa wipe the floor with that arrogant jerk I certainly won't complain. ^_^

It may have been a short battle, but that's just because Balsa is that good at what she does. >:]

I love a good fight, but I'm also fond of these bonding episodes. It's fun to see Balsa acting like a mother... and father. XD
Jun 3, 2010 12:32 AM
Feb 2008
I honestly thought I'd hate Chagum in the beginning but he's a pretty likeable kid. Which is crazy since alot of royalty/rich young characters are just assholes.
Aug 2, 2010 9:30 AM

Jun 2009
Nice, Balsa covering up for Chagum, but still it was great that Chagum did well here.
Teary moment when they walked home

*What's with the snake and frog?
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 25, 2010 12:36 PM

Sep 2008
thatguy said:
I honestly thought I'd hate Chagum in the beginning but he's a pretty likeable kid. Which is crazy since alot of royalty/rich young characters are just assholes.

Haha, agreed. I was worried Chagum would be some pampered prince, but he's totally different... and he's a great character. :) Royalty of not. He was awesome again in this episode, and it's so refreshing that he's not overly proud, and has the right amount of humbleness.

The Rota guy that Balsa beat looked so spooked when he lost... Bahah, serves 'im right for being so arrogant and being petty - and interfering in a squabble between kids. ._.''

Next episode looks like it'll bring some action, yay! :D I love the episodes as they are now, but more action and fabulous animation is always welcome~ ( I wouldn't mind learning more about the water fiend, too~)
Sep 1, 2010 11:12 PM

May 2010
I was going to explain how the fluid mechanics work in a water wheel and how it obeys the Law of Conservation Energy.

Anyways, it was nice to see development between the two. Balsa reminds me a lot of Kenshin and Chagum is like a mature and improved version of Yahiko.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 1, 2010 2:30 AM

Oct 2010
I also think that the animation fell at this point. It's ok though, the rest enjoyably covers that up.

Watching an episode about festival always brings childhood memories.
Feb 8, 2011 12:18 PM

Feb 2010
Enjoyable episode. It may seems like a filler but my heart still skips a beat when Balsa show up at the festival. The background music enhances the tension and intensity of the bout. I love the scene where Chagum lowers his head guiltily in front of Balsa , an act of acknowledging his mistakes.
Mar 15, 2011 3:55 PM

Apr 2009
Crimsonwill said:
it looked like one of the crowds people that looked up when she started to fight seemed somewhat out of place ... hmmm

That raised my suspicion meter about a notch too. I guess I'll see in the next episodes if he shows up again.

Frohike said:

Yes definitely, I think.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 28, 2011 3:54 AM

Mar 2010
So heartwarming :)
Mar 7, 2012 10:42 AM

Aug 2010
Oh man I was excited when Balsa proposed to fight the father.

I just knew he was going to get his shit kicked in
Aug 17, 2012 8:58 PM

Jul 2011
Haha, he knew that he wouldn't be able to beat Balsa. :D
Oct 17, 2012 10:12 PM

Nov 2011
Well, I'm glad Chagum gave that kid a beating and that kid's father later gets his ass kicked by you-know-who.

Chagum's fight was lame though. I expected more than that.
Stark700Oct 17, 2012 10:43 PM
Mar 2, 2013 5:25 AM

Oct 2008
Balsa's fight was very improbable, even if we assume she used his own strength against him. But whatever.. Nice episode.
Jun 25, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2009
oooh~ that was nice Chagum! ^^
but the last part.. i thought it was going to be long but it's okay .
great episode as usual.
Jun 28, 2013 2:39 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
merle_noir said:
thatguy said:

Haha, agreed. I was worried Chagum would be some pampered prince, but he's totally different... and he's a great character. :) Royalty of not. He was awesome again in this episode, and it's so refreshing that he's not overly proud, and has the right amount of humbleness.

Yeah, I like how this anime subverts the normal rich kid = assholes cliche.

Ralonzo said:

Right? o_o Especially there was that one guy who was laying on the ground, but then sat up and seemed very interested when Balsa through the Rotan guy over her shoulders.

Although Chagum's fight was anti-climatic, it was still interesting how he realized what Balsa meant earlier with the waterwheel example. Physics!
Feb 15, 2014 6:19 PM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm . . . Was that ending with the frog sitting peacefully, unsuspecting the lurking snake about to prey on it supposed to symbolize something? Feel like it was but honestly it could have just been there for funsies.
Jan 14, 2015 11:11 PM

Jan 2013
Another great episode. Loved how they both one the match.
Feb 11, 2015 9:49 AM
Aug 2014
Impressive how even episodes like these can be intense, whereas other animes with much larger stakes can be so boring.
Mar 17, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2013
Balsa's one badass mom. I need her NOW.

That Rotan kid was a douchebag. I'm glad he lost.

Seeing the dad get rekt was satisfying.

That ending with the snake and the frog was deep...

This anime has been great. Even the slice of life episodes are really good!

8/10 for this episode.

8.25/10 for this series so far.

I have a feeling that the slice of life episodes are going to be coming to an end pretty soon. Another episode 3 is imminent...

Apr 29, 2015 1:08 PM

Nov 2010
Clairseana said:
Ralonzo said:

Hilarious! That&#039;s exactly how I feel about this show so far. Just gets better and better!

Ishikatsu said:
So heartwarming :)
May 9, 2015 9:20 AM

Jul 2014
I thought that that guy's character design was kinda JoJoesque, then he went all hora hora hora, lol.
Sep 24, 2015 4:33 PM

Mar 2012
tingy said:

Ralonzo said:

Right? o_o Especially there was that one guy who was laying on the ground, but then sat up and seemed very interested when Balsa through the Rotan guy over her shoulders.

I noticed there was someone who stood out from the crowd as well :o I guess that and the snake & frog scene means that they've been found out.
May 7, 2017 8:42 AM

Oct 2012
Wow, Balsa is way too OP
Nerf please! xD

RIP Frog
I get a feeling someone from Court saw them
After seeing the preview.. It doesn't matter anymore xD
"Signature removed"
Sep 25, 2018 3:47 PM

Sep 2011
This one was really cool. The rota boy did nothing wrong at first, and I don't know how hard things are for him back on his country, but he certainly had an attitude problem, and got full of himself so I was glad when Chagum taught him a lesson, and even gladder when Balsa stepped in to prevent Chagum's efforts from being in vain. This was dangerous, and by the preview of the next episode, this little confront in the festival did put them in evidence, but at least it wasn't someone from the court that saw them.
Aug 21, 2019 12:01 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah they're really bad at keeping a low profile... back to fighting and escaping from assassins, I guess.
Aug 25, 2019 6:35 AM

May 2015
RIP KERMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 1, 2019 7:53 PM

Mar 2016
It's still funny to me that random people wandering the desert wearing similar color clothing managed to trick an entire search party, yet neither Balsa nor Chagum have changed their clothes at all and use their names openly and loudly. But I guess going to the festival is just too much, and of course that one suspicious looking dude in the audience is going to make a stink.

Too much Chagum ass kissing lately. I didn't hate the Rota kid, considering the other kids were quick to talk shit too.
Jan 20, 2021 9:54 PM

Jul 2017
Another episode of just exhilarating world-building and subtle character development. This show's really mastered its craft really nicely, especially considering how Kenji Kamiyama continues to somehow deliver exceptionally well with his original, anime-only episodes.

This episode focused on the summer festival, where Chagum encountered a Rota boy called Yarsam who was kind of acting like an asshole despite his obvious strength and skill when it comes to hand to hand combat (especially in the sport where it feels like watching sumo, as it involves a ring where you need to be able to take your opponent down by slamming them to the ground or by pushing them out of the ring), and somehow ended up in a challenge set for the summer festival.

I love how Balsa handled this tricky situation in particular as a parent, without coming off as contradicting in her nature. Balsa tells Chagum to not attend the festival due to the fact that festivals attract a larger than normal crowd, and some members in the crowd could come from other places where they would be able to recognize either of them, which would compromise their safe haven and have them involved with having to run away or fight again.

But after she showed him a clever example of how water is able to keep the mill running despite the water's lack of weight and Chagum's observant and smart nature to figure out how to combat against Yarsam while finally being able to chop a log down despite his weak stature, he ran off to fight off a bully and prove his point, especially since he felt disrespected by him and wanted to act like a man there.

Instead of Balsa getting mad at Chagum, she acknowledges to herself that if she were in his place, she would have done the same thing Chagum did. What made Balsa even better for me is how she reacted while Chagum fight to protect his family's honor, showing that justice wouldn't just let her go away without having Yarsam apologize to Chagum for what he has said and done.

She even fought Yarsam's father, the winner of a fighting tournament there in battle as parents would settle it in the ring, which she did in quite some style. Even the father knew how much he was out of his league in comparison to her strength and will, so apologies happened and everyone moved on. It showcases how honorable Balsa is as a person and as family to Chagum, letting him fight his personal battles while supporting him at the same time to upheld justice if required in such a natural and collected manner.
Apr 8, 2022 9:33 PM

Jul 2016
i had been appreciating the visuals in each episode so the drop in animation here glared bright as day, but eh. even with a drop, it's still so much better than other anime at its norm.
Jan 25, 2023 1:59 AM

Sep 2016
On the one hand, what Chagum did was stupid for their situation. On the other hand, it was nice seeing him acting more like a normal child.
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Apr 2016
They both pretended very little that they were suppose to hide their identities during this episode, but the development of between Chagum and Balsa made this episode a very good one, their bond and relationship keeps strengthening meanwhile Chagum himself grows into the situation his living.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 17, 2007

66 by Safrichh »»
Nov 28, 2023 8:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.