Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Jan 5, 2016 10:48 AM

Dec 2015
I enjoyed this season and my experience watching this anime.
Jan 15, 2016 4:10 AM
Jan 2013
I've watched Bakemonogatari a few years ago, but years back my MAL had not yet existed. So I'm here now to add my post to a discussion of what a great anime this is, and that this season is only the start of an entire great franchise (my favorite is Monogatari Series Season 2) ^w^

Favorite char from the series: Shinobu Oshino ~
Jan 29, 2016 7:55 PM

Apr 2009
I started this back when it aired but stopped when I found out the last three episodes were going to be released later. I figured I'd watch it all when the last episodes came out.

Fast forward six or seven years later and I can finally set it to complete!

I largely feel the same way I did all that time ago. I really enjoyed the characters and their interactions with Arararagi. Some of it I suppose was repetitive, but I'm the kind of person who can listen to the same song over and over. So witty laughs, teasing of Araragi, and the haunting otherworldly elements of the show kept me entertained the whole way through. It was dialogue heavy, but good enough to stand on that alone if it had to. It helped the moments of action, which were handled excellently and always accentuated with great music, stand out that much more.

Sometimes I liked the quirkiness of the direction, at other times it felt like someone with an extreme case of ADD was in charge of directing and animating the show. Someone should tell Shaft sometimes less is more.

8/10

Good enough that I'll try to check out the other shows in less than six or seven years.
Jun 11, 2016 6:35 PM

Aug 2014
"You should be happy. You get to ride my myaster's naughty body straight to Heaven."

What exactly does this quote mean?
Jul 13, 2016 11:26 AM

Oct 2014
MangaKing said:
"You should be happy. You get to ride my myaster's naughty body straight to Heaven."

What exactly does this quote mean?

That he should be happy to be embraced by her as he dies.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jul 27, 2016 1:19 PM

Apr 2013
Damn when Shinobu appeard I got shivers, she kicked Black Hanekawa's ass for good :o
Great show, very unique and different from other anime in story and artstyle. 9/10
Aug 7, 2016 1:09 AM

Apr 2014
hmm....8/10

This anime Have it's up and down... But I found my favorite characters which is Mayoi and Sengoku... Well Hachikugi gotta be over the top for me. next to her is Shinobu.

Well...Shaft....really brings out a character in a totally different view. makes talking seems not that boring.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Aug 17, 2016 3:29 PM

Mar 2016
Interesting show overall. The first few episodes were confusing, but I understood it better as I watched more. Senjougahara's dialogues were confusing too, but that's what made her interesting. I know the creator was trying to be different, but I found some of the arc boring due to the slow pacing and randomness. The last arc was really good and interesting though. And the ending was not too bad. I give this anime a 6/10 overall. Maybe if there was also horror to it I would have enjoyed it a lot more and would have given it a higher score. Unique anime with great art nonetheless.
Aug 24, 2016 4:40 PM
Aug 2015
The characters are so fucking boring and even kind of shallow; there's no story whatsoever (WAITED 15 EPISODES FOR AT LEAST SOMETHING TO HAPPEN), just stupid jokes and references that get boring after 22 minutes of listening to two characters chatting and 30 seconds of interesting things happening (visually, at least). That's essentially what this series is: "Chatting: the anime". What the fuck Shaft

Nothing about its world is explained. It's basically our world, except there's talk about spirits and shit just to make you forget about the fact that it's a harem. Instead we get a few panty shots of an 11 year old, an 18 year old fantasizing about a middle schooler (but it's not pedophilia because it is I R O N I C) AAAAAAND an underage lesbian who wants to give her body to MC who is legally an adult just for the lulz? Wow. 10/10
archaaiAug 24, 2016 4:46 PM
Jan 16, 2017 2:04 AM
Jan 2017
Hey! I was told to watch this series and I enjoyed the anime so much! Bakamonogatari was such an unusual anime; first of its kind I watched that made me think. But I have a question the first episode was quite s mixture of events. Where the hell did aragari get bit by the vampire??! Is there a series she's in?!? Is it the one after Bake??? I'm so obsessed with this! Can someone point me in the right direction please? ): I would like to see if there were prior events like what slide they showed in episode 15 of aragari fighting a vampire. Where was that!??? That's something I would like to see! Please and thank you :)
Jan 31, 2017 3:02 PM

Apr 2015
An Amazing Ending To An Amazing Anime!!
Apr 7, 2017 11:38 AM

Nov 2016
Disappointed. Decided to stick with it instead of dropping it to see if it got better but it didn't. Shaft was my favourite studio because of Madoka Magica but they no longer are.

I found this show to have nice animation and I really enjoyed the op and ed songs. However, it was incredibly inconsistent and frustratingly boring. 5/10 Probably won't be watching the rest of the series.
Apr 11, 2017 7:00 AM

Jun 2016
Ara-aragi kun really is a dense mothertrucker, isn't he? Pretty much satisfying the trope for a harem MC. Unlike the other character tropes in the show, however, his behaviour isn't justified at all - it's just a fact that he's stubborn as well as stupid. Well, in the end it was Hanekawa who solved her own problem, albeit temporarily again - whether she will be able to reconcile with her feelings for Raragi will be a seen in the sequels, I presume.

It felt like a 9/10 up till episode 11, which was the peak. 12-15 felt cringeworthy at best, so my score drops to 8/10. Up to episode 11 it was definitely an enjoyable experience, especially because the unique art style and the monsterization of personal issues reminded me a lot of Mononoke, which I absolutely loved.
Apr 28, 2017 1:09 PM

Dec 2014
Hanekawa is just so boring. She ruined the story for me. I hate her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2017 12:12 AM
May 2012
i like how shinobu doesn't say anything. and oshino is a bro.
well, on to the next one!
Jul 8, 2017 12:16 AM

Jul 2012
I love how Oshino didn't really tell him he was leaving but instead just yelled at him from the roof and waved goodbye, but then no one realized that it was his way of saying goodbye until he actually left.

So many questions left to be answered about him, what happened during Golden Week, and especially what exactly is Araragi's relationship with Shinobu. But I'll be reading Kizumonogatari next, so I'll have the latter of those questions answered. Really looking forward to it 😊

I'm so glad I decided to pick this back up after 3 years. The series has already cracked my top 15 and could possibly slip into my top 10 by the end (I want to say it's likely, but I don't want expectations to run too high 😋).

Now onto Kizumonogatari :D
Jul 9, 2017 7:50 PM

Jun 2016
Araragi should have died, he chose the worst girl in the anime. Senjougahara is shit as hell, I use to like tsundere girls but she really pisses me off.
Aug 27, 2017 9:47 PM

May 2014
Boy oh boy does Araragi have some complicated relationships.

Loved this finale to Tsubasa Cat. I might not be right on the mark, but what I got from it is the “pressure of being put on a pedestal”. Hanekawa and Araragi could never, ever be together simply because they idealize each other too much; Hanekawa “saved” Araragi and he was her knight in shining armour to distract her from the rejection complex she seems to have.

You can’t be with someone if you can’t be yourself around them, but I think that’s why Gahara and Araragi work and will endure.
There’s no angst or lust you find in so many other romance stories and it’s not this idealized over-romanticized relationship. It’s just there in the background. It feels natural and nothing’s really changed or got awkward just because they’re dating. Probably because they ‘get’ each other and accept each other for their flaws. They’re not a “chemistry” couple, but I think that’s the whole point.

Like, Senjou’s not my favorite girl but hats off to her bc no one has been as honest as she has with Araragi and with herself despite apparently being a Tsundere. Nadeko, Kanbaru and especially Hanekawa don’t really seem to have gotten to the route of their problems. And like this arc showed, just removing the source doesn’t fix the feelings that created it.

Overall, I have no idea how to feel about this series so far other than the fact that I’m intrigued.
I don’t even really know if it’s good lmao
But I think I’m gonna stick around a bit longer to find out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2017 3:36 PM

Aug 2014
Very fun to watch, but I was expecting it to be much deeper. I hope it gets better. 7/10 for Bake.
Sep 16, 2017 11:54 AM

Jun 2016
OH GOD. I can't believe I finally finished this show after being in my On Hold for months, and little did I know I've been missing out on a great show. I feel empty. Wtf.

I'll sincerely this masterpiece of a show so fucking much. Holy shit. Shoutout to all the seiyuu in this show (except Sengoku's huehue) especially my baby Hiroshi Kamiya. Hihi. :)

Alright, let's talk about the last episode. I loved how they started and ended this show with Hanekawa and Ararararagi. And holy shit when shiro neko licked his neck then it started bleeding like shit what the fuck oh my god. Hahaha.

Hanekawa lying down on Araragi's body. Hory shet that was hot.

So, Shinobu's just hiding in Araragi's shadow after all this time? Wyd, Shinobu? Hehe. Heck, she saved Araragi again. Domo, Shinobu-chan. You're amazing.

UGH. Hitagi and Araragi holding hands while walking. Kyaaaa. My feeeeels! We need a kiss c'mon! Hehe. A-a-and them two on a bike. FUUUUUUCK! Thanks for the feels. Kyaaaa! THEY LOOK SO GOOD TOGETHER. FUCK I'M SO FUCKING IN LOVE WITH THESE TWO. GAAAH.

WHAT A GREAT FUCKING SHOW, FOLKS! THANKS, SHAFT! GAAAH.

10 OVER FUCKING 10.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 25, 2017 10:48 PM

Jan 2016
Good show, great characters, better than what i expected.

7/10
Sep 28, 2017 12:33 PM

May 2016
I don't know how can people enjoy this show it's really strange I can't enjoy it I find it pretty average and mediocre I had really high expectations for this show yet it wasn't good enough
one of the things that I mostly hate was the atmosphere it was always empty no one around
And the animation as well, this my opinion those who loved this must be pervs for sure ( Φ ω Φ ) nya xD
Oct 30, 2017 10:07 AM
Jan 2015
Fuck you people if you did'nt liked this episode . It was perfect .

I don't know what were you expecting in the first place .
Oct 30, 2017 10:58 AM

Nov 2016
Finished my rewatch. Still think that episode 12 should have been the last episode and the last 3 episodes still dragged like a bitch BUT I liked the series more in general now that I knew what to expect. I'll up my score from a 5 to a 7 and I'll watch the rest of the series.
Nov 2, 2017 7:40 PM
Oct 2015
Too boring for me, fan service didnt do shit for me either.

6/10 six for cute girls
Nov 11, 2017 9:38 AM

Oct 2017
Great a-nya-me. I loved that artsy and unique style.

9/10
Dec 27, 2017 11:47 PM

Dec 2016
Thank the lord for Shinobu and the fact that she saved Araragi the Savage's life! Also I hope we see Araragi and Senjougahara's second date because I can already tell that shit will be great!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 31, 2017 10:33 PM

Sep 2013
Really not sure why this series is so popular. It was ok, but tedious and monotonous. The repetitive background music about drove me crazy. Meh!

6/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 16, 2018 10:22 PM

May 2015
Talon184 said:
Really not sure why this series is so popular. It was ok, but tedious and monotonous. The repetitive background music about drove me crazy. Meh!

6/10

It well liked for the exact reasons that you didn't like it.

Jan 19, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2016
Kittens-kun said:
Talon184 said:

6/10

It well liked for the exact reasons that you didn't like it.

haha same here, i'd love to watch more
Apr 20, 2018 12:37 PM

Mar 2014
Watching this after Nekomonogatari & Kizumonogatari to follow the chronological order.
I do like the Araragi x Senjougahara couple, it's not a relationship which takes over the anime. The comedy was also good, especially the parts when Araragi discovers that the girls were the ones sending postal cards to the radio. Also the date between Senjougahara & Araragi.
Shinobu is still my favorite character since Kizu now.

9/10
May 27, 2018 11:39 PM
Dec 2017
I just loved this series, it's so deep. It makes me think and wonder after every episode. The show started off very slow, but after ep.4 the show was filled with drama. TBH I thought everything about the show improved after ep.4 (art/ story/ dialogue). I'm going to wait until I've seen more episodes of the series before I pick a favorite character. Although I must say Oshino is very underrated and underappreciated.

I wonder where the author gonna take the story next. It hinted that Shinobu and Araragi have a very deep relationship. It even seems deeper than Araragi and Senjougahara relationship. Next up is Nisemonogatari! Cant wait

I give Bakemonogatari a solid 9/10.
Aug 11, 2018 6:17 PM

May 2017
Good ending!

Things i liked

Artistic approach - This anime definitely had a very unique art style which was very refreshing i must say.

Animation - Some people say that this anime is inconsistent with its animation because of how much stills they used in some episodes.. I agree, the stills are definitely there, but it never really threw me off or anything. Every episode is filled with a ton of dialouge which can sometimes take away the attention of the animation for me.

The animation was absolutely stellar when it needed to be. The change in lightning and shading mixed with the beautiful high frame cuts really elevated the tension! The action scenes were just glorious! Some of the best fight animation i have ever seen.

Characters - Theres not 1 character i disliked. I really enjoyed ararararagi-kun as the protagonist! I also enjoyed the presents of Oshino, i started paying a lot more attention everytime he appeared. Loved the shift in tone when he started talking about the oddities. Shinobu is also really interesting!

Things i didn't enjoy

Blank screens and real life pictures - I get it. The blank screens in between the dialogue is a 'stylistic approach' to make it less boring. But what is it with these real life pictures? They feel so out of place it doesnt make any sense that they are there. Its like watching a movie and all of the sudden characters turn into 2D anime figures.

A little bit too much dialouge - I wouldn't say that i felt bored while watching 2 people sitting next to each other talking straight for 20minutes. But its just that i love this world, and the concept with oddities so much, that i wished that they would have focused more on actual story telling and world building, instead of 20 minutes of talking with nothing happening at all besides the dialouge. Another reason why i enjoyed episode 1, 12, 14 and 15 so much. For me those episodes felt like actual story progession and not just little character arcs with characters that otherwise have no real impact on the show. I heard that this season is basically just a setup for future seasons but i feel like i have to judge this season on its own atleast for now untill i have seen more of this world and its characters.

Soundtrack - Ok i feel bad for listing the soundtrack on the list of things i didn't enjoy.. This anime has had some amazing ost's and some cool openings/eds. Its not really the music itself that i dislike, its more like the placement of the music and the overusage of the songs. They seriously used the same 2 ost's every single freaking episode. Just google the ost Jinchiku or Suteki Meppou and you will know what i mean lol. These 2 ost's literally appeared almost every episode. Looking at the full soundtrack im kind of surprised that this anime is supposed to have 64 OST's lol..

Thats it! i know no one is gonna read this shit but i sometimes just have to write out my feelings about animes so my mind is cleared of thoughts :)

7/10 for me. The amazing concept combined with the cool character cast mixed with amazing animation and style made this anime an enjoyable ride for me. I can not rate it higher though, because i felt like this anime was lacking world building and actual story progession. It was more like mini arc based instead of an actual story story. I enjoyed the story between Senjougahara and ararararagi-kun. I will definitely continue watching the Monogatari series! I hope they switch up some stuff in future seasons and maybe focus more on the world/story etc.

Aug 28, 2018 10:41 AM

May 2018
Wow, great ending with Araragi's "almost" complete harem! I look forward to Nisemonogatari ...
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Nov 30, 2018 11:20 AM

Aug 2017
It's over. Shinobu saved Araragi and defeated the cat.

Overall, it was a good show. I like how tried to be unique. There's some minor issues but Bake is well-written. 7/10 for the anime.

I'm going to watch Kizumonogatari.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 12, 2018 8:52 PM
Apr 2017
Hanekawa (both versions) has such a great screen presence. Loved the last few episodes.
Dec 18, 2018 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
Best Arc was Kanbaru"s, then Senjougahara's, then Hanakawa's with Hachikuji close, and Nadeko's being the clear worst.

Episode 12 was the only episode that was great. This episode and last two episodes of Kanbaru's and the last episode of Senjougahara's were good. All of Nadeko's episodes were bad and the episodes of Hanekawa's arc excluding this one and episode 12 were average. First episode of Hachikugi's arc was bad, the rest were decent. Holistically, the show isn't focused or consistent enough and thus the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

If the whole show was a buildup to episode 12 and Kanbaru was the main side character, this show would have been much better. Hanekawa could also make a few appearances but no love triangles. Hachikuji and Nadeko could be edited out, Nadeko more than Hachikuji.

Overall, I'm giving this a 5/10.
removed-userDec 18, 2018 4:52 PM
Dec 26, 2018 11:28 PM

Feb 2017
My order for favourite arcs, from best to worst: Crab (including episode 12 here), Monkey, Snake, Snail, Cat.
Feb 17, 2019 12:41 PM

May 2015
Interesting series with some arcs better than the others. But with how much it relies on character development I didn't particularly like these characters.

While Senjougahara's arc was one of the best, afterwards she confirmed to be the worst character, maybe she'll get better later, but as of now, I just can't stand her. With Kanbaru I had the opposite impression, the story was kinda meh but she herself is hilarious. Snail was annoying and the most boring, Snake was ok. Hanekawa is very likeable and cute as the cat.
As for Araragi, he's fine but I'm not quite impressed with him yet.

Well, I'll continue watching, it was still very enjoyable overall.
Mar 17, 2019 2:53 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty sure I would have enjoyed this last arc less if I hadn't already seen Nekomonogatari, and the whole relationship between Araragi, Shinobu & Oshino wouldn't have had the same meaning without the Kizumonogatari movies.

I don't quite understand the original airing order of these, but personally glad I watched in chronological story order
Mar 30, 2019 6:49 PM
Aug 2018
Can anyone tell me what the meaning of the intro is?
Especially the part where we see a naked Hanekawa running away from hands that molest her.

I get that she is kinda perverted, like most of the characters in this anime. But what is that about?
Apr 3, 2019 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty good ending, Black Hanekawa "killing herself" was pretty cliche, together with the Shinobu appearing from inside his shadow bit, but great series nonetheless. 9/10
Apr 26, 2019 8:15 PM
Apr 2016
A truly lofty episode, wrapped up the entire season in a magnificent way. So, the vampire-loli-girl was in his shadow, damn. I feel sad that Oshino left, he was awesome... Well, I'm excited to watch the next season!
Apr 28, 2019 7:33 PM

Mar 2019
Well it took a bit to get into this show and understand the style of it all and the story. But in the end I really quite enjoyed it and the later episodes. Looking forward to starting the sequel.
May 12, 2019 10:08 AM

Dec 2018
WTF lick the neck and the blood gushed out from his neck.

Welp Shinobu save the day. She's like some sort of guardian to Araragi. Well to be frank Araragi don't have to shout 'help' to her. Cause her life is connected to him. That's only works if she value her life though. What I don't get is why did the cat want's Araragi shadow to appear. Probaly cuz some part of the cat is Hanekawa and she know that Shinobu will appear in the shadow. But how did Hanekawa know? Plotholes.

Meme give Araragi a final test to solve the problem by himself, so that he can become an independent man. It's weird though he sees Araragi as a friend not as a student. Gonna miss him, probably he'll appear in the sequel.

Well seems this season is about introduction and character development. Still, there's so many plotholes and probably will be answered in the prequel or the sequel. Nonetheless a great wrap up for this season.

He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 1, 2019 12:05 PM

Sep 2017
Decent conclusion to the show. I wonder why Shinobu was hiding in his shadow like that. I hope we eventually get answers to that along with what Araragi always means when he references Hanekawa saving his life. Won't the Meddlecat just return because the root of her stress wasn't actually resolved, was it? Are these just details that will be left open to interpretation? Regardless of these nitpicks, I enjoyed the show a fair amount. Interested to see where it goes from here for that was a pretty conclusive ending.

GytanzoJun 29, 2019 7:53 PM
Jun 20, 2019 12:27 PM
Mar 2019
Hearing that Oshino Meme left the city at the end was more sad than anything else (for me) LOL
RoneCraft

On-hold is another way for a completionist to say DROPPED

Jul 20, 2019 5:24 PM

Nov 2017

^Really like Hanekawa's emotional breakdown. Not that I enjoy seeing a pretty anime woman cry, but there's a lot of emotion and I can feel what she's feeling.

I guess you can say, the cat's out the bag! A dramatic and exhilarating episode, Shinobu's backfwips and spin kick were pretty bad ass. A fella enjoyed the animation for it: nice and lively!

Ahhh, the homie Oshino left! But with all of that, is the end of Bake and Nise is next!
Aug 12, 2019 12:11 PM
Nov 2015
Kish0 said:
WTF lick the neck and the blood gushed out from his neck.

Welp Shinobu save the day. She's like some sort of guardian to Araragi. Well to be frank Araragi don't have to shout 'help' to her. Cause her life is connected to him. That's only works if she value her life though. What I don't get is why did the cat want's Araragi shadow to appear. Probaly cuz some part of the cat is Hanekawa and she know that Shinobu will appear in the shadow. But how did Hanekawa know? Plotholes.

Meme give Araragi a final test to solve the problem by himself, so that he can become an independent man. It's weird though he sees Araragi as a friend not as a student. Gonna miss him, probably he'll appear in the sequel.

Well seems this season is about introduction and character development. Still, there's so many plotholes and probably will be answered in the prequel or the sequel. Nonetheless a great wrap up for this season.

the cat is a manifestation of Hanekawa true desires so it will act based on her, and since the cat knew about shinobu, it decided to act.
Nov 21, 2019 4:19 AM
Aug 2019
jungsae said:
Pretty much the one harem i don't disagree with. Rararagi-kun's the babest, can't blame the hoes.

You anticipated my thoughts.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Yesterday, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Yesterday, 5:48 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.