Forum Settings
Forums
New
How do you treat your anime watching status?
SUPER SECRET, not even all my closest friends/family know i watch
6.3%
I don't talk about it, but some people know
35.4%
I'll talk about it sometimes, and tell people i like it
44.6%
Flaunt the fact that i'm a fan, and let anyone and everyone know
13.7%
585 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jul 26, 2008 12:39 AM

Sep 2007
My family knows because I marathon it like crazy @_@ LOL
Jul 26, 2008 1:17 AM
Jul 2008
Im not shy about the fact I watch anime, but I don't flaunt it. Once you hit a certain age you realize that what others think about you really doesn't matter so you don't mind telling people you enjoy watching it. High School is a whole other story though.
Jul 26, 2008 5:55 AM

Mar 2008
Not many people know I watch anime, and I hardly discuss it with anyone.
Probably only close friends and family know, and of course, other people who also enjoy anime.
Jul 26, 2008 9:52 AM

Jun 2008
My answer is somewhere between 3 and 4; I pretty much flaunt it at school for the sake of being different (I don't look anything like a stereotypical anime fan, and I'm tall so people tend to assume I play basketball >_>), but in the rest of the world I'd only bring it up if the situation calls for it.
Jul 26, 2008 10:29 AM

Jul 2008
lmao depends on the people i tended not to flaunt it at school but i was caught reading manga under the table every now and then XD
Jul 27, 2008 6:28 PM

May 2008
My sister knows I watch it (she does as well) and my parents would, too, if they knew what anime was. It probably just looks like any ol' cartoon you'd see on TV, to them.
I only have . . . 2-3 friends that know I watch anime, and that's because they watch it too. When it comes to everyone else, I don't bring it up unless they bring it up first. Then I won't even let on how much I know about anime - I play it down like "Oh, I've only seen a little here and there" unless it turns out they've watched anime before, too.

It's not like I'm ashamed of watching anime, really. I just realize that many people don't know what it is and probably don't appreciate it as much as I do. I don't want to look silly going on a rant about how good such and such is when they don't understand a word I'm saying, you see. :3
What's more, sometimes I'll wear one of my Death Note T-shirts. Sometimes people will ask me what Death Note is, and I'll explain it to them - but sometimes I'll get comments from people who actually know what Death Note is. I love it. :]
Jul 28, 2008 2:46 AM

Sep 2007
Secret anime fan ? Not sure that i can class myself as one. My family(sis and bros) know that i watch anime they think it's weird and childish, but who cares what they think...they are family haha. Though my dad and mum think it's cartoons and on the rare occasions they catch me watching it they go like WTF.

Some of my friends know that i watch anime, but then the rest don't know since they will be like WTF are you watching man ? Though to be honest i wouldn’t be bothered telling them that i watch anime. since they have no idea what it is and will probably think i’m watching stuff like teletubbies haha. Though if it was brought up i would say i watch it and now that i think about it all my friends think i watch cartoons thanks to my msn display pics :|
Do you know of ‘The Magnificent Steiner’ ? The main character was normally a weak, sickly man. When he was in an emergency, someone would come and help him. A secret friend. But, the main character never realised...... that his secret friend....Was himself.

Grimmer = Legend
Jul 28, 2008 5:55 PM

Jul 2008
i kind of am. my best friend doesn't watch anime almost at all. but we both really enjoy Death Note and he knows that i watch anime. i would usually show him some, but usually when i do it's mostly just awesome scenes with some kind of sex reference. sex jokes are fun! :P

Jul 28, 2008 7:03 PM

Mar 2008
i tell most people i know that i am a anime fan
Jul 28, 2008 8:32 PM

Jul 2008
People who know me all know I watch anime, heck I even get them to watch it, cause there's always some type of genre they will enjoy. Most of my friends (with a few exception, as you can't get through to them lol) didn't use to watch anime, and now some of them actively watch it, and some of them watch it occasionally due to my reccomendations.
Jul 28, 2008 8:55 PM

Sep 2007
"I'll talk about it sometimes, and tell people i like it"
As Anime doesn't consume my life I see no reason why I should be ashamed of it. Most everyone I know is quite aware that I'm a fan. There is no way you would ever find me feeling ashamed over something I enjoy unless it was an obsession that is self destructive. It's something I like a lot and therefore is a part of me. That would be like being ashamed of who I am.

People generally are more disgusted by insecurity than innocent personal interests. And those who would negatively judge you for it would be petty and no more than a waste of flesh.
Jul 30, 2008 7:18 PM

Apr 2008
my friends kno and people who ask kno... though out of all my friends i easily watch the most... kinda sad haha
Jul 30, 2008 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
I used to be but I dont care anymore. everyone knows who know me now... but I dont flaunt it. usually. *shiftyeyes*
Jul 30, 2008 9:44 PM

May 2008
Sadly, yes I am a closet otaku. Only half my family, and my best friend knows about my secret obsession. Plus, they don't even get the details; they just know I watch anime and read manga. I don't even know why I hide it anymore.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Jul 30, 2008 9:55 PM

Jul 2008
ya, i guess i am. nobody really knows about it. it's not like i'm trying to hide anything. it just, they've never asked, and i've never been compelled to tell people about it.
....huh?
Jul 30, 2008 11:12 PM

May 2008
I lock my door and close all blinds when watching Anime.
Jul 30, 2008 11:44 PM

Jul 2008
I don't stand on a street corner professing my love for anime, no.
Jul 31, 2008 3:01 AM

May 2008
people close to me know( parents and best friends)...and i tell ppl that i like anime and stuff

I would nvr deny hating anime if someone asks however :P

i hate watching anime with ppl...i like to watch it alone

Jul 31, 2008 4:04 AM

Apr 2008
I nver dny watching anime, i talk with it to some of my frinds that also watch some. Thougt they don't watch as much as me. Now and then i recomend a serie to my friends that doesn't watch but anime doesn't realy have that good a name.
In Oda we trust.

Jul 31, 2008 4:22 AM

Sep 2007
If they ask, i'll admit it.
If they dont..well its their loss :D
Hang in there friends! Anime keeps becoming more and more accepted by society..you cant stop it!
Jul 31, 2008 5:29 AM

Feb 2008
I dunno how you guys can watch anime in front of people... if anybody comes near me when I'm watching I tab out faster than the blink of an eye.

I love anime, but it's embarrassing at the same time. Guilty pleasure? :/
Jul 31, 2008 5:38 AM

Dec 2007
I don't talk about it, but my friends knows I watch anime.
Jul 31, 2008 1:17 PM

Jul 2008
Ill occasionally tell my friends about an anime I watched, but most of the time, the subject doesn't really become much of a talking point in my conversations since almost all of my friends are not that interested in anime. So basically most of my friends know I like and watch anime but they don't know the extent of it.
Jul 31, 2008 1:47 PM

Jan 2008
Good friends: yes. Acquaintances: no.
Jul 31, 2008 3:00 PM

Mar 2008
Eh, I think the problem with me is that one of my siblings, and one I idolized throughout most of the childhood, hated anime. Dx So, of course, I did too. Y'know, until I actually watched an episode. And then I was addicted. Haha. Some of my family/good frends know that I like anime, but it's not something I flaunt that much.
Jul 31, 2008 3:14 PM
Jul 2008
most of the people wouldnt care anyway, but if the topic comes to it im always pleased to talk about it.
edit:
Lemon_Jelly said:
Ill occasionally tell my friends about an anime I watched, but most of the time, the subject doesn't really become much of a talking point in my conversations since almost all of my friends are not that interested in anime. So basically most of my friends know I like and watch anime but they don't know the extent of it.

same here , i already given up on telling friends how cool a scene was or something coz like stated above..most of the time they dont care at all ^^
no
Aug 2, 2008 3:00 PM

Jul 2008
i voted "I'll talk about it sometimes, and tell people i like it"
but i am super secret about me watching hentai except to my closest freind who is a hentai freak as well hehehe lol
1:18 et vivus et fui mortuus et ecce sum vivens in saecula saeculorum et habeo claves mortis et inferni
Aug 2, 2008 3:35 PM

Mar 2008
i voted "...talk about it sometimes.....", cuz most the people i know watch anime, and we talk about certain series......we even shop for anime/manga together. almost everyone in my family knows I watch anime....and they don't seem to care (i got my younger sister to watch anime now).
Aug 3, 2008 12:04 PM

Apr 2008
My family and friends know that I watch anime and my sister even watches it with me =)
Aug 3, 2008 3:00 PM

Sep 2007
I'll talk about it sometimes, and tell people i like it
why not?
Aug 3, 2008 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
o_O I don't talk about it since I pretty much don't talk about anything unless people bring it up anyway, but everyone I know knows I watch anime. I'm the opposite I think, in a sense, I don't join online anime groups unless my friends tell me to because I'm afraid of getting flamed by otakus for knowing so little about anime.
Aug 3, 2008 4:49 PM

Aug 2007
I only talk about anime with my sister (we watch it together and we have loads to say about everything!)
Sometimes I put myself into the conversation when I hear others talking about anime, but I only bring anime up myself very rarely, and only in front of people whom I know are already anime-watchers.
Aug 3, 2008 6:10 PM

Feb 2008
My friends know about it. Though I don't talk to them about it, since they really don't care or watch anime. They make fun of me all the time because I watch anime, but I don't give a damn. My family doesn't know about it. At least I don't think they do, hah.

So ye I'm somewhat 'secret anime watcher'
Aug 3, 2008 8:06 PM

Jul 2008
I don't really openly talk about it unless it's a close friend who shares the interest. If someone were to speak to me about it, or ask me if I was I wouldn't deny it. I just don't go around openly flaunting off my nerdom, since I somehow manage to have more interests. Blasphemy, I know.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Aug 3, 2008 8:16 PM

Nov 2007
i tell a few people, i don't really see a point in hiding it or anything. i even watch it with my mom or stepdad sometimes. some of my friends know i watch it, and a few of them like anime a little bit, but they don't really care that much about it.
gabberstagAug 3, 2008 8:21 PM
Aug 4, 2008 12:51 PM

Apr 2008
I don't hide, but then I also don't just go around saying I'm into it.

Aug 4, 2008 6:03 PM

Mar 2008
Its a secret , only my closest friends knows.

How I find out if someone watches anime or not:

:3
Aug 4, 2008 6:28 PM

Jun 2007
Hmm, my roommates know that I watch anime (they have seen some of it, like Spirited Away and had no idea what was going on or how you could get into it). One of them is actually into it so that is cool. Other than that I don't really flaunt it or anything, so I suppose I'm semi-secret.
Aug 6, 2008 1:57 AM

Mar 2008
SUPER SECRET, not even all my closest friends/family know i watch (your vote)

15 3.89%

Im a minority :<
Aug 6, 2008 2:39 AM

May 2008
Ok...I am really a bad person because I do tell certain people (e.g my friends) but if a popular person came up to me I would totally deny it ...=(, they really scare me and I dont want them to turn everyone against me....

Aug 6, 2008 3:31 AM

Jun 2008
I haven't really spoken about it to my friends since I know for a fact none of them watch it, they're all into MTV and reality tv...but my immediate family knows I'm into it and so do my cousins. My cousin actually watches naruto and bleach, and she's like in her 20's. I've tried getting her into some other stuff that she might like but watching naruto and bleach are more like time killers for her instead of an actual hobby.
Aug 6, 2008 5:47 AM

May 2008
all my friends know, and flaunt the fact, but I'm a bit more secretive around my family. I think they know but I don't watch it in front of them! But other than my family I dont care who knows!

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Aug 6, 2008 10:59 AM

Jul 2008
I am not very secret about it, but if you ask me if I like anime I will tell you. I am also not a big fan of people who flaunt it around.
Aug 6, 2008 11:07 AM

Jul 2008
I don't have any reason to tell about it everyone, but most of my friends know
Aug 6, 2008 11:41 AM
May 2008
Pretty much everyone knows I'm a fan of both manga and anime and I don't see why I should be ashamed. My love of both manga and anime will result in me becoming a translator of Japanese, ultimately so I can read and watch more. The adults who are childish are the ones who try to mock others for what they like. Anyone who dares say to me anime and manga are for kids will get the usual: would you let your kids watch/read Berserk/Gantz? I wield the sword of Gantz in one hand, the sword of Berserk in the other in that argument!

People learn very quickly not to question manga/anime to me, because they will get a load of academic responses from me, stuff about cultural values and all that.
You would have to be blind to walk into my room and think I wasn't a fan. The first thing you will see (depending on whether you look left or right) is the original signed artwork of my friend's beautiful manga/anime character, or more obviously you would see my manga shelf. I am NOT an otaku, I probably am obsessive about manga, but my passions go off into other areas like writing, certain films or reading other stuff for example. I may be obsessive at times but I don't go around spreading sexual diseases, I don't kill people in a drug frenzy and I don't beat people up in a drunk state. On the other hand I am perfectly aware Luffy or Naruto aren't real. Of course I realise the benefits of becoming bilingual, and I'm not just interested in Japan for the manga.

I am not afraid to admit I am a fan, but I wil try not to mention it unless I am asked, I would try to let it enter the conversation, or as an icebreaker. I am proud of my love of manga and anime, because it helped me rise above the mediocrity I used to call friends. My immature friends of the time tried to stop me being into it (and American comics too) , meaning I was alone for a while. I am glad I kept doing what i loved, it meant I was able to stand up to group pressure. Quite simply I don't give a crap what people think, and nor should anyone else here.
Aug 6, 2008 12:05 PM

Mar 2008
Most of my friends know that i like anime.
I even have a friend that likes anime as much as i do ^-^
And i don't really care what people think.
Aug 6, 2008 8:34 PM

Jul 2008
My myspace is prettied up with anime stuff, so my friends know, but since they're not fans it never comes up. :(
And my family knows. My mom sometimes comments, "Are you watching those weird shows again?" and my sister actually likes one show. So it's cool with them. Some people like stargazing, some people like birdwatching, some people like anime. Don't be ashamed of a hobby if there's nothing wrong with it!
Aug 6, 2008 8:52 PM

Aug 2007
Shouldn't this thread be in Anime Discussion?
Aug 6, 2008 9:55 PM

Aug 2008
Anyone that knows me knows I like anime, heck, anyone that knows me and likes anime comes to me to get it. Gets kinda annoying after a while, but hey. I don't go around explicitly telling anyone and everyone I can that I like it, but one look at my computer tells them that fact anyways.
Aug 7, 2008 2:56 AM

Oct 2007
every one know i am the otaku one ...the maniacal anime fan...yeah...heh....:3
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.