3It was OK
2.2%
2Disliked it
0.6%
1Hated it
0.4%
Average 4.9
697 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 24, 2010 10:43 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow! (picks jaw up off of floor...)

Art House Cinema special.

More of the loose ends have come together.

But just how will it end?
Jun 24, 2010 11:02 AM

Nov 2008
Awesome episode. Pretty much everything has been explained now, I can't wait to see the finale. The opening now makes a bit more sense, with the identical rooms changing colors. I really liked the integration of live action+animation in this episode. It's been used in other episodes too, but not so much as in this one (at least, not that I've noticed, anyway).
Jun 24, 2010 6:07 PM

Aug 2009
(First of all, this needs to be ranked higher)

Now then, holy crap. This is the Yuasa we know and love. Not that the other ones weren't Yuasa enough or anything but this is like art house mode. I love whenever an anime combines real footage with the animation and this was no exception. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

-And thus, everything comes to a head (See? Now FUNimation's title change makes sense right?). We have the truth that Watashi has been living an unfulfilled life in an endless series of 4.5 tatami mats. Everything from the previous episodes was brought up here (except for Akashi-san strangely enough though I think they're saving her from the last episode). Amazing how even in a parallel universe, Ozu always manages to screw over Watashi somehow.

-We also finally got an explanation to that future Watashi moment a few episodes back which had been really confusing me for a while.

Best anime of Spring 2010. Period. It needs more love.

(I bet Quarkboy finally had an easier job today since there were quite a few silent moments :D)
Jun 24, 2010 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
Unless Watashi meets the one in episode 5 again (there are infinitely many, after all), I think there's a little continuity error. In episode 5, the bearded Watashi wore a backpack when he came out of the wall but in this one he clearly has none.
Jun 24, 2010 7:05 PM
Dec 2009
garfield15 said:

(I bet Quarkboy finally had an easier job today since there were quite a few silent moments :D)

Not at all...

It's normal speaking conversation that's easy: This episode was 99% Narration which consists of high-speed complex sentences.

I'd much rather any character except for Watashi speak as much as possible :)
Jun 24, 2010 7:27 PM

Mar 2008
AHR said:
In episode 5, the bearded Watashi wore a backpack when he came out of the wall but in this one he clearly has none.

Good point. Didn't realise that one..

Over all, it's simply mind-blowing to see how everything's finally coming together.
I feel like past 10 weeks of my life's just been compressed to one episode, just like the last bit of ending credit sequence.
Jun 24, 2010 9:04 PM

Feb 2009
AHR said:
Unless Watashi meets the one in episode 5 again (there are infinitely many, after all), I think there's a little continuity error. In episode 5, the bearded Watashi wore a backpack when he came out of the wall but in this one he clearly has none.

It's most likely an error, but there's always a possibility of another Watashi traversing the parallel worlds.

Looking forward to seeing how all of this is wrapped up.
Jun 24, 2010 9:24 PM
May 2010
I'll be writing more on this, but I have to go to school first. This is the cognizance of the nadir that Watashi has fallen into. This is an extremely heavy and allusive episode, but one can only get back up when one realizes he's fallen so far down.
Jun 24, 2010 10:33 PM

Apr 2010
Wow! The bearded guy from before makes sense now! I can't believe it came together so well. Next episode will be a blast.
Jun 25, 2010 1:11 AM

Jun 2010
Oh wow this episode is ummm damn. Its weird we all kinda expected this, but I wasnt expecting it to be displayed in such a powerful way. I dont know how but I was in suspense nearly the entire episode, I was expecting a human to come out.....if it had been Ozu I wouldve fallen of my chair.

It all makes sense as far as the story goes, but still I got the overall message he said, they werent perfect but still looked like fun lives.

So Akashi was the one left out, savior perhaps?
Jun 25, 2010 2:32 AM

Jul 2009
This was amazing. I seriously don't want this wonderful anime to end :(

edit: I like how all 10 people who have rated this episode thus far have given it a 5/5 :)

Apparently people who wouldn't like this episode probably stopped watching a long time ago :>

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Jun 25, 2010 2:40 AM

Nov 2009
Damn this anime is so good!

I will definately rewatch this in the near future and I've never rewatched any anime before.
Jun 25, 2010 5:46 AM
May 2010
This episode was depressing, sad, pensive, and tragic. But it's a testament to the greatness of Yuasa that he makes all of this interesting fare even if it is practically just a story of one this episode.

My elaborated thoughts (and about five hours of writing) can be read here. I hope you can read and comment!
Jun 25, 2010 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
While I love this show, I'm glad it's coming to an end (and eagerly anticipating the final episode). There's nothing I hate to see more than a great show turn sour with time. I think Masaaki Yuasa timed this very well. Every episode has been great.
Jun 25, 2010 6:43 AM

Aug 2009
DrIdiot said:
While I love this show, I'm glad it's coming to an end (and eagerly anticipating the final episode). There's nothing I hate to see more than a great show turn sour with time. I think Masaaki Yuasa timed this very well. Every episode has been great.

Seconded.
Jun 25, 2010 6:50 AM

Nov 2007
Wonderful episode. Now I'm waiting for a grand finale. I loved how everything came together in the end. And honestly at first I didn't even knew it was Watashi's future self in the earlier episode. Now everything makes sense and I also understand where the giant amount of money for the proxy war came from. Very clever, Yuasa!

And give Akashi-san at last her Mochiguman back, Watashi. Seriously.
Jun 25, 2010 7:35 AM
May 2010
I think it was clearly established that it wasn't his future self, just another one of his incarnations. This incarnation was both blessed and cursed with the knowledge that it's not possibility that matters but entelechy: it is not the realm of potentiality but the realm of reality and action that really matters.

AHR made a wonderful point, though - in the fifth episode Watashi was clearly wearing a backpack - where is that backpack now, or is that just a slight incongruity?
Jun 25, 2010 9:17 AM

Nov 2007
Awesome. I knew this episode would be coming along but I was still blown away by the execution. Good looking out by AHR as well, I would guess that it's a little mistake as well. Series like this are why I watch anime.
Jun 25, 2010 11:42 AM

May 2008
Omg, this episode was awsome. I loved the whole concept about being trapped in those parallel worlds. Everything is came together, and I'm really looking forward to how will it end. Surely with the "opportunity which is always dangling before his eyes"

Also there was a reference to Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis somewhere around the beginning~
Jun 25, 2010 1:15 PM
Jun 2008
LOVED IT! why can't there be more anime like this?

garfield15 said:
(First of all, this needs to be ranked higher)

Best anime of Spring 2010. Period. It needs more love.

Just checked my rating, can you believe I was giving this an 8? Anyway - corrected.

garfield15 said:
DrIdiot said:

Seconded.

Thirded! It's weird but even though I love this show, I wouldn't want it to be any longer. Shows of this length tend to be better anyway.

I haven't been reading the comments every week on this one so I don't know if you've all discussed this already but I've been wondering about some stuff.

Back in the 1st episode was the thing about Akashi ending up with either Watashi or Ozu just one of many things that happened in one of many existences or was it part of the bigger story?

Is Master really a god or was that never true? Wait is Master the one who created this whole thing?

Also what about Ozu? Is he really screwing over Watashi or is he actually trying to help him in some weird way (I'm assuming that he's not a normal person and knows about the parallel existence thing).

Can't wait for this one on DVD. Move over Violence Jack, my collection just got classy!
Jun 25, 2010 3:14 PM

Jul 2009
This is without a doubt the best show on at the moment. Shame it doesn't get more love.
Jun 25, 2010 3:58 PM
Dec 2007
garfield15 said:
This is the Yuasa we know and love.

I think it sums up my thoughts exactly. Now the main thing is : how will he conclude it in the next episode ? With an epic Akashi moment I expect, but you never know.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 25, 2010 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
Brilliant, just brilliant. The use of colours was great and I especially love the use of photography and real film.
Just about entirely performed by Asanume Shintarou this episode. He is absolutely fantastic in this.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jun 25, 2010 5:24 PM

Jun 2010
After the final episode im easily gonna marathon this again to see how different it impacts. Besides this Spring Season was very well, this being the great hidden gem buried under more popular titles like Durarara and Angel Beats, Summer will barely live up to this. Im so happy I noticed this anime with the second episode just cause I like the ED (which is an amazingly hypnotic song).
Jun 25, 2010 5:42 PM

Aug 2009
SkyFade said:
After the final episode im easily gonna marathon this again to see how different it impacts

Good idea. It wont be for a while, but I shall probably be doing that
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jun 25, 2010 11:19 PM

Nov 2009
I have not donated enough room in my brain to remember all the details of this show. That being said i was partially confused going through this episode, and I feel like i am missing what makes this show awesome. Yet at the same time I am unsure if i could live through a marathon of it. Looking forward to a good ending nevertheless.

@Skyfade: Yeah, this summer season coming up won't be able to compare at all to this one.
Jun 25, 2010 11:29 PM

Nov 2007
Yesssssss. Looking forward to the conclusion next week!
Jun 26, 2010 2:05 AM
May 2010
Other than Tatami Galaxy, there's probably Arakawa, Rainbow, or House of Five Leaves. But IMO the best among them is this. What do you guys think of the parallels I got with the events in the episode and the Jungian collective unconscious?

If you haven't seen it yet, here are my Episode 10 Reflections and Analyses. I hope you can all give it a whirl. Some of it is far-fetched, but Yuasa never mentions anything without a reason.
Jun 26, 2010 5:46 PM

Jun 2010
Still what was the book he was looking for? I doubt it was the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or was it the one from episode 8 I believe with Akashi?
Jun 27, 2010 3:23 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Wow, how depressing.

I can't wait to see how it's going to end though.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jun 27, 2010 7:43 AM
Dec 2009
SkyFade said:
Still what was the book he was looking for? I doubt it was the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or was it the one from episode 8 I believe with Akashi?

The book he was looking for is book of detective stories set in the Edo period:
http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Casebook-Inspector-Hanshichi-Detective/dp/0824831004

I used the "official" english translation of the title. It's considered the first real work of Japanese detective story fiction and the author was very much a fan of sherlock holmes.
Jun 27, 2010 11:35 AM
May 2010
@Quarkboy

It isn't connected with Akashi because if I remember correctly he was searching for it in the current timeline. Although your information is correct ...
Jun 27, 2010 2:12 PM

Apr 2009
Wow. I mean, wow. I'm so glad I started watching this. This is THE Spring 2010 anime, period.

Can't wait for the last episode. >.<

And Quarkboy, if I understood correctly and you're the one responsible for translating, I only have one thing to say to you. And that is: dude, respect. This show is insane and I don't even want to begin to imagine what you have to do to get this done xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 27, 2010 2:36 PM

Aug 2009
Cenedess said:

And Quarkboy, if I understood correctly and you're the one responsible for translating, I only have one thing to say to you. And that is: dude, respect. This show is insane and I don't even want to begin to imagine what you have to do to get this done xD

Everytime I see Watashi go on one of those like 3 minute long rants, I shake my head and mutter "Jesus QB..."
Jun 27, 2010 4:43 PM
Jun 2008
So he is destroying the life of himself in the other world??
I thought his life is ruined by himself every episode.Now he don't blame other nor himself,but now he blame the stinking room for his past fault??Alright,There is nothing else to blame in the last episode.I wonder who the heck he gonna blame this time.
Actually there is a few more thing to blame,,,,,
MorningGloryJun 27, 2010 4:57 PM
Jun 27, 2010 8:57 PM
Sep 2007
Wow, amazing, stylish episode. I hope the finale lives up to this episode.
Jun 27, 2010 9:49 PM

Feb 2008
This episode was something else. Something I really didn't see coming at all.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 28, 2010 2:42 AM
Dec 2009
Cenedess said:
Wow. I mean, wow. I'm so glad I started watching this. This is THE Spring 2010 anime, period.

Can't wait for the last episode. >.<

Spend a lot more time on it than I do on Heroman, that's what :)
Jun 28, 2010 2:50 AM
Jun 2008
garfield15 said:
Cenedess said:

Everytime I see Watashi go on one of those like 3 minute long rants, I shake my head and mutter "Jesus QB..."

I download and watch in Quicktime so I can slow it down to 3/4 speed. It's a shame I didn't think of that say...10 weeks ago. Dammit blu_d!

MorningGlory said:
So he is destroying the life of himself in the other world??
I thought his life is ruined by himself every episode.Now he don't blame other nor himself,but now he blame the stinking room for his past fault??Alright,There is nothing else to blame in the last episode.I wonder who the heck he gonna blame this time.
Actually there is a few more thing to blame,,,,,

Akashi!!!!

No better yet, Akashi will blame him & we'll find out this is actually all her story and then...2ND SEASON!!!

physics223 said:
Other than Tatami Galaxy, there's probably Arakawa, Rainbow, or House of Five Leaves. But IMO the best among them is this.

Is it me or are those other shows dipping a bit towards the end whereas Tatami Galaxy just gets better and better. Those others are still good though, this season has been great (Summer is gonna suck T_T)
Jun 28, 2010 3:13 AM
Jun 2008
blu_d said:

physics223 said:
Other than Tatami Galaxy, there's probably Arakawa, Rainbow, or House of Five Leaves. But IMO the best among them is this.

Is it me or are those other shows dipping a bit towards the end whereas Tatami Galaxy just gets better and better. Those others are still good though, this season has been great (Summer is gonna suck T_T)

Actually the only problem with Tatami Galaxy is that the comedy is getting lame for me around episode 4

I notice that Ozu cannot enter the room while Watashi can go out and touch the Cake.Ozu even place the cake Outside the room and I remember the Cake appear in many episode also.Does anyone got any clue about this ??Ozu is feeding Watashi in every arch?but why?
MorningGloryJun 28, 2010 8:12 AM
Jun 28, 2010 8:18 AM
May 2010
I don't want to jinx this show, but Tatami Galaxy has been consistent throughout its run unlike the other series.
Jun 28, 2010 8:36 AM
Jun 2008
Well everyone has different taste ^^
since you put 10/10 on Bakemonogatari you might as well watch Katanagatari.
I am a fanatic fan of Katanagatari ^^
Jun 28, 2010 9:29 AM

Mar 2010
Really enjoyed the episode

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 30, 2010 5:36 AM
May 2010
I think I figured out how Watashi will escape the Tatami Galaxy, although this is just a hunch.

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2010/06/escaping-the-tatami-galaxy-a-fearless-forecast/

It will be because of the moths, and that's my fearless forecast. (I may be very wrong, though.)
Jul 3, 2010 1:53 PM

Aug 2009
Haha crazy beard dude has him! Brilliant! 5/5
Jul 4, 2010 8:28 PM

Jul 2008
I was going to give this anime a seven and conclude the show just to conclude it. This episode seriously just fucked that. I have never felt this emotion before. So much confusion made sense with such a simple explanation. This might just be Yuasa's best work ever....
Jul 6, 2010 9:03 AM

Feb 2010
Great episode :)
This series continues to amaze me. Sadly only one episode left :/
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 22, 2010 12:37 AM
Jul 2009
LOL In the middle of watching this episode but did he just allude to Kafka?
Jul 24, 2010 8:12 AM

Mar 2008
Ohhhh parallel universes. I see! Explains the ending animation too. Interesting wonder how it'll end

Edit: Ohhh Tatami Galaxy! And explains little overlaps like the already eaten cake beforehand
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2010 4:18 PM

Feb 2008
My very favorite episode!
Full of psychological discussion and kind of clusterfuck on the story itself!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ESSWHY - Apr 22, 2010

331 by danger-_- »»
Oct 10, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.