Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 105 106 [107]
Post New Reply
Sep 10, 11:36 AM

Yarub said:
Thanakos said:
What is practical collectivism? If it's something like cooperating based on mutual interests then Rand already supports that.
Not only that, but it also resembles something like a business relationship. A boss in an office has total command of the premises and the employees that work in his office. Rand, by her definition of collectivism, shows the boss to be "unable to conceive of individual rights, etc..", even though he's probably the only person in the whole company holding the shit together.

What Rand portrays is the actual tribal notion of collectivism; there's a guy on top who judges the matter of his underlings (no matter how qualified he is, he just has to be strong) and calls it a violation for that person to be in-charge of other people, simply because it opposes her idea of absolute individualism. While she is right in this scenario, it just doesn't add up in modern ones.

What you're saying doesn't add up in context. Rand is one of the 'champions' of Capitalism, if you will, and she constantly likes to extol the virtues of business and business-people.

The professional businessman is the field agent of the army whose lieutenant-commander-in-chief is the scientist. The businessman carries scientific discoveries from laboratory of the inventor to industrial plants, and transforms them into material products that fill men's physical needs and expand the comfort of men's existence. By creating a mass market, he makes these products available to every income level of society. By using machines, he increases the productivity of human labor, thus raising labor's economic rewards. By organizing human effort into productive enterprises, he creates employment for men of countless professions. He is the great liberator who, in the short span of a century and a half, has released men from bondage to their physical needs, has released them from the terrible drudgery of an eighteen-hour workday of manual labor for their barest subsistence, has released them from famines, from pestilences, from the stagnant hopelessness and terror in which most of mankind had lived in all the pre-capitalist centuries -- and in which most of it still lives, in non-capitalist countries.

- For the New Intellectual, Ayn Rand

Maybe you're misinterpreting her, but either way it doesn't matter because even if she said what you think she said, her belief system simply doesn't add up on top of that so we can consider a momentary slip or whatever you like.

Kurt_Irving said:

Do I see you crying again? huh, mini mouse? xD I could cry about on Frankenstein and look like you (yeah! you little man), but I got some really cool s**t to read instead. Btw, I think someone should write a novel about your weeping upon Frankenstein, I sure would love that drama.

Cool shit like Franskenstein? Please stop tormenting yourself like this, you're already hanging from a thin thread. I'd like for you to experience the pleasure of reading a truly good book, that might perhaps change your life, before you die, so in all seriousness, please read ''How to Win Friends and Influence People''. K thnx bye

Sep 10, 8:43 PM

Thanakos said:
Cool shit like Franskenstein? Please stop tormenting yourself like this, you're already hanging from a thin thread. I'd like for you to experience the pleasure of reading a truly good book, that might perhaps change your life, before you die, so in all seriousness, please read ''How to Win Friends and Influence People''. K thnx bye

I didn't say Frankenstein was the cool shit I read very recently, you assuume I did aaaand did Frankenstein do something to hurt your feelings again? awww! you poor baby! *pats your back in extreme delight*

Oh! and the thing about Frankenstein is that you can't take it. Let me say it again as I poke your "manly Tarzan pecs", can't... take it. :P

Btw, I'd like to thank you for recently pointing out the fact that there is an early 20s dude with baby balls. xD
Modified by Kurt_Irving, Sep 10, 8:46 PM

Sep 16, 9:34 AM

I'm currently reading Walter Wager's 58 minutes for the 3rd time.

Sep 16, 4:13 PM

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha the 19th light novel and this series is so brilliant. I love all the characters.

Sep 18, 5:49 AM

Imagine actually reading books in 2019...

Pages (107) « First ... « 105 106 [107]