Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 94 95 [96] 97 98 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jul 11, 2015 6:38 PM

Started "Lost in Translation" by Eva Hoffman. Its Hoffman's memoir about her life in postwar Poland and her immigration to the United States at the age of 13. I have not read much of the book yet, but at where I am right now I'm very enchanted by the vivd images she is presenting of her town and apartment and family. This is one book I'm having great joy with reading.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jul 11, 2015 10:49 PM

I just finished reading "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin. I'm not fond of these types of books (the symbolic, every-day life, slow-moving ones) and I really disliked it at first, but it eventually grew on me. In fact, I like to think of it as a better version of "The Great Gatsby" (which I really hated xD) Unfortunately, by the time I really got into the book, there were only 3 chapters left :( It had a great ending though.

Jul 15, 2015 12:55 AM

The Child Thief by Gerald Brom

Jul 15, 2015 3:22 AM

I, Claudius
The Iliad

I've read parts of both before but for some reason haven't finished either of them, so I'm starting from the beginning again.

Jul 15, 2015 3:25 AM

currently reading the prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

Jul 15, 2015 12:59 PM
lilypippili said:
Currently reading the scarlet letter I LOVE IT

I'm a sucker for classics like Jane Austen, great expectations, and Jane eyre... I'm afraid I'm going to run out of books to read though ;_; so far all I have lined up after this is the rest of Jane Austen's books... Any other suggestions?

If you enjoy Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte, then I highly recommend Elisabeth Gaskell~
If you are looking more for Regency romances I suggest the wonderful Georgette Heyer~ (a 1920s authoress who also wrote fantastic mysteries <3 )
---

I'm about to finish Margery Allingham's "Look to the Lady." It's an Albert Campion mystery and is, true to form, wonderful.

Jul 15, 2015 1:39 PM

I haven't had the motivation to read for ages but I had finished my English coursework so I read Of Beren and Luthien in the similarillion. It was amazing, would have moved me to tears if I hadn't been in a classroom.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.

Jul 15, 2015 4:38 PM

Way Of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. I think this becoming one of my favorite fantasy book of all time.

Jul 15, 2015 4:46 PM
Just found out I had a book with all of the Sherlock Holmes stories in it. Apparently it's been hidden in the back of my book shelf for a good 10 years now. I started reading that since I thought it should be fairly entertaining.

Jul 15, 2015 11:04 PM

Rager said:
Way Of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. I think this becoming one of my favorite fantasy book of all time.
Yes it is one of my favourites. I want to get the second but I can't find it anywhere near me, I'll probably have to get it online.

princesspeachi said:
If you enjoy Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte, then I highly recommend Elisabeth Gaskell~
Know this was meant for her, but ty, I'm gonna check her out.

Just started reading Lord of Choas, the 6th book in the Wheel of Time series. It's been a while since I read the 5th book so honestly I'm a little lost, heh. I'll probably have to reread some, or look briefly over the wiki.

Jul 16, 2015 3:41 AM

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

Might read I robot alongside it too.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.

Jul 16, 2015 6:46 PM

Just finished reading Words of Radiance(2nd book of The Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson. It was such a fantastic sequel to an already great 1st book so it definitely surpassed my expectations. I'm currently reading his previous novel, Elantris, and trying to catch up on The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Jul 16, 2015 7:02 PM

zealot7 said:

I also started The Prince of Thorns and so far I am not impressed.

Jorgs character gets explored in more interesting ways in the sequels.

Fighting my way through Malazan book of the Fallen, its hard to keep track of everything but I'm finally starting to get into it.

Jul 17, 2015 6:02 AM

Started mistborn, quite average, more like LOTr than ASOIAF.

Skaa is the gayest word ever. Writers shouldn't try so hard.

Jul 17, 2015 7:25 PM

Every summer for the past couple of years I try to read the massive Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace each time I get a little farther and understand what's happening just a little better.

Jul 18, 2015 2:42 AM

Percy Jackson and the Olympians series

Jul 19, 2015 8:31 AM

Just finished The Girl With All the Gifts.

I sort of regret picking this book up, since I'm not quite fond of apocalypse settings.
But, that ending... it feels like a yandere end.
I don't know what to think...

Jul 20, 2015 5:34 AM

Just started reading Storm of Swords of Song of Ice and Fire Saga.

Pride and Prejudice and Prince & the Pauper on-hold.
"Even if I die, I'll come back alive!"

-Yotsuba

Jul 27, 2015 3:52 PM

princesspeachi said:
lilypippili said:
Currently reading the scarlet letter I LOVE IT

I'm a sucker for classics like Jane Austen, great expectations, and Jane eyre... I'm afraid I'm going to run out of books to read though ;_; so far all I have lined up after this is the rest of Jane Austen's books... Any other suggestions?

If you are looking more for Regency romances I suggest the wonderful Georgette Heyer~ (a 1920s authoress who also wrote fantastic mysteries <3 )
---

I'm about to finish Margery Allingham's "Look to the Lady." It's an Albert Campion mystery and is, true to form, wonderful.

Thank you for the suggestions I'll be sure to check them out!! *o* I'm soooo excited haha

I am now reading battle royale (the book, duhhh) and it's SO GOOD!! I'm shocked by how similar it is to the hunger games though, I wouldn't find it hard to believe Suzanne Collins really did rip it off. But omg it's so fast paced and I can't put it down I'm reading it constantly it's great! The English translation does sound slightly odd (like it's… Really simple English? Idk lol) but I wonder if I'd have even noticed if I didn't know it was a translation in the first place. I don't usually read books with a lot of violence but I'm kind of enjoying this xD Maybe I should try some more? :p

Aug 8, 2015 10:51 PM

I'm re-reading Abhorsen by Garth Nix. It's been a while since I read all books in order.

Aug 9, 2015 1:48 AM

I'm currently read House of Chains from Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. As a huge fantasy fan, I'm loving these books so much it's kind of unreal. I haven't cried or laughed so hard while reading a book in such a long time!
The "present" is a leaf floating on top of the river. It moves along with the flow from past to future. - Okabe Rintaro, Stein;s Gate

Caedes

Aug 9, 2015 2:05 AM

CaedesoftheSkies said:
I'm currently read House of Chains from Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. As a huge fantasy fan, I'm loving these books so much it's kind of unreal. I haven't cried or laughed so hard while reading a book in such a long time!

Malazan sounds too book-nerdy for me. Like all pretentious names and forced races. Are there any pre-determined opposing forces?

Aug 9, 2015 3:17 PM

spaher said:
Just finished reading Dracula =_= Sadly, I couldn't bring myself to like the story as much as I would expect

I've been reading it right now, I am somewhere in the middle and I don't find it absorbing tbh, not that it is bad of course. Proficient vocabulary and literary phrases or metaphors have slowed me down from reading this fast too.
"He's already special. Because he was... born into this world."

Aug 9, 2015 11:31 PM

I recently got The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaimon at the book store. I needed a break from the big fantasy/scifi novels I've been reading. Plus, I haven't read a novel from Gaimon yet.

While I was there I got Wildwood by Colin Meloy as well. I had read good things about it, plus the art looks awesome, so I couldn't resist. Only read 10 pages atm though...

Aug 9, 2015 11:33 PM

Just finished Of Mice and Men. It was suprisingly entertainig.

Aug 10, 2015 11:36 AM

Throne of the Crescent Moon. Makes a nice change reading a fantasy that uses elements from Arabian mythology instead of the usual European/Medieval setting.

Aug 10, 2015 12:50 PM
Reading Pride & Prejudice for the first time. Wow, Darcy is a real dick.

Aug 10, 2015 12:51 PM

reading To Kill A Mockingbird and might i say, daaaaang, it's amazing

Aug 10, 2015 9:47 PM

the_seventh_l said:

Have you read any of her other books?

Aug 11, 2015 12:00 AM

Death Is Now My Neighbor by Colin Dexter...
Inspector Morse is love.

Aug 14, 2015 12:25 PM
Larielia said:
the_seventh_l said:

No, this is the first book I've read by this author.

Aug 18, 2015 9:17 AM

the_seventh_l said:
Larielia said:

No, this is the first book I've read by this author.

How are you liking her? I've read the six complete novels. 'Emma' is my favourite.

Aug 18, 2015 9:40 AM

Reading Do androids dream of electric sheep. I think i like how it goes so far. I am reading it to compare with the film. But definitely like it better than Fahrenheit 451
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Aug 23, 2015 12:59 AM

Sup broskies.

Have any of you dudes read Malazan Book of the Fallen? I'm thinking of picking it up, what's the verdict?

Aug 23, 2015 5:10 AM

I am reading the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman and I just finished the second book (loving loving it and I wonder what will happen with Mary Malone and Lyra's parents) and I also just finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (the characters seemed too much like the ones from city of bones... I was kinda expecting more) (and I have tons of books for school but my laziness is stronger) >…<

Aug 23, 2015 1:04 PM

Just finished Kafka on the Shore the second time...

Aug 23, 2015 1:06 PM

Hulyanna said:
I also just finished Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
This series is a spin off from City of Bones. its in the past though ;)

ToastofJustice said:
Sup broskies.

Have any of you dudes read Malazan Book of the Fallen? I'm thinking of picking it up, what's the verdict?
Malazan was mentioned in a few posts above. Sadly I havent read it yet but it looks good.

Currently reading beastkeeper.
DELIVERY sig by 2019 SS.

Aug 24, 2015 4:28 PM

I'm just now reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I'm about halfway through. I just god to the part about 42. I like it, I can see why it's such a classic.
There is nothing that cannot be stolen by Mouse.

Aug 24, 2015 7:07 PM

I'm currently reading The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. It's the first Witcher novel.
"People who neglect to make efforts or who don't take any actions at all are always the ones who dream that someday they will suddenly become wildly successful."-Misaki Nakahara

Aug 29, 2015 4:28 PM
Isekai MC

This thread needs more love.

Anyway, I'm now reading Moby Dick after I finished Sherlock Holmes The Complete Novels and Stories Vol II.

Sep 1, 2015 3:31 PM

The Malazan book of the fallen is the definition of epicness. You have people crossing swords with gods, epic battles, insanely wast and imaginative world, unusual magic and many races (which are not dwarfs or elves). Some people hate it, because it doesn't have a main character, has too many plot lines and the story drags a bit in the later books. Also the first book doesn't make much sense for people, who are just starting the series, so you will probably have to read it twice in row.

Sep 1, 2015 7:12 PM

Reading Gulliver's Travels. Trying to get back into the habit of always having a book to read despite always being busy.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Sep 1, 2015 7:54 PM

Re-reading 'The Ladies of Grace Adieu' by Susanna Clarke, and 'Stardust' by Neil Gaiman.

Sep 3, 2015 3:38 AM

Hey has anyone here heard of The Earthsea Cycle(there was a ghibli movie based on it) do you know if it's any good and worth reading? :)

Sep 3, 2015 3:55 AM

Mein Kampf
I'll probably read Rules for Radicals after
...No, I'm not a Nazi or anything like that
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Sep 3, 2015 8:34 PM

reading the shining by stephen king(first of his books) and the rogue by julie ....
DELIVERY sig by 2019 SS.

Sep 4, 2015 12:37 PM

I finally got around to finishing "Anne of Green Gables" last night, and it was incredible. It was one of, if not the best book I've ever read.

I'll definitely watch the Anime someday.

Sep 4, 2015 12:42 PM
SmugCat

I'm reading a post-apocalyptic trilogy called The Silo trilogy, consisting of Wool, Shift and Dust by Hugh Howey. Wool was incredible, really well written, and had me hooked. I've not got far enough into Shift to have an opinion of it, but it's the prequel to Wool. I definitely recommend this series.

Sep 4, 2015 12:47 PM

I'm currently reading The Raven Boys, I've heard such great things about this series and I'm loving the mystery (also a little bit in love with Ronan)

Waiting for my amazon order to arrive so I can read Queen of Shadows :D

Sep 8, 2015 3:22 AM

Currently reading 'Mr. Holmes' and 'Peter and Max: A Fables Novel'. Alternating between two books keeps things interesting; jarring at times, but alot more enjoyable.

As i have more to think and discuss about.

Pages (107) « First ... « 94 95 [96] 97 98 » ... Last »