Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 93 94 [95] 96 97 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jan 16, 2015 11:51 AM
I just finished reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn last night. Pretty good book, but I was a tad bit disappointed about the ending. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, though. I had refused to see the movie in until I had the chance to read the book first.

I'm currently reading The Void of Mist and Thunder by James Dashner. It is the 4th (and final) book in the 13th Reality series. It has been good so far, but to be honest I'm kind of ready to be through with the 13th Reality series and to move on. I started reading the final book in the series back in early December and I'm only about halfway through it right now.

I'm also currently reading City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. It is the 2nd book in the Mortal Instruments series. I really enjoyed City of Bones, so I'm excited to read further.

Jan 17, 2015 8:44 AM

Still Life, the 1st book in the Inspector Armand Gamache by Louise Penny. I love cozy mystery, especially Agatha Christie and this series is labeled as such, but...I did like it but it is not as relaxing and charming as a Christie novel, the quite, perfect village is here but it deals with some very serious issues. Also, I like that Inspector Gamache is far from perfect, he is a flawed character that feels real and one that I get to like as the story progresses. And yeah, one can guess who the criminal is, there are no over the top reveals at the end, only things that make sense and were hinted throughout the novel. Overall, this was a far more complex novel that I expected.

Jan 17, 2015 9:17 AM

Gonna start 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Apparently it's a classic.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Jan 22, 2015 12:49 PM

I'm about halfway through One Hundred Year of Solitude and I'm considering stopping. Márquez is an interesting writer—and I'm glad I finally gave one of his novels a try—but I'm not sure if I can enjoy his style for 400+ pages. Or it could just be the specific translation I'm reading, not sure. Maybe I'll try one of his shorter works at some point in the future.

I also just started The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima. I'm pleased with it so far. I haven't read a story with a coastal setting in a while, so it's refreshing in that sense.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Jan 22, 2015 2:07 PM

currently reading

Into the wild by jon krakauer
and
The diary of anne frank

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!

Jan 22, 2015 2:45 PM

Zergneedsfood said:
RedRoseFring said:
Gonna start 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Apparently it's a classic.
Easily one of the best sci-fi novels that exist, which is ironic that it gets dubbed a sci-fi class when it's much more fantasy-esque in a lot of ways.
Reading Dune right now, just a few chapters in. I think I'm going to like this a lot. Definitely feels like a fantasy novel, but set in a sci-fi world.

Jan 22, 2015 5:49 PM

Dragon horse- hard to explain but it's a masterpiece in my eyes.

Jan 22, 2015 5:51 PM

Beautiful Creatures and The Maze Runner.

Jan 22, 2015 5:57 PM

Trying to get through The Fountainhead. It's a whale of a book.

Also reading a nonfiction textbook on animal behavior separate from my current classwork, which include behavioral pharmacology, abnormal psychology, and animal physiology textbooks (yes, I actually read for my classes).

Jan 23, 2015 5:23 AM
Reading an old book full of poems that I found in my moms room. I am getting deep now.

Feb 9, 2015 9:33 AM

oh my goodness I just finished reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles and it is so unbelievably tragic, I felt like my heart was being wrenched out of my chest and stepped on ;_; this is one of those books that's going to haunt me for a while after I finish reading it... I think I need to watch the movie to get it out of my system. I'm thinking the 1998 version

you guys should definitely read this book.

Feb 20, 2015 2:29 PM
Actually Linus

Just bought the first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I've heard good things about the series, so I'm looking forward to it.

Feb 20, 2015 10:26 PM
Started reading Just One Year by Gayle Forman a few days ago. I've been super busy with work and such, so I've only read a few chapters so far.

Feb 22, 2015 7:46 PM

Currently reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb: 25th Anniversary edition by Richard Rhodes. It's taking a while, though, since it's a large book and has a lot more information than it needs (and also pressed for time).

Feb 23, 2015 2:53 AM

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. Kinda disappointed, intriguing premise and the 1st quarter if the book was very good, but after that it failed to deliver imo, and the ending...maybe I am just to cynical to appreciate it.

Mar 1, 2015 9:20 AM
Literary Lost, which is basically an academic study of literature and how it played into the plot/characters of the TV show LOST. Aka, it's my kind of book.

Mar 2, 2015 8:32 AM

I am reading a book about commonly made language errors (Italian) which popular usage and customs made them almost acceptable.
It's a nice book for a language purist like me, so I can become more pretentious than I usually am by correcting those people who always like to rape Italian language so badly. Everyone always try to defend themselves by saying "Well, that's how languages evolve" but I can't get past to it and irritates me.

Mar 2, 2015 8:49 AM

Does comic books count?

I been reading The Walking Dead recently. good shit though the characters are a lot different from the TV show. there not as cool but then some are not as annoying either lol Lori for example. not as annoying. Andrea is actually fkn useful and is in no way annoying.

I like how theirs a grey area when it comes to the decisions people make instead of it mostly being black & white like in the TV show. especially when it comes to rick.

Any every character has their good AND bad points. in the comic book. the TV show has a lot of Black & White. bad vs good type shit but its a little harder to see who's right and who's wrong in the comic.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now

Mar 2, 2015 8:53 AM

The great gatsby...... for school. It ain't bad so far but I got spoiled. So kinda stopped reading and hating on a character.
DELIVERY sig by 2019 SS. Thank you very much <3 I love MDZS, there wasn't really a order except alphabetical on my favs list :D

Mar 3, 2015 2:58 AM

The Last Unicorn
The prose is absolutely beautiful; it's worth reading just for that. The characters seem interesting so far, and certain aspects of it for compel me to read on, so I hope it doesn't devolve into derivative twaddle, like so many other promising books.
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.

Mar 3, 2015 10:13 PM

the crucible by arthur miller. not exactly a book(novel), but a play....
I have to read it for school but anyways: it's a LOT longer than the other plays we've studied. the narration/character intros by miller are extremely long. I can't analyze that shit bro

Apr 10, 2015 11:10 AM

Inferno by Dante D:

Apr 10, 2015 11:17 AM

Quantum field theory for the gifted amateur. In a few years I'll be able to fully appreciate qft.

Apr 10, 2015 11:52 AM

spaher said:
Inferno by Dante D:
Make sure to read Purgatory and Paradise too. That way, you can truly understand the poem's structure, Dante's relationship with Virgil etc. You'll be able to grasp the bigger picture. It definitely is one of, if not the most complex, ambitious, poetically beautiful and perfectly structured works of literature out there.

Apr 10, 2015 6:55 PM

NERigby96 said:
The Last Unicorn
The prose is absolutely beautiful; it's worth reading just for that. The characters seem interesting so far, and certain aspects of it for compel me to read on, so I hope it doesn't devolve into derivative twaddle, like so many other promising books.

The Last Unicorn is a fantastic book and one of the most beautiful fairy tales I've ever read <3
I haven't been reading much lately but I'm getting through Norwegian Wood by Murakami slowly. Not that good, I'm disappointed.

May 23, 2015 10:58 PM
Actually Linus

Curently reading Warbreaker by Branden Sanderson. Another good fantasy entry by Sanderson, imo. I got a little impatient, skipped ahead a few chapters and unfortunately spoiled another book. So I think I'm gonna take a break from it and start reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I'll probably pick it back up once it's not so fresh on my mind.
Modified by Eeyore, May 23, 2015 11:02 PM

May 23, 2015 11:23 PM
Just finished the first Game of Thrones book. Thought I'd check the whole song of ice and fire book series out eventually as I'm a fan of the show. Twas really good :)

My taste in book tends to be more like my taste in anime and manga. I like a good mystery/thriller. They make for awesome stories!

May 23, 2015 11:58 PM

Finished The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison yesterday and I must say it felt really, really good to read a book so un-gritty and light after all the grittier, darker and edgier fantasies that have flooded the fantasy market these days. Not that they are bad, but reading stories about a crapsack world after crapsack world gets a bit frustrating.

May 24, 2015 7:18 PM

Just starting Theft of Swords, seems pretty interesting so far.

May 24, 2015 8:06 PM
Notes from Underground by Dostoyevsky.

Get your shit together, you decrepit old fart. just kidding, you're my nigga
Modified by murhe, May 24, 2015 8:10 PM

May 24, 2015 8:07 PM
Isekai MC

I'm reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Loved The Goldfinch, so I wanted to read more of her books. I'm half-way through, great so far; her writing is amazing.
And I'm also reading the omnibus of the Infinity Gauntlet event. It's 1700 pages, so I'm taking it easy with it.

May 24, 2015 8:25 PM

I'm rereading The Silmarillion from JRR Tolkien, absolutely love this book.

May 25, 2015 3:31 AM

I'm reading Uglies by Scott Westerfield. Like 6 chapters, pretty decent so far.

May 26, 2015 5:32 AM

I juggle books so-
The iliad
The story of psychology
A history of western philosophy
Thinking fast and slow

May 26, 2015 7:27 PM
I just finished Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell a few hours ago. I'm currently about halfway through The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan.

May 26, 2015 9:59 PM

Rereading the Iliad, understanding it better than my first read.

May 27, 2015 3:25 AM

Last book I read was Baby Jesus Butt Plug. From the name, it's easy to assume that it tries way to hard to be offensive. But for a book that has a try-hard name and has zombies, it's surprisingly well-written 1 day read.

May 27, 2015 3:29 AM
I'm (finally) reading the last book of Harry Potter series (which I love) and then I'll read "Around the Moon", the sequel of "From the Earth to the Moon" by Jules Verne.

May 27, 2015 3:53 AM

Nicholas Nickelby by Charles Dickens.
I am only starting it,I hope it turns out to be good.
Will sell gamer boi bath water. More in PMs.

May 27, 2015 8:07 AM

I ordered Musashi; I can't wait wait to read it. I already own and have read the first (Vizbig) volume of Vagabond and instead of spending a ton of money on the rest of the series I thought I'd just read Musashi instead... but I'm totally gonna end up buying all of Vagabond anyway, eventually. Hopefully reading Musashi first won't at all lesser my enjoyment of Vagabond. Though I think Vagabond's only loosely influenced by Musashi so it should't be too bad.

Has anyone read both? If so, which is your favorite?

May 27, 2015 8:46 AM

I am currently reading Hakase no Aishita Sushiki/The Professor and His Beloved Equation by Yoko Ogawa

It's much more educational than the math lessons at my school
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Salman bin Abdul Aziz said:
@Comic_Sans I hate to insult you on forums but you are just a troll so just go kill yourself already bitch

May 27, 2015 11:00 AM

Just finished Flowers for Algernon, and it instantly became a favourite of mine.

Currently reading A Thousand and One Nights.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

May 29, 2015 12:44 AM

The Pretty Little Liars book series lolol <3

Jun 2, 2015 7:14 AM

Just finished reading Dracula =_= Sadly, I couldn't bring myself to like the story as much as I would expect OTL Currently reading Gulliver's Travels.

Jun 27, 2015 6:58 PM

I'm currently reading "Anne of Green Gables" by Lucy Maud Montgomery. So far I'm really enjoying it.

This is the first book I've read in at least 10 years. It's good to be back into reading books again.

Jun 28, 2015 3:39 AM

stuck somewhere in middle of Warcraft rise of the lich king. i find it hard to read in fast pace when it isn't about orcs ><

Jun 28, 2015 2:19 PM
I've been reading Sherlock Holmes books lately,and they're one of the best things I've ever read

Jun 28, 2015 2:22 PM

hahahaha1 said:
I've been reading Sherlock Holmes books lately,and they're one of the best things I've ever read

Yup, classic series.

I'm currently reading the song of ice and fire series by grrm, and And then there were none by Agatha Christie.

Jul 7, 2015 3:00 PM

Currently reading the scarlet letter I LOVE IT

I'm a sucker for classics like Jane Austen, great expectations, and Jane eyre... I'm afraid I'm going to run out of books to read though ;_; so far all I have lined up after this is the rest of Jane Austen's books... Any other suggestions?

Jul 10, 2015 9:04 AM

Just finished The Red Knight by Cameron Miles and it was a pretty good military fantasy. Both the heroes and the villains were likable, the battles were epic and the world was colorful and interesting.
I also started The Prince of Thorns and so far I am not impressed. The hero is really one-dimensional. Half of the time he thinks about hurting people, the other half he is actually hurting people. The other characters are not developed at all and the world-building is poor.
I have also started the Aspect-Emperor trilogy and this time I will be counting how
many times per book the author will use the word "phallus" (because he was using it a lot in the first trilogy with the same heroes).

Pages (107) « First ... « 93 94 [95] 96 97 » ... Last »