Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 91 92 [93] 94 95 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Sep 15, 2014 6:13 AM

Lord of the Flies by whoever made it. Fuck flies, by the way.

Sep 15, 2014 7:30 AM

Yeah he becomes less of a pushover and more of a hardass as the series continues. But as you said so many series out there no reason in wasting time with what you dislike. Truthfully I don't read Urban Fantasy often, though I have tried Nightside as well and didn't much care for it either.

Looked up Peter Grant at your mention and added it to my PTR, looks interesting.

Sep 19, 2014 8:31 AM

The Waste Lands by Stephen King. It's the 3rd book in his Dark Tower series, I am quite near the end of this novel, I got to say it's my favorite so far, mostly because we find out more about the main quest, glimpses of our main character's obsession, and he is quite a fascinating main character, I also liked the introduction of the 4th main character, his story was more interesting for me that the previous stories of the 2 main characters introduced in book 2.
Plus, a lot of this book actually takes place in Mid-World, the fantasy world created by King, and slowly we discover more and more of it and it's one crazy, odd world.

Katagari said:

Yeah he becomes less of a pushover and more of a hardass as the series continues. But as you said so many series out there no reason in wasting time with what you dislike. Truthfully I don't read Urban Fantasy often, though I have tried Nightside as well and didn't much care for it either.

Looked up Peter Grant at your mention and added it to my PTR, looks interesting.

I don't read much urban fantasy myself, the ones I mentioned above are the only ones I started, only read the 1st book of each of those series but I will continue Sandman Slim and Peter Grant. Peter Grant is definitely a fun series because the author actually tries to bring some new elements to the genre, it feels fresh and inventive.

Sep 19, 2014 12:32 PM

Currently reading The Immoralist by André Gide. It's classic existentialist introspection. Humorous at some points, enrapturing, depressing, but always beautiful and beautifully written. André Gide seems to be quite underrated.

Sep 19, 2014 12:56 PM

reading "the name of the wind" by patrick rothfuss

its alright so far at chapter 24... good story but not amazing as ive been lead to believe
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久

Sep 19, 2014 6:03 PM

The Lovely Bones. Its fantastic and thought provoking.
out-ofthe-woods.tumblr.com

(✿◠‿◠)

Sep 19, 2014 6:51 PM

mapleslattes said:
The Lovely Bones. Its fantastic and thought provoking.

Yeah it is

Fuck your eyes.

Sep 19, 2014 11:02 PM

I just finished Heir of Fire which is the 3rd in the Throne of Glass series. It is seriously the best series I have ever read including Harry Potter. This says a lot coming from me and I now realize that I put it on a high pedestal. However, this series of books deserves it. The main protagonist is so real in her emotions and actions. She is selfish, cowardly, brave, loyal, brutal, funny... just everything a character should be. UGH!!! THESE BOOKS!!!!

Seriously if anyone is looking for a new series this is it. It is a teen series and the author is Sarah J. Maas. Look it up!!

Assassins, and Princes, and Fae OH MY!!

Sep 20, 2014 6:30 AM

Im reading allegiant. and i know the ending .
DELIVERY sig by 2019 SS.

Sep 20, 2014 7:15 PM
Ranoom said:
Im reading allegiant. and i know the ending .

Ayyy, me too! I'm actually in the middle of the epilogue right now. I was spoiled for the ending, but I don't think it ruins any of the story.

Sep 20, 2014 8:11 PM

Wowwww nice.... Im still half way T.T... its not fun to know the ending....cause im just waiting for it to happen... Did you enjoy the series though?
DELIVERY sig by 2019 SS.

Sep 21, 2014 12:01 PM
Ranoom said:
Wowwww nice.... Im still half way T.T... its not fun to know the ending....cause im just waiting for it to happen... Did you enjoy the series though?

I massively disliked the first two books, but I thought the last book was an improvement over them.

Sep 21, 2014 7:53 PM

Paperboy by Vince Vawter
Its a childrens novel but the characters are very charming and the writing and format are very unqiue
Its taking me quite a while to finish although its not very long
Current cosplans: Street Clothes! Ryuko Matoi and Jellyfish Dress! Kuranosuke Koibuchi

Sep 22, 2014 10:29 AM

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb. Just finished All's Well That Ends Well. It's a good book to understand the summaries of Shakespear's works, because I'm such a dunce when trying to understand his stories OTL

Sep 23, 2014 2:35 AM

So once again while searching for what to read next, I am on goodreads and I am tempted by some highly rated YA series and a scene from Seinfeld pops in my mind, George: "Why do I get pesto? Why do I think I'll like it? I keep trying to like it, like I have to like it." "Everybody likes pesto. You walk into a restaurant, that's all you hear - pesto, pesto, pesto."

So I did start one lol I am currently in the middle of Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. This is actually quite fun, it's nothing special but I like the characters, it's fast paced and very entertaining. The premise of the quest is pretty weak, but who am I to understand the minds of gods, overall the story and world is quite simple, also everything was pretty predictable so far, I hope the 2nd half of this novel will be less so, but I am having fun with it so that is all that matters in the end. I definitely see myself continuing with this series past the first book.

Sep 24, 2014 4:11 PM

I'm reading Queer by William S. Burrough and Buddies by Barbara Park. I love Barbara Park's books, when I was young I loved reading Junie B Jones.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 24, 2014 4:27 PM

Genuine lies, by Nora Roberts. I must say that this woman is perf. I can't even.
Your voice sounds fine regardless; like fragments of shattered melody.

Sep 26, 2014 1:41 PM

Just finished The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron, sequel to The Red Knight. Was what I expected, more of the first book. Dragged a little in some scenes, but overall pretty solid writing.

Starting on Malice by John Gwynne. Very excited.

Sep 27, 2014 7:11 AM

Just started The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket. I love Poe's short stories so I'm looking forward to seeing how he deals with a full length novel

Sep 27, 2014 7:21 AM

Das unendliche Licht by Thomas Finn. Since I heard he´d be on the Frankfurt Book Fair on the day I go there, I decided to reread all his books our library has. It has been 6 years since I last read them and this time I realized how simple it actually is. Still a good read.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 27, 2014 7:08 PM
Reading the new Murakami Haruki novel! I'll admit, it's not as good as 1Q84 or his earlier works, but it's intricately, beautifully written and has kept me glued to the page nonetheless - although Tsukuru can be a frustrating character to follow at times.

Sep 27, 2014 8:11 PM

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein. It's very informative and great overall read, but sometimes her arguments are noticeably biased. Also, her use of statistics is occasionally misleading.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Sep 28, 2014 6:05 AM

I'm currently reading Game of Thrones, trying to fill the void until season 5...

Sep 28, 2014 7:13 AM

Read the last wheel of time book. Kind of like the end of How I Met Your Mother. Infinitely long drawn out series, and an ending that could reasonably have taken place in the third book.

Sep 28, 2014 10:40 PM

Aesop Fables, man. Feeling like a child all over again OTL

Sep 29, 2014 3:42 AM
Just finished - The Golden Notebook (by Doris Lessing) - The story of writer Anna Wulf who record her life in four notebooks and aims to tie them together in this fifth, gold-colored notebook.

Now reading - Midnight'S Children (by Salman Rushdie) - The story of how the children of poor Hindus and wealthy Muslims are switched at birth.

Next on my list - Cider with Rosie (by Laurie Lee)

Sep 29, 2014 4:42 AM

BarryManilow said:
Read the last wheel of time book. Kind of like the end of How I Met Your Mother. Infinitely long drawn out series, and an ending that could reasonably have taken place in the third book.

That's kind of unfair. The Last Battle chapter in AMoL was a great chapter and the series would have at least taken six books(Jordan's original plan). Though I agree HIMYM screwed up the ending.

Oct 1, 2014 8:44 AM

Just finished reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through The Looking-Glass. I'm quite ashamed that I did not read the book early enough even though I've watched the Disney movie many many years go. It was a lovely and clever read, had a few laughs too.

Now, I'm moving on to The Goddess Chronicle by Natsuo Kirino (also author of Out, Grotesque and Real World) @@ my favorite Japanese female crime-fiction author.
Modified by rainasaurus, Oct 1, 2014 8:48 AM

Oct 2, 2014 10:49 AM

I'm reading blueeyedboy by Joanne Harris and I love it. One just can't get enough of St. Oswald's, right?!

Oct 3, 2014 8:01 PM

I'm reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson right now and I must say it's a pretty good read so far.

Oct 3, 2014 11:42 PM

Reading Complete Fairy Tales by Oscar Wilde. Yes, I'm on a roll here XD

Oct 4, 2014 12:03 AM

Started War of the Worlds today. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while, decided it's about time I read it.

RealMTL said:
I'm reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson right now and I must say it's a pretty good read so far.
I wanted to get this, though it isn't carried at any of the book stores near me.
Modified by Eeyore, Mar 6, 2019 7:04 PM

Oct 4, 2014 10:55 AM

spaher said:
Reading Complete Fairy Tales by Oscar Wilde. Yes, I'm on a roll here XD

You're not the only one lol.

I'm reading "Night train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier. I had high expectations for this book and got disappointed in the beginning. Then, after around 50 (of around 500) pages it became better and I'm having high expectations again lol. I look forward on reading how the story continues.
If I really enjoy the book, I'll think about watching the film.

Oct 4, 2014 12:10 PM

I'm reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.

I hate this book with a passion.

What the fuck is with this love hexagon??????

Oct 4, 2014 5:48 PM
Currently in Storm of Swords by George RR Martin.

Oct 9, 2014 5:42 PM

just read insignia by s.j. kincaid it was alright. nothing too special but not too bad either. probably gonna read the next book in the trilogy soon, but im probably gonna read "the young elites" by marie lu first

BarryManilow said:
yeah that series was needlessly long. the last 3 books were best imo because of the pace brandon sanderson set. i need to continue reading malazan at some point i stopped reading the first book pretty early because i have absolutely no idea whats going on in that story

Oct 9, 2014 6:02 PM

I just bought 1984, but I haven't started reading it.

I should have read it back in middle school, but I wasn't much of a reader then.

Oct 9, 2014 6:05 PM

Trickster´s Choice
I might be getting a little too old for Tamora Pierce´s works, but it´s still one of my favorite books.

Oct 9, 2014 6:39 PM

Culex said:

I should have read it back in middle school, but I wasn't much of a reader then.
Better late than never!
LoneWolf said:

Oct 9, 2014 7:50 PM
Josh- said:
Culex said:

Better late than never!

Seconded! It's a classic for a reason, imho, and is pretty readable.

Oct 10, 2014 1:57 AM

I recently have more free time on my hands, so I'm reading more often. About two weeks ago, I read the first Game of Thrones book, and seriously why haven't I read it earlier? It's really good.
Last week I read the book Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson, and that was a really good read. It's fiction/fantasy all that stuff, and it has a very unique and interesting use of "magic" or whatever you want to call it. I'd recommend it. It's the first of a trilogy, I believe.
Next I want to re-read Harry Potter, because it's been a few years since then, and I also want to keep reading more of GoT, and finally read LotR for the first time, because I haven't done that yet. Yeah, I'm terrible.
"There are better places to take a nap than on the ground, you know."

Oct 10, 2014 7:51 PM

i havent read lotr either.

i got like a couple pages into the hobbit but i couldnt stand the writing

Oct 10, 2014 7:52 PM

Art of War - Sun Tzu

Oct 12, 2014 4:12 AM

I have just finished the Catcher in the Rye and liked it a lot.
Where there is a will, there is a YEET

Oct 16, 2014 12:05 PM

just got finished reading the insignia series by S.J. Kincaid and it was pretty cool.

i swear to god though. the ghost in the shell vibes were so strong at some points in the story that im convinced kincaid is an anime/manga watcher

Oct 17, 2014 8:23 AM

Authority by Jeff VanderMeer. The 2nd book in the Southern Reach Trilogy, while the 1st one focused on the new expedition sent to investigate an area that appeared out of nowhere, a "pristine wilderness" as it is called many times in the novel, an area surrounded by an invisible barrier with only one entry point, a very mysterious place where strange, unexplained things happen, this 2nd novel focuses however on Southern Reach, the agency that is supposed to deal with that peculiar area, an agency located relatively near it. I have to say that the weirdness from the 1st book continues but it is a different kind, this novel has a lot more paranoia, quite kafkaesque in its nature. I did however prefer the exploring of an intriguing, alien world from the 1st novel over this. Still, this is quite an amazing series and the writing is just amazing, it is a true pleasure to read that grabbed me from the 1st page:

Oct 17, 2014 10:04 AM

My last reads were a run through of The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and the complete Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.

I have the next Dresden on my desk, but I've been weirdly adverse to reading lately.

Anybody have those moments where you feel like you've read the best of what you're favorite genres have to offer, so there's no point in reading anymore? That's where I'm at right now and it sucks.

Oct 17, 2014 9:06 PM

just started reading lincoln rhyme series by jeffery deaver

a promising series from what ive read so far (%59 into book one) i liked crime shows like CSI but this goes one step further and gets into nitty gritty details and has introduced me to terms and techniques that are used in actual criminal investigations.

lincoln himself seems like a walking encyclopedia who knows new york like his entire hand (not just the back of it) i suppose that comes with being an investigator there for 20 years but his genius is somewhat unbelievable at times, but its all awesome so far nonetheless. the criminal is well written as well

Oct 18, 2014 2:28 PM

If anyone is interested in being part of a small e-book club type thing, we're reading Blindness by José Saramago. Here's the thread.
LoneWolf said:

Oct 18, 2014 9:42 PM

Josh- said:
If anyone is interested in being part of a small e-book club type thing, we're reading Blindness by José Saramago. Here's the thread.
i saw the movie about that. it has the dude who plays hulk in the avengers in it. theres also a japanese couple who get quarantined with them

on the second book of lincln rhyme series. first one was great i wasnt able to guess who the culprit was, but i came close and thought i guessed correctly because of one line that described the way he handled rhymes c4 vertebrae.

second one is great so far. i love the criminals perspective where he interacts with ordinary people to maintain his cover, how he mercilessly analyzes and categorizes them. its quite hilarious.

Pages (107) « First ... « 91 92 [93] 94 95 » ... Last »