Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 85 86 [87] 88 89 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Oct 18, 2013 2:41 PM

The Red House

It's a slice of life/family drama about a brother and sister who reunite after their mothers death by taking their families on holiday to the back arse of Wales.

The book has a very odd layout to it, structured into small chunks erratically switching perspectives from one family member to the next, giving you a piece of poetry/descriptive paragraph depicting the scene or a small extract from a book or film one of the characters are following. The focus is more or less evenly spread exploring all 8 family members without giving precedence to any one in particular giving you plenty to soak in.

So far it's becoming one of my favorites, for something focusing so heavily on the mundane it's got a lot going on.

Oct 18, 2013 9:53 PM

Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
Deals with a man named Dor who was assigned to be the keeper of time . Has a lot of religous overtones and moral preaching
Life is but a creepin shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more

Oct 19, 2013 9:43 AM

Currently reading Great Expectations.
ELABORATE SIGNATURE

Oct 19, 2013 12:20 PM

Just finished Ranger's Apprentice 12: The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan

Starting Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
I'm an Avid Slice of Life fan, if you have any interesting SoL anime/manga to introduce, please do so ^^,

Just your typical Yandere lover :3

Oct 20, 2013 5:38 PM
Finished Ender's Game and I am currently reading Speaker for the dead. It is a really good series and I hope the film doesn't disappoint.

Oct 20, 2013 6:35 PM

Spice and Wolf (Novel) After realizing how many volumes there are and not enough seasons in anime to catch up. I decided to just start reading this amazing story :).

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. As a biology major this really interested me. Science heavy mixed with self narration with many storytelling elements. Basically the origin of medical advances no one knew.

Rereading my favorite novel, The Shadow of the Wind. A historical romance and mystery about a book of the past.

Oct 20, 2013 7:20 PM

I'm haven't been reading anything too recently, since my semester started this year, but I just finished the fifth book to the Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. So, fortunately (and somehow unfortunately), I am all caught up in the series.

Too bad I need to wait for the man to publish his sixth book, The Winds of Winter. /rollseyes

But honestly, it's such a fantastically deep series. The scale of George Martin's world, and the sheer amount of lore he has devised is mind-blowing. It really drags you into the book, especially because of his multi-layered characters and great dynamic character development.

I can't help but appreciate that morality isn't seen in black and white. The characters are in the grey area, a refreshing change from your typically Tolkien styled fantasies (though, I also have a deep love for all of Tolkien's work too) where there's a clear line between good and evil.

I highly suggest these books to anyone who's into the genre. You won't be able to stop reading. :3
"He who does not fear the sword he holds is not worthy of holding a sword." ~ Shuhei Hisagi

Oct 20, 2013 10:21 PM
The Last Banquet by Jonathan Grimwood.
It revolves around the life of an orphan during the French Revolution. Quite the thrilling tale.

Oct 20, 2013 10:23 PM

Just started the Codex Alara series. Re-reading the Night Angel Trilogy, and I'm halfway through the first book in the Malazan series

Oct 21, 2013 6:48 PM

I have a huge pile of books from the library. /sigh

Right now I am reading "Island" by Aldous Huxley. I've liked Huxley's "Brave New World", so I am really excited for this one. I'm a few pages in and so far it's very interesting!

Oct 22, 2013 10:50 AM

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Looking quite good so far~

Oct 26, 2013 8:13 PM
97 pages into Ningen Shikkaku
It's fairly short, 175 pages or so.
So far, I like it. Human despair and hopeless/helplessness is fascinating to read about.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"

Oct 26, 2013 8:39 PM
The Next Decade: What the World Will Look Like -- George Friedman

I've heard some good things about the author, but have a few apprehensions about his views on geo-political cycles.

Oct 26, 2013 11:42 PM

Well I'm not actually reading these three, but I bought them recently and am debating which one to start with:

-I am Malala (Malala Yousafzai)
-The reason I jump (Naoki Higashida)
-Ordinary Men (Christopher Browning)

Oct 30, 2013 11:33 PM

Almost finished with the 3rd installment of the Divergent series, Allegiant by Veronica Roth. It's a bit of a disapointment compared to the first two books but i'm determined to finish it.

Oct 31, 2013 6:58 PM

started stephen king's 'doctor sleep' sequel to the shining, very strange not sure if im liking it at the moment big king fan so i am sticking with it!

Nov 1, 2013 7:28 AM

About halfway through Chuck Palahniuk's newest one 'Doomed' (sequel to Damned). A Judy Bloom-type description of the afterlife in purgatory.

I read Tim Dorsey's 'Florida Roadkill' before that and absolutely loved it. A friend recommended it to me on behalf of my interest in Hunter S. Thompson. I'll be reading 'Hammerhead Ranch Motel' by Dorsey after I'm done with 'Doomed'.
i like to dissect girls, did you know i'm utterly insane?

Nov 1, 2013 12:54 PM

Finished reading Dracula by Bram Stoker very recently. It was enjoyable, but it was annoying and slow at times.

Plan to start reading The Collected Poems of Audre Lorde today. Need new inspiration for writing. Plus, I want to read some of it before I read her autobiography Zami.

Nov 1, 2013 2:35 PM

Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler

It's a book about a former communist revolutionary who's imprisoned by the revolution he helped establish. I'm really liking it so far; Koestler's prose is very clear and his characters are great. This book has some serious power. I'm about half-way through

Nov 7, 2013 12:29 AM

Just picked up the book Orcs from B&N. Should I read the Codex Alera series?

Nov 7, 2013 4:43 PM

been reading The Exorcist lately. really good so far.

Nov 7, 2013 9:49 PM
Actually Linus

Took some time, but I finally finished Mistborn today. So... it started off pretty slow, and by started I mean the first 400ish pages, but things really picked up with the final 250, and once I got there I didn't want to stop reading it. I probably finished the last 200 pages in 1/23rd the time it took to get to that point. I really liked it despite the slow start, and enjoyed reading it the whole most of the time. A really good fantasy world, imo.

Gonna get the next book after I finish Elantris-- a book by the same author, though unrelated.
Modified by Eeyore, Nov 7, 2013 9:53 PM

Nov 8, 2013 7:37 PM
Captain-Hawkeye said:
97 pages into Ningen Shikkaku
It's fairly short, 175 pages or so.
So far, I like it. Human despair and hopeless/helplessness is fascinating to read about.

I have nothing pertinent to say except that I love your handle/avatar combo.

Nov 9, 2013 2:39 PM

I've started reading The Sorrows of Young Werther and Three Men in a Boat recently.
Also, I'm rereading The Invention of Morel and Other Stories (from La Trama Celeste) for the 3rd time.
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.

Nov 9, 2013 10:07 PM
Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton.

Absolutely adore this book.

Nov 9, 2013 10:11 PM

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. It's scary that this is a vaguely plausible future.

Nov 11, 2013 12:58 AM

fueille said:
I've started reading The Sorrows of Young Werther and Three Men in a Boat recently.
Also, I'm rereading The Invention of Morel and Other Stories (from La Trama Celeste) for the 3rd time.

GREAT books. I finished The Sorrows of Young Werther recently and was amazed. It was the first book I had read in a while that made me put it down in amazement within the first few pages alone. I've copied out many quotes from it.
Funny thing: I was reading an introduction to a collection of Schopenhauer's essays, and one thing it said was the reason so many Germans became philosophers was because nobody could compete with Goethe's work. Probably a joke, but I can see where it came from haha.

Currently I'm reading The Opposing Shore. A bit of a lesser known French book by author Julien Gracq. It took 35 years to get published in English! I don't know why - I'm about 1/3rd of the way through it and so far It has been nothing short of a masterpiece.

Nov 17, 2013 5:36 AM

so i just started reading james franco's book of short stories the other day, palo alto. i am very much enjoying these tales of cruelty if i do say so.

Nov 17, 2013 8:35 AM
Currently reading, "Star Trek: The Lives of Dax" by a handful of authors. Good read if you've seen Deep Space Nine

Nov 17, 2013 8:52 AM
The Strenuous Life by Theodore Roosevelt. It's a collection of speeches and essays by Roosevelt on the importance of building the character of men and women in order for the American Republic to succeed. From it the reader learns that eschewing the life of ease and luxury are necessary for a country to thrive. So far so good.

"In the last analysis a healthy state can exist only when the men and women who make it up lead clean, vigorous, healthy lives; when the children are so trained that they shall endeavor, not to shirk difficulties, but to overcome them; not to seek ease, but to know how to wrest triumph from toil and risk."

Nov 18, 2013 4:36 PM

The Companians: The Sundering by Robert Anthony Salvatore. It's a great fantasy novel that has an exciting and gripping story. I'm having a real hard time putting it down.

Nov 18, 2013 4:37 PM

The Outsiders. I'm really liking the characters.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews

Dec 2, 2013 9:19 PM
Actually Linus

Almost finished with Elantris. It has a much more compelling beginning that Mistborn, imo. My only criticism, and this would apply to many novels, is that the story is told from the point of view of several characters, with chapters alternating between them, and the chapters with less interesting characters really slows down the pace and can make reading it a bore-- but I really like it so far.

Also, I wanted to take a brake from my regular fantasy & thriller/action, so I picked up Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. One page in and I'm already getting the 19th century prose feel from it, though that's not a bad thing.

Dec 2, 2013 9:21 PM

1984 by George Orwell
To the clueless people: my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire

Join if hate Clannad: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=12806&time=1389088639
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=41313

Dec 3, 2013 1:13 AM

I've been reading the Three Kingdons from Moss Roberts, pretty impressive book. It feels as with you were in China watching everything with your own eyes.

Dec 3, 2013 1:26 AM

The Fallen 5: Armageddon by Thomas E. Sniegoski

It's the last book. :)

Can't wait to see how the half-angel half-humans will do against Satan who used Lucifer as his physical body.

Dec 22, 2013 2:03 PM
ScytherBreeder said:
Currently reading, "Star Trek: The Lives of Dax" by a handful of authors. Good read if you've seen Deep Space Nine

Sounds cool. Is there any Bashir? I ♥ Julian.

Dec 22, 2013 2:49 PM

We need some more love in this thread.

I just re-read one of my go-tos the other day, The Raw Shark Texts. It's the story of an amnesiac fellow (sing along if you know it), one Eric Sanderson, who wakes up to a letter that basically says,
I fucked up.
My bad,
- The First Eric Sanderson

The driving concept behind the story is that human interaction has created flow ecosystems based on language and writing, and life has evolved to fit this niche as it has so many others. So, that memory he lost? A fucking conceptual shark ate it. A shark that notices its prey is still alive, notices him pathetically splashing around in an ocean of words and memories and confusion.
Never be afraid to prejudge something; you can always change your mind later.

Dec 23, 2013 4:10 AM

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

"Let me keep believing... so that I can keep on living."

Dec 23, 2013 7:31 AM
Well I just finished 'Me Before You' :"D so good!!! I wanna go to the library again to get another book!

Dec 23, 2013 9:37 AM

after the horrendous Dexter series finale, i started reading the books for some closure as they have a different story. i am halfway through the 2nd book and i am loving it :D

Norwegian wood by Haruki Murikami is a favorite of mine. i am a sucker for love stories XP
"Do not chase after who goes, Do not refuse those who come." - Yomi from Nightmare
:D

Dec 24, 2013 6:48 AM

at the moment im reading "the talented mr ripley" by Patricia Highsmith, i highly recommend it if you're into physiological thrillers from the perspective of the murder
(〃 ̄ω ̄〃)ゞ

Dec 24, 2013 6:50 AM

Sakura-chan`s amazing adventure, reading it again, a masterpiece!

Dec 24, 2013 7:46 AM

The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. I only recently found out how expensive philosophy books have become... Anyways, it's always interesting to see the varied types of books everyone reads here.

Dec 24, 2013 4:42 PM

Starchaser187 said:
The Strenuous Life by Theodore Roosevelt. It's a collection of speeches and essays by Roosevelt on the importance of building the character of men and women in order for the American Republic to succeed. From it the reader learns that eschewing the life of ease and luxury are necessary for a country to thrive. So far so good.

"In the last analysis a healthy state can exist only when the men and women who make it up lead clean, vigorous, healthy lives; when the children are so trained that they shall endeavor, not to shirk difficulties, but to overcome them; not to seek ease, but to know how to wrest triumph from toil and risk."

Worded pretentiously. All of this quote is rhetoric.

All it does is state: People should live healthy lives and children should be brought up strictly to achieve in life.

I counted 56 words on his part. Mine contains 16. His insight is not new-found nor profound.
Modified by Justacrat, Dec 24, 2013 7:23 PM
Viva la Vida.

Dec 24, 2013 6:59 PM
Ulquiorra1923 said:
Sakura-chan`s amazing adventure, reading it again, a masterpiece!

So. Manga. Did you not read the title of the post or are you trolling?

Dec 24, 2013 8:12 PM

i'm reading "The Interestings". Its a cross-generational type deal about jealousy, the arrival of AIDS, old school feminism, wealth, friendship, romantic issues, etc. At first i thought it sucked and then it became rather engrossing. Would recommend it to anyone seeking a more mature take on fiction and the lives of people as they grow through time

Dec 26, 2013 3:42 PM

The idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky...Well I only just started it but it seems pretty interesting...Dostoyevsky is my favorite writer by the way
I am also reading the Baccano light novels ...They're awesome of course .I'm on the third one

Dec 26, 2013 3:44 PM

moize said:
at the moment im reading "the talented mr ripley" by Patricia Highsmith, i highly recommend it if you're into physiological thrillers from the perspective of the murder

Amazing book! The movie was also nice

Dec 26, 2013 5:12 PM

I picked up Perdido Street Station by China Mieville when it was on sale a few months back.

I'm slowly getting into it.

The writing style and the way he describes things as well the things he is describing takes me a bit longer to comprehend and I find myself rereading some paragraphs over and over to try and picture it in my mind.
"Everyone who wants to discuss the fine points of semantics and imaginary differences between potentially unclear hypothetical cases can do it with their goldfish." -Tom Vogt

Pages (107) « First ... « 85 86 [87] 88 89 » ... Last »