Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 83 84 [85] 86 87 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jun 24, 2013 8:01 AM

"People's History of United States" by Howard Zinn.
not a typical textbook, but rather a more sociological approach to the history of the US. A goldmine of interesting facts.

As for fiction - James Joyce - "Finnegan's Wake'. my god, it's going to be a nightmare. but still, I want to finish this one.

Jun 24, 2013 8:35 AM

Finally started Game of Thrones after procrastinating for 5 months.

Jun 24, 2013 6:35 PM
Ghost in the API

Caballo de Troya 9. Finally the last book. If only the Bible were that interesting, there'd be a lot more Christians.

Jun 25, 2013 8:46 AM

Welp, I finally finished Fellowship of The Rings for the first time, it was quite good. Boromir was portrayed much better in the books.

Onto the Two Towers and just finished the first section, I thought it was okay. Not as strong as Fellowship. A lot of it felt kind of convoluted and I got really lost in the Helms Deep battle. Still good, but in this case I must say I prefer the movie (so far, just getting to the Frodo and Sam part).

Jun 25, 2013 10:13 AM

Finished The Da vinci code about a week ago
And I finally have time for A song of Ice and fire so I'm currently halfway through A game of thrones.
Insert wise quote here

Jun 26, 2013 12:34 PM

I'm 100 pages from being done with 'The Fault in Our Stars'. I have a very bad feeling about it....

Jun 27, 2013 7:37 PM

The Testament by John Grisham, The Taking by Dean Koontz, and the first novel of the Game of Thrones.

Jun 27, 2013 11:03 PM

Well, I'm rereading all of Wells' novels. Just finished The Time Machine and now going onto The Invisible Man. Guess what, did you know he's, and get this, INVISIBLE!? Kukuku.

In reality, any other Wells fans here? Anyone wanna circlejerk with me over how awesome Wells is?

modest_machine said:
"People's History of United States" by Howard Zinn.
not a typical textbook, but rather a more sociological approach to the history of the US. A goldmine of interesting facts.

As for fiction - James Joyce - "Finnegan's Wake'. my god, it's going to be a nightmare. but still, I want to finish this one.

Every James Joyce book is a nightmare. What did you expect?

Jun 28, 2013 2:03 AM

Just started One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I can't believe it took me so long to finally pick this book up.

Jun 28, 2013 2:00 PM

Finished the hunger games trilogy in 3 days. Wish I hadn't D:
~ Kiri

Jun 28, 2013 3:53 PM
Actually Linus

The Dragon Reborn-- Robert Jordan
Mistborn-- Brandon Sanderson

Just finished The Dragon Reborn this morning and, like its the first two, I thought it was great. Tomorrow I'm gonna stop by the book store to pick up book four.

I'm about 150 pages into Mistborn and so far it's pretty interesting-- nuff said.

Once I finish Mistborn, I think I'm going to start either Pride & Prejudice, Dracula, The Invisible Man, or Clan of the Cave Bear-- not sure which one to start first. They are all on my shelf collecting dust.

Jun 28, 2013 6:00 PM

This might be a good place to ask. Do any of you have any fantasy books you would recommend?

Jun 28, 2013 9:35 PM

Dchao said:
This might be a good place to ask. Do any of you have any fantasy books you would recommend?
I would say Game of Thrones (since it's the only fantasy book I've ever read) but I'm only 50 pages in and really confused.

Jun 28, 2013 9:59 PM
CarnivalOfRust said:
Just started One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I can't believe it took me so long to finally pick this book up.
In Spanish?

Jun 28, 2013 11:00 PM

Dchao said:

Lord of the Rings

KawanoMino said:
Dchao said:
I would say Game of Thrones (since it's the only fantasy book I've ever read) but I'm only 50 pages in and really confused.

Then you shouldn't be recommending it.

Jun 29, 2013 3:26 AM

Dchao said:

I read allot of fantasy these are some of my favorites
TSOIAF.
Kingkiller chronicles.
Realm of the Elderlings - Farseer trilogy is one of my favorites
The First Law + accompanying trilogy.
LoTR.
Everything by Brandon Sanderson -The way of kings and mistborn in particular.
The Black Company.
The Gentlemen Bastards.
American Gods.

Jun 29, 2013 4:58 AM

Oh a great topic. I'm currently reading,wait what.
*looks at the title* MANGA EXCLUDED?DAFUQ
Jokes aside, now that the tv show is done (for now) I'm currently looking for Game of Thrones third and fourth book so I can get more of Hodor. He is one sexy beast.

Jun 29, 2013 7:31 AM

Just picked up the actual novel No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai

So far i'm surprised at how well the manga and aoi bungaku have stayed truthful to the text. Very good read.

Jun 29, 2013 8:08 AM

LostOddity said:
Dchao said:

I read allot of fantasy these are some of my favorites
TSOIAF.
Kingkiller chronicles.
Realm of the Elderlings - Farseer trilogy is one of my favorites
The First Law + accompanying trilogy.
LoTR.
Everything by Brandon Sanderson -The way of kings and mistborn in particular.
The Black Company.
The Gentlemen Bastards.
American Gods.

Going to second Realm of the Elderlings, LoTR and The Gentlemen Bastards for some good fantasy reads.

I am re-reading LoTR myself and currently reading The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel.

who are you to change this world? silly boy.

Jun 29, 2013 12:05 PM

I'm currently reading:

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. (So far really enjoying it.)
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. (I'm enjoy it, yes.)
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. (Really not impressed by this one.)
The Tale of Raw Head and Bloody Bones by Jack Wolf. (Got it for free, and I'm not all that impressed.)

Since I still have several weeks left before classes begin, I'm hoping to squeeze a couple more novels, as well as reread a couple favourites.

Jun 30, 2013 12:40 PM

Devices and Desires by KJ Parker ...sounds kinky huh? but its really a story about revenge
Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson

Jun 30, 2013 12:46 PM

This is how you lose her by Junot Diaz

Jun 30, 2013 2:48 PM

I only really discovered how good reading is this year. Started by reading A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula K. Le Guin for the sake of reading some of the Earthsea novels, having been interested in a while ever since I watched Tales from Earthsea from Studio Ghibli, which was kind of a mediocre/passable film, which I saw being said was unfaithful to the quality of the books.

If you enjoyed Tales from Earthsea, I definitely recommend trying the books out. The story that inspired the movie is actually The Farthest Shore, which I haven't read, while the first two books in the so-called Earthsea Quartet actually follow Sparrowhawk, with A Wizard of Earthsea being his origin and the story of the scar on his face, and The Tombs of Atuan being one of his adventures, from the perspective of a girl he meets.

And then Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, because of a reference to it in Psycho-Pass, keeping up the anime-inspired choices.

And after that I read Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, followed by A Murder of Quality by John le Carré, and then I went on to read Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords, the second and third installments of the A Song of Ice and Fire series following A Game of Thrones, fueled by the fact that hype surrounding the TV show spoiled a major part of the third book while I was still reading Clash of Kings.

I'd definitely recommend reading the Game of Thrones books. Storm of Swords by far is the best of the lot, and a lot of great stuff in there still hasn't been adapted in the TV series. The downside is that I don't know a lot of people who read the books, so I have less people to squeal at when I get past the good bits, whereas if you were watching the TV series you could experience it alongside a whole fandom of others, watching it at around the same time as you are. So while I say the books are better and definitely worth your time, there's also good reasons for avoiding the books to stick with the TV series, if you enjoy the social side of watching it.

On break now after plowing through Storm of Swords in a fortnight, reading Call for the Dead by John le Carré. After that probably A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick, and then either moving onto A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin or Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

Jun 30, 2013 4:06 PM

Notturnos said:
I'm currently reading:

The Tale of Raw Head and Bloody Bones by Jack Wolf. (Got it for free, and I'm not all that impressed.)

Since I still have several weeks left before classes begin, I'm hoping to squeeze a couple more novels, as well as reread a couple favourites.

1Q84 is a slow burn. If you have read anything else by Murakami you know he moves at a glacial pace (at times) Stick with it if you can, its quite lovely.

Jul 1, 2013 8:44 AM

daintybiscuit said:
Notturnos said:
I'm currently reading:

1Q84 is a slow burn. If you have read anything else by Murakami you know he moves at a glacial pace (at times) Stick with it if you can, its quite lovely.

Yeah, I was hoping for something more from 1Q84, since I was quite fond of Kafka on the Shore and the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but... this one is quite the marathon.

Jul 1, 2013 9:50 AM

Finished re-reading 12Th Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher - Changes. Man, this book series rivals A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones in terms of its cruelty towards the reader and the writer's last name REALLY fits. That book still hurts as hell. Not every day you have

Possibly THE best contemporary-fantasy book series ever released, with lore and world setting that rivals the best of epics. Butcher starts small and then keeps revealing things that blow your mind. I can only hope HBO will make it into a tv show one day in the future.

Now only two more books and I will have re-read the whole series up till this point. And yet the wait for the 15th book, Skin Game, is not getting easier.

I can only hope that the first book in Butcher's new steam-punk-fantasy book series, Cinder Spires, will come out before that so I have SOMETHING to hold me over till the 15th Dresden Files Book.

Jul 1, 2013 12:06 PM

Notturnos said:
daintybiscuit said:
Notturnos said:
I'm currently reading:

Yeah, I was hoping for something more from 1Q84, since I was quite fond of Kafka on the Shore and the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but... this one is quite the marathon.

Where did you find Kafka on the Shore? Been looking for it :(

Jul 1, 2013 12:23 PM

lucjan said:
Notturnos said:
daintybiscuit said:
Notturnos said:
I'm currently reading:

Where did you find Kafka on the Shore? Been looking for it :(

Well depending on where you live, I simply went to the local bookstore and bought it there.

Jul 1, 2013 12:31 PM

Notturnos said:

Well depending on where you live, I simply went to the local bookstore and bought it there.

A couple years ago when I looked online it was no where. Now it's everywhere. Am I delusional? Anyway, going to buy it. If you don't mind how much did Murakami reference Soseki? That's honestly the only reason I'm interested in it. (I don't even like Murakami as a writer).

Jul 1, 2013 12:39 PM

lucjan said:
Notturnos said:

A couple years ago when I looked online it was no where. Now it's everywhere. Am I delusional? Anyway, going to buy it. If you don't mind how much did Murakami reference Soseki? That's honestly the only reason I'm interested in it. (I don't even like Murakami as a writer).

You're not delusional. I've read his stuff several years ago, and no one seemed to know him. Nowadays, that's all everyone seems to have on their reading list—
Ah, it's been a while since I last read either, but I don't remember Soseki being mentioned.

Jul 1, 2013 1:05 PM

Notturnos said:
lucjan said:
Notturnos said:

You're not delusional. I've read his stuff several years ago, and no one seemed to know him. Nowadays, that's all everyone seems to have on their reading list—
Ah, it's been a while since I last read either, but I don't remember Soseki being mentioned.

He's supposed to be mentioned but I see he doesn't have a big part in the story... I'm sheeding manly tears now...

Jul 3, 2013 8:13 PM

I'm currently reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It's not as thick as I expected it would be, but it is good so far.

Jul 4, 2013 1:47 AM
Currently reading A Dance With Dragons.

Don't know if I should be disappointed or ecstatic.

Jul 4, 2013 1:52 PM

People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry
"Surprise is an insubstantial blade, a sword worthless in war. It breaks when troops rally, it snaps when commanders hold the line, but fear never fades. So let the enemy know we come, let their fears defeat them as everything falls dark, as the worlds sun sets, as the city is wreathed in its final night. Let ten thousand howls promise ten thousand claws. The Night Lords are coming, and no soul that stands against us shall see another dawn"
-excerpt from The Tenebrous Path

Jul 6, 2013 12:21 AM

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
The Android's Dream by John Scalzi
Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

The last book I finished was 1Q84, and as mentioned above, it is a very slow-paced work, but very much worth the investment - ended up being one of the best books I've read in years. Kafka On the Shore is near the top of my "To Read" list.

Jul 7, 2013 6:55 PM

lucjan said:
Notturnos said:
lucjan said:
Notturnos said:

He's supposed to be mentioned but I see he doesn't have a big part in the story... I'm sheeding manly tears now...

I just finished re-reading Kafka on the Shore, and you need not worry, there are references to Soseki, although you're right, there isn't a HUGE part with him. But there are many references. The writing is beautiful as always for Murakami too. Definitely one of my favorites from him along with Norwegian Wood.

Also, I'm currently reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I've been itching to read this for years, and I finally got my hand on a copy (or rather, I finally went to a bookstore and bought a copy on my own).

Jul 10, 2013 12:55 PM
I was reading an article about the American Sniper and just ordered it. Let's see if it will be a good read.

Aug 12, 2013 7:44 PM
Just finished the latest novel by Andre Dubus II, Dirty Love. It was brilliant. Thank goodness for ARCs!

Not sure what book to read next. I own so many, it's overwhelming.

Aug 12, 2013 11:25 PM

anisukidayo said:

Also, I'm currently reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I've been itching to read this for years, and I finally got my hand on a copy (or rather, I finally went to a bookstore and bought a copy on my own).

Oh, I so loved that book, well actually I'm pretty fanatic about almost everything Dostoyevsky has written. The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov are probably my favourite books by him.

Aug 12, 2013 11:55 PM

Terraminas said:
Currently reading A Dance With Dragons.

Don't know if I should be disappointed or ecstatic.

both at the same time

Rhaegar fought valiantly,
Rhaegar fought nobly,
Rheagar died.

Aug 15, 2013 5:15 AM
INFERNO- Dan Brown
so far its spectacular, as most of his work always is

THE UNFINISHED TALES OF MIDDLE EARTH - J.R.R. Tolkien
this is the last book written by Tolkien that i have left to read before i complete his works,
i am in a dilema as i want more of his material and i know i wont be getting any
so im trying to go slowly with this book, however it is so intriguing i want to read more and more
oh dear,
what shall i do? *sighs*

Aug 15, 2013 5:22 AM

the secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel-enchantress by Micheal Scott:
it's the last book in the series, but till now it's not really exciting. I hope it will get better soon.

brotherband-the hunters by John Flanagan:
really like this series, it's the third book and it hasn't dissappointed me. not as good as his ranger's apprentice series in my opinion, but a good read:)

Aug 19, 2013 5:30 PM

I lovee reading novels as well as manga
Well I didn't recently finish this but I lovee the Harry Pottterr series :3

I currently finished The Son of Neptune - By Rick Riordan.
I'm now reading The Mark of Athena also by Rick Riordan.

I love the Percy Jackson series and Hero's of Olympus Series c:

Can't wait for House of Hades to come :D

Aug 25, 2013 9:50 AM

Currently reading When the Wind Blows by James Patterson. My sister's a fan and recently bought me three books by the author. It's the first James Patterson book I've read, and so far, so damn good.

Aug 25, 2013 4:19 PM
The Bible, I've read it before, but I plan on reading it many times over

Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan, the book is very enjoyable, and provides a cogent discussion of where Carl Sagan thinks we should aim our space program. Dr. Sagan tells us all, we are here, in this point of pale light, a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. He starts the book with this revelation. But with its insignificance, it's also the respiratory of all our potential. Dr. Sagan says, we are still capable of greatness if we do not destroy ourselves first

Aug 28, 2013 5:41 AM

I'm reading Sword Art Online novel (not manga). Even though I've already seen the anime and know what will happen, I still find myself enjoying reading it, in a way, re-experiencing the fun of SAO over again. The anime leaves out bits and pieces here and there, as well as change a few small things so you can get more from reading it as well. It definitely is worth the read.

Aug 28, 2013 10:46 AM

Reading(or rather was reading) The Gunslinger by Stephen King, the first book of the dark tower series. Honestly, I expected a lot more of it. It was by no means bad, but I was underwhelmed and called a hiatus in the last quarter part of the book.

Aug 29, 2013 7:02 AM

Reading Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. Can't get into it. I should take a day or two off to just dive in. I read it in my cramped parisian metro. Like it was some page turner. It really is good, though. Deep, psychological, emotional, precise and poetic, confusing and bright, moving.
Head Over Heels

Aug 30, 2013 11:35 PM

I'm reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Currently on book four Wizard and Glass. I've never read any of King's work before and I am really enjoying his writing style. I find his dialogue quite bland but love the way he describes everything. Outside of that I love the world he has set up so far so unique and enthralling.

Aug 30, 2013 11:55 PM

burntlettuce said:
I'm reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Currently on book four Wizard and Glass. I've never read any of King's work before and I am really enjoying his writing style. I find his dialogue quite bland but love the way he describes everything. Outside of that I love the world he has set up so far so unique and enthralling.

It isn't exactly like his usual stuff but if you enjoy the Dark Tower you should definitely check out The Talisman and its sequel - Black House. They also tie into the Dark Tower, as do many other King novels.

Pages (107) « First ... « 83 84 [85] 86 87 » ... Last »