Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

Pages (107) « First ... « 80 81 [82] 83 84 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Feb 2, 2013 7:50 PM

Katekyo! It's a yaoi... >///<
.... >////< Don't look at me.

Feb 3, 2013 1:32 AM

JozetteTheJoker said:
Katekyo! It's a yaoi... >///<

Manga is excluded from this forum >///< but yeah, Katekyo! is great!

Feb 3, 2013 1:35 AM

the_seventh_l said:
This thread makes me sadface. Mockingjay was my favorite book of the whole trilogy.

Why? it was terrible
The only good thing about it was part 3 where things actually happen.
part 1 and 2 of Mockingjay was just the samething.

Feb 24, 2013 2:40 AM

Dubliners by James Joyce

Give me a few years and I'l have finished Finnegan's Wake and be a gibbering wreck of a human being.

Feb 24, 2013 8:00 AM

Raikenzera said:
Currently reading "The Passage" By Justin Cronin. It's kind of hard to explain what this book is about since I'm only a quarter of the way in, but essentially it's about a girl named Amy who was basically abandoned by her mother at a young age. She's now being chased by a secret government organization seeking to cure incurable diseases and even extend the human lifespan through the taming of some unknown virus.

It's a longer read, more for a mature audience, but it's really interesting nonetheless.

great book. i was sort of obsessed with it. good luck with "the twelve"

Feb 24, 2013 9:42 AM

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Feb 24, 2013 12:26 PM
alexx_310 said:
the_seventh_l said:
This thread makes me sadface. Mockingjay was my favorite book of the whole trilogy.

Why? it was terrible
The only good thing about it was part 3 where things actually happen.
part 1 and 2 of Mockingjay was just the samething.

We can agree to disagree, then.

Mar 3, 2013 10:34 PM
Textbook in my case: Physical Chemistry for the Chemical and Biological Sciences - Raymond Chang.

Mar 4, 2013 3:08 AM

Reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan again. And recently bought Sherlock Holmes, will read soon. And thinking to get Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book two. :D

何も期待するな//list//twitter//osu//

Mar 4, 2013 3:13 AM

Oh yes, need to get back to Dubliners and Ulysses some day. Finnegan's wake will wait though.

Almost finished with 4 Sisters, by Tanizaki. Had good moments, but was kind of boring overall. I enjoyed Svastika more.

Mar 4, 2013 3:24 AM

I am reading "The Girl Next Door"

Mar 5, 2013 4:10 PM

Just finished reading The Goddess Inheritance by Aimée Carter (last book of The Goddess Test series). I was in a book hangover for a day and now, I've started reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
Maybe next time.

Mar 5, 2013 7:58 PM

Currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Modified by Apples, Mar 6, 2013 4:10 PM

Mar 5, 2013 8:37 PM
Actually Linus

I'm about halfway done with Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It's one of the many books my dad gave me to read and so far it's been a pretty good scifi/space-opera.

I also just picked up two books, Dune and Dracula, at the book store and will start reading those pretty soon.

Mar 6, 2013 5:31 AM

I'm currently reading The March of Folly by Barbara Tuchman and it's a really interesting read so far. Previously all I really read were novels, but I think I could get into reading more history, especially about eras that I'm interested in.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Vietnam War portion of this book which I'm told covers about half the book. I only recently realised how little I know about the Vietnam War and I'm very keen to get into it ^_^

Mar 6, 2013 3:59 PM

I'm reading Pretty Little Liars: Twisted. I love that series <3

Mar 7, 2013 12:36 AM

Hazuki10 said:
Raikenzera said:
Currently reading "The Passage" By Justin Cronin. It's kind of hard to explain what this book is about since I'm only a quarter of the way in, but essentially it's about a girl named Amy who was basically abandoned by her mother at a young age. She's now being chased by a secret government organization seeking to cure incurable diseases and even extend the human lifespan through the taming of some unknown virus.

It's a longer read, more for a mature audience, but it's really interesting nonetheless.

I'm actually reading that one too :3 I'm about halfway and really excited to see how it ends.

I finished reading that a few years ago. about 1/24th into the sequel. Obviously can't say anything about the ending. Maybe if I could talk to someone that has already finished it.

Mar 7, 2013 2:52 AM
A Song of Ice and Fire.
After watching both seasons of Game of Thrones, i just had to read the novels to see what happens after due to my impatience. Finished the first 2 books in a couple of weeks, now mid way through of the 3rd book "A Clash of Kings"

Mar 7, 2013 3:08 AM

Recently read 'Air'- book 2 of Akasha Series by Terra Harmony.
Planning to read the 3rd book- 'Fire'.
Only that science is a great and the best of all sciences,
the study of which frees man from all kinds of miseries.

Mar 7, 2013 8:25 AM

The graphic novel Blankets by Craig Thompson. Not as good as his more recent work Habibi but still a wonderful read.

Mar 7, 2013 8:40 AM

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. I am not focused entirely on it, mostly reading a short story a day or between novels. I just finished A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny, which was great, the story is narrated by a dog, it very imaginative, funny and highly entertaining. This is the book that convinced me to read more Zelazny since after I finished Lord of Light, a few years ago, I was not that eager to return to a Zelazny novel.

Now I am in the mood for some epic fantasy, but I am not yet sure which one...probably a novel written by N.K. Jemisin or I might start the Vlad Taltos series. We'll see.

Mar 7, 2013 9:24 AM

Phantom-Brave12 said:
Hazuki10 said:
Raikenzera said:

I'm actually reading that one too :3 I'm about halfway and really excited to see how it ends.

I finished reading that a few years ago. about 1/24th into the sequel. Obviously can't say anything about the ending. Maybe if I could talk to someone that has already finished it.

didn't read back on the thread, but i've finished the sequel if you need spoilers or something lol

Mar 7, 2013 9:50 AM
Ghost flower by michelle jaffe. I love her other books and this one is really good so far. I need to finish it soon.

Mar 7, 2013 12:22 PM

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

Finally, a philosophy that preaches laziness! (Technically it doesn't but I don't care.)

Mar 8, 2013 11:26 AM

Pride and Prejudice.

Wow. I had no idea it's be this good. I did have a lot of trouble getting into it when I started. I think I'll be reading the rest of Austen's novels.

Mar 8, 2013 4:26 PM

"Dexter by Design" by Jeff Lindsay.

Fourth in the Dexter series. Books are way better than the TV series, and I just love the character of Dexter.

Mar 8, 2013 5:29 PM

GloriousHawk said:
Pride and Prejudice.

Wow. I had no idea it's be this good. I did have a lot of trouble getting into it when I started. I think I'll be reading the rest of Austen's novels.

It's probably the only classic one which I like the most.
Only that science is a great and the best of all sciences,
the study of which frees man from all kinds of miseries.

Mar 13, 2013 12:09 AM

This weekend I finished The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

Now I've started Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland and Through the Looking glass by Lewis Carroll. I've always wanted to read this original story, so I'm really excited for this book!

Mar 14, 2013 5:24 AM

Finished A Storm of Swords today. That ending was kinda scary. On to the next one...

Mar 15, 2013 1:52 AM
Jane Eyre.
And in English to boot. Really isn't that easy of a read.
So far so good. Although I'm kind of starting to suspect all the Bronte sisters were the equivalent to todays ''lonely women with too many cats''
Modified by removed-user, Mar 16, 2013 8:19 AM

Mar 16, 2013 4:27 AM

I am reading Draculas. If you are into gory horror then this is for you. I am still close to the beginning so I am not yet sure what to think of it, but I can say that it's quite fast paced, the blood bath start early and it does not seem to take a break.

Mar 16, 2013 8:18 AM
Sanji Fangirl

Reading a book that is a collection of short stories about animals C:
Very cute!

Mar 18, 2013 3:54 AM

Terraminas said:
Jane Eyre.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I've nearly finished Pride and Prejudice. I'm not sure what to read next. Maybe the Foundation Trilogy and some of Asimov's Robot books.

Mar 18, 2013 4:11 AM

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I've nearly finished Pride and Prejudice. I'm not sure what to read next. Maybe the Foundation Trilogy and some of Asimov's Robot books.

You can try Goodreads for this. It's a website similar to MAL but for books. You can see reviews, join clubs, keep a list and find new things to read based on your read/currently reading/to read selection.

Terraminas said:
Jane Eyre.
And in English to boot. Really isn't that easy of a read.
So far so good. Although I'm kind of starting to suspect all the Bronte sisters were the equivalent to todays ''lonely women with too many cats''
GloriousHawk said:
Terraminas said:
Jane Eyre.

I think many of the books in that era were like this so it's not really something related just to the Bronte sisters. Jane Eyre is a great book. I read two times so far and it never ceases to enjoy me.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Mar 18, 2013 4:32 AM

The mad ship, book two of the liveship traders by Robin Hobb, brilliant series, read it 3 times now.

Brilliant series, well worth it.

Mar 18, 2013 2:16 PM

Contact - Carl Sagan

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to the ALIENS yet.

Mar 21, 2013 4:52 AM

EradicatE said:
A Song of Ice and Fire.
After watching both seasons of Game of Thrones, i just had to read the novels to see what happens after due to my impatience. Finished the first 2 books in a couple of weeks, now mid way through of the 3rd book "A Clash of Kings"

You wont be dissapointed but the change of pace from 3 to 4 hits hard but still a damn good book ive read all 5 three times and the are still gripping as they were the 1st time

And season 3 on march 31 im so exited.
Rhaegar fought valiantly,
Rhaegar fought nobly,
Rheagar died.

Mar 21, 2013 7:59 AM

englishfury said:
EradicatE said:
A Song of Ice and Fire.

You wont be dissapointed but the change of pace from 3 to 4 hits hard but still a damn good book ive read all 5 three times and the are still gripping as they were the 1st time

It's always nice to find game of thrones/George's fans on the internet.

Currently reading a short story called " Baily's Irish dream", it's nice enough..not great though.
Insert wise quote here

Mar 21, 2013 8:50 AM
Freakeconomics by Steven Levitt.
It is a book explaining and taking the mick out of Economics. An example of a chapter that made me laugh is how crime decreased during Detroit due to abortion being legalised when everybody assumed it was due to improved policing.

Mar 22, 2013 6:58 AM

Manual of the Warrior of Light - Paulo Coelho
A got sick and now that I have a lot of free time, I decided to start reading some books that I didn't get the chance until now. Must say, that this is the second book read by this author - the first is Veronika decides to die, read like 4 years back. It's a nice collection of short teachings for those who seek a way to pursuit their dreams.

"Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils"
Vicious. Cowboy Bebop

Mar 22, 2013 8:12 AM

Agency: Law and Principles By Roderick Munday. WHEN THE FUCK WILL THIS TORTURE END!

I've finished Pride and Prejudice. I can see why it's praised so much.
Anyway, I've started Neuromancer by William Gibson. This should be fun.

Mar 24, 2013 8:55 AM
Just started Bad Science by by Ben Goldacre. Pretty interesting so far. Love the debunking experiments.

Mar 24, 2013 8:56 AM

Environmental Science
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote

Mar 25, 2013 6:33 PM

Rereading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Mar 26, 2013 2:01 AM

World War Z

Mar 26, 2013 3:20 AM

Dan Brown's Angels and demons & another short story "Czech mate" by Kate Thomas.
Insert wise quote here

Mar 26, 2013 3:25 AM

OneHellOfAuser said:
englishfury said:
EradicatE said:
A Song of Ice and Fire.

It's always nice to find game of thrones/George's fans on the internet.

Currently reading a short story called " Baily's Irish dream", it's nice enough..not great though.

Yeah i agree g.r.r.m fans are everywhere.
Rhaegar fought valiantly,
Rhaegar fought nobly,
Rheagar died.

Mar 26, 2013 3:47 AM

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami and rereading House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski.

Mar 26, 2013 4:03 AM

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. It's 19th century so some things are heavily formally marked, but at the same there is something really subtle and in-depth about his character. I can understand why it's a classic.

Mar 26, 2013 9:13 AM

Sort of on-and-off reading Guy Debord's "Society of the Spectacle". I love it, and he's so right (it's a Marxist evaluation of things like media and industry, which constitute the "spectacle", which is an idealised and non-existent presentation of reality). Iit heavily ties in with Marx and Engels' theories of false consciousness and commodity fetishism, so I want to get ahold of as much literature about that as I can, just to get more familiar with some of the terminology.

Pages (107) « First ... « 80 81 [82] 83 84 » ... Last »