Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 6, 2010 7:18 AM
May 2009
Shinsengumi. Aslong as its in it and its done well, and the characters are portrayed well. It is good.
Jul 6, 2010 10:02 AM

Apr 2009
This series was seriously boring. It gets 2 points for good-looking guys and Okita, and 1 point for a story that wasn't /complete/ shit, and 1 point for everything else. Actually the contrast between the good-looking characters and the background characters was sort of awkward, and boring-ass Miki Shinichiro voicing Hijikata was expectedly boring.
I'll probably watch the sequel for more of the good-looking guys. Damn it.
Jul 6, 2010 11:51 AM

Apr 2010
Tsk, Chizuru, that girl needs to grow some brains, reinforcements aren't coming already, they're being shot anyway!

The plot was abit too extreme, Chizuru, Chizuru, how many people have to die/get injured trying to protect such a useless character? All she's doing is scream and when she draws her sword she never uses it such a cowardly character.

Kazama, seriously, horns? HAHAHAHA crap.

Yamazaki...I'm sick of people dying, but at least he didn't die for Chizuru, I'm happy for that.

If it's anything, I'm watching this for Toshi-san, Okita-san, Saitou-san. I'll be waiting for the next season, but if that Chizuru still stays the same coward she is I'm not guaranteeing that some casualties will go flying here and there.
Jul 7, 2010 6:31 AM

Feb 2008
I'm not certain i really want to bother with the second season since Yukimura didn't die...
Jul 7, 2010 9:26 AM

Nov 2007
the entire show made no sense to me. i watched it all at once (rather than waiting for eps to air) at the end and it felt like none of the episodes had any coherencey except for the whole rasetsu thing
Jul 10, 2010 5:38 AM

Jan 2009
It wasn't horrible, but nowhere near great either. The animation and fights were pretty cool, whereas the story was lacking.
Jul 10, 2010 7:58 AM

May 2008
Yamazaki ;___; The ending scene made me cry so bad that I ended up in my room so that no one could see me >_> He's the only reason why I watched this series even though he just had few screen time but he gets my attention. Its sad that he won't be there in the second season anymore.

Agh! Chizuru is useless but that doesn't mean I don't like her.I like her and I hope she fights or do atleast something in the second season not just stand there and do nothing.

And they better bring Kaoru back because I'm in need for more trappu <3 anyways this episode is okay but too fast so i'm looking forward of the second season.

Love is filled with mystery
Jul 11, 2010 10:33 AM

May 2009
i liked everything about the anime except the end. but i guess everything about her father and twin brother will be answered in the 2nd season
Jul 11, 2010 11:36 PM
Jul 2010
***THESE ARE ONLY OPINIONS***

My first impression on hakuouki anime was "Oh great! It's an anime made after kazuki-yone-sama's game Hakuouki, it includes bad-ass samurai that will kick ass!"

But god was I wrong, I could barely get through the first episode.

-Chizuru is simply pathetic
-(I am biased) Everything that kazama says is so...so... true
-Art is not my taste
-Bad storyline, hard for someone who does not enjoy shojo to get into it
-Makes the game look bad
Jul 11, 2010 11:41 PM
Jul 2010
supersayen said:
Even the battle scene are crap, I've seen better. They're tried so hard in the last 2 episode to bring us good fights but they failed. And the end was so crappy, the oni suddently gets raped by whats-his-name-black-hair-purple-eye because he took that red liquid, was this oni suppose to be godly powerful with all his confidence and awsome looks ? What the hell was with this guy suddenly showing beside whats-his-name-black-hair-purple-eye, I didn't get this part. The female lead is so annoying. Using her as the narrator would make more sense in a novel or a book, but in anime it's so stupid to put a cry baby as a main character.

Silver bullets can rape those zombie like samurai ? lol yay for originality. basically Hakuoku is a random vampire/demon/whatever story with japonese history

Don't rape the oni! XD
Jul 13, 2010 4:52 PM

Aug 2008
chizuru oh chizuru.... u've drived me crazy for 12 episodes..

the moment inoue offered to go with her, he got death flag...
i knew it, he will be dead protecting this useless-weak-do-nothing-but-screaming female character...
meh. i won't even bother with the 2nd season. the story is not too bad, but chizuru is too much for me to handle -_-"
Jul 15, 2010 4:51 AM

May 2010
i think it ended abruptly. although, I could kind of tell it would from around episode 8, when I realised it was aonly a 12-episode series. T_T

Jul 17, 2010 6:55 PM

Jun 2010
i liked the anime a alot
so i cant wait for the 2nd season :3
Jul 20, 2010 6:19 PM
Jul 2010
The ending was really sad. I didn't want Yamazaki to die (TT__TT)

But I have to say, overall I am a bit disappointed with the series, I just don't feel like there is enough character development to really make you feel for them. But that is just my opinion and I never played the game so I guess I am missing out on a lot. Never the less, I LOVE all the bishies in the show^^ and I will watch season 2 just for that~
Im not a fan of Chizuru but am interested to learn more about her.

Hope I haven't offended anyone, I totally respect peoples different opinions and just wanted to share mine too (^__^)
Jul 22, 2010 11:26 AM
Oct 2008
Wow Chizuru is probably the most stupid and worthless anime character ever. Sure she has to play damsel in distress but seriously?! 'People are fighting! I can't just watch! I should join and get in the way'
...and her only dialogue is: -insertname-saaaaaaaan!!!!!!! *cries* *cries*

Man, she should just die and let her bad-ass crossdressing twin brother be the main character.

I only made it through the whole series because of the bishies. -_- How pathetic. Only Hajime-san and Okita-san made it bearable.
Jul 27, 2010 11:05 PM
Feb 2010
I CAN NOT believe that they would kill off Yamazaki like that. There goes the epic ninja-doctor. I mean, why wasn't EVERYONE carrying around a vial of that oni potion like Hijitaka did? Yamazaki's death so could've been prevented. /rant

Aug 2, 2010 11:16 PM

Apr 2009
yamazaki... ;__;
Aug 8, 2010 6:25 PM
Aug 2008
Take out Chizuru and this series would be soooo much better.
Aug 16, 2010 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished watching it. I loved the whole season. It's just great.
I'm a male, I don't care if it's based on a otome game. The characters are great and the story too.
Lots of people complain about Chizuru, but it's fine by me.

Give me the second season, now!

Shinsengumi ftw!
Aug 24, 2010 12:39 AM
Jan 2008
I loved this anime and I cried three times in this episode, I am so lame. Anyways bring on the second season I cannot wait!
Sep 2, 2010 10:57 AM

Feb 2009
xiiaoqi---x3 said:
superb episode . though i diden't cry , (i'm kinda emotionless sometimes...) but i do feel very sad when gen-san passed away . i mean, from my point of view, he was like a father in the shinsengumi, and th rest are the child,(dont ask me whoose the mother . O_O)but now he's gone, it's like children losing its father, and it is terriably painful in the heart . i'm sure it left a deep scar on everyone's heart , especially toshizo...
R.I.P, gen-sen ...

I agree with you :(

Overall I enjoyed this series. The art is good and the guys were hot! :D
I look forward to the second season and hopefully Chizuru will use more oni abilities~
Sep 6, 2010 7:00 PM

Jun 2009
Wow that was a good one lafuria but i enjoyed the show very much.
Oct 22, 2010 3:03 PM

Dec 2008
NOOOOOO, YAMAZAKI-SAN!!!!!!
The rest of my day is ruined!! Damn you, Hijikata for losing your head!!!!! I want a divorce!!!
Oct 31, 2010 10:16 AM

Aug 2010
I liked the series all in all actually!
I wasn't really watching it for an amazing plot, just because there were so many bishies lol
Well I don't like Chizuru... I tried and tried to like this girl, and I was almost succeeding until the last episode. God she's pitiful. So many people put themselves on the line for her and she can't even do anything. Does she feel responsible at all? One thing I don't understand is why she attends their meetings. She's there when they are supposed to be discussing strategies and private matters. Why is that? Is that how the Shinsengumi just lets anyone so easily in one their meetings. Stupid.
A lot of people are saying she's going to end up with Hijikata. I hope not! How old is she? 13? Hijikata looks to be 20-something. She's too young for anyone but heisuke imo.
I have to say though, Sano, Saitou, Okita really made me enjoy this anime!
I hope Yamazaki's death haunts hijikata for the rest of his life.

I'll give it a 9/10
Opi-chanNov 2, 2010 11:44 AM
Dec 8, 2010 7:27 AM

May 2010
i loved this anime :D
i cant belive i watched all 12 series in one day xD
poor Yamazaki T.T
Dec 8, 2010 8:38 AM
May 2009
Brilliant end to the series, Kinda pissed that Hijikata didn't get to kill Kazama. But oh well. Overall loved it. And the second season isn't disappointing.
Dec 20, 2010 1:26 AM

Feb 2010
Hmeecill said:
I really like the series, but I was kinda looking forward to seeing Chizuru fight once in a whole. I think the writers for the anime wanted to keep the same damsel in distress vibe that comes with most otome games, so I was half expecting her to not fight for herself.

I'm a Chizuru fan for sure, but haha, did anybody go "awwww" when Hijikata showed up to fight against Kazama instead of her? I think the problem is that they (shinsengumi) will always be protecting her even if she wanted to do something badass. XP

Haha, that's true. The guys always show up when she starts to draw her sword. They should give her a chance to prove that she can take care of herself. I'm a Chizuru's fan as well <3

Yamazaki and Inoue's deaths made me cry~ T__T
The fighting scene between Hijikata and Kazama was good. Now that Hijikata (the leader) drank the Ochimizu, I guess the whole Shinsengumi will consists of Rasetsu unit only since they're stronger. They just need to overcome the silver bullet problem now -.-

Glad there's second season! ^^
crimsoncrystDec 20, 2010 1:31 AM
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Dec 26, 2010 6:09 PM

Dec 2009
I have just finished this show today. I know people (especially most boys--as far as I know) will not like it because of the hawt bishies or because the plot is lacking.
I like this for a change because I'm tired of shows with girl harems and there being like only one guy. This is like the reverse, and it's awesome (also since I'm a girl). I don't mind the other anime meant for boys, but this is nice for a change.
Overall I liked the show, but the last episode was sad.
Gonna go watch the second season now, ne!
Jan 4, 2011 5:47 AM

May 2009
The first 3 episodes were a major pain to watch - each episode felt over an hour long. Remarkably, I easily marathoned through the rest of the series and it wasn't so bad. And bishounen Shinsengumi seem to have grown on me.

I still think Chizuru is one of the worst characters anyone could have conceived, and I find it an insult to have the Shinsengumi depicted as moronic enough having lost their lives over Chizuru. Once I got over that and concentrated on the story, I liked it enough to want to watch the sequel.
Oct 26, 2011 10:20 AM

Apr 2008
This is an average show. There was some good fighting, but I felt that Kazama vs Hijikata looked a little blurry? Was that just me?

Inoue and Yamazaki made me sad...
Dec 20, 2011 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
The final episode is my favorite episode out of the whole season 1.
Awfully emotional but awesomely done.

Off to S2 :')
Jul 19, 2012 12:56 AM

Oct 2011
I don't like some characters appearance because they look exactly the same like the ones from VK (Vampire Knight). This anime could be better, if Hijikata and the others wouldn't take the Ochimizu and became Resatsu. Only few people left to become ones? 6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2012 7:28 PM

Jan 2012
This was a little anticlimatic sereis for me. I know a Little Bit about the Historical events that happen during this time period in Japan, enough to know by episode 5 or so who is going to be owned in the last episode. Very sad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2012 6:04 PM

Jan 2012
It was interesting till the end. However it was very sad about Yamazaki.

Dec 15, 2012 2:17 PM

Sep 2012
Yamazaki! D:
I was hoping Chizuru would fight them until Kazama came...
Feb 27, 2013 2:03 AM

Feb 2012
Inoue-san, yamazaki-san You will be missed!!

Awesome episode guy! I cried throughout the entire episode!! DX Why'd they have to die?!

See ya in Edo next season. I'm going to watch the next season and then hop backward and watch the prequel.
I'm a Mangaka in training watch me as i make my way to the top!!

Wanted: A sensei to teach me and push me in the right direction for being a mangaka
Feb 27, 2013 2:08 AM

Feb 2012
HikariSakura321 said:
I say in my own opinion, this anime was a amazing.
For those who thought the anime was boring because of it's slow-paced, are impatient.
Because I was patient enough, I was able to enjoy the anime.
The animation may not be the best, but the art is great.
The plot was suppose to be finding Chizuru's dad, but there were things interfering causing the viewer to stray from the plot.
Poor Chizuru. She's the protagonist, so many people thought she would kick butt or something. Because of that, many people find it annoying how she is the 'hero'.
Btw these are my opinion, and mine only.
Those who have a problem with me, or thinks something wrong with me, that is just them. There is nothing wrong with me, because I don't see anything wrong.
Don't post anything that will cause a bigger problem.
If you find this post hypocritical, then I apologize of the annoyance.

In my opinion i agree with all your opinions. And i actually think that even though chizuru didn't "kick butt" she's still a good hero. Because you don't have to be aggressive or butt kicking to be hero. The main hero feature is that you have a BIG heart! and she has loads of that.
I'm a Mangaka in training watch me as i make my way to the top!!

Wanted: A sensei to teach me and push me in the right direction for being a mangaka
Jun 11, 2013 7:17 AM

Mar 2013
Chizuru was so goddamn irritating. Inoue DIES so she can escape and SHE JUST STANDS THERE. DURR.

Kazama's oni form was badass.

Well, roll on next season I guess. I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about it.
YandereYuuyaJun 11, 2013 7:21 AM
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Jun 23, 2013 5:58 AM
Jul 2018
Yamazaki died. Too many died.
Well. Off to watch the second season.
7/10
Oct 28, 2013 8:53 AM

Feb 2011
Overall, I really liked the series. This episode was probably my favorite. The fight scene with Hijikata and Kazuma was beautiful, and as depressing as it was, I liked how they handled Inoue and Yamazaki's deaths. *sniff* Yamazaki...

Ahem... time for season 2.
Jan 1, 2014 10:51 PM

Aug 2013
Part of this anime really pisses me off, the tragic deaths, Chizuru's uselessness - ..... she can't even swing a sword even if time calls for it, and how the Shinsengumi was fairly weak - for a killer group, they seem to get pushed around a lot so I couldn't really like the anime that much,

but on the other hand, this been a really good anime, beautiful opening and endings, splendid art, good exciting plot with the medicine tearing up the Shinsengumi inside, and outside why there are enemies after Chizuru.

My biggest regret probably be the lack of any real romances, cause the Shinsengumi too busy treating Chizuru like a guy, or comrade, rather than a girl, but it is understandable given the situation, she is dressed up in men's clothes after all .....
Mar 16, 2014 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
Pros:
- Good action
- Great atmosphere: it was mostly a dark story with a good amount of some light hearted moments.
- Lack of romance: it's either all the guys pining for her (Brothers Conflict style) or none and none was the right choice. However, the best scenario was more romantic exposure to Toshi and her since he's the "main" guy I think?
- Good development for each guy: I liked seeing each warrior's worries (I'm sorry for that pun) and how they each had a distinct personality and such.
- Consistent pacing: Every episode managed to interest me and kept me watching to the next ep

Cons:
- Main girl: See, she was tolerable at first but after six episodes, she still had to be protected whenever something happened even when she had so much free time to actually learn how to fight. She's so vulnerable that she always gets herself into trouble.
- Vampire subplot: That made the pacing a bit ruined tbh. It was not explained enough.

I'll say 7/10 for now

Will watch second season as well as the prequel.
May 28, 2014 6:00 PM

Jan 2010
I was ready to murder my laptop with this episode because of Chizuru. I've been really understanding about how unbelievably useless she is because the setting was ancient Japan and women were pretty much just ornaments back then... but GOD. Standing there like a fkng idiot watching people die and not running away when told to is just fking... I wanna murder her. I swear. I know this was originally an otome game because I've played it already but the anime would've been so much better without her. Fkng useless.
Jun 14, 2014 2:08 AM

Dec 2012
That was a fairly emotional episode. Nothing but respect for Inoue and I felt my eyes water a bit at Yamazaki's death, he was probably one of my favorite characters. The battle between Kazama and Toshi was intense and I feel like they did a good job with this episode. Particularly when Toshi says that the age of swords and spears is coming to an end. For warriors that take such an extraordinary amount of pride in their livelihoods I can only imagine how daunting a feeling that must have been.

Overall I have mixed feelings about this series. On one hand I really enjoyed the historical setting. Unfortunately I couldn't follow the events beyond what I learned in Rurouni Kenshin, but this time period in Japan has always piqued my interests. The battles were a treat and fairly well choreographed (not to say shoujo can never deliver, just I don't usually expect good fights when watching them). It took some time, but I eventually warmed up to the story and characters as well and I'm glad that I ended this season on a completely opposite note of how I started it. I now actually want to see what happens to these characters and care about how they'll face this situation.

On the other hand, I feel that this had its fair share of problems. I wasn't a particular fan of the Rasetsu story line and would have preferred it to remain realistic, but I won't write it off until I see the complete story. The story tended to jump all over the place (all of that time skipping) and it took a while for it to actually set the scene for a more centralized plot. But I think my biggest problem is Chizuru. I was really hoping to avoid a heroine like her. Although cute, she served a very bare minimal role as the Shinsengumi mascot and half of her lines were "yes!" and "Thank you!"

Well regardless I think I can hang in there for another 10 episodes. 6/10
Jun 14, 2014 12:50 PM

Jul 2012
Goddammit...I wanna lower my score to a 6 after the crappy prequel and disappointing sequel LOL
Mar 24, 2015 7:51 AM
Nov 2014
i found this series rather frustrating. i enjoyed the animation, sword fights and banter, but for me it lacked an emotional punch, partly because the search for Chizuru's father was abandoned. that would have added a human element that was much needed amongst all the devils, vampires and politics.

frankly my main frustration was with Chizuru herself. what a useless individual. couldn't the writers make her a little more independent? didn't this span over 4 years? yet in that time, she remained the same size, her fighting skills, despite living full time with professional swordsmen, remained...well, i don't know what her skills were because although she had a sword and we were told she was trained in a dojo, whenever there was a crisis, her sword would remain unsheathed while she whimpered and waited for the men to save her. or she just fainted. she is meant to have some medical training, but she never read the notebook full of cures. her treatments began and ended with wrapping wounds in cloth.

she remained with the Shinsengumi, putting them at additional risk, because she has a crush. surely it would have made more sense to go off with sen and learn more about her abilities and heritage? then she might actually have been able to help.

i feel her character was very poorly written and given she has such a major role i have to mark down the series because of it. 6/10.
Jan 12, 2016 10:04 AM

Feb 2015
Yamazaki, I'm going to miss him! (╥﹏╥)
Feb 14, 2016 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
I enjoyed the show, but I wish there was less supernatural stuff in it.

7/10
May 15, 2016 9:34 PM

May 2013
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Yamazaki is one of my faves Q____Q I'm so sad </3 he's so cute when he smiled for the last time TT^TT RIP my Yama bb
Jun 2, 2016 1:02 AM
Jan 2016
If this is going to turn out like akame ga kill then I need to put a box of tissues in my room.T_T
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakuouki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Jinjos - May 1, 2010

67 by Dywei »»
Jan 27, 7:33 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Plate - Apr 3, 2010

201 by abystoma2 »»
Jan 9, 1:30 AM

» * SPOIL * Am I the only one who want Chizuru dead ????

Ibuki-Ryunosuke - Sep 29, 2014

18 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Jan 4, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Order of watching Hakuoki?

WinnDixieX3 - Sep 21, 2014

9 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
Nov 10, 2023 2:46 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - May 29, 2010

68 by Josie5 »»
Sep 20, 2023 11:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.