Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 1, 2008 8:08 AM

Jun 2007
Geneon imploded, taking their extensive catalogue of R1 DVD's with them - Any American/European anime fans who purchases anime knows this. Do any of you collect their OOP DVD's?

I'm something of a collector of Geneon DVD's these days. Unless the series has awful ratings, I try to win every eBay.co.uk auction for Geneon DVD's.

In all honesty, I never purchased many Geneon DVD's prior to the company imploding, being located in the UK and not having much money combining to stop me importing. Then, when I read the news about them closing, my inner collector of rare things appeared, making me become an eBay bargain hunter.

My first Geneon DVD was the the Gungrave thinpack collection. Having being fooled into thinking DVD Pacific marked down the value of items sent to the UK to avoid customs, I wasn't best pleased to find that I had to pay around £20 to collect my £50ish DVD set around 4 weeks later.

Thankfully, my fortunes have looked up since then, my eBay bargain hunting rewarding me with a pretty good collection of Geneon DVD's:

May 1, 2008 8:16 AM

Nov 2007
I might have some, I dunno. I pretty much only buy box sets since they're cheaper, and get them through the only R4 distributor (Madman) so I never pay attention to the R1 distro Madman tend to sub-license from.

Looking at your list, I have Chobits and Trigun box sets. Oh, and Haibane Renmei and Last Exile you mention at the end. Also have one of the Harlock series, forget which one off the top of my head.
May 1, 2008 8:25 AM

Apr 2008
I have quite a few Geneon DVDs, Vandread and Fafner were some of my favorites from them.
May 1, 2008 8:34 AM

Apr 2007
I haven't been in a rush to pick up Geneon DVDs since they've bowed out of the R1 business because I own pretty much every DVD I've ever wanted to purchase from them. I've been picking up Geneon releases since before when they were known as Pioneer. Aside from about 3 shows, all of the ones I own are singles that I purchased as they were released domestically.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 1, 2008 10:02 AM

Jul 2007
As much as I would have liked to go on a Geneon shopping spree when they died, I haven't actually bought that much more from them. I did pick up Haibane Renmei and Gankutsuou for cheap, though, and I've been making some of their other series a priority to check out from the library (so far only X is on my must-get-somehow list).

oh, these little earthquakes
May 1, 2008 5:17 PM

Dec 2007
I did buy quite a few additional ones as they were going out, but mostly due to the massive TRSi clearance sales. 25 DVDs for $100 is hard to beat.

At present, between those and previous purchases, I have the following series in their entirety:
Black Heaven 1-4**
Demon Lord Dante 1-4*
Ghost Talker's Daydream*
Hand Maid May 1-3**
Heat Guy J 1-7**
Hellsing 1-4
Ikkitousen 1-4*
Lunar Legend Tsukihime 1-3
Melody of Oblivion 1-6*
Mermaid Forest 1-4*
Read or Die TV 1-7*
Requiem From the Darkness 1-4
Rumiko Takahashi Anthology 1-4*
Sailor Moon S 1-6**
Sailor Moon Super S 1-7**
Starship Operators 1-3*
Stellvia 1-8*
Vandread 1-4
Vandread 2nd Stage 1-4

I also have partials of the following:
Dual (2 of 4)*
Kyou Kara Maoh! (5 of 9)*
Last Exile (4 of 7)**
Trigun (2 of 8)

That's 100 DVDs all told, almost half of which were bought as GENEON was going under. Really though, I don't collect for the sake of rarity or value. I usually have interest in the series, and I get a bargain when I see one. Sometimes, I end up with something extremely rare as a result. It's what happened with my City Hunter 3 and City Hunter '91 DVD box sets (ADV though, not GENEON). Those now retail for about 4 times their original list price, even used. That's 10 times what I paid 3 years ago, and still going up!

*Indicates a series that I purchased from those big sales
**Indicates a box set purchase
ErwinJAMay 1, 2008 5:22 PM
May 1, 2008 5:38 PM
Nov 2007
To this date, I've obtained three Geneon titles for the sheer purpose of beating the clock: Gankutsuou, Kamichu, and Haibane Renmei. The privately-owned bookstore I work for also has both boxsets of Fushigi Yuugi, which I'm also considering buying for myself.
May 1, 2008 7:10 PM

Oct 2007
I want to collect some titles, but only ones that I'm genuinely interested in...say, for instance, the last two Shakugan no Shana discs >_< (I only have the first four D:)
You can find me on IRC.
May 1, 2008 7:52 PM

Feb 2008
I got my hands on Gankutsuou right before Geneon went under; I also have some of Trigun and Hellsing Ultimate.
May 1, 2008 8:15 PM

Feb 2007
Still Need:
X TV
Paranoia Agent
NieA_7
Tsukihime
Strawberry Marshmallow
Trigun
Girls Bravo Volume 2
A Little Snow Fairy, Sugar Volumes 2-6 and Special
Black Lagoon
Ah! My Goddess Movie
Karin Volumes 2-3
Serial Experiments Lain
Cardcaptor Sakura Volumes 13-17

Thinking about getting:
Popotan
Stellvia
Strawberry Eggs
Ikki Tousen
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite
Hand Maid May

Yeah...doesn't look promising. Although, I already own the CCS box sets, I want to finish what I started and get all the individual volumes.

And I am so mad that Shakugan no Shana couldn't get its OVA (WITH BOX) out :/

Frak, I'm broke...
AsrialysMay 1, 2008 8:19 PM
May 1, 2008 8:34 PM

Feb 2008
I have Paranoia Agent and Strawberry Marshmallow in my possession, while Chobits is in the mail. There's a few others I'd like to try to get (such as Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, Hellsing, Gankutsuou, and Last Exile) but I don't have the money right now.

Yeah. Because no cash = no DVDs. D=
ohai
May 1, 2008 8:40 PM

Mar 2007
Kuyukly said:
I want to collect some titles, but only ones that I'm genuinely interested in...say, for instance, the last two Shakugan no Shana discs >_< (I only have the first four D:)

D: I own all 6 Shana dvds from Geneon I'm not sure about anything else...

I really lust for the Fate/stay Night and Higurashi dvds that I have none of. I don't even think they released all of Season 1 of Higurashi on dvd though.
Amazone has vol. 5 of Shana http://www.amazon.com/Shana-Vol-5/dp/B000KB48K2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1209699592&sr=1-8
For vol. 6 I recommend just searching around on google. Though Amazon has that as well, but not from Amazon itself.
May 1, 2008 9:09 PM

Oct 2007
Flame_Haze said:
Kuyukly said:

D: I own all 6 Shana dvds from Geneon I'm not sure about anything else...

I really lust for the Fate/stay Night and Higurashi dvds that I have none of.

Hah. I managed to get FSN as it was being released. When I heard Geneon was kicking the bucket, I was worried I wouldn't be able to.

I neglected Shana, though. I'm so ashamed.

orz.

I plan to buy the last two from Rightstuf or something. Thanks for the link, though, I'll keep that in my bookmarks.

Edit: Looking at this thread, I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of ebaying to get all the anime I want from Geneon in the future...
KuyuMay 1, 2008 9:16 PM
You can find me on IRC.
May 1, 2008 10:10 PM

Jul 2007
Considering quite a few of my favorite series were licensed and released by Geneon I have a pretty good collection of DVD's from them (Last Exile, Trigun (I have it under their old company name Pioneer), Lain, etc).

Only real series I need to finish off of Geneon is DearS but with my lack of money I haven't been able to purchase the last DVD as of yet.

Really saddened now as it's going to become pretty hard to collect the other series I'd like to buy that Geneon was and has released (R.O.D. TV, Shana, and a few others) but again I can't afford to buy anything right now (damn being jobless and all).
May 1, 2008 11:44 PM

Aug 2007
I surprisingly don't own any geneon DVD's even though they had licensed a lot of good series.
May 2, 2008 6:13 PM

Feb 2008
I have a few Geneon DVDs ones that I recently purchased were Vols 1-4 of the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs other DVDs I have from Geneon are:

- Hellsing Ultimate Vols. 1-3
    - Black Lagoon Vols. 1-3
    - Elemental Gelade Vol. 1
    - Kamichu! Vol. 1
    - Bottle Fairy Vol. 1
    - Chobits thinpak collection
    - X the series boxset
    - Appleseed

May 2, 2008 8:07 PM

Oct 2007
I used to buy Pioneer/Genon dvds before they shut down. One of the first dvds I got was from them. (Cardcaptor Sakura) It was my second highest dvd company I got after ADV. When I was keeping track of the database I had over 137 dvds from Pioneer Geneon. I know it's increased and partially because some of the dvds are OOP.

If we got 80% or higher let me know! :)
May 2, 2008 8:49 PM

Jun 2007
I am currently on a buying spree for Geneon DVDs, I'm in the negative every month because of it too, just this last pay period I got all of Gad Guard, Tsukihime, and the rest of Haibane Renmei, (stopped there because of the hentai, oh I mean Mediablaster, sale on Rightstuf
May 2, 2008 9:29 PM

Apr 2008
I have yet to purchase a single Geneon DVD. *looks down in shame*
May 2, 2008 9:46 PM

Feb 2007
Ha, I was actually quite surprised too when my original collection of Geneon DVDs consisted of just Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits. Now I have quite a bit, with more to go.
May 3, 2008 3:10 AM

Jun 2007
before the drop, I had El Hazard The Wanderers and ALternative World, Armitage Poly and Dual Matrix, Gankutsuo vol. 1, Kannazuki no Miko + box, Rozen Maiden vol. 1 box, When They Cry vol. 1 box, Serial Experiment Lain, Gatekeepers 21, Ai Yori Aoshi and Enishi, and Black Lagoon all of it. That's all I can think of at the moment. that I KNOW I had before that announcement...
May 3, 2008 8:55 AM

Apr 2008
From Geneon I've got:

Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales - Goblin Cat
Gankutsuou vol.1-6
Hellsing Ultimate vol. 1-3 (special editions)

All at severely reduced prices, thank you eBay. Right now I'm trying to get all of Samurai Champloo. I hope by some miracle they come back to life, I really want the 4th volume of Hellsing Ultimate.
1eyedjokerMay 3, 2008 9:01 AM

Alucard and Seras

May 3, 2008 10:04 AM

Jun 2007
While Americans had the chance to get Geneon DVD's cheap from real stores and from American/Canadian websites before the DVD's became rare, I have to scavenge for the scraps that appear on eBay.co.uk if I want Geneon DVD's for affordable amounts. Importing doesn't work out very well on the cost front when very few stores still have Geneon DVD's in-stock, the ones that do selling for £10+ per DVD BEFORE postage costs, and the £18 UK customs limit stops me importing box sets.

I had problems and paid a lot to get my complete Gankutsuou collection, buying Vol. 1 twice due to my first copy being faulty (wonderful luck) and getting a copy of Vol. 4 from SecondSpin that was sent in a poor black case and had rips on one side of the cover... It's bloody annoying when sealed box sets are still appearing on eBay.com. Still, I'm happy I have my favourite series complete in a lovely looking art box now.

MVM, a UK anime distributor, licensed quite a lot of Geneon's series over here: Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane-Renmei, Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Gungrave, etc. It's just too bad they make some bad decisions on what not to license, MVM having reportedly turned down the chance to license Gankutsuou.

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 41 minutes ago

15 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

20 by tmoverbeck »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.