Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 30, 2008 9:36 PM

Aug 2007
I wanted to make this thread specifically to discuss any theories anyone has for the future after the movie's time is past. A couple people mentioned some great concepts in the previous thread but I really want to know if anyone has a bullet proof idea. Theres a bunch of things that are unanswered, like why there is a random close up of Makato's aunt's high school sweet heart, how she even knows how to time travel, what importance the painting has to the future, or how the hell Chiaki stopped time. But I guess what really bugs me is what's supposed to happened in the future for Makato and Chiaki?

Answers! Anyone! Please!

Heres a short list of possibilitie i came accross:

1- Makoto is actually the person who invents time travel. When he says I'll see you in the future, he means that because she will literally travel to the future to see him. That would be great and all, except.... 1) she has no idea how far ahead he is in the future, 2) shell be old and nasty by the time she invents time travel and Chiaki probably doesn't like old nasty girls 3) Makato is too ditzy to figure out time travel

2- Chiaki will recharge his time travel charges and come back to live out the rest of his life with Makato. Although I really like this concept, the biggest problem I have is that the charges are pretty much a one time use kind of thing. It would be sort of hard to just magically get them back. But since Chiaki got his time charge back by Makoto using one of her charges, I guess it would make sense if someone in the future travelled back in time and gave Chiaki back more of his charges.

3- Chiaki is a time travel pimp. He pimped Makato's aunt and lead her life to restore that painting. Now hes doing the same exact thing to Makato. The painting means so much to everyone in the future that they're willing to mess around with people's lives in the past just to make sure the painting is in good condition.

baaaa i'm thinking way too much about this anime. What do you guys think?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 3, 2008 10:52 AM

Jan 2008
I don't think Makoto would invent time travel, but maybe someone else does and she would be able to travel into the future~

I had interpreted the ending this way~ Chiaki wasn't too far in the future, and would eventually meet her again (he would be born and grow up first), though now I see how unlikely that is now :P
May 4, 2008 9:06 AM

Feb 2008
dunno about makoto x chiaki, was wondering about that myself. but the questions about the aunt were answered in another thread, apparantly this movie is a sequel and her aunt was the female lead in the last one. i just hope makoto doesn't wind up like aunt, waiting her entire life for someone who's never coming back :(

btw, i don't have anything against her aunt, she was probably my favorite character in this movie.
May 5, 2008 10:28 PM

Aug 2007
jacobpaige said:
apparantly this movie is a sequel and her aunt was the female lead in the last one.

I've never heard that before, do you recall the title of the movie?
May 5, 2008 10:31 PM

Mar 2007
Obby said:
jacobpaige said:
apparantly this movie is a sequel and her aunt was the female lead in the last one.

I've never heard that before, do you recall the title of the movie?

The previous film was live action. I have it, but haven't watched it. There is a torrent for it on tokyotosho under the same name, toki wo kakeru shoujo.
May 30, 2008 2:41 PM

Apr 2008
I'm hoping it's number 2 because she doesn't seem smart enough to invent time travel and it'll be gross if she's old and wrinkly and dating a teenager.
and the third one... well wouldn't the aunt say something?
Jun 5, 2008 4:41 AM

Sep 2007
Well, a quick look at wiki shows that the protagonist in the original novel/movie was called Yoshiyama Kazuko; if you pay attention, when Makoto first approaches her aunt, her co-worker calls her "Yoshiyama-san". Not 100% proof, but the movie pretty much implies it. Also, wiki basicly reveals the story of the original, and kinda explains why she doesn't really say anything.

Proud user of Maxthon since the days of MyIE2, long before Firefox was even a twinkle in Netscape's eye.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, not really...
Jun 12, 2008 2:51 PM

Mar 2007
In the TokiKake live-action movie (made 20 years before our beloved animated one), the ending is this:

what's-his-name (I guess the character upon which Chiaki is inspired) goes back to the future and leaves what's-her-name (ditto for Makoto) -- but erases her memories when he goes. Then he comes back many years later, and visits her at her job (which is a pharmaceutical company). She, obviously, doesn't recognize him and he doesn't attempt to really talk to her... it's like he just went there to check on her. Plus, she was engaged to marry the other guy (I guess ditto for Kensuke)... in the live-action movie they made the other friend fall for Makoto but she didn't like him. So basically it seems to me that it was a miserable ending! She was obviously unhappy and just stuck to the decision of marrying someone who liked her, even if she didn't like him in return.

Anyways... I think the live-action movie and the animation movie are completely different! I wouldn't even try to compare them. I like the open ending of the animated movie.

My ideal ending for the animated movie:

Chiaki went back to the future, spent a few years there (let's say... until he was 21), then came back to Makoto when she was also 21. They had both finished college and were adults finally. He asks her to stay by his side forever, in his time or hers!
Jun 12, 2008 9:34 PM

Aug 2007
algelic said:

My ideal ending for the animated movie:

Chiaki went back to the future, spent a few years there (let's say... until he was 21), then came back to Makoto when she was also 21. They had both finished college and were adults finally. He asks her to stay by his side forever, in his time or hers!

I think that's a great idea for an ending. I'll just pretend and act like this is what really hapenned.
Aug 15, 2008 1:53 PM

May 2008
I think that she may look forward to meet Chiaki, cause she promises him to take care of the painting.. so maybe she hopes he'll be able to come back from future and see her again?
but the thing that makes me wonder is that she says 'I'll be running to you'.. what that could mean? guess it can be some kind of metaphore.. maybe because every time she leapt, she have to run.. which may mean actually, that she will try very hard, but both of them now it can't succeed, since her time leaps were all used already...?
Aug 17, 2008 8:54 AM

Jun 2008
As much as it pains me to say, I voted for number 3. "Chiaki is a time travel pimp". damn him. Though I beg to differ, the fact he was so nervous in "confessing" and asking her to date him, lead me to believe this was his *first* time actually falling in love with the girl he was manipulating to restore/preserve the painting. (This is all a theory in which I have no knowledge of the live action,) Her aunt stated she fell in love with him, but, I can't be to certain if Chiaki fell the same way? I may be wrong, since he too promised her. She also says something along the lines of, "alot of young teenage girls leap through time at your age," that may have been said only to reassure Makoto it was okay, or the fact that Chiaki is indeed a time travel pimp.

Though to make myself happy, I'll believe that he felt different for Makoto. He stayed with his friends because he treasured that time period, hopefully emplying that he loved this "time travel" more than anywhere else he's travelled too, and fell in love. Though I highly doubt they will ever see each other again, he'll definately see her success in the future, with that damn painting. Wah. :3
Aug 24, 2008 12:20 PM

Jan 2008
jumikao said:

but the thing that makes me wonder is that she says 'I'll be running to you'.. what that could mean? guess it can be some kind of metaphore.. maybe because every time she leapt, she have to run.. which may mean actually, that she will try very hard, but both of them now it can't succeed, since her time leaps were all used already...?

I think, it refers to her aunt's statement. Remember? ^^ Before, she told Makoto that she was the kind of person who'd rather run towards someone when they are "late" and she's supposed to wait.
Therefore, I agree when you say it's a metaphore. I believe Makoto simply realized what her aunt meant with "running towards someone" and tells Chiaki this way she's really looking forward to meeting him again and trying her best. =)

The movie was awesome, but the ending...=( I'm such a happy-ending-freak...This one killed me! XD Besides, I'm German, and the German dub made me really really angry but also happy at the same time o_O
In German, she says "I love you" when they say goodbye and Chiaki replies "I love you, too"! I, as a romantic freak, really needed that to be said, but when I watched the original dub, I noticed they don't even say that! >_<

Hm, as to the ending... My favourite version'd be that of Chiaki returning, although it wouldn't make much sense... Why would he have to leave in the first place just to return again? Plus, I didn't read the original novel, but I don't see Chiaki as a "time travelling pimp". He seemed too sincere for that, actually. If someone invents time travelling in the future, I'm sure it's logical that more than one person leaps through time.

So, to make myself feel content xD I believe Chiaki returns to Makoto one day! ♥

Aug 24, 2008 1:07 PM

Mar 2007
I don't believe that Chiaki is a time travelling pimp. I didn't read the original novel BUT I watched the original live-action movie... and trust me when I say Chiaki was NOT in it, it was a different story all-together (and in a previous comment I summarized what happened there).

There is a chance that Chiaki is the son of the man who visited Makoto's aunt. That's a small possibility... though there's no actual proof.

The way I see it, Makoto's time leaping adventure and her aunt's are completely separate things. It was just coincidence that two time travellers happened to meet two related people.
Aug 25, 2008 12:57 PM

Mar 2008
Alas, yes, this is the most important unanswered question in this wonderful film. I don't think there is any real answer to it (I'm not sure about the manga though) but the anime certainly doesn't make it clear.
From my watching it though, (a few times as well), I've picked up this much information:
Her aunt (after explaining her past which seemed similar, but she was waiting for her lover who hasn't shown up) said to Makoto:
"You're not like me. Its more like u to go running to someone when he doesn't show up."
And, Chiaki says:
"I'll be waiting in the future", at which Makoto replies:
"Yeah, I'll be right there. I'll run to you."
So, THEREFORE: personally I think somehow, Makoto meets him in the future, and actually, that option of her inventing time-travel and getting there doesn't seem so stupid.
Whatever method, what is clear is that they will somehow meet up and be together, which is good enough. :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2008 10:18 AM
May 2008
what I took away from the ending is that they loved each other enough to figure something out. That's a plenty happy ending for me and I don't need anymore.
Sep 5, 2008 6:13 AM

May 2008
To be honest, I think that Makoto's the one that invented the time travel.

Remember at the beginning of teh movie where she couldn't think of a major, and one of the majors was Sciences? I believe she picks science as a major and makes time travel.

Jan 7, 2009 4:27 PM

Jan 2009
I'm not sure who I think would have invented time travel. Interesting theories I never even thought of.

Sadly, when Chiaki said "I'll be waiting in the future," or something...
I thought that Chiaki was from way-way-way in the future. He came back to check out a painting but fell in love with how the world used to be and so stayed.
I don't think that he will be in Makoto's future at all.

Side note :: I want him to be. ♥
Jan 12, 2009 4:01 PM

May 2008
What... no one has explored the possibility that Chiaki is Makato's son, and that the reason why she said she'll be "running forward" was to hurry up and get married so that she can give birth to Chiaki and meet him again asap???..... okay, all jesting aside. /snickers

1) The possibility of Makato being also her aunt seems remote due to the fact that she seems to be the main protagonist of the prequel.

2) The possibility of Chiaki coming back from the future IS quite possible since the walnut which charged his body with the time travel ability IS available in the future he comes from. It would merely be a matter of attaining another walnut and recharging his body. However, the problem that remains is the rule that was broken when Makato learned of the time leaping ability. According to his explanation of the rule, he wasn't allowed to stay with her once she discovered the time-leap ability... Granted that he might break that rule and return anyways, but what's to stop the authorities in his future time-line from interfering with him?...

3) The possibility that Chiaki was a time-pimp seems rather unlikely based on the fact that he seemed to be willing to sacrifice any chance of returning back to the future when he used his final time-leap in order to save his friend from the train, a result of Makato being grief stricken. Ofcourse there's the possibility that he had a few buddies in the future that would return back in time and drop off another time-walnut in the event he didn't return by a set time as insurance... but that would be going into conjecture far beyond typical reasoning... /smirk

Well, since I hate tragic, depressing endings, I would contemplate a 4th possible outcome, which is along the same line as the 2nd suggestion, with the differentiation that perhaps he can be with her again if he were to obtain another time-walnut from his future time line and then leap back to the time before she came into contact with the first time-walnut, preventing her from discovering it, thus preventing her from breaking the time-leap knowledge rule in the first place. This way, she wouldn't be aware of the time-leap knowledge, and thus the rule would not prevent him from staying with her. Granted that she wouldn't be aware of all the things that were going to happen afterwards, but he could be really nice to her and make up the time she lost in some other way since he won't be able to reveal it to her because of the rule. In any case, at least this way, he can be with her again from the time before she discovered the time-walnut, and providing that he's careful not to be discovered, and doesn't get dumped by Makato ^^, he can continue to stay with her... happily ever after.....

Ofcourse, this is all silly conjecture, since in reality, even if a single atom on Earth was displaced in the distant past, it could have a tremendous effect on the outcome of that altered timeline, even changing the possibility of Chiaki ever being born, in the first place, in the future... but for the sake of fun, and in the spirit of the movie, let's just pretend that suggestion #4 is a plausible outcome, and contemplate a happily ever after ending... ^^
Jan 13, 2009 9:29 AM

Mar 2008
Lakym said:
What... no one has explored the possibility that Chiaki is Makato's son, and that the reason why she said she'll be "running forward" was to hurry up and get married so that she can give birth to Chiaki and meet him again asap???..... okay, all jesting aside. /snickers

Errrr...that wouldn't explain any of the romantic feelings between Chiaki and Makoto, in fact that would be incest...:/ :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2009 9:11 PM

Oct 2007
Number 3 seems unlikely UNLESS you were to play around with the idea a little bit more. Perhaps that painting is important not only to Chiaki but to a lot of other people as well. It's possible that many people have gone into the past to try to see and/or change history to preserve it. It's very likely that one of those people who leaped into the past met Makoto's aunt and that is why she works to restore the painting. Now Makoto herself is going to end up helping keep the painting intact. The only sad part about this idea is that neither Makoto nor her aunt will see their high school love again. Considering that it is forbidden to let someone from the past learn about time travel to begin with, Chiaki and his predecessor are probably forbidden to time travel again.

Not exactly the happiest idea. Oh well.
Feb 9, 2009 7:22 PM
Jan 2009
I want to think that Makoto will be the one that invent the time machine.
She did said that she has decided what she's going to do at the end of the movie and told Kousuke that it's a secret. And before Chiaki left, she said she'll run to him so I think she'll be the one doing most of the work. Hopefully Makoto is secretly a genius that can invent the time machine within a short amount of time, ie. before she gets old and wrinkly.
Maa, this is just what I want to happen I guess.

And fancyultrafresh has some good points. As Makoto goes back in to the very first beginning and she knows without Chiaki "directly" telling her about him then the rule shouldn't be broken.
Feb 19, 2009 11:02 AM

Oct 2007
For me not taking the prequel into account or that the aunt was in it i always thought that makoto was the Aunt.

first the idea that two people who knew each other from that time being able to time leap is kinda wierd and why did she tell makoto thats its normal for girls her age to time leap, if she is makoto from the future she could just be trying to calm makotos mind without letting her know anything about chiaki.

while talking to the aunty before her final time leap she also says something about loving someone before and still loving them (can't remember what said exacly i just remember it made me think she was makoto ^^;) during that conversation you also see a picture of the aunty in high school, the fringe looks styled just like makotos but the hair is a bit longer.

also shows that makoto is keeping her promise about making sure the picture is safe by going back to restore the painting for chiaki ^-^ and proberly also to calm her younger self XD
nipah~~

Mar 11, 2009 2:19 AM

Apr 2008
fancyultrafresh said:
He's a time travel pimp, obviously ;D

I don’t think their exchange at the end was meant to be taken literally. It was meant to be something like closure for the two of them.. they realized they loved each other but both of them knew that they wouldn’t be seeing each other ever again. I felt it was like a promise not to forget about each other.

It would have been nice to have the ending that I was expecting when I watching it. She screws up, then she has to use her last time leap to fix everything, and in the end everyone is happy. Sure, it’s predictable, but it’s warmsquishyhappy :D

Also, I was thinking.. when Makoto leapt to the time before Chaiki used his last time leap, she didn’t necessarily need to tell Chaiki that she knew everything, right? I mean, at that point, he had at least one time leap left, it looked like he wasn’t planning on going back anytime soon, and he was pretty adamant about not leaving until he saw the painting (she knew her aunt was restoring it - she could have taken him to see it!).. she could have said nothing seeing she kind of “fixed” everything she did by time leaping to that point.. meaning, he could have stayed because he would have never known that he told her everything. Maybe? Haha. Unless the rule he told her about when he stopped time after saving Kosuke still applies.. (even though that incident/conversation technically never happened because of her time leap).. so if the rule still applies, he would he have to leave, right? she still knows he’s from the future/he can time leap even though he doesn’t remember telling her anything..

Haha, I don’t know. I’m confusing myself.

You make a good point, but in my opinion personally I think that since they obtain the knowledge through each time leap, that when he got back to his future time, they would punish him... because although he doesn't know he told her at that point in time... the fact still remains that he DID and she knows. I think she would have rather been straight with him and told him everything and not do that to him.

They will never see each other again in my opinion... sad ending for me. But she keeps herself on a happy note.

I don't think he's a pimp.
I don't think Makoto invented the time machine.
and I don't think Chaiki will come back.

However, somehow... maybe she'll get to him... considering the last line said.

Now that I think about it... it doesn't matter to contemplate about the rest of the story... they don't tell you... so it doesn't exist... it was never made. It's one of those story with lose ends... made like that so us viewers can make our own ending. Period. So technically... we're all right.
Mar 13, 2009 1:48 AM

Apr 2008
hmm, well, im not going to think too much on this because time travel is one of those things that depends on how you would explain how space-time actually worked.

It would all depend on what Chiaki decides to do. If he can't get another nugget thingie, then he can't go back, which mean Makoto never gets to see him again (unless she travels forward, or their generations overlap and they meet when shes old and hes young..ewww). If he does get a nugget thingie, then nothing in the movie would have mattered, cuz as lakym pointed out, all he has to do is zip back and see her whenever he wants, (if i was him i would go back the second my old self left so she wouldnt have to wait). of course that is all assuming her loves her.

As for her aunt, if she did fall in love with a traveler, than her lover either got stuck in the future, or was a dick and left her, cuz i dont see why he wouldnt go back already and see her if he loved her.

Lakym said:
Ofcourse, this is all silly conjecture, since in reality, even if a single atom on Earth was displaced in the distant past, it could have a tremendous effect on the outcome of that altered timeline, even changing the possibility of Chiaki ever being born, in the first place, in the future...

Srry just had to chuckle at that. Just to point out, atomic particles disappear and reappear all the time, and they can be in multiple places at once too. Some theories even suggest that some atomic particles (atoms included) travel through time continuously. As of now, there is no define rule that predicts the nature of things smaller than a molecule so i really doubt the displacement of a single atom could cause such a drastic change...i could be wrong lol
Mar 28, 2009 3:51 PM
Oct 2007
since everyone is discussing their theories; heres mine.

I think that the aunt is makoto in the future, protecting the painting that chiaki wanted to see; thus becoming a art restore(er???) and waiting for chiaki to stop by someday.

you know, it can happen; they bend time
Jun 10, 2009 9:31 PM

Aug 2008
This is the worst! I don't even have a theory, I'm just lost.

I wanted a happy ending so badly!!!
Jun 18, 2009 8:56 PM

Jun 2009
I don't think the aunt ever 'time leaped [lept?]', she trusted that her niece was telling the truth and giving honest, logical advice.

Just a thought.
Jul 8, 2009 2:11 PM
Jun 2009
Well, I definitely think Makoto's career choice will involve being an art restorer to preserve the painting. I don't really think she'll meet up with Chiaki though. Chiaki talked a lot about no more baseball, the sky being bigger in the past, so many people, etc. Almost as if it's post-apocalyptic or some tragic event occurred. Chiaki may just end up like her aunt waiting out her life for a love that will never come.

Of course there's also the possibility that Chiaki is not a teenager. I see a lot of teenagers that look like complete adults, and a lot of adults that look like teens. Depending on how far into the future he came from they may be relatively close to the same age.

Or even still, the painting itself could be the reason the future is the way it is. Maybe by Makoto restoring and preserving the painting it prevents whatever issues happened in the future.

Time travel always gives me a migraine to decipher.
Jul 16, 2009 2:01 PM

Feb 2009
she invents time travel

that's the only way i can put the 'running towards him' part into context with 'time waits for no1'

(she spends all her time inventing time travel, ironic i know)

also her teacher did say her grades were pretty good (before she cheated in her test)
Jul 18, 2009 5:05 AM

Jul 2009
I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who wasn't 100% satisfied by the end of this movie. I agree that Chiaki is from a distant future, possibly post-apocalyptic, because of the way he talked about it and the way that the time-travel walnut is so far ahead of modern technology. Judging from the conversation at the end though, I have to believe that they'll be together eventually. The alternative is just way too depressing to fit in with the tone of the movie.

The idea that Makoto invents time travel herself has some merit because she doesn't need to be solely responsible for the invention. All she has to do is take the knowledge she possesses to someone who actually knows what they're doing and BAM!: time travel walnut. She doesn't actually know how far in the future to go, or where to find him though, so that kind of squashes that idea.

Chiaki coming back for her is interesting because as far as we know, time travel walnuts are abundant in the future. If he did get his hands on one of them, why didn't he just come back to meet Makoto immediately after he left her. It also clashes with Makoto's line about coming to meet Chiaki herself. Since Chiaki is also probably from the distant future, we can probably rule out the possibility of them meeting as a result of the natural flow of time.

Ugh, I don't know. This is so complicated I almost don't even feel like speculating. Overall, it was a great movie and definitely worth watching. It's frustrating though the way this movie shot itself in the foot. It's impossible to even put together a convincing theory for a happy ending for crying out loud! This really annoys me because I need a satisfying resolution to a movie like this so I can get some closure and move on with my life. I just can't deal with the endings that are left open for interpretation.
Aug 9, 2009 12:00 AM
Feb 2009
i just watch the movies and idk which 1 to believe lol
Aug 12, 2009 11:45 PM

Aug 2007
Trigram said:
This really annoys me because I need a satisfying resolution to a movie like this so I can get some closure and move on with my life. I just can't deal with the endings that are left open for interpretation.

: ) join the club!!!!!
Aug 22, 2009 8:05 AM

Aug 2009
I like the third interpretation a lot, even though it seems pretty sinister for this movie. Everything makes sense now...

Then again, surely Chiaki could find somebody more reliable than a high school student to preserve the painting, right? Unless there's a whole team of time travelers manipulating other people as well? What's so damn important about the painting anyway!?

Bah!

Writing is my hobby. My current project is called The Mole: Anime Edition 2.0.
Sep 23, 2009 11:53 PM

Jun 2009
i want another sequel!
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Oct 9, 2009 10:26 PM

Jun 2009
=_= the ending really bothers me.. I hope there's a sequel to make things clear..but number 2 would be a great ending <3
Oct 10, 2009 1:05 AM
Sep 2008
I may be just blitzed out of my mind because I've barely had any sleep and I've just watched this movie...

but maybe it means they'll meet again in the afterlife.
Nov 6, 2009 11:44 PM

Dec 2008
Afterlife might just be going on a hinge per-say.

Good movie, but the unanswered questions will make me stay up tonight. Time Traveling pimp seems pretty awesome.
Nov 10, 2009 6:58 PM

Oct 2009
ah! , I once responded an answer to this (or something like this?) in manga fox , lemme look for it and copy-paste it xD

*comes again*

ack! manga fox doesn't work! >.< , and I had all the answers >.<

fine I'll post it later u.u

but to understand the movie a 100% you can also read the manga "the girl who runs trough time" , it tells kazuko's story , and makoto's mother also appears , also the girl who leapt trough time manga to fill some plot holes from the movie :}
Dec 2, 2009 12:35 PM

Sep 2008
Makoto making a contribution toward science would only tie the whole story together.
Rest are interesting theories but that would lead to author animating so many unnecessary scenes.

Experience is a very valuable thing. And we know matoko isn't stupid. b/c she experienced time travel she is quite ahead. It is totally possible.

Here's my take on this.
First we have this whole issue about her choosing science and arts.
But this doesn't only affect Matoko.

Our adventure starts with Makoto & the science lab. I presumed this was foreshadowing of their relationship.

But, why is chiaki there?
Assuming the place was locked by someone else.

And by seeing matoko was surprised when the door was locked, shows these rooms are usually not locked.

Chiaki can't be searching for something. Because why would he even go there? They are still in the stage of choosing sciences or arts. Therefore he won't be there for classes. (and afterschool?) and really any reason at all.

So this leads to the conclusion it was Chiaki who locked the doors. For that reason he didn't run out through the "locked door" b/c he already knew it was locked. But risked the chance of being spotted by going through another room to the hallway. (the long route).
To add to that, there was a message "time waits for no one" written on the chalkboard. Knowing his attitude towards studies, for him to go out of his way to write that on the chalkboard of a class he doesn't even take seems off.

Therefore I came to the conclusion Chiaki is doing something in that science lab.
Something related to time travel.

1. Wrote, time waits for no one. Artists, scientists, or people in general, tend to write what they are studying/working on.

2. Brought the time traveling device to school.

There is no reason for him to bring that device to school, since we know
a) there's no penalty for being 00 on the time leap number.
b) charge is instantaneous, as it freezes time around you.

Bringing it to school/carrying it around only leads to the chance of it being lost. Also being activated by accident. Logically you would safe keep something that important in a safe zone.

So why in the world would Chiaki bring something so important to school? in a locked room, in a foreign class? With all those equipments out on the desk. And making a ruckus.
Also looking at the lab, it's not a good idea to let equipments sit like that unsupervised. Chemistry can lead to disasters. I doubt this was a fault in the animators. B/c that scene is done to extreme details, which shows how important it is.
To make such elementary mistake on such important setting (considering how polished the film is) is unthinkable (anyone who took chemistry would know how much teachers bitches at you for these safety hazard garbage). Should especially be true for japan and it's earthquakes.

Answer is simple. Chiaki brought the time traveling device to school b/c he needed to study it. To study, he needed to do it after school for practical reasons. To ensure further secrecy, he locked the doors. (lingered around earlier to wait for questionnaires to be sent. This incident only happened because Matoko was so late handing them in)

Time waits for no one.
Why is this line so important? How does this relate to Chiaki being a player or waiting for matoko's achievements? Little to none. If the above theories were correct, that line would lose most of its meaning and repeating is unnecessary.

The final lines between the two, is what makes up my point.

Time doesn't wait for no one.
Chiaki: I'll wait for you in the future
Matoko: I'll be right there, I'll run there.

This obviously implies time traveling, going ahead of time. One is bounded by their current era's time. To see someone in the future, you have to break through it.

Matoko who now experienced time traveling, and in the end chooses science. With research already started by Chiaki, Makoto just continues it and in the end finishes it. Most likely with other scientists. b/c you know most scientists don't work solo.

I think lot of people here are underestimating the value of experience. And you can tell Matoko really got a hold of time leap process as she was in the end able to pinpoint exact time to return to. Whereas before it was approximation.

noir_laitDec 2, 2009 12:54 PM
Jan 16, 2010 1:24 PM

Oct 2009
wow noirlait that's amazing o.o , I would have never though that chiaki was doing research there and locked the doors , or that makoto chose science and became a scientist , but it makes a lot of sence.....

though chiaki made it a bit confusing since he said he was looking for it , it made me think he was looking for it before anything happened o.o , but I also found suspicious that the lab things where there and that makoto said that she'll run for the future , I knew there was something on those words but I didn't noticed since she said run and not leapt , now yours was an awesome deduction o.o
Jan 16, 2010 8:54 PM

Jun 2009

Wow, what a nice explanation:D
I need to rewatch and see what i was missing.
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Mar 19, 2010 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
noirLait made some quite nice conclusions

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Apr 24, 2010 5:48 AM
Apr 2010

wow, thats good... I can only add, that they had blinking "00" tattoo, which means there is still something remaining in them even after spending their last leap.
maybe it disappears after some time, but maybe not. and if it remains, she can use it in research
May 15, 2010 9:58 AM

May 2009
i think she's her aunt lol
but you guys posted some pretty good facts (lol in wiki too)
but the aunt witch preserved the painting like she promised too. :D
Jul 12, 2010 10:32 AM
Jul 2010
I think that even though it seems unrealistic that Makoto and Chiaki would be able to meet up in the future.... after those lines at the end of the films... I can't believe that the writers wanted us to think that they wouldn't find each other after the end of the story.
But it's still almost impossible to come up with a full-proof way of the two meeting up that doesn't contradict the tone or the perameters of the storyline....
I think there's a significance in the painting, and in the Aunt. I agree that she could be Makoto, older. In which case, she must have been able to time-travel again, to come back in time, and I think that she probably did find Chikai again, and that her comments about love are about the feelings of desperation she had about her relationship with Chikai when she was at the stage that the present Makoto is at. (If that makes any sense at all....) But, apparently, a lot of people who read the manga say that the Aunt is the main character from that story, rather than future Makoto....
If that's true, then my best guess would be that Chikai left something behind for Makoto to find and use to get to the future, but perhaps couldn't talk about it because of similiar reasons as to why he shouldn't have told her he was a time traveller. Maybe in the sciene lab where she found the time travelling walnut? As other people have pointed out, it seems as though he was working on something there, and it was probably him who wrote on the board. It sort of keeps in with the Chekov's gun nature of the plot and I don't think it's too unfeasable, and it makes some sense in relation to the last lines between Chikai and Makoto.
I also thought that maybe some of the things that happened in the movie (Chikai dropping the time travelling walnut, the writing on the board, the locking of the doors) may not have been by teenage Chikai, but by a Chikai from even further in the future, who did this to ensure that Makoto found out about time travel, so that she'd be able to meet up with Chikai somehow later in life. Though... I saw the movie over a year ago, and I've forgotten a couple of the details, so this theory might not make any sense...
Anyway. I refuse to believe they don't meet up in the end. It just doesn't fit the tone of the film. :)
Jul 15, 2010 4:20 PM

Aug 2009
I really think he will come back from the future, but this is actually an open end, so anything is possible.
But on the other hand, it's also possible that he is indeed a pimp. That would make the stroy a lot easier to understand how it was all connected with the aunt, and if the aunt is(n't) Makoto self.
Dec 21, 2011 6:37 AM
Nov 2011
(revives dead thread a year later)

Heh, just got done watching and love to discuss theories...

In the movie, Matoko has very limited time leaping abilities. She can only go in one direction, backwards. But Chiaki can leap forwards.

Think about it. Matoko's leaps all have her going back in time and staying there. She never returns to her original timeline; she just jumps from one timeline to the next, departing from one timepoint in her source timeline and arriving at an earlier timepoint in her destination. Every jump is backwards.

But Chiaki clearly jumps forward. There's no other way he can "return home". Chiaki says he'll wait for her; the only way this is possible is if someone invents time leaping within Matoko's lifetime.

The time that Chiaki's from, and precisely who invents time leaping, is imo irrelevant. Matoko can jump forward to it as soon as she gets her hands on time leaping technology. Moreover, she doesn't just jump forward to the day Chiaki left; she jumps forward so that Chiaki is of an appropriate age, however many years after he returned home. He did say he'd wait for her, after all. So she shows up after an appropriate interval (ie, they're both 30 or something).

So there's no "old woman ages to meet young man" thing going on. Someone invents time leaping, and Matoko takes/steals the picture and stores it in a safe place, then leaps past whatever catastrophe occurs. There would be no record of this because the only person who knows where it was hidden leapt away; without any record the picture would be presumed lost. She finds Chiaki in the future and takes him to wherever the picture has been safely stored by her for however many tens or hundreds or thousands of years. The end.

That's how I see it anyway :P
CrazielDec 21, 2011 6:40 AM
Feb 3, 2012 4:25 AM

Aug 2007
Craziel said:

In the movie, Matoko has very limited time leaping abilities. She can only go in one direction, backwards. But Chiaki can leap forwards.

Think about it. Matoko's leaps all have her going back in time and staying there. She never returns to her original timeline; she just jumps from one timeline to the next, departing from one timepoint in her source timeline and arriving at an earlier timepoint in her destination. Every jump is backwards.

But Chiaki clearly jumps forward. There's no other way he can "return home". Chiaki says he'll wait for her; the only way this is possible is if someone invents time leaping within Matoko's lifetime.

The time that Chiaki's from, and precisely who invents time leaping, is imo irrelevant. Matoko can jump forward to it as soon as she gets her hands on time leaping technology. Moreover, she doesn't just jump forward to the day Chiaki left; she jumps forward so that Chiaki is of an appropriate age, however many years after he returned home. He did say he'd wait for her, after all. So she shows up after an appropriate interval (ie, they're both 30 or something).

So there's no "old woman ages to meet young man" thing going on. Someone invents time leaping, and Matoko takes/steals the picture and stores it in a safe place, then leaps past whatever catastrophe occurs. There would be no record of this because the only person who knows where it was hidden leapt away; without any record the picture would be presumed lost. She finds Chiaki in the future and takes him to wherever the picture has been safely stored by her for however many tens or hundreds or thousands of years. The end.

I like it!
Mar 23, 2012 10:19 PM

Nov 2011
Obby said:
Craziel said:

I like it!

Yeah... she did say something like she'd run to him... So maybe she's been planning that.

And the aunt knows about time leaping(She used the same phrase 'time-leap' as chiaki. If she'd call it something else, I'd assume she was making theories on her own). I think she, probably is waiting for someone too. Chiaki can't be the only one who leapt to the past.

Also, alongwith leaping forward and backward, Chiaki also seems to be able to stop time! That was just plain awesome...(I almost cried when he said goodbye to her then. Almost.)
Apr 8, 2012 10:26 AM
Dec 2010
Does anyone know what is written after the end credits?
The picture is this:
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Discussion (GO WATCH THIS) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - May 11, 2007

501 by SoloVelvet »»
Apr 17, 1:48 PM

» plot hole

Algazero - Nov 10, 2010

18 by Khashishi »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:15 PM

» The Painting

itz_lelouch - Mar 12, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:42 AM

» Awkward/Funny Scene

Rand_al-Thorfinn - Aug 26, 2022

5 by omen- »»
Sep 13, 2022 4:19 AM

» When is Chiaki actually from

iamhim - Nov 9, 2020

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Aug 1, 2022 12:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.