Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 15, 2010 7:16 AM

Jan 2008
Thank you very very much for bringing it back! ^-^
Also thank you for loading "show more" on demand now! ...my list loads a tick faster now.

Well there are still some bugs i came across, or other people have mentioned:
  • Edit-Box misses a close button (Some people seem not to know to just click outside of it)
  • Discussion/Move to Completed etc. box seems to be gone.
  • When increasing episode number by clicking on "+" the input field to input the number shows up
  • Priority-column is gone
  • Missing option to order or hide some status
  • On an animes stats page is a "Show all: 0"
  • Grand Totals (You already mentioned them)

If someone comes across more bugs, feel free to quote my list and add them ;)

Thanks for your hard work!
mugenzawaJun 15, 2010 8:13 AM
Thanks to everyone involved in making these fantastic events!

It was a lot of fun! Thank you! <3 *hugs*
Jun 15, 2010 7:31 AM

Sep 2009
shiki08 said:
Seriously..don't you want to get the donations back?

(And the otaku guys: Please, for the sake of others, use those sub-menus. If you don't need it, don't display ALL of them. Also, no one will die if you don't update your list ASAP. It is fine even after a week when you finished your weekly 30 anime. Why would you do that? No point at all, just burning the resources. Thank you for your understanding.)

(And yes: Me and my friends who use it would kindly donate. Don't get it whats the point in this situation sorry.
Also: Every one of the people I know disabled the ads. They are willing to pay, they are willing to pay enough even for the servers or supports with hardware, whatever. BUT ads are a "nono" , sorry.)

MAL is a company now, not a free online service.
There are legal issues in accepting just straight up donations.

There ARE ways they could get around it, depending on where the servers are hosted. For example, they could add a "Donator" tag for someone who donates something like a dollar to MAL. This donation tag would give them NOTHING above what others get, but would quality as an online purchase so it would be legal.

The only problem with that, is taxes. I don't know if they would be taxed or not. >.<
Jun 15, 2010 8:42 AM
Sep 2008
To reduce server load I suggest editing the anime list this way: it'll remain the same as now but the statuses titles would be buttons (with their child list being hidden) that the user can click on to show that specific list. This way a user can have multiple status animes in one page. This way also the first accessed page would havethe "Watching" animes always shown/unhidden, so that people who access their list will most probably just update the status of animes they are watching.

But it's up to you.
Jun 15, 2010 8:52 AM
Jun 2009
Sabinlerose said:
shiki08 said:
Seriously..don't you want to get the donations back?

(And the otaku guys: Please, for the sake of others, use those sub-menus. If you don't need it, don't display ALL of them. Also, no one will die if you don't update your list ASAP. It is fine even after a week when you finished your weekly 30 anime. Why would you do that? No point at all, just burning the resources. Thank you for your understanding.)

(And yes: Me and my friends who use it would kindly donate. Don't get it whats the point in this situation sorry.
Also: Every one of the people I know disabled the ads. They are willing to pay, they are willing to pay enough even for the servers or supports with hardware, whatever. BUT ads are a "nono" , sorry.)

MAL is a company now, not a free online service.
There are legal issues in accepting just straight up donations.

There ARE ways they could get around it, depending on where the servers are hosted. For example, they could add a "Donator" tag for someone who donates something like a dollar to MAL. This donation tag would give them NOTHING above what others get, but would quality as an online purchase so it would be legal.

The only problem with that, is taxes. I don't know if they would be taxed or not. >.<

Fine, ask for more, tell us how much is the tax. I use this service and I would pay for it. That's it.
Jun 15, 2010 9:25 AM

Dec 2007
Thank you Xinil.

However, something that disappeared - maybe it's my CSS incompetence - is the feature of ordering our boxes as we want. I like to have the Plan to Watch above the On Hold, and now the are traded. What can I do?
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jun 15, 2010 9:37 AM

Jul 2008
great thanks
Jun 15, 2010 11:06 AM

May 2009
yay thank you!! :D
but is there a way to rearrange the section order? >___>
taailiiraJun 15, 2010 11:24 AM

Jun 15, 2010 11:40 AM

Aug 2009
thanks xinil!!! :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jun 15, 2010 11:43 AM

Apr 2008
Thanks for the search box, it's great seeing related entries in one go rather then having to click through as I do with ctl+f!!!! :)

Also nice to have 'Show All' back. :P
Jun 15, 2010 11:47 AM

Mar 2008
LittleHat said:
Thank you very very much for bringing it back! ^-^
Also thank you for loading "show more" on demand now! ...my list loads a tick faster now.

Well there are still some bugs i came across, or other people have mentioned:
  • Edit-Box misses a close button (Some people seem not to know to just click outside of it)
  • Discussion/Move to Completed etc. box seems to be gone.
  • When increasing episode number by clicking on "+" the input field to input the number shows up
  • Priority-column is gone
  • Missing option to order or hide some status
  • On an animes stats page is a "Show all: 0"
  • Grand Totals (You already mentioned them)

If someone comes across more bugs, feel free to quote my list and add them ;)

Thanks for your hard work!

Total Days Watched doesn't show up any more (although the start days and end dates are still there). Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I really liked having that there.
Jun 15, 2010 11:53 AM

Jul 2008
Tyblazitar said:
Yay, great! Thanks, Xinil! I must admit I doubted the administration would listen to the users, so this came as a positive surprise. Nice to see you changed this back.

I must say though, I hope one of the proposed solutions is added and helps reduce server load anyway. =)

This.
Thank you so very much for bringing things back as they were Xinil. It is greatly appreciated.

Still I have to say that I also share the very same opinion as this person:
XTApocalypse said:
Nice that the Show All option is back, but I'm still against having a limit of any kind on lists. [...] I'm probably going to be one of those 2k+ users one of these days.

I like to see everything together in one page at once. I think I could live with a "show more" option that loads more of your lists as some people suggested and hence still being able to see the whole thing after some clicks, but pagination is definitely a no-no for me. For this same reason I don't appreciate having the show all option disabled once you hit 1500+ entries.

As some people already said it would be nice to have the possibility to rearrange the list as one wants again. I personally don't miss this option at all but I think it would be a very good thing to have it back. And probably, if you let people who don't want some sections to be shown hide them, you'll decrease the server load a little bit more, no? =)

Also, good work on the new search box. I won't ever use it since I prefer the ctrl+F because it's instantaneous and doesn't need for another page to load, but I'm sure it'll turn out to be a fairly used and appreciated feature.

Now patiently waiting for the grand totals to come back.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Jun 15, 2010 11:59 AM
Nov 2009
I'd like to be able to see it all on one page again for 1500k+, I could probably live with it like this because I won't have to deal with the pages. However if just one of the sections is over 1500 it still loads it so I'm just wondering how this limit even matters in cases like that.
Jun 15, 2010 12:07 PM

Feb 2008
Thank you
Jun 15, 2010 12:27 PM

Feb 2008
@Loxaris & DaveBrickheart: Just remove the majority of your PTW/PTR sections and you'll probably never have a problem with the 1500 entry limit. More than 70-80% of your list being PTW is, quite frankly, ludicrous.

An alternative is to re-evaluate how you handle the ptw lists, like not adding entire franchises without having seen a single episode when adding the first entry alone is plenty.

Yes, it's your list and you can do whatever you want but try to be realistic, for everybody's sake. I don't see either of you watching everything on your list, if not ever, then before Xinil brings Show All back for everybody. It looks like you're trying to create a problem where there is none.
Jun 15, 2010 1:10 PM

Nov 2008
Thank you very-very much!

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Jun 15, 2010 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
Search function is a nice idea, but first await if I will ever use it.
Jun 15, 2010 2:23 PM
Jun 2009
Thank you very much Xinil! And thanks everyone, our voice was heard!

But I was kinda hoping for all the changes to be reverted, so to fix everything that stoped working... well, I think I can wait for the rest... but please don't forget!

Oh, and good to see the "more" optimization aplied!
Jun 15, 2010 2:39 PM

Apr 2007
thanx m8 :D
Jun 15, 2010 2:50 PM

Jan 2008
So I look at my list today and it's gone to shit. How do I make it not shit again? Where's the pic I had in the background? Why does clicking on my list show my entire list as opposed to just 'currently reading'?

I'm so lost.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 15, 2010 3:22 PM

Jul 2008
@kuroshiroi: I'm not trying to create problems whatsoever, I was only expressing my thoughts as I wanted to underline that I do not like the idea of having limitations on how my lists are viewed. And I wasn't saying that only for myself but in the perspective of it being a limit for everyone on the site. I very likely dislike to have limits in viewing my list more than the great majority of users around, but having a limit on how many entries are displayed doesn't sound nice to me, whatever the circumstances - i.e. if I was a user with 1500+ entries, being it because of my PTW or Completed or whatever and would want, for whatever reason, to see my list in a show all form I would like to be able to do so.

The way I use my list is my own choice and frankly I could find it offensive to have it called "ludicrous" by someone who doesn't even know me and/or what I use my lists for. But I assume this was not the intention beyond your words so I'll let it go.
For the time being, I was already thinking to make some modifications to a few sections for the sake of being sure to always stay under the 1500+ line, hence always being able to have the show all option.

I really don't feel I said something wrong or troublemaking. On the contrary, I'll repeat that I'm very glad to have things back as they were or even better, as I see some modifications have been made to improve the performance - and on this I give my congratulations and thank yous to Xinil and the other people involved, if there are any. But if there's something that I don't like about an update or that I disagree with expect me to say so.
LoxarisJun 15, 2010 3:27 PM
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Jun 15, 2010 3:45 PM

Nov 2007
I have no idea if this has already been mentioned before, but I noticed two things.

1. You can no longer rearrange the order of the individual lists (Plan to XX, Completed, On Hold and such). This proves to be a bit of a nuisance for some of us, since I particularly liked my list in a specific order (Current, Plan To, Completed, On Hold, Dropped) and I'm sure others did have their own arrangements as well. Still, I can live with it.

2. The CSS parsing engine for the advanced list styles editor filters out the ID of the top strip. If what you were after was just preventing malicious users from hiding it, why not just filter/parse the visibility and display CSS properties instead of blanking out the entire ID header? I tried a simple CSS styling to make the bar remain at the top without scrolling, and after smacking my head for a bit wondering why it wasn't working, just now I noticed when checking the HTML source that the section I added got the mal_control_strip ID style header filtered out.
Random anime kiss (yes, it changes every time you view it):

See my complete gallery, and PM me if you want your own!
Jun 15, 2010 5:18 PM

Dec 2009
So happy "Show All" is back! :D

(But it seems like tags are still broken..Will the tags be fixed too? *crosses fingers*)
OnyxEyes3Jun 15, 2010 5:32 PM
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

Jun 15, 2010 6:05 PM

Apr 2009
Oh, what a relief! I'm not going to hit 1500 entries total any time soon so I'm happy! Glad to know Grand Totals will be back as well. No complaints from me!

Jun 15, 2010 6:36 PM

Oct 2008
Nice step forward, it does seem to load faster than before. But judging from the replies in this topic, you're not quite done yet ;)

One fairly simple optimization I can suggest is using output buffering, and pushing the whole page out to the user when you've completely rendered it in your script. This way, the browser doesn't try to constantly render the page while it's still being loaded, resulting in an overall faster experience. You might want to experiment with that :)

Also, I don't know with how many people you're working with on the website's code, but recruiting an extra developer or two is probably something to consider as well, since MAL is getting bigger and bigger, and people want more and more.
Jun 15, 2010 6:50 PM

Feb 2008
OnyxEyes3 said:
So happy "Show All" is back! :D

(But it seems like tags are still broken..Will the tags be fixed too? *crosses fingers*)

Xinil stated in an earlier thread that Tags would be coming back after some optimization work to make them faster, no timetable was given though.
Jun 15, 2010 6:52 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
Hooray!

Thank you.
Jun 15, 2010 8:38 PM

Apr 2009
Thanks! Should let people with 1500+ items have pages when they show their 'show all' list... say 1500 per page... but I certainly won't be reaching 1500 anime soon.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jun 15, 2010 8:59 PM

Nov 2007
wow. thanks Xinil!

banana
Jun 15, 2010 9:13 PM

Mar 2010
DZ said:
2. The CSS parsing engine for the advanced list styles editor filters out the ID of the top strip. If what you were after was just preventing malicious users from hiding it, why not just filter/parse the visibility and display CSS properties instead of blanking out the entire ID header? I tried a simple CSS styling to make the bar remain at the top without scrolling, and after smacking my head for a bit wondering why it wasn't working, just now I noticed when checking the HTML source that the section I added got the mal_control_strip ID style header filtered out.

It's an old issue, look at my list page source code if you want to make this bar fixed.

@Xinil: hope the tag functionality will come back soon :-)

Jun 15, 2010 9:22 PM

May 2008
What happened to the feature to let us set the order of the display..

For example:

watching
on-hold
plan to watch
dropped
completed

when right now it's set as:

watching
completed
on-hold
dropped
plan to watch

would like to be able to change the order again..

hope you get grand totals back soon, and fix the tags.
Jun 15, 2010 9:47 PM

Dec 2009
Thanks a lot! It really is a great feature.
Jun 15, 2010 10:52 PM

Aug 2008
yay~ thx !
i'm glad the show all is back ^_^
Jun 15, 2010 11:02 PM

Sep 2008
Probably posted already, but I'm getting a bug where clicking the episode + button opens up the thing where you type in episode number. It still adds an episode I think, just a slight bug
Jun 15, 2010 11:27 PM

Nov 2006
Christhepirate said:
Probably posted already, but I'm getting a bug where clicking the episode + button opens up the thing where you type in episode number. It still adds an episode I think, just a slight bug
that, and this happens to me now:

is it something i can fix in my css/elsewhere or am i stuck with it?
Jun 16, 2010 12:40 AM

Nov 2007
Thank you!
*hoping for the grand totals to come back*
Jun 16, 2010 1:10 AM

May 2007
THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH, XINIL. ;____;

Jun 16, 2010 1:16 AM

Nov 2007
kwizatz said:
It's an old issue, look at my list page source code if you want to make this bar fixed.
Ah, thanks very much for that. I hope you don't mind that I shamelessly stole a bit more of your CSS besides just the top bar fix part. =p
Random anime kiss (yes, it changes every time you view it):

See my complete gallery, and PM me if you want your own!
Jun 16, 2010 4:30 AM
Jul 2009
Christhepirate said:

same here

also the tags not working is really getting to me. i like using tags and now i can't use them T-T its so frustrating it makes me want to cry!
Jun 16, 2010 7:05 AM

May 2010
Thanks for bringing it back, its way better like this!
Jun 16, 2010 7:48 AM

Feb 2009
thanks ^_^
Jun 16, 2010 9:09 AM

Mar 2010
I'm very happy that "Show All" is back. Thank you. Now just waiting for grand totals.
Jun 16, 2010 9:20 AM
Dec 2009
Thanks for reutrn the Show All back, Xynil.

m(_ _)m
Jun 16, 2010 10:42 AM

Feb 2010
Thanks, my list looks better now.
Jun 16, 2010 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
Thank you for bringig back this function, I really missed it!
Jun 16, 2010 2:04 PM

May 2008
"Show All" is back, and the search box makes it very convenient, which was great.

But just one thing :

I WANT TO SEE MY GRAND TOTAL ! D;
Jun 16, 2010 3:12 PM

Jan 2008
Thank you! Thank you so much! This is much better <3
Cant wait for the Grand Total to be back :D
Jun 16, 2010 6:40 PM
Jun 2009
thank you!!
i really hope we can have the grand total function back LOL
Jun 17, 2010 1:14 AM

Aug 2007
Awesome! Thanks very much~ :)
Jun 17, 2010 1:29 AM

Feb 2010
YAY!!
Jun 17, 2010 2:44 AM

Dec 2007
woooo hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Poke* *Poke* CraveOnline invest some money into this place and upgrade the servers!!!
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime đź—» ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.