Forum Settings
Forums

Moved Paginaton to Top, Plus Other Minor Bug Fixes...Show All?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 14, 2010 2:42 AM

Feb 2009
Bierzgal said:
Xinil said:
Some people have 2k+ entries on their lists and when "Show All" is active...it takes a huge toll on our web servers (DB not so much).
Only thing i can think of is to limit the numbers of entries per section (if all 5 statuses are displayed, only show 100 or so from each).

Oh come on, and how many of them are there? http://myanimelist.net/topusers.php . Not SO many I could guess.

And look at them...1st is clearly a troll with 8200 in "watching" and 0 days anime
From the rest there are 5 who have between 2.8k and 5.5k entries in "plan to watch" which of course is just to make it into the top10.Not like they realy plant to watch them all.
Like someone suggested...if the "plan to watch" list is limited to...100 entries for example those guys's lists will be soooooo much easier to load.And the troll could be just kicked out,lol.
Then how many guys with 2k+ entries would be left?Indeed "not SO many" ...

And one more thing...about the grand totals:

Please don't leave them like that...it's almost pointless having them when they're different on every page from the list.And i don't feel like using calculator every time i want to know how much episodes i've seen.
It'd be nice if they were moved...maybe on top of the list and show only the "ultimate" grand totals.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jun 14, 2010 2:46 AM
Jan 2009
I quite like lookbook.nu 's system where it loads as you scroll, as others have mentioned. If not that I also like the idea of giving the users freedom to decide what categories get hidden completely, partly with the option to show more, or shown completely, so people who don't need a particular section often can leave it off.

p.s i've noticed a little bug where if you click the +sign to add an episode on your list the white box shows up for a couple seconds, freezing the adding as well.
LacyJun 14, 2010 5:57 AM
Jun 14, 2010 2:47 AM

Dec 2009
@Sozen: I don't. I visit my list numerous times a day. I'll keep it open during anime sprees of a few hours, but I never, ever leave a window open. And I really, really don't want to have to expand my list every time I visit or refresh the page when, assuming what's been said on the subject is true, getting rid of the "More" expansion would work so much better as far as conserving space goes. Is there a way we could relocate the links somehow? The only significant one I can think of might be, debatably, the user's Comments... which I think could and should be replaced with a section that can be shown directly on the list itself. A huge number of users use the Tags option to share minor comments on an anime because of the lack of an easily-accessible Comments area. Adding such a panel wouldn't make the lists any more content-heavy or add to the loading time because they would just replace the Tags panel on said users' lists.
Jun 14, 2010 2:52 AM

Jul 2007
Shouldn't there at least be another link to the next page at the bottom of the list, so when we scroll down to see the first 250 entries we don't have to go back up to the top to click on the link for page 2? (yeah I'm lazy like that :P)
Jun 14, 2010 3:01 AM

Apr 2010
Here's another idea... Store a cookie or unique hash on the page or something and the first thing the list would do when fetching data is check that hash/cookie.

You'd also have to design a system to keep track of updates and assign them a unique hash.

So then, what this means is that every time you refreshed the page, it would check what revision you're currently on, then it'd only fetch the new data. That way, if you reloaded the page to see something move from Watching to Completed (etc.) it'd only fetch the 1 change rather than having to fetch your whole list again.

I think if you could design something like that, it'd help out a lot.
TiffanysJun 14, 2010 3:06 AM
Jun 14, 2010 3:03 AM

Jan 2009
I'd rather stick with the current pagination, given that the lack of convenience of clicking 'show more' to expand ALL out list sections.

This feature seems to be popular however, so i suggest giving people the option of using 'show all' with the 'show more' feature and the current pagination. ie. this feature would only appear if people click on the 'show all' page.

Usability is an issue though. I've said this earlier but i'll say it again. The biggest gripe people have would be scrolling up and down just to access the pagination feature. The simplest way to resolve this would be setting the top bar to 'float' by default , a feature currently already available to css users, kinda my list here.
Jun 14, 2010 3:39 AM

Feb 2008
not a fan of chinlamp's idea, personally I prefer the option of loading the list slightly ahead of the what you're actually viewing or Xinil's idea but with a "show more" button in each category instead of actual pagination. I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that this would also make it easier to fix the grand totals and possibly the tags.

also in favor of loading the "more" data separately.

though honestly, any of the ideas suggested so far are better than what we have atm (except eliminating tags, I'm totally against that).
Jun 14, 2010 3:43 AM

Dec 2007
I'm not particularly fussed about a show all for all categories, but if it's feasbile I'd like to suggest that it be possible to 'show all' of the entries in an individual category, when they're viewed in their separate Reading/Complete/Whatever tabs..
Please :(
Something clickable perhaps, so that it doesn't affect others who happen to look at my list (so where at the moment it says "Pages (3) [1] 2 3" with each being clickable, maybe it could say "Pages (3) [1] 2 3 All" ?)
Jun 14, 2010 3:48 AM
Sep 2008
iwantsomesoup said:
Humbak said:
Karharot said:
ExiledLife said:
mikewando said:
I really liked being able to see all of my entries on one page. If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired. This would also prevent some redundant reloading of entries in the current implementation, because instead of constantly reloading entries by going back and forth between categories, the entries are only loaded once per view.

I like this idea.

I like it too. I often used categories Currently watching/reading and Completed simultaneously but now not only I can't view both categories at once but also Completed part has been split in two and it sucks. It's okay if the list starts as being all hidden or shortened but there should be an option to show it all if needed.

Perfect idea.

i like it!

Me too.

Good Idea.

And i agree with the limit (100) for plan to watch\read.
Jun 14, 2010 3:53 AM

Jul 2008
If someone wants to see an entire anime list, they will go through all the pages anyway. Having a show-all button just makes it easier for the user. If they look through an entire list its still loading the same thing, just over 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds.
Jun 14, 2010 4:11 AM

Apr 2008
KristianKensei said:
iwantsomesoup said:
Humbak said:
Karharot said:
ExiledLife said:
mikewando said:
I really liked being able to see all of my entries on one page. If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired. This would also prevent some redundant reloading of entries in the current implementation, because instead of constantly reloading entries by going back and forth between categories, the entries are only loaded once per view.

I like this idea.

I like it too. I often used categories Currently watching/reading and Completed simultaneously but now not only I can't view both categories at once but also Completed part has been split in two and it sucks. It's okay if the list starts as being all hidden or shortened but there should be an option to show it all if needed.

Perfect idea.

i like it!

Me too.

Good Idea.

And i agree with the limit (100) for plan to watchread.

THIS PLEASE :D
Jun 14, 2010 4:12 AM

Dec 2009
chrislongden3 said:
If someone wants to see an entire anime list, they will go through all the pages anyway. Having a show-all button just makes it easier for the user. If they look through an entire list its still loading the same thing, just over 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds.

True. 'nods' Also limits to the list just sucks. We have way too many want to watch, completed, etc. For such a limit. So limit is out of the question.

Jun 14, 2010 4:25 AM

Dec 2007
I'd rather you work on updating your server hardware and look at getting up more server cores and split the load the website has up a bit more.

As having trouble displaying text lists shouldn't be causing too much in terms of bandwidth loads... If your having little issues like that, something is seriously wrong and many new features that are possible wouldn't really kill the website. Look to moving the lists to a more server cores / seperate servers and only having the basic website on it's own server if they aren't seperated already...

Some edit buttons on forums don't work though... Among many other issues. Saying something like "Invalid message id provided".
starclawsJun 14, 2010 4:30 AM
Jun 14, 2010 4:29 AM

Jun 2009
Let the viewer have the option to override the user's choices. For example, when I view someone else's list, I dont' want to see those 2k+ Plan to Watch. Let me have the option not to load all that. Same goes for the fancy background and formatting. People like me don't want to see those huge HQ pics in the background, so let the viewers have the option to hide another user's images.

For those 2k+ entry people, make it mandatory for them to limit their list. Maybe to 500~800 per page? (I don't know, enter a reasonable number here. I don't know your statistics for the website) Or make them pick 2 or 3 status.

I mean idiots like these guys obviously adds as many as they can for the sake of having a long list.
They need to be banned or punished, but as I've been hearing from the other thread, most users have less than 300 entries, so this problem really only applies to a very small portion of users (once again, you're the one with the stats Xinil)
Sprite_CokeJun 14, 2010 4:40 AM
Jun 14, 2010 4:33 AM

Dec 2008
i think there needs to be a limit on plan to watch and possibly on hold, but only to stop abuse so 100 is way too low [EDIT: to avoid confusion and hopefully offense]

also in terms of show all i like bits of everyone's ideas so far so my proposal is as follows (ive not read every single post in both forums so i apologise if this has already come up somewhere)

the basic idea is have the show all as like a preview of each list, with like 250 max entries in each one, maybe listed by date watched rather than alphabetically (only on the show all page) and then to get the full list you use the pagination to see the entire section (eg the 5k plan to watch entries), that way you dont have to load each page separately to see 6 currently watching and 14 dropped but you do get a general idea of what is on the list, with the option of viewing the entire thing

and we definately need the grand totals back, its just not the same without them

finally pagination is messing with signatures, i dont know if anyone else has noticed but the custom list updates sigs are only updating from youre default page, ive made sure it wasnt me being dumb by messing with my settings then deleting and re-adding "summer wars" which i watched 2 days ago and its there now that my list defaults to completed
CtrlAlexDeleteJun 14, 2010 10:09 AM
Jun 14, 2010 5:23 AM

Apr 2007
Aside from ways to pagination I still want to insist on better optimizing the structure of the list. Starting from the fact that my 138 entry list has 10KB of tab spaces. <- not very cool

I think one of the root problems is poor optimization from the view generator.
Jun 14, 2010 5:35 AM

Jun 2009
Here is my idea based on what @Sprite_Coke said.

Make a acceptable limit to "on hold" and "planning to watch" lists.
Make the "Completed" with pages (like show 50 or 100 (or w/e number you want) entries per page).
And rest as they are.

And all of those can probably fit in Show All without any traffic problems :S
Jun 14, 2010 5:44 AM

Nov 2008
It seems to me that this update screwed up the way Grand Totals were counted. Maybe that's the reason of this silence about them.
Jun 14, 2010 5:48 AM

Jul 2009
one more thing to my previous post
Xinil said:
(ideally it should be at the bottom...but that doesn't look good).

practicality & functionality are more important, than good look.
Jun 14, 2010 6:00 AM

May 2007
As said before on the thread, using AJAX for the largely unused "more" feature would eliminate a lot of server load. Not allowing Show All as default would get rid of those massive lists being loaded just to see a currently watching. I've not played with my settings for some time, but limiting the sections loaded to 2 would keep most people happy. And when viewing the whole list, expandable as with the "more" idea above. 100 or 200 entries sound about right.

Again, just listing what kept my interest when reading the thread. Nothing original, just what I would like to see and think would help the server load.
Jun 14, 2010 6:01 AM

Jun 2007
I like the ajax idea, mentioned several times already, but no matter which solution is going to be implemented, please preserve compability with current list designs as far as possible.
Jun 14, 2010 6:06 AM

Oct 2007
Xinil, theres another bug
The Tags are broken.
By that i mean the links are broken.
For example, I hit the tag "comedy" on an anime that I'm currently watching
my watching list is still displayed instead of all the anime i have tagged with "comedy"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Metroid_Ex&tag=Comedy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2010 6:09 AM

Mar 2008
Can't view any entries on myanimelist nor can I view any on mymangalist.

Fix please.
Jun 14, 2010 6:40 AM

Oct 2009
Tiffanys said:
Here's another idea... Store a cookie or unique hash on the page or something and the first thing the list would do when fetching data is check that hash/cookie.

You'd also have to design a system to keep track of updates and assign them a unique hash.

So then, what this means is that every time you refreshed the page, it would check what revision you're currently on, then it'd only fetch the new data. That way, if you reloaded the page to see something move from Watching to Completed (etc.) it'd only fetch the 1 change rather than having to fetch your whole list again.

I think if you could design something like that, it'd help out a lot.
This!
Jun 14, 2010 6:43 AM

Jun 2009
rockaric said:
Can't view any entries on myanimelist nor can I view any on mymangalist.

Fix please.

revert to the default settings

btw make a dummy index.html file on your websites root.
cause now everyone can see what your root's folder has
Jun 14, 2010 6:58 AM
Jun 2009
Here most of the sugestions in the other topic, wich preserves the show all w/o pagination:

I sugest the "load the More on demand", and I still think that this alone should solve the problem, caching, etc. I also support chinlamp's idea as a new default if needed, but don't get rid of the show all. If you don't put the show all there, someone will, and I will use it.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=360#msg8631823

Specifies a bit the caching idea and the JSON+ javascript idea
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=380#msg8632565

This one elaborates the idea of caching that me and resbr said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=460#msg8635570

In the start of the topic there were also many sugestions that can be summed up to: re-enabling the "show all" but don't let the user chose to default to it. The rationale is that users would still be able to use show all when most fit, eliminating the possibility of the change causing an increased load in the server, but decrease it's use by not alowing defaulting to it. But it still remove that last feature, so it is sub-optimal.

Some repetition:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=500#msg8638617 (well, past the 3º page it was the general situation anyway)

Split the database in recently used and inactive users to shorten it and hopefully reduce the processing/memory load to find something in it.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=500#msg8637869

Not sure if it actually will work well.

Sanitize the crappy html generated by MAL to lessen the load time. Also sugest caching, and query only changes to the database.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=520#msg8639395

More bashing on the html, and elaborates on the use of JSON and javascript to off-load the server. Also, a couple of other aditional sugestions for optimizations, some totaly transparent for the user, some not so much. Also, it seems to increase the load on the client.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=560#msg8641995
ManabuJun 14, 2010 7:02 AM
Jun 14, 2010 7:11 AM

Aug 2008
Kanzaki-Jin said:
i think there needs to be a limit on plan to watch and maybe on hold to stop the abuse on the top end, im not sure about 100 but i know i would never have even that many in my plan to watch

People really need to stop being stupid about these numbers and/or limiting plan to watch/read. You lose the point of the list then. Tons of people use more than that, legitimately. Just because you can't think of adding over a certain number of entries, doesn't mean others can't. And yes, I do plan to read most of what's on my list. I already OWN most of it too. There's people who have been watching/reading for 10+ years who can achieve large numbers with no effort, especially if there's many short series involved.

And as a 2k+ list owner (honestly, there's a lot out there, not just in top users), I NEVER used the show all because it was too clunky. I liked the "show all" for each category.
Jun 14, 2010 7:19 AM

Jul 2007
Honestly, the pagination doesn't bother me, I'm just happy to be able to view my manga list finally, I've pretty much given up on it ever loading and haven't seen it in a LONG time.

BTW, I came across this problem, which seems to be related to the newest update, as it only started happening in the past few hours:

It happens when clicking on "Edit" link next to a title and there is no getting out of this screen by any means aside from typing in the MAL url. And just because I could:
Jun 14, 2010 7:48 AM

Jun 2009
shinkeikaku said:
You lose the point of the list then

Most people use/used MAL cause of the show all feature, so by removing it is losing the point of using it in 1st place...
SenseiBanzaiJun 14, 2010 7:52 AM
Jun 14, 2010 7:54 AM

Aug 2008
SenseiBanzai said:
shinkeikaku said:
You lose the point of the list then

Most people use/used MAL cause of the show all feature, so by removing it is losing the point of using it in 1st place...

The point of MAL is to "Start cataloging anime you've watched or manga you've read." Whether it's on one page or several. I'm pretty sure this thread isn't the one you're supposed to only complain about the show all missing, but suggest an alternative. After seeing multiple comments about large lists, I'm just making sure people don't suggest things that keep others from listing the things they've watched or read.
Jun 14, 2010 7:58 AM

Apr 2008
Sprite_Coke said:
People like me don't want to see those huge HQ pics in the background, so let the viewers have the option to hide another user's images.

Also used on the dutch equivalent of Facebook, if you do want to see them, fine, if you do NOT want to load someone else's personal background, untick, works pretty good in loading speed if you ask me.

shinkeikaku said:

And as a 2k+ list owner (honestly, there's a lot out there, not just in top users), I NEVER used the show all because it was too clunky. I liked the "show all" for each category.

I don't want to be rude but, I think there's ALOT more users who have smaller lists than there are users with 2k+, or even 1k+ lists, so fine if you don't use ''show all'' option because of that very often, I understand that and can see why some people can have those kind of big lists, but I think I can say that most people DO use ''show all'' option.
Jun 14, 2010 8:00 AM

Jun 2009
shinkeikaku said:
this thread isn't the one you're supposed to only complain about the show all missing, but suggest an alternative

did.

Straw-Hat-Matt said:
I don't want to be rude but, I think there's ALOT more users who have smaller lists than there are users with 2k+, or even 1k+ lists, so fine if you don't use ''show all'' option because of that very often, I understand that and can see why some people can have those kind of big lists, but I think I can say that most people DO use ''show all'' option.

Ya like make a counter for total-animes-entries (or manga) and if its lower than that number then show the old style else the new one with pages
SenseiBanzaiJun 14, 2010 8:04 AM
Jun 14, 2010 8:04 AM
Sep 2007
dollie_mixtures said:
BTW, I came across this problem, which seems to be related to the newest update, as it only started happening in the past few hours:

It happens when clicking on "Edit" link next to a title and there is no getting out of this screen by any means aside from typing in the MAL url.

To close the edit window you have to click somewhere outside of it, so on the area that lost the focus/got darkened out (in other words: previous page).
Jun 14, 2010 8:54 AM
Jun 2010
freedoleen said:
dollie_mixtures said:

It happens when clicking on "Edit" link next to a title and there is no getting out of this screen by any means aside from typing in the MAL url.

To close the edit window you have to click somewhere outside of it, so on the area that lost the focus/got darkened out (in other words: previous page).

I had that same problem. Thanks, freedoleen for the answer!

As to the pagination and the show all feature, I don't have any suggestions. I like some of the other suggestions that were given though.
Jun 14, 2010 9:19 AM

Feb 2009
Maybee a silly idea

But why won't you simply make it impossible to have it on show all by default?

if ppl really want to see the entire list they can click on a show all button or something.
Jun 14, 2010 9:24 AM

Jun 2009
Arcan said:
Maybee a silly idea

But why won't you simply make it impossible to have it on show all by default?

if ppl really want to see the entire list they can click on a show all button or something.

That way people will just get the link to the "show all" page and abuse that one, lol
Jun 14, 2010 9:52 AM

Aug 2007
Personally, I like the tabs. I like seeing one list at a time. I also like the new Pagination.

Works for me ;)

Jun 14, 2010 10:02 AM

Mar 2010
Make some default CSS improvements:
- Pagination on top with scrolling back to top is very un-user-friendly: so make the header "fixe".
- Without "show all", most of non users may not think to see the other status (that's a sharing issue): so, add the number of animes in different status after their status, instead of in title attribute (mouseover actually).

I've changed my CSS to add these features, you can see it working in my list:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kwizatz&status=2&order=0

Jun 14, 2010 10:47 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
kwizatz said:
Make some default CSS improvements:
- Pagination on top with scrolling back to top is very un-user-friendly: so make the header "fixe".
- Without "show all", most of non users may not think to see the other status (that's a sharing issue): so, add the number of animes in different status after their status, instead of in title attribute (mouseover actually).

I've changed my CSS to add these features, you can see it working in my list:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kwizatz&status=2&order=0

Nice. I'll very likely add in the stationary top bar in the future, especially with the new search area I just implemented.

Discuss here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/index.php?topicid=231589
XinilJun 14, 2010 10:51 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

201 by EverySportsAnime »»
Today, 7:28 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime đź—» ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Destinesia »»
Today, 5:09 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3340 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.