Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Apr 26, 2008 11:41 PM

No one ever made one of these so I had to resort to making it myself. Hopefully we'll get some recommendations in here for stuff a little more obscure than mainstream rock/metal (no offense to anyone, just seems like that's generally what a lot of people here stick to). That's what this thread is for, though - to help people branch out and find something new/different. Be sure to at least list genres that apply to your recommendations. Also, don't feel like you have to post a list or anything. If you want to just ask for recommendations, go for it. If this turns into more of a discussion thread, so be it.

Ambient
Boards of Canada (/trip-hop)
BT
Eluvium
Helios
Susumu Yokota

Black Metal
Alcest
Amesoeurs
Mirrorthrone
Sigh
Wolves in the Throne Room

Doom Metal
Electric Wizard
Jesu (/drone/experimental)
Boris (/drone/psychedelic/noise-rock/post-rock/etc etc)

Hip-Hop
Artofficial
Common
Cradle (/jazz)
Cyne
Dälek (/abstract/noise)
Deep Puddle Dynamics (/abstract)
DJ Deckstream
DJ Nozawa (/jazz)
DJ Shadow (/abstract/trip-hop)
Fat Jon (/abstract)
Hiroki Mizukami (/downtempo)
Kero One (/jazz)
Lupe Fiasco
m-flo (/pop)
Nujabes (/jazz)
Sole (/abstract)
Substantial
Taninaka (/jazz)
Tribe Called Quest [A]

Post-Rock
Appleseed Cast [The]
Ef
Envy (/screamo)
From Monument to Masses
Gifts From Enola
God is an Astronaut
Maybeshewill
miaou
Mono
Sequence Pulse
sleepy.ab

This Will Destroy You
Toe
World's End Girlfriend

Screamo
City of Caterpillar
Envy (/post-rock)
Funeral Diner
Heaven in Her Arms
Hot Cross
I Hate Myself
I Would Set Myself on Fire for You
Loma Prieta
Orchid
Raein
Saetia

Shoegaze
Asobi Seksu (/dream pop)
Coaltar of the Deepers (experimental)
Cruyff in the Bedroom (/dream pop)
Depreciation Guild [The] (/8bit)
Hartfield
LSD and the Search for God
Luminous Orange
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
Sunny Day in Glasgow [A] (/electronic)

Sludge Metal
5ive
Battle of Mice
Isis
Neurosis

Trip-Hop
0 SOUL 7
Air
DJ Krush
DJ Shadow
DJ Unwind
Eternal Morning
Etro Anime
Fat Jon
Flying Lotus
Massive Attack
Portishead
Saltillo
Zero 7
Modified by Neverender, Sep 11, 2008 12:29 PM

Apr 27, 2008 12:09 AM

I'll save this post for future edits. For now, I'll just recommend a couple of note worthy artists I believe to be note worthy.

ROUND TABLE Featuring Nino (pop)
Japanese trio with cute vocals. They've performed numerous anime openings. My #1 musical group.
Recommended Album(s) / Song(s): Nino / Groovin' Magic, Rainbow, Puzzle, Let Me Be With You, Where is Love
Sounds Like: Shimokawa Mikuni, eufonius

9mm Parabellum Bullet (Indie/Rock)
A Japanese band, a good one at that. I'm not very familiar with this type of music as much as say hip-hop but I definitely think they're good.
Recommended Album(s) / Song(s): The World E.P, Termination / Heat-Island, Mr.Suicide
Sounds Like: A combination of Asian Kung-fu Generation+RADWIMPS+The Fall of Troy (less screamo)

The BACK HORN (alternative Rock)
Another Japanese band. Did the first ending theme to Gundam 00, Wana. Excellent.
Recommended Album(s) / Song(s): BEST THE BACK HORN (Compilation of their best) / Wana, Requiem
Sounds Like: Asian Kung-fu Generation

A Tribe Called Quest (Jazz Hip Hop)
This hip hop group is amazing.
Recommended Album(s) / Song(s): People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm, Midnight Marauders, The Love Movement / After Hours, Award Tour, The Chase part II
Sounds Like: Awesomeness

Souls of Mischief (Oldschool Hip Hop)
Group made up of members from Hieroglyphics. Very laid back and some nice diverse lyrics.
Recommended Album(s) / Song(s): 93 'til Infinity / 93 'til Infinity (This song is just amazing.)
Sounds Like: Hieroglyphics, The Pharcyde, Del the Funkee Homosapien

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (Real Rap)
Rappers who harmonize singing with fast-paced rapping. Each member has a distinct style and their lyrics are usually meaningful and deep, ignoring most of their smoking songs, which are actually real good too.
Recommended Album(s) / Song(s): E. 1999 Eternal, BTNHResurrection, Greatest Hits / East 1999, Change the World, Tha Crossroads, Days of Our Livez, Young Thugs
Sounds Like: Nothing. They're definitely unique in their game.

EDIT: I took out the unnecessary posts I made to save space for other people's spots on the front page.
Modified by Karura, Apr 27, 2008 10:19 PM

Apr 27, 2008 12:16 AM

RADWIMPS+The Fall of Troy

LOL SHIT CHECKING OUT NOW

Apr 27, 2008 12:24 AM

guitar rifts

I lol'd

Apr 27, 2008 12:30 AM

Yeah, guys. lol... *claims spot*

Apr 27, 2008 12:31 AM

Karura said:
Neverender said:
guitar rifts

I lol'd

I'M SO SORRY RIFFS

These messages are taking up the front page.

My kingdom for a 320kbps Termination DDL. OH WELL. Gotta wait a couple hours. This better be good.

Apr 27, 2008 12:56 AM
Bright Eyes (Indie/Alternative)
Lead sing Conor Oberst was dubbed this generations Bob Dylan.
Recommended Album/Songs: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning / The Calendar Hung Itself | Let's Not Shit Ourselves (to love and to be loved)
Sounds Like: I can't compare them to any other, k

Elliott Smith (Indie/Acoustic)
Another lyrical genius with a more softer sound.
Recommended Albums/Songs: XO, Figure 8 / Between The Bars | High Times | Kings Crossing
Sounds Like: Music you'd commit suicide to, and I'm talking about the good suicide

The Good Life (Indie Rock)
FUCKING AMAZING LYRICS, mainly about drinking and women.
Recommended Albums/Songs: Album Of The Year | Black Out / The Beaten Path
Sounds Like: Cursive, but with better lyrics

The Radio Dept. (Indie)
Swedish Indie band, one of my favourites.
Recommended Albums/Songs - Pet Grief / The Worst Taste In Music | I Wanted You To Feel The Same
Sounds Like: My Blood Valentine, Pet Shop Boys

Cursive (Indie Rock)
Edgier side of Tim Kasher (also the lead singer of The Good Life).
Recommended Albums/Songs: The Ugly Organ / Staying Alive
Sounds Like: HXC

Neva Dinova (Indie Rock)
Experiments in ambient sound, dreamlike music.
Recommended Albums/Songs: The Hate Yourself Change / A Picture in a Pocket
Sounds Like: Son, Ambulance

Maria Taylor (Indie)
Beautiful woman, gorgeous voice. Hard not to fall in love with her.
Recommended Albums/Songs - 11:11 / Xanax
Sounds Like: Azure Ray

Azure Ray (Indie)
Beautiful.
Recommended Albums/Songs - Burn And Shiver | Hold On Love / No Signs Of Pain
Sounds Like: Cat Power

Tilly and the Wall (Indie Pop)
They don't use percussion, why? because they use tap shoes and hand claps instead.
Recommended Albums/Songs - Wild Like Children / You and I Misbehaving
Sounds Like: Amazing, never want to stop dancing

Blonde Redhead (Indie Rock)
Dreamy music, nice sound.
Recommended Albums/Songs - 23 / Misery is a Butterfly | In particular
Sounds Like: People say Broken Social Scene, but I disagree

Coyote Bones (Indie Rock)
Gotta toss them in here, good shit.
Recommended Albums/Songs - Gentleman on the Rocks | 39 Forever
Sounds Like: The Good Life

Infected Mushroom (Psytrance)
Crazy trance music.
Recommended Albums/Songs - Converting Vegetarians / Cities Of The Future
Sounds Like: Trippy

The Flashbulb (Experimental / Electronica)
Intense, "drill 'n' bass or breakcore styled music".
Recommended Albums/Songs - Red Extensions of Me / If Trees Could Talk | Chik Habit
Sounds Like: Amazing

Post-Grunge

In Me (Alternative Rock)
UK band, simple riffs, angry lyrics.
Recommended Albums/Songs - White Butterfly / So You Know | White Butterfly
Sounds Like: a lot of rock bands all rolled into one

More later.
Modified by wtfyourface, Apr 28, 2008 4:52 AM

Apr 27, 2008 1:00 AM

wtfyourface said:
Bright Eyes

WHOAAAAAAA DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING

Apr 27, 2008 1:01 AM
Neverender said:
wtfyourface said:
Bright Eyes

WHOAAAAAAA DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING

OKAY YOU CAN SHUT THE HELL UP.

Apr 27, 2008 1:05 AM

Just saying. No need for caps.

Apr 27, 2008 1:05 AM
You started it.

Apr 27, 2008 1:15 AM

TAKES TWO TO TANGO

Apr 27, 2008 8:24 AM

Blockhead (downtempo/hip hop)
yeah i stole his name cause i couldnt think of a creative name for myself
check out his instrumental albums. its hip hop but it has a melodic sound to it
Modified by blockhead, May 17, 2008 9:36 PM

Apr 27, 2008 8:58 AM
blockhead said:
guess ill plug in one of my favs

Blockhead

Man, this whole time I thought you got your username from Michael Swain's animation series Blockhead. I was like "Dude must like some serious funny shit".

But hey, I'll check this stuff out.

Apr 27, 2008 9:50 AM

I'll throw out a few artists whom people don't seem to know or listen to much but definitely deserve more recognition.

Bamboo
Jazz Rock band from the Philippines (lol). Really laid back.
Genre: Jazz Rock
Recommended Albums/Songs: Light Peace Love / Truth, Hallelujah, Peace Man
Sounds Like: Jack Johnson (I'm told)

Malcos
He's an awesome musician, most known for his game remixes on Overclocked Remix and particularly his remix of the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo soundtrack. You can download his original music at his website and his game remixes at Overclocked Remix.
Genre: Instrumental, Remix
Recommended Albums/Songs: All his albums are good / Nothing Doing (Lazy Sunday), My Day Needs a Soundtrack, I Don't Fight Boys [remix of a Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Song], Year 2065 (population crush)
Sounds Like: A few OCRemixers, Nujabes' instrumental tracks

Rahsaan Patterson
Quality Soul and R&B. You can easily get lost listening to his music hours on end.
Genre: Neo-Soul, R&B
Recommended Albums/Songs: Rahsaan Patterson, Love in Stereo / Sure Boy, Straighten it Out, Soul Free, Forever Yours, Any Other Love, Come Over
Sounds Like: Jill Scott, John Legend, Dwele

Cho PD
The m-flo of Korea. m-flo's got the beats. Cho PD's got the rhymes.
Genre: Hip Hop
Recommended Albums/Songs: Stardom in Future Flow / My Friend, Back in the Dayz, never give u up, RuN
Sounds Like: m-flo

Gotan Project
Fricken chill.
Genre: Tango
Recommended Albums/Songs: all albums are good / Last Tango in Paris
Sounds Like: I dunno. ;-; They're the only tango artists I listen to.

Modjo
Awesome house artist. Makes you want to chill more than dance though.
Genre: House
Recommended Albums/Songs: Modjo / Chillin', On Fire
Sounds Like: I'll think of one later. >.>

More to come later.
Modified by AtaraxiaM, May 4, 2008 4:53 PM

Apr 27, 2008 9:45 PM

I'll also save this post for future edits.

Electronic/Electronica/Dance/DJ/Ambient

Andy Hunter
Andy Hunter's stuff is used in the media a lot, but he is still generally not very popular in the British DJ scene. His combination of electronic and complex techno with his own twist of Christian Lyrics are phenomenal to listen to. His new album is more mellow than his previous work, but it's still a good listen.
Recommended Songs: Come On, The Wonders of You, Wonderful, Sound Pollution.

SGX (Danny Adler)
The songs by Danny Adler (or his more well-known artist name SGX) are the ones that got me hooked onto the electronic genre. Most of his stuff is free and legal. I'm not kidding. His style is pretty varied, so there is something for everybody.
Recommended Songs: Crowdpleaser (Drop the Mic Mix), Deep Breath, Have No Tyrant, Coactive (Over My Shoulder Mix)

Overseer
Rob Overseer has quite a few of his songs in the media too, but like Andy Hunter, he seems to be pretty unknown in general. His style is mostly big-beat/electronic, but his calmer songs like Aquaplane and Meteorology are amazing to listen to as well. He only has 1 studio album, but every song in it is fantastic.
Recommended Songs: Every song in his album, Wreakage

LCD Soundsystem
Cut Copy
BT

Indie Rock/Post-Rock/Post-Hardcore

Thrice
My favorite band for the past few months. I've known them for a few years, but if it wasn't for Neverender's persuasion to buy Artist in the Ambulance, I wouldn't have become hooked.
Recommended Songs: Under A Killing Moon, Night Diving, Between The End And Where We Lie, The Sky Is Falling, Deadbolt, A Living Dance Upon Dead Minds

Broken Social Scene
Technically they are Baroque Pop, but damn, these guys from Canada produce such awesome pop/rock songs.
Recommended Songs: Love & Mathematics, Almost Crimes, Cause = Time, Canada vs America, Hotel, Windsurfing Nation, 7/4 (Shoreline)

This Will Destroy You

Progressive Rock/Metal

Porcupine Tree
Pineapple Thief

Hip-Hop

k-os
Hilltop Hoods

More to come in the future.
Modified by BlueYoshi, Oct 17, 2008 5:03 AM

Apr 28, 2008 6:27 PM

check out every band here. Its all good shit.

Jun 5, 2008 12:10 AM
Nightwish and Diary of Dreams- both awesome bands.

Jun 5, 2008 10:54 PM

I was kinda waiting for a recommendation thread

All the bands I'm gonna mention can be separated into many different genres, but they're all rock related, so I'll leave it at that.

Coheed and Cambria
Fusion of progressive rock and melodic pop. Their style can go from totally upbeat to some pretty dark stuff, but both are great in many ways. I can say this band really satisfied my melodic guitar riff craving which I get pretty often. They even started soloing by their 4th album, which is awesome because I love guitar solos. And the vocals are pretty poppy which makes it fun to sing along.
Recommended Album/Songs:
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth/The Crowing, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth
Good Apollo I'm a Burning Star Vol 1/Welcome Home, The Suffering, The Willing Well III + IV
Good Apollo I'm a Burning Star Vol 2/ No World for Tomorrow, On the Brink

The Receiving End Of Sirens
An experimental/progressive rock band who like to put weird/crazy sounds in their music. But every single noise they put in are always in harmony so you don't have to worry about it sounding too weird. They have some pretty melodic guitars, but their riffs are definitely different from others. But what I love most about this band is their multiple vocalists. After listening to them I realized how creative you can get with the vocals when there are 3 people singing. And I just love it when they break into acapella, which is something I don't see many bands do nowadays.
Recommended Album/Songs:
Between the Heart and the Synapse/Planning a Prison Break, This Armistice
The Earth Sing Mi Fa Mi/The Salesman the husband the lover, Smoke and Mirrors

Thrice
One of my favorite hardcore bands back in the day. I loved their melodic yet heavy guitar riffs. Their album The Illusion of Safety, was just a big mess of riffs and vocals mushed together, and it was awesome. Nowadays, their music has become a little more formatted, and you'll actually hear a chorus in their later albums. Their later stuff has become a lot more experimental, but it's still worth listening to.
Recommended Album/Songs
The Illusion of Safety/Deadbolt, A living dance upon dead minds, Trust
The Artist in the Ambulance/Silhouette, Blood Clots and Black Holes, The Artist in the Ambulance
Idenity Crisis/Identity Crisis, T & C

Mew
Very chill and relaxing music but is pretty upbeat at the same time. They have a quality to their guitars that have a little distortion but sounds pretty clean at the same time. Their song Comforting Sounds is definitely on of the most comforting I've ever heard.
Recommended Album/Songs
Frengers/Am I Wry? No, Comforting Sounds, 156, Snow Brigade

Rx Bandits
A ska punk band that almost sounds hardcore, but not really. Kinda hard to explain them. They're definitely a lot different from other ska bands. They're a lot more progressive and they're not as upbeat. I want to say that they're "heavier", but they're not really heavy at all. I don't know what I'm talking about just go listen
Recommended Album/Songs
. . . And the battle begun/Only for the night, A mouth full of hollow threats, In her Drawer
The Resignation/Never Slept So Soundly, Republic, Recapitulation

Modified by pavyisku, Sep 23, 2008 8:36 PM

Jun 6, 2008 10:39 AM

pavyisku said:
Rx Bandits
A ska punk band that almost sounds hardcore, but not really. Kinda hard to explain them. They're definitely a lot different from other ska bands. They're a lot more progressive and they're not as upbeat. I want to say that they're "heavier", but they're not really heavy at all. I don't know what I'm talking about just go listen
Recommended Album/Songs
. . . And the battle begun/Only for the night, A mouth full of hollow threats, In her Drawer

I saw these guys live, they were pretty good. Then again I wasn't there for them (Bone Thugs ftw)

Jun 6, 2008 10:40 AM

^Aww you're lucky. I guess I never find the opportunities to go to shows

Jun 6, 2008 10:43 AM

Karura said:
pavyisku said:
Rx Bandits
Recommended Album/Songs

I saw these guys live, they were pretty good. Then again I wasn't there for them (Bone Thugs ftw)

lmao, what the fuck. Bone Thugs and Rx Bandits?

Jun 7, 2008 12:20 AM

Neverender said:
Karura said:
pavyisku said:
Rx Bandits
Recommended Album/Songs

lmao, what the fuck. Bone Thugs and Rx Bandits?

There was The Pack (meh) too, and a bunch of random ass artists I never heard of.

Sep 10, 2008 1:06 PM

Edited OP with better recommendations. Old ones sucked.

Sep 11, 2008 2:30 AM

Edited my post too. Added a few more artists.

Neverender's new OP is now my list of what bands I need to check out. That'll take a bloody long time.

Sep 11, 2008 12:27 PM

Updated with links. Have fun.

Sep 24, 2008 2:26 PM

Ludo
Ludo is a band I'm really into. They're a mix of rock/pop and sometimes a little techno. I enjoy all of their songs, all are catchy and fun to listen too.

Sep 30, 2008 8:17 PM

Just currently but my favorites are:

The Afters (Rock)
The Servant (UK alternative rock) -favorite songs: "Orchestra"
Melee (pop rock) -favorite songs: "Stand up"
Kanye West (rap)-favorite songs "Homecoming"
Within Temptation (rock and gothic rock) -favorite songs: "Angel, What have you done, Memories"
Taylor Swift (country)- surprisingly good!

(sorry most of them are rock and plus, if we're not supposed to mention anything about songs, sorry. Just that some of the bands I haven't heard enough of them to get a solid opinion of them yet)
Modified by Jasonbear, Sep 30, 2008 8:21 PM
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Sep 30, 2008 8:56 PM
I'll try, but I suck at explaining why things are cool imho xD

Elliott Smith. Indie folk/accoustic singer/songwriter, influenced by the Beatles and Modest Mouse. Favorite songs: A Question Mark, Needle in the Hay, Coast to Coast, Son of Sam, LA

Rilo Kiley. Indie rock w/ a female vocalist, ranges from indie-sounding to folksy-twang without being cloying. Favorite songs: Wires and Waves, Dreamworld, Portions for Foxes, Dejalo, 15

Tegan and Sara. Indie pop/rock twin sister duo from Canada. Play guitar, piano, keyboard, MalletKAT, percussion. Favorite songs: Like O Like H, My Number, Walking With A Ghost, I Won't Be Left

Chihiro Onitsuka. Japanese female vocalist. Does ballads and folk-rock. V. haunting beautiful voice. Favorite songs: Everyhome, Little Beat Rifle, Infection, Beautiful Fighter, Back Door

Bloc Party. British indie-rock band, mixed with punk and electronica. Inspired by The Smiths and Manic Street Preachers. Favorite songs: The Price of Gas, Banquet, Flux, Helicopter

Keane. Alt-pop-rock band from England. Combines distorted piano with guitar and drums and Tom Chaplin's wonderous vocals. Favorite songs: Walnut Tree, Wolf At The Door, Everybody’s Changing, Is It Any Wonder?

Ben Harper. Male singer-songwriter-guitarist, does a mix of R&B, folk, blues and gospel. Plays guitar, keyboard, bass, drums, various percussion. Favorite songs: Diamonds on the Inside, Amen Omen, Both Sides of the Gun, Lifeline, She's Only Happy in the Sun

Leonard Cohen. Male singer-songwriter and poet, does rock and folk-rock. Has a very unique voice, you'd have to hear it to believe it. Has influenced many singer-songwriters. Favorite songs: Democracy, First We Take Manhattan, Suzanne, Anthem

Oct 4, 2008 1:19 AM

umm...just a list of 5 bands that i think are pretty awesome...all of a different genre^^

1.family force 5
genre: crunk rock
3 cool songs:
-love addict
-D-I-E 4 Y-O-U
-share it with me

2.vyncent flaw
genre: electropunk
1 cool song[click on name for myspace - better quality]:
-revolution electric

3.nevea tears
genre: post-hardcore/electronica
2 cool songs:
-no one ever shuts up
-helium queen

4.sabrepulse
genre: 8bit / nintendocore / chiptune
3 cool songs:
-white tiger
-a girl i know
-horizons

5.creature feature
genre: electro/goth [?] (similar to tim burton IMO)
3 cool songs:
-buried alive
-greatest show unearthed
-such horrible things

Oct 4, 2008 4:30 AM
@Neverender : Now that's what I call a great list. :)

Agalloch : black metal mixed with folk elements, probably one of the best bands I've heard these past two years. I'd recommend In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion, Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds, A Desolation Song... Hell, their entire discography!

White Mice : noise rock/metal, EXcreaMANTRaINTRaVEINaNUS is a sweet, sweet album!

The Black Angels : psychedelic rock, Directions To See A Ghost is awesome.

EyeHateGod : Sludge, one of the best bands of the genre, In The Name Of Suffering is their best album IMO.

Mr. Bungle : avant-garde music, Mike Patton is in it, that reason's enough to give it a listen. Get either California or Disco Volante.

Fantômas : Mike Patton again, more violent than Mr. Bungle. Director's Cut is the album I rate highest (cliché rating but yeah...).

Melvins : one of the most influent bands on today's music, from alt rock to sludge. Fuck Houdini, Stoner Witch is better!

Arab On Radar : noise rock. Yahweh Or The Highway is amazing.

Big Business : very Melvins-ish, kinda normal because both bands share members. Listen to Here Come The Waterworks or Tour EP III.

Red Sparowes : post-rock, they're getting better and better each time you listen to them and each time they make a new album. Their latest EP was a nice surprise, as I wasn't aware they were making one.

Boris : as Neverender's list says, they've got a shitload of styles blended into their music. Check out their work with Michio Kurihara (Rainbow album), Sunn O))) and Merzbow as well.

Baroness : a relatively new sludge band I've stumbled upon, their debut album The Red Album is a nice listen.

Mouth Of The Architect : for fans of Neurosis and Isis, The Ties That Blind is good, latest album is a bit weak IMO.

Lightning Bolt : one of the best bands of noise rock I know of, Hypermagic Mountain - Load is amazing.

Maserati : I'm not sure how to classify them, post-rock or not, just give Invention For The New Season a listen.

Antaeus : Cut Your Flesh And Worship Satan is the best album from this French BM band. Fans of Anaal Natrakh will love it.

Ramesses : band founded by members of Electric Wizard if I recall correctly, sludge/doom. Listen to Misanthropic Alchemy.

AmenRa : Belgian sludge/doom band. Mass IIII is great!

Deathspell Omega : good French BM Band, get Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice.

Alcest : ambient black metal band started by Neige, ex-Peste Noire. Listen to Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde.

OOIOO : formed by Yoshimi from the noise rock band Boredoms. It's the same style, maybe a little more accessible.

Lifelover : suicidal black metal, Pulver is the album I find myself listening to the most.

pg.lost : Swedish post-rock, their debut album It's Not Me, It's You! is good.

Yndi Halda : post-rock, get Enjoy Eternal Bliss.

Gojira : French technical death metal, From Mars To Sirius is better than their latest album (The Way Of All Flesh) IMO.

Coffins : Japanese death metal, Buried Death is great and has a nice doom-ish feeling.

Neuraxis : technical death metal. Album to get (though I only have that one) is The Thin Line Between.

Sigh : Japanese avant-garde black(?) metal, kind of melodic. Scenario IV Dread Dreams is very good.

Too lazy to put links. More recommendations to come! In the meanwhile, you can go to my last.fm to see what I'm listening to in general.

Edit : hmmm, I didn't think my post would be this long. :O

Oct 15, 2008 10:18 AM

Keldian
Genre: Symphonic Cosmic Power Metal with Progressive elements.
Quite atmospheric, talented and really underrated band.

Scar Symmetry
Genre: Melodic Death Metal with Progressive Elements.
Quite underrated too. Amazing vocalist.

Steelheart
Genre: Glam/Heavy Metal
Awesome and YET AGAIN Underrated. One of strongest Vocalists in history of metal music.

Motley Crue
Genre: Glam/Heavy Metal
One of the most awesome glam bands still alive.

Savatage
Genre: Progressive Metal
The Kings of Progressive who (almost) were the first to ever do this genre.

Oct 15, 2008 10:28 AM

ChaosAdept said:

Baroness : a relatively new sludge band I've stumbled upon, their debut album The Red Album is a nice listen.

Just saw them live a few days ago. Good band.

Also, Melvins/Agalloch/Lightning Bolt/Sigh = yessss

Oct 17, 2008 4:03 AM
the_seventh_l said:
Elliott Smith. Indie folk/accoustic singer/songwriter, influenced by the Beatles and Modest Mouse. Favorite songs: A Question Mark, Needle in the Hay, Coast to Coast, Son of Sam, LA

Yeah man, seriously. This is some good shit here and anyone who doesn't check out Elliott is a whacked.

Oct 21, 2008 7:08 AM

wtfyourface said:
Tilly and the Wall (Indie Pop)
They don't use percussion, why? because they use tap shoes and hand claps instead.
Recommended Albums/Songs - Wild Like Children / You and I Misbehaving
Sounds Like: Amazing, never want to stop dancing

I saw them with Bright Eyes, they were amazing.

And to think I thought you were giving me a hard time about listening to a lot of saddle creek when you were actually just suprised that I listened to good music and not being a smart ass about it >_<

I guess I'll recommend a couple now too.

Interpol(indie)
If you like Mew or similar bands you can't pass up Interpol
Recommended Albums/SongsOur Love to Admire/ NARC/Obstacle 1/2

Desaparecidos(indie/political)
Conor Oberst's old side project, politically inclined for the most part
Recommended Albums/SongsRead Music/Speak Spanish / Greater Omaha/ The Man and the Wife, The Latter

Piebald(indie rock/pop)
I havn't met too many people who liked them, they are a little cooky but they have their amazing songs like most bands.
Recommended Albums/Songs We Are the Only Friends We Have/ Look, I Just Don't Like You/American Hearts/Rock Revolution

thats it for the time being, anyways most of the bands that I would want everyone to listen to are already posted ^_^

Oct 22, 2008 5:01 PM

AUDACITY
cool band. cool songs.
sounds like this:

the_seventh_l said:
Leonard Cohen. Male singer-songwriter and poet, does rock and folk-rock. Has a very unique voice, you'd have to hear it to believe it. Has influenced many singer-songwriters. Favorite songs: Democracy, First We Take Manhattan, Suzanne, Anthem
I second this recommendation

He likes Celtic mysticism. .. . .

Apr 19, 2009 8:08 PM

Hey Neverender, you probably need to update your recs with all that jazz you've been listening to lately.

Apr 20, 2009 9:59 PM

I'll make an updated list when I get the chance

May 3, 2009 8:25 AM
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Post-rock from Montreal.
''Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven'' is a great album.

May 5, 2009 5:22 AM

Some nice stuff rec'ed in here.
The ambient/black metal/post-punk parts is of interest to me and I'll check some of the bands, I don't know yet, out.

From what is already named I second Agalloch, Amesoeurs, Alcest, Eluvium, Ef, God is an Astronaut and Sigh.

Also maybe
Devin Townsend (prog metal/rock, ambient),
maudlin of the Well (prog/avant-garde metal, experimental),
Kayo Dot (experimental something),
Ulver (folk/black first, then electronic/ambient/folk),
Midori/ミドリ(punk, experimental, jazz fusion).

May 19, 2009 7:30 PM

Intellegent Hip Hop Recommenations

Extended Famm - Happy Fuck You Songs
Ugly duckling
Blue Scholars
Panacea (The scenic route is absolutely one of the best hip hop albums of all time)
CunninLynguists
EMC
The Cool Kids
Mathematik
Aesop Rock
Immortal Technique
Lupe Fiasco
Heiroglyphics
Del Tha Funky Homosapien (If you haven't heard the album Deltron 3030 then you Don't know what your missing)
Rehab
The Grouch
Buckshot & 9th Wonder
Blu & Exile
Jay Electronica
Dalek
K'naan
Dan the automator
Prolyphic And Reanimator (The Ugly Truth is orgasmic to the ears)
K-os
Scholar (Philly Rapper that has barely made it yet, I came across his mixtape "Insanity Plea" and I must say it is fucking brilliant.)

Just a few for now. If you wana know albums just send me a message. Or hit me up on aim. Ill put some other genre recommendations up here later.

May 19, 2009 7:31 PM

GeminiEye said:
Intellegent Hip Hop Recommenations

Immortal Technique

oh

May 19, 2009 8:22 PM

+1

I wouldn't put Rehab under intelligent hiphop either.

May 19, 2009 8:55 PM

Meh they are quite good though.

May 20, 2009 5:27 AM

I didn't say, that they're not good, they're just not "intelligent hiphop" in the way that term is meant.

IT is more "political hiphop" and although Tech's message is pretty seriuos, his delivery is too plain and obvious.

Rehab is just a better example of rap/rock.

May 20, 2009 6:29 PM

Jun 9, 2009 8:35 AM

Boom Boom Satellites

<3
<3

Aug 3, 2009 5:25 PM

There's a list of bands in my blog "My music"

Punk, rock, screamo, alt, etc..

.[We Are The Ocean]. - "Nothing Good Has Happened Yet"

Oct 18, 2009 2:52 AM

Soil & Pimp Sessions
It's pretty energetic jazz and a bit more normal by today's standards (the songs have a more conventional structure, etc.). I think it's pretty easy to get into.
Recommended songs: Suffocation, Paraiso (michiko & hatchin op), Crush, Avalanche

Mouse on the keys
Piano Jazz with complicated rhythms.
Recommended songs: Toccatina, Sezzesion, Saigo no Bonsan

Hotel Costes
This is actually a compilation and it's pretty big (8 cds so far, I think), but it's just about all you need if you want lounge.
Recommended songs: I don't know. There's a "best of" compilation out there, so you can try that.

Jackson Conti
Hip-hop/jazz/latin, I suppose. No vocals, by the way. It's a collab between Madlib and some drummer. My favourite of Madlib's projects, but you might like some of the others.
Recommended songs: Amazon Stroll, Brazillian Sugar, Nao Tem Nada Nao

edit:

An Emerald City
Post-rock with ethnic instruments and an eastern theme.
Recommended Songs: Reindeer running, Mull Pasha
Modified by Nyuu3, Mar 24, 2010 2:47 PM

Oct 18, 2009 2:57 AM

^ Good stuff. Haven't heard Jackson Conti. Looks fairly interesting.

Have you heard Rin Toshite Shigure? Somewhat similar to 9mm. Could've sworn I heard another band that sounded similar recently...

Pages (2) [1] 2 »