Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2008 4:38 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this society is looking more than a little bigoted, not sure if i'm going to like this show now. i'll give it a couple more episodes tho.
Jun 29, 2008 7:23 PM

Mar 2007
HAHA bigoted... its a way of life and everyones happy for the most part. Just because its not what 'we' consider a normal lifestyle who are we to question a towns normal way of life?

Anyways their customs are wierd but it its obvious this episode is to set the way this society works. So far i'll run with it ^_^

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 29, 2008 10:37 PM

Feb 2008
iirc, i mainly referred to it as bigoted because they weren't allowed to have money but they had to work but only certain places would employ them, and then when they were allowed to buy anything at all it had to be used. it just seemed like the haibane were being forced into the role of second class citizens.

btw, just because people are smiling doesn't mean they're happy, it just means they know better than to frown or make a fuss.

ofc, i'm probably just reading too much into things.
Jun 30, 2008 10:51 AM

Mar 2007
well later on they're referenced alot by humans as 'lucky' Its obvious they had their own way of running things. And in my opinion they seem to be ordered by that religious sect as how to conduct business. Further into the episodes it looks more like a way of life rather than a forced situation.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 30, 2008 11:38 AM

Feb 2008
wasn't really talking about events from later episodes, just my impressions from this one. if you want to talk about the series as a whole, then either do it on the last episode or start a new thread, because its practically guaranteed to contain spoilers.
jacobpaigeJul 15, 2008 11:19 AM
Jul 4, 2008 9:33 AM

May 2008
I guess my doubts will be answered later in the next episodes...
But, like episode 1, it is a slow paced epi.

I enjoyed this episode! Rakka wears a dress...in school uniform ways^_^
Jul 9, 2008 9:22 PM

Jun 2007
It didn't really feel slow paced, to me anyway. Letting the Haibane only own used things is an interesting concept.

Rakka's static was so cute! :3
Jul 15, 2008 8:38 AM

Apr 2008
I think this is slow, before they got to the town I was yawning away wondering why I was still watching. Then you get this euphemism of racism & immigration & stuff & then these random traders. It seems to have no idea where it's going. 13 episodes? Shouldn't have direction by now?
Jul 19, 2008 4:48 AM

Oct 2007
to me it wasnt slow at all.
i really feel soory for the haibane, thats not a life what they got it is more like jail.
Aug 20, 2008 4:00 PM

Aug 2008
Rekka has chosen cute suite :)
Apr 18, 2009 2:41 PM

Aug 2008
I guess this story has something to do with angels and humans living alongside together. However, it looks like they have certain traditions that strictly needs to be followed. I guess this episode is one way of portraying the relationship between them.

I'm really curious about the outside world. I wonder why they are forbidden to go outside?

Overall, it was a great episode. I am intrigued about their existence with the humankind. I am pretty sure that the succeeding episodes will fetch me the answers.

May 25, 2009 8:37 PM
May 2009
I'm loving the pace of it so far, actually. The mystery surrounding the town, the toga, and their lifestyle in general is enough to keep me pushing on to episode 3.
Jun 9, 2009 1:32 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Very nice episode, enjoyed every minute of it. Looks like the crows Rakka already saw in her dream hold some meaning and there will probably be some kind of problems with the society. Looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 11, 2009 10:12 AM

Jan 2009

Do a wing clap? Sure, why not?

Anywho, I was glad to see the history surrounding Old Home - An old abandoned dorm for a school that used to be there.

I was also surprised to notice humans living around the area until the Haibane walked into town.

Thrift Shop guy: "Don't 'ugh!' me!" That reaction was priceless.

Now we get some explanation to what Haibane Renmei is; an organization that ensures they live normally, in some sense. They also were the ones responsible for setting up such guidelines for the Haibane. One of them being that they have an obligation to only use whatever humans aren't using anymore. Also Haibane are not to recieve any money from their employment. Earnings are recorded in their special notebooks provided by the Haibane Renmei, and used when purchasing things.

Are the Toga a just different nationality of people? According to Nemu, they are the ones responsible for bringing in the carts to the market.

It also appears that not only the Haibane, but the townspeople themselves are not permitted to leave the town, and that the Toga are the only ones to come and go for trading purposes. Even more, they can't directly communicate with the Toga; the Haibane Renmei Communicator is there to speak with the Toga through sign language as the Toga are not permitted to use their voices.

It's good to know that a portion of the profits are used to support utilities at Old Home and the Young Feathers.

Interesting that a crow would appear like it did the first episode. That look from the Communicator sure looked intimidating.

I gotta wonder why the people of this town can't leave its own walls and that people as mysterious as the Toga are allowed in.

Good episode overall. It gives the viewer a better understanding of the world the Haibane live in.

Dec 9, 2009 4:54 PM

Apr 2008
So far I'm liking it. It didn't feel too slow for me. I like the pace of it.

I'm curious to know more.
Jun 23, 2010 9:43 PM
May 2008
This episode was a definite improvement over the first, imo. I guess having a few new aspects to question helps keep things interesting.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 2, 2010 4:19 PM

Dec 2009
Good stuff! Finally Rikka's halo sticks :) .
Such junk...
Sep 12, 2010 7:39 AM

Mar 2010
This is just too good. I am in love with artwork, Rakka seems nice and story... Well, I think it's going to be interesting.
Sep 21, 2010 1:40 PM

Jan 2010
well it got me,this is already so cute and heartwarming :)
Rakka's awesome ^^

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 5, 2011 3:33 PM

Jun 2009
I like it so far. I feel intriged about the real nature of the Haibane and their relation with the inhabitants of the town and the Toga.

I’m enjoying this series.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Feb 20, 2011 11:34 PM

Oct 2008
Pretty interesting.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 10, 2011 7:19 PM

Oct 2009
Wow, the setting is so interesting. I thought it would only consist of the angels, but there are regular people as well. With a ton of rules...I'm curious to know what's beyond those walls.

Also the episode felt like 2 minutes, I know that I've found a good anime when the episodes feel like they are over in the blink of an eye.
May 12, 2012 7:53 PM

Jan 2012
I can see where people are coming from that the haibane do seem a little lower-class with the fact they are only allowed to used second hand clothes and such, but then you have to take into account, that NOBODY is allowed to leave the town, NOBODY is allowed to speak to the Toga, also profits do go to the old home and young feathers, so I think it balances out...

Really liked the episode overall, got a lot of information about the town etc, also seeing the crow again, very interesting, nice pace, direction is evident, I am pleased so far!
Dec 20, 2012 12:36 AM

Feb 2010
Pretty weird and interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2013 11:32 AM

May 2012
Some more background and story development, it's getting quite interesting!
Mar 12, 2013 1:05 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting that they can't use money.
My only question is whether they age and die.
Will those kids stay kids.
Too bad they can't fly.
Also no one used the word 'angel' yet.
Mar 12, 2013 1:40 AM

Mar 2013
RediceRyan said:
Interesting that they can't use money.
My only question is whether they age and die.
Will those kids stay kids.
Too bad they can't fly.
Also no one used the word 'angel' yet.

The audience is being teased at this point. We don't know anything for sure.

And yes, I have noticed that they haven't mentioned angels yet.
Apr 26, 2013 7:40 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I liked this episode! We learned more about the society they live in and how it works. The Toga people seem really interesting...Rakka is adapting really well so far, and I wonder why Reki seemed kind of down when Rakka came back. She seems like an mysterious person.
May 24, 2013 10:42 AM

Aug 2007
The pace isn't slow at all -- it just isn't "action packed" as some people are used too.
The show is made for you to appreciate the artwork and symbolism as well as learning more about the characters and the haibane's culture. Through Rakka's questions and discoveries, you journey with her.

Jul 31, 2013 5:21 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Intriguing society this is. The series is a slow burner for sure, but interesting nonetheless.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 7, 2013 4:29 PM

Apr 2013
So humans and haibane are living together in one town surrounded by huge walls and no one except the Toga are allowed to go beyond the boundaries.
This looks very interesting.
Always-HungryOct 7, 2013 4:34 PM
Nov 30, 2013 7:22 PM
Mar 2008
Ranivus said:
HAHA bigoted... its a way of life and everyones happy for the most part. Just because its not what 'we' consider a normal lifestyle who are we to question a towns normal way of life?

Anyways their customs are wierd but it its obvious this episode is to set the way this society works. So far i'll run with it ^_^

They are bigoted though. They can only use secondhand items, they live segregated, they can't have their own money ..

And who are we to not question a racist society?
Dec 29, 2013 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
Is every episode going to be filled with scenes containing these annoying "young feathers"? I can't stand small children in anime's, so should I just stop watching here?
Feb 27, 2014 1:15 PM

Sep 2011
Lovely town.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Mar 16, 2014 8:58 AM

Dec 2013
Interesting.
Apr 16, 2014 4:12 AM

Sep 2008
I'm constantly getting bad vibes about everything. Feels like there's a dark side to this anime.
May 10, 2014 1:06 AM

Sep 2013
neopsych said:
Interesting.

I'm intrigued by the role of the crow now-

Flight? Black wings? Looked down upon by society? IDK.
Jun 4, 2014 5:19 AM

May 2011
the suspense...is killing me. Am I the only one who feels very anxious yet anticipatory about this show? The subtlety is evident.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Nov 28, 2014 6:30 AM

Jan 2012
this anime is so boring so far.
I drop it

Dec 31, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2009
I'm enjoying it too. Nothings really happened yet for some reason it was very easy to enjoy. I was captivated and looking forward to continuing. Well done.
Feb 5, 2015 7:00 PM

Aug 2014
I was worried that I wouldn't have anything to theorize about in this episode but then those Toga guys showed up and the plot thickened.
- The Toga could be the beings that keep them there. If this is some sort of Purgatory, then they would be the angels/demons/other that keeps watch over them and supplies them with their basic needs.
- I feel like there may be some catch to the notebook system that they introduced this episode.
- Those crows probably help the Toga watch over society. They reminded me of the crows in the Serial Experiments Lain episode.
- Reki's dream involved stones. This could mean she was stoned to death, or maybe she fell from a rocky cliff or something.
- A few questions were made in this episode like why only the Toga can go outside and why there are only a few Haibane and they can't make money.
- The part with the Toga reminded of the part in Texhnolyze when
Apr 11, 2015 5:54 AM

Nov 2013
aww, the shopkeeper gave her little holes for her wings :3
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 25, 2015 6:22 PM

Dec 2012
There are many customs that are practiced to distinguish the Haibane from the townspeople. I really like the thought put into all of that as it does somewhat mimic what to expect when viewing a culture different from one's own. It's strange and seemingly restricting but if the people are happy with it then it can only be respected. Although with that said, I have a feeling it isn't going to be that simple.
May 12, 2015 1:44 PM

Jun 2013
Im really liking the mood of this anime
The ending song is beautiful
May 18, 2015 6:27 PM

Feb 2013
Info dump on the world they live in. How long till the go outside the wall? (ep8 or 10 probably)

Halo is like an ankle bracelet? lets the evil organization track them? (may be wishful thinking, I'll find out soon enough)
Jun 8, 2015 9:14 PM

May 2012
interesting, i kinda like the comparison of the haibane to the crow, subtle :p
very mysterious so far, im interested
Sep 26, 2015 2:13 AM

Jul 2013
Getting that strange feeling that I'm gonna like this show, it's so chill, or I just like the atmosphere of old animes... idk
Oct 18, 2015 5:49 PM
Nov 2014
I like Rakka's new outfit, she looks really cute wearing that.
Dec 3, 2015 2:28 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm it was simple yet grabbed me as it appears mysterious and you just want to know more..

Nice new outfit rekka has :)
Jan 13, 2016 4:59 AM

Jan 2014
I liked Rakka's dress.
It was cute and nice.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.