Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Nov 4, 2016 9:35 PM

Apr 2014
bruh when Johan woke up suddenly in the hospital i nearly pissed myself. that was easily the scariest moment in this anime thus far and the only time i genuinely jumped a little

a happy ending doesn't suit this anime in my opinion. or maybe at least have the happy ending but with nina or johan dead, preferably both. i just can't see Johan being a normal college student, walking around and you know, not killing or manipulating people. i liked the hospital scene the most, i believe that it's true and that it's what Johan wanted to show Tenma. still not bad but i would have liked something a bit more complicated.

it would be amazing if lunge was right the entire time about Johan being imaginary and that Tenma was behind everything, although it would be very difficult to pull off without plot holes.

anyways....the twins' mother is somehow alive. and apparently they have different names. so that means Nina has 3 names......................and we don't even get to find out! that's the most frustrating thing in this whole entire anime. Johan is apparently not Johan

i'll still give it a 9/10 just because there's nothing like it and it definitely kept me entertained and the characters were so amazing and realistic. i'm still a bit picky about a few things that i noticed so i'll deduct a point
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2016 5:52 PM

Jan 2016
if any anime if gonna make me watch more than 70 episodes chances are im gonna give it a ten. i dont have any final words on this series beside i wish they showed the reunion of all the MCs.
im apollo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they/them pls
Dec 10, 2016 12:10 PM

Jun 2015
so everyone gets a happy ending. Looks like Tenma won't sleep ever again.

Pretty much I expected Johan to be in a coma.

This was the scariest part in the whole series. I got seriously frightened.

That part in the end, is he really awake. Is Dr Tenma a good way to awaken Johan from his coma?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 10, 2016 12:21 PM

Jun 2015
owlpoop said:
bruh when Johan woke up suddenly in the hospital i nearly pissed myself. that was easily the scariest moment in this anime thus far and the only time i genuinely jumped a little

a happy ending doesn't suit this anime in my opinion. or maybe at least have the happy ending but with nina or johan dead, preferably both. i just can't see Johan being a normal college student, walking around and you know, not killing or manipulating people. i liked the hospital scene the most, i believe that it's true and that it's what Johan wanted to show Tenma. still not bad but i would have liked something a bit more complicated.

it would be amazing if lunge was right the entire time about Johan being imaginary and that Tenma was behind everything, although it would be very difficult to pull off without plot holes.

anyways....the twins' mother is somehow alive. and apparently they have different names. so that means Nina has 3 names......................and we don't even get to find out! that's the most frustrating thing in this whole entire anime. Johan is apparently not Johan

i'll still give it a 9/10 just because there's nothing like it and it definitely kept me entertained and the characters were so amazing and realistic. i'm still a bit picky about a few things that i noticed so i'll deduct a point

I don't usually quote someone who commented that long ago but I had to say about that happy ending thingy I really doubt it. I mean Johan wasn't in his bed in the last scene. There's a strong possibility that nothing will happen but this scene makes you overthink. It may be a happy ending for the characters but not for us, nor Tenma I suppose.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 23, 2016 12:15 PM

Dec 2015
Couldn't think of a better reason to end the story while here in Europe. Thrilling tale through to the very end, 10/10.
~
Dec 23, 2016 12:21 PM

May 2016
I was satisfied with the ending 9/10 for the entire series
Dec 27, 2016 3:38 PM

Feb 2015
It was ok. Johan faking scary tho.
Jan 15, 2017 2:10 PM

Nov 2009
Mokey said:
At one point Nina "discovers" that Johan has multiple personalities, but this is just never mentioned again.

Because it was explained by Gilen to Tenma that that was a complete lie. Johan played with them. Just that, nothing else. False presumption from both Tenma and Nina.
Mokey said:
Why would Richard down a bottle of whiskey when he was so excited to see his daughter?

He tried to convince himself that everything is going well and it really did got well until that point where all his burried regrets were brought back on the surface by Johan. Richard's guilt ended his life.
Mokey said:
Why would Johan need an apprentice? He obviously doesn't consider the guy a friend. Is he just grooming him to be a useful pawn as a politician?

My guess is that he did not had anything to do with the BAby, nor Peter Chapek who were the minds behind the searching for an 'apprentice', 'subsitute' for Johan to model him into their own visions and using him for their own agendas. Johan probably met with them to be close to Peter in order to find out about Franz and keep close eye on his sister's actions. He did not care about his 'double'. It was solely the organizations' wish.

Mokey said:
When Johan first sees the picture book, he freaks out and it is never clear why he has such a dramatic break in character. Does he regain memories at that point or something? If that is the case, then what the hell was his motivation before seeing the book?

He has this breakdown because either he remembered the book and some other fragments of his memory, or just he realized, freaking realized his life was based on a book! His motivation before ending up in Germany with his sister as kids was to run away from the monster (Franz), so he can never get them.

Mokey said:
It is never really explained why so many powerful people followed Johan's plan to the point of murdering others and we don't know what any of the experiments were for.

Several times it was mentioned - making perfect soldiers, creating a dictator even. The events are after the WW2, the Cold War and the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Isn't this enough? Even some of the characters mentioned it a few times.
Jan 20, 2017 3:25 PM

May 2015
JunkYardHiro said:
Just finished watching Monster. Great series overall, but one thing has me scratching my head.

Why did Johan want to kill himself?

I figure he was really upset that his whole excuse for being a psychopath and all was because of his sister's memories (not his). She got her memories mixed with his too afaik and she tried to kill herself...
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jan 24, 2017 8:45 AM

Jun 2013
Enjoyable series. I'm glad that Tenma didn't end up killing anyone throughout the whole series. Still sad that Grimmer died, he was definitely one of my favorite characters.

The only gripe I have is the ending. From scanning the discussion, it seems that the general consensus is that Johan killed himself as indicated by the open window. I honestly think that Johan escaped and he'll end up doing what he did before. After acting like he did for so long, just being forgiven doesn't seem like it'd be enough to instantly change him.
Feb 1, 2017 6:25 PM
Feb 2015
this was a strong really strong ride of feelings,i cant express what i feel and think in anyway but it is/was and will always be one of a kind... could of been better for me... many things to say but cannot experss
LouMFeb 1, 2017 6:41 PM
Feb 4, 2017 2:48 PM

Mar 2008
great anime, really enjoyed it. It had its weak and nonsense moments, but it got way better towards the end.. especially with the introduction of some very interesting characters like Grimmer and Martin.

Tenma was an amazing mc.
Feb 22, 2017 5:28 PM
Dec 2014
Okay, I've read some of the interpretations on here and I just have to pinch in on that!

The name of the last episode "The REAL Monster" is definitely pointing towards their mother. Let me elaborate why.

In the scene with Tenma and her she says basically that she is willing to talk about the things that Tenma is wondering about even if they are scary. But she makes a point out of it: only this once. What can be more scary than a mother prioritizing only 1 of her children. It might have been an option if one was older and the other was younger, but she is not given an escape route like that. They are twins and are very much alike. In the episode they are even dressed completely alike to underline the fact that for a normal mother it would be impossible to choose between them. Especially when both are begging to not let go of their hands. Their voices are different though and for the first time we can hear young Johan's voice in this particular scene. So obviously the mother hears which one of them is which and she chooses to give up Nina/Anna.

This makes Johan snap. He is so mad with the choice his mother made that when Nina/Anna comes back (even though she actually was rescued by Klaus Poppe/Frans Bonaparta), he still is mad at them for putting his sister through such horrible experience. At this point he is so upset that he really takes everything Nina/Anna tells him to heart and makes her memories his own.

In the beginning of the last episode the doctor and Eva have a conversation about how conveniently people are built: they forget all the bad things and only the good memories remain. This is obviously not the case with Johan. And i think this is why the doctor is left questioning himself at the end of the scene if it really is that convenient.

When Tenma tells Johan in the hospital that he spoke with their mother and that she said she loves him/Johan, he wakes up and glares at Tenma. Even though it turns out to be Tenma's imagination, we are shown how Johan would actually react to his mothers words, that he in fact hates her and considers her to be the real monster. He says "let me tell you about that time when that monster appeared in front of me". At this point Johan hates her so much for what she did, for making him hate the rest of the humanity and doubt everything and everyone except for his sister.

Remember that this woman, their mother had plenty of opportunities to reach out to her kids, get in contact with them, apologize. Instead she is hiding out in a monastery in France and its hard to find her. We get that from the conversation that the thief and Dieter have. That's who Tenma told him to find.

At Grimmer's grave Lunge has a conversation with the lawyer and the young detective Suk about his daughter and the fact that they've started to email each other. Even coldhearted "computer" Lunge is making an effort to amend the relationship with his daughter! He says in the end: "We have so much we want to say while drinking a cold beer." Johan's and Nina/Anna's mother never made any efforts at contacting her children. Which puts her in an even worse light than Lunge. One of her "traits" that made Johan snap.

Why would she hide? My guess is: bad consciousness! She knows what she did and she knows Johan hates her, while Nina/Anna forgave her. That's what he ment when he said "no, wrong", when Nina/Anna said that she forgives him. He wanted her to say that she forgives their mother.

This is also the reason he asked his sister to shoot him. Because he desperately wanted to be "worse" than her, he was ashamed for being saved and for his siter to have had to suffer. "I am the bad guy, I am the monster, shoot ME". That's his mantra throughout the series.

And finally, the last moments of the hospital scene when we are shown the open window and a flapping curtain as if from a strong wind suction. Remember this is a police hospital, which normally would have bars over the windows no matter which floor the room is on. In this scene our attention is drawn to the window several times and each time the curtains are just hanging down, the window is closed. Johan pretends to be asleep or in a coma and waits for what Tenma has to say. Tenma spaces out as he stares at the window, in his mind it is now open and the curtains are flapping in the wind. He turns his gaze to Johan who now seems to be wide awake. In this sort of flashback/imagination moment while Johan is talking to Tenma the window is closed and the curtains are still. This scene where Tenma is imagining things has a purpose. It shows what the mother told Tenma and it makes Tenma realize how Johan felt about it: "which one of us was unwanted?" The most horrible thing a mother can do is to make her child think that he/she is unwanted. Remember the episode with Milos and Johan convincing him of being an unwanted child? Remember what Milos tried to do when he realized his mother didn't want him? He tried to jump off the bridge. No, that episode wasn't random, it was pointing towards the final episode and Johan's decision.

When hearing about their mother saying she loves him/Johan, but not even making an effort to apologize or meet him or Nina/Anna, Johan makes up his mind and jumps out of the window. An act that, as i already mentioned, makes the curtain flap in the end of the scene. Also during the ending song the angle of the "camera" is so that we can see the window clearly. The curtains are flapping, the window is open.

Johan didn't have anything else he wanted or felt that he had to do. He was a criminal and only had jail time waiting for him. He couldn't escape as the entire Germany and the neighboring countries knew who he was. Remember the newspapers Eva was collecting? It was called "Europe's worst murder crime" or something like that. Johan had to die in the end. Since Tenma couldn't be the one to shoot him (because its out of character and he was the innocent one all along, the plot couldn't make him a bad guy), he had to end up taking his own life. Just like he tried several times before.

What i don't seem to understand is that Johan stepped out of bed on the "wrong" side. If he wanted to get to the window the blanket should have been flipped over on the side closest to the window and not on the side where the chair was standing. Maybe it's just a drawing mistake by the studio. I'll have to check the last manga chapter of Monster to determine that.
Lady0905Apr 30, 2017 6:47 AM
Feb 26, 2017 3:23 PM
Jul 2016
I loved it. It's my favorite story of all time.

As for my take on the ending, at first I thought... "NO FREAKING WAY!" but then I started to think about it and realize how genius it was.

Again, it was a mindblowingly phenomenal series, and I hope to experience another story like it, whether it is an anime or not.
Always take into consideration that I suck at getting my point across correctly within the first few edits... please.
Mar 1, 2017 11:54 PM

Dec 2016
Amazing series. I give it a 9.5/10. Some final thoughts about the ending...

1. I dont think Johan will ever kill again because there is no point for him to prove anymore. He wanted Tenma to shoot him to demostrate how saving lifes is not worth it as humans are apparently simply born to die, which in the end didnt happen. I hope he realises he was wrong all this time. Nina also knew this as she wished to have never shoot him when she was asked too. I think she gave up on helping him then, which made Johan think his point was right.
2. I believe knowing the real names is not necessary now, as both Nina and Johan have already build up a life around those names, which will allow people to know and remember them, which was the whole point of having a name.
3. I think there was no real monster in the end, as pretty much every antagonist were just victims of their circumstances. Nobody is born inherently evil, at least it has not been proven posible. I think Johan would have never become the antogonist if there was no experiment in the first place. He would have had a simple life with his family in Prague. Anyway, if there was someone near to be a monster or guilty of everything it is obviously Franz Bonaparta (even himself admitted that, after realising the disastrous outcomes of those experiments). He was the source of all these problems.
Dr_Manhattan95Mar 2, 2017 12:04 AM
Mar 10, 2017 9:26 PM

Feb 2017
I think that the scene at the end wasn't a cliffhanger, it was a metaphor of the monster that was living inside of Johan's body that escaped once that Tenma told him his truly real name. The ED credits always were about the nameless monster story and here we can see that he is gone for ever.

It felt like Nina is in love with Tenma, yes may be Tenma is 15 years approximately above her but there are cases like that in real life and for me they would make a great couple... they were both so fucking nice always.
Mar 26, 2017 10:52 AM

Jan 2014
the real monster was their mother.... DA DA DAAAM.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Apr 20, 2017 12:03 AM
Sep 2013
Excellent series. Would give straight up 10/10 but the pacing was blisteringly slow mid-way and I fell asleep in a number of episodes. Also the art style is so damn bland. I know it's 90's art but even for 90's art it's super duper.... uninspired. Like the only noticeable style it had was a more rounded "cartoon-ish" style to the characters instead of the sharp pointy's most anime goes with, but still that wasn't all that fun to look at to be honest.
8/10 for me.

But this is one of the very, very few animes that I've seen that have actually made me a little bit scared. "horror" anime is never, ever scary but this show had it's moments where it actually made me feel uneasy. This would be an incredible live action series if handled by a capable director. I really hope Del Toro actually makes his HBO "Monster" adaption like he said he wants to. Would pay big money to see a good live action adaptation.
Apr 30, 2017 6:23 AM
Dec 2014
guulaash said:

i think so. i elaborated on that in an explanation a bit longer up :-)
May 22, 2017 10:40 PM
Aug 2016
just... fuck everything
Jun 15, 2017 9:35 PM

Jul 2015
Did this ending differ from the manga?
Jun 16, 2017 4:07 PM

May 2015
I almost had a heart attack when Johan just stood up out of nowhere, did that conversation between them actually happen or was it all in Tenmas head (I think it was all in his head, Tenma who had studied and pursued Johan so long could imagine what would be one of the remaining torturous things for Johan to have to wonder about)...

In retrospect, that episode with the boy who was always wondering around and looking for his mother is pretty important. That episode was titled "The Cruelest Thing" and what I took away from it is that the cruelest thing is to come to "realize" how little/insignificant/unwanted you are. Johan let that boy see for himself the kind of place his mother came from and it destroyed the kid to the point where he was about to throw himself in the water. Johan was probably talking from experience and he wanted others to go through the same pain and turmoil he went through. In that sense, it's interesting how he never killed himself on his own. He always asked someone else to shoot while he drove other people to despair (and suicide) by pressing where it hurts.

Johan is Cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs, has been f*cked up in the head ever since his mother decided to choose between him and his sister for the experiment. He felt betrayed by his own mother in the sense that he never knew if his mother had picked him or just mistaken her sister for him. That made him question his own standing in this game we call "Life" if he was trully wanted by his mother or not, After that experience, he started reading the "Monster Without A Name" while being alone in the room and the last page struck him, add to that Anna/Nina stories about what she went through in the mansion "I am YOU, you are ME", hence the dressing him like Anna/Nina too and absorbing all her memories. That was really his first instance of devouring another person and usurping her identity + the Kinderheim 511 experience the Johan we know was born.

Got to say though this is one of the best anime I've ever seen, the characters were great the author managed to give every one of them their own unique personality, the plot was so spooky but realistic at the same time I can’t even count the number of plot twists considering how old it is this really was way ahead of its time.

Not too sure if I like the ending I wanted Johan to be held accountable for his crimes not escape again but still pretty darn good anime would absolutely watch again.
Jun 19, 2017 3:51 AM

Oct 2012
The long journey is finally come to an end
I don't know.. I really don't know
The ending is sucks for me
Open ending is the worst kind of ending for me :(
"Signature removed"
Jun 24, 2017 6:05 AM

Jan 2014
A really great anime. I don't know about anyone else but this anime took me on a thrilling journey. I admit some of the episode were kind of slow-paced but it is something a masterpiece need.
My favourite character so far was Dieter ofcourse. I lived him as a charecter. He inspires me. Even though he went through such a tough childhood he welcomed the change Tenma gave him and didn't gave up.
The ending was excellent, happy but with a molecule of horror. I enjoyed the Anime overall.
Jun 27, 2017 1:46 PM
May 2014
I did not like this ending episode. I was looking forward to it so much because I wanted a great conclusion not only to the show but about the whole ordeal with Johan. I hate that they leave it to the audiences imagination.
Aug 17, 2017 12:20 PM

Jan 2014
This anime is a masterpiece in every way.
Sep 14, 2017 7:46 PM

Mar 2016
Enjoyed the series, but I'm left with two major questions.

1. Did Johan actually sit up in the hospital bed and tell the story of his mother choosing between him and Nina? Most people seem to think it actually happened, but the way Tenma gasps and kinda jerks up makes it seem like it was a dream, and Johan is still just in the bed sleeping.

2. Regardles of whether or not #1 actually happened, who did the twins' mother mean to let go and why? It seems unlikely that the mother could've gotten Nina and Johan mixed up because of their voices, but then why did she choose Nina? Earlier in the series I had just assumed Johan ended up at 511 Kinderheim and Nina didn't because he was a boy and the experimenters probably thought a male would make a better "solider." After all, all the children in 511 Kinderheim were male.
Sep 18, 2017 5:09 AM

Jan 2017
Finally got around to finishing the series and it was a pleasure to watch. I think this kind of story would translate well if it were made into a live action TV series.
Dec 4, 2017 2:27 AM

Feb 2013
enlighted3 said:
The anime was awesome. I think its called "The Real Monster" just so that you really understand there isn't a real monster. Everyone can be understood by the circumstances surrounding their lives. Johan became all messed up because his mother seemed like she was trying to save one of them, and he didn't know who she was trying to save. So he didn't see every life as being equal. Nina was the one being tortured but she didnt become a monster because she was the only one that knew that Bonaparte told her not to become a monster. The fact that Tenma saved johans life in both cases with and without knowing Johan history and craziness, gave johan peace. That his life is actually worth saving, even though he thought his mother might have been trying to save Nina. In the end I think Tenma got more scared that Johan lived his life not knowing that every life is equal.

awesome, thx for d4t.

-xdfp
✈️
Dec 4, 2017 3:26 AM

Feb 2013
Kurogashi said:
to 'geniuses' like him,-The best action is no action because at the end of your days, 'who cares'.

Well, said. ­­­­­­­­­­­­­
✈️
Dec 6, 2017 11:46 AM

Apr 2017
Excellent series. It's not so common to find such a good and mature story. I hope I find more anime like this one in the future. Cheers!
Jan 12, 2018 2:28 PM

Nov 2016
This was very good with a complex narrative and one of the best villains in any story I have witnessed. The pacing dragged on a lot at points though so I can't give it anything more than an 9/10. Still it's going into my favourites.
Feb 8, 2018 3:56 AM

Jan 2018
One of the most rewarding anime shows (or any kind of show) I've seen. Well worth sitting through 74 episodes.
Feb 18, 2018 8:52 PM
Sep 2017
The long journey is over now at along last!
I found the ending wanting me more but whatever it is whatever it is
Mar 9, 2018 3:36 PM
Dec 2017
I read only the first and last pages here and I couldn't see anyone interpreting that Johan escaped to kill his mother. Maybe I'm being some kind of psycho but the Johan I know, would wipe that woman out of the world's surface, as soon as getting the news that she's alive.

Btw I gave a 10/10. I enjoyed every second of this show. Gotta watch all the animu by Urusawa sensei.
Mar 25, 2018 6:52 AM
Dec 2017
mynewlist2017dec said:
I read only the first and last pages here and I couldn't see anyone interpreting that Johan escaped to kill his mother. Maybe I'm being some kind of psycho but the Johan I know, would wipe that woman out of the world's surface, as soon as getting the news that she's alive.

Btw I gave a 10/10. I enjoyed every second of this show. Gotta watch all the animu by Urusawa sensei.
thats not possible maybe since tenma told him his mother loves him so it wouldnt make sense For him to doubt his mother
Apr 22, 2018 5:07 PM
Mar 2018
Naoki Urasawa, you have created a masterpiece. You have reflected the true nature of the Human; we are the beings who do both good & evil, love & hate,winners & losers, spread peace & do wars, gives birth & kill too, safe lives & take lives too, we are both angels & devils, no best to say that we are "MONSTERS". Mr.Urasawa you have created a monster. Yet simple but complex!
10/10 for the series. Really got a thing which i wanted to see. Thank you v.much for making this series.
May 1, 2018 9:29 AM

Oct 2015
Honestly, this show left a bitter taste in my mouth with it's ending. Leaving major plot points as ambigious really didn't work well with a show like this compared to say, Serial Experiments Lain where it's abstrusity and tendency to leave plot points to viewers interpretation was one of the factors that made the experience so much more fulfilling for me. But in this case it really could use more explanation, at least in my opinion.

For instance we don't know what Johan's motives were for any action he did prior to Ruhenheim massacre, the reason why Anna wanted to kill herself along with his brother, the sudden and unwarranted change in many of the bad guys (General Wolfe, Peter Capek, Franz Bonaparta) just to name a few. When all of these pile up with it's abrupt ending it doesn't feel rewarding at all. In fact it doesn't even feel like an ending.

I do have many good things to say about the show of course. With it's huge and equally great cast of characters (well mostly at least), the seemingly simple yet very intricate plot structure it had, constant suspense the show maintained throughout most of it's run, the enjoyment of seeing the beloved characters we're attached to gradually wrapping their heads around what his new action will be.. These are all commendable to say the least.

But as I said the complaints I had doesn't allow me to give this show anything higher than a 7. This is a rare instance where a show I was so dissatisfied with it's ending I'm inclined to give a score that high. So yeah, a 7/10

Edit from 14.08.2018: This opinion is partially outdated. But I'll keep it as it is just for the record.
Auron_Aug 13, 2018 4:50 PM
May 14, 2018 12:16 AM

Mar 2018
Lunge found himself a friend and he died...poor grimmer. I wonder what would have happened if he met Roberto.
May 26, 2018 1:10 PM

Feb 2015
Not sure what to say, the ending was... interesting.

All in all, 9/10.
Sep 3, 2018 12:56 PM
Apr 2018
Outstanding Anime. Although 74 Episodes were a little bit too much in my opinion(even if not one episode was filler), but I didn't regret to watch this Anime and that's what counts. Because of that, I'll "only" give it a 9/10.

And that's the end of Naoki Urasawa's MONSTER.
Sep 22, 2018 11:20 AM
Dec 2014
guulaash said:

I agree!! That is exactly what I wrote/said in my post as well (a little above yours) :-D
Oct 17, 2018 6:40 PM

May 2012
Monster is seriously one of the best anime ever! 9/10
When I watched the first episode, I was reluctant to continue due to the boring-looking art style. None of the characters seemed interesting to me so I decided to just stop at that. I gotta say, I'm so glad I picked it up after a year or so. Seeing a kind-hearted soul like Tenma lost everything he worked for, just because he chose to save a young boy on the brink of death is saddening. This and the fact that the seemingly "innocent" boy turned out to be a serial killer made me stayed for the rest of the episodes.
Nov 26, 2018 8:06 AM

May 2012
A very thought-provoking and entertaining anime. Interesting choice to leave Johan's fate open like that. It seems the the mother and her choice to send Nina to the Red Rose Mansion is what really created Johan or at least his thinking that not all lives are equal.

I know Johan is the main draw but side characters like Eva, Lunge, and Grimmer really elevate this show - they're all so interesting and have complete character arcs.The start of the final episode provided some satisfying closure for those side characters. Eva is no longer an alcoholic and has moved on from her obsession with Tenma which she talks about but is also symbolised by her giving Reichwein the notebook. Part of me hoped Tenma and Eva would reconcile and rekindle their relationship but its pretty obvious from early on in the show that they were never compatible so its probably for the best. Also glad to see Lunge get promoted and also get in touch with his daughter. I really thought he'd end up dead due to being so obsessed with the Johan case but his confrontation with Roberto (the mega douche) showed he still greatly cared for his family so his happy ending didn't totally blindside me.

Also really great to see how excited Dieter and Nina are about Tenma returning. Really hammers home how many lives he was able to change for the better even though he was trying to murder a man.

Regardless of the open ending, I think the ending is still very satisfying especially regarding the Tenma/Johan dichotomy. Johan always did feel like a ghost throughout the entire series so the empty hospital bed might actually be an appropriate ending. To be honest, as far as main characters go I though Tenma was pretty meh (preferred those side characters I mentioned more) but I guess it was interesting to see him fight within himself regarding killing Johan and his own personal ideals, a hypocrisy his called out on frequently. In the end Tenma won though as both of Johans original and new plans failed and Tenma proves the all lives are equal by saving Johan for the second time.

Overall a really great series, , perhaps slow at times, but ultimately rewarding. 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2019 4:27 PM

Nov 2016
I honestly dunno where to start and I also don't want to spend about an hour writing a wall of text, so I'm gonna keep it brief.

Monster has been one of the best experiences I've had with this medium. It didn't have a strong emotional impact on me compared to other favorites of mine nor was it a gamechanger, but it was incredibly captivating with flawless execution in many departments. Starting with the atmosphere, the very beginning already set the right tone for a psychological/mystery thriller, the directing, the OST's and especially the opening. Those aspects really enhanced the already well crafted foundation consisting of story and pacing. Speaking of which, I often heard that the pacing of Monster would be slow at times, even tediously slow according to some. Fortunately not for me, as far as I'm concerned it was perfectly paced. It's extremely rare to find a series with an overarching plot where a necessary amount of time is dedicated in order to flesh out side plots that tied in neatly into the bigger picture. To top it off, I honestly enjoyed every single episode and almost all supporting characters a lot, which is kinda amazing for 74 episodes.

But that's no surprise with such a great cast of characters, even the ones that weren't always likeable were still fascinating to watch due to top tier characerization.

Big props to Urasawa for creating such a masterpiece and Madhouse for doing excellent when it came to the adaptation.

Wanted to go with a 9 at first, but the finale has been so spectacular that I'm willing to give a 10.
FMmatronJan 3, 2019 4:33 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2019 12:54 PM
Apr 2016
Aaah, Johan's & Anna's Mother isn't even close as pretty as Anna, not gonna lie. So, Johan DID survive, and he DID have a name, even though technically he didn't-- he didn't know about it. Well, true terror will yet again probably befall everyone, we're talking about Johan, he can't stand still... That mass murder town thingy is taken as the biggest mass murder in Europe history, yet imagine, Johan killed MANY MANY MANY times more than in that sole town... I love Johan though, even though he deserves death.
Feb 28, 2019 6:47 PM

Jun 2015
And the series ended leaving behind so many questions unanswered.
And so johan escaped again, good job not killing him.

Overall was a good series.

7/10.
Light-Yagami-GodFeb 28, 2019 6:53 PM
Mar 10, 2019 4:13 PM

May 2018
The ending was actually good, I love endings that leave you with questions. I have never watched anything like this before, I enjoyed the show thoroughly a lot.
Mar 14, 2019 5:13 PM

Jan 2019
Seeing Johan suddenly sitting up again... my heart almost stopped..
Calling this a masterpiece is a understatement.
This anime has an even deeper meaning and that is ''Every life is equal'' I also think Johan commited suicide because, in the book there was one of the monsters that got eaten and this is how the book ends.' 'Even though he had finally found a name, there was no one around to call him by it.'' He knows his names but no one cares anymore because of all the crimes he commited. The real question which cannot be answered; Who was the real monster??

Story 10/10
Mar 22, 2019 11:45 AM
Oct 2017
Okay the fact that they didn't leave any officers or policemen around Johan is stupid.

How did they tell the story to the law anyway? They should have said something about Johan, and as criminal he should have been in custody.

6.5/10 for good atmosphere and characters, no really great story, twist, or psychology of the characters, plus some plot holes.

I'm glad I saw it, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece at all.
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

93 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.