Forum Settings
Forums

English Music as themesongs for anime (opening or closing) ...what are your thoughts?

New
Apr 20, 2008 1:12 PM

Apr 2008
I know its a rare thing in anime but i've already seen 2 anime and 1 Live action movie with English so i dont have a very strong opinion about this topic but i want to know what other people thing of it?

Well in gunslinger girl, the Delgados did a fabulous job in the opening song :D
Then I watched Hanada Shounen Shi and i was amazed that the Backstreet Boys were singing to the OP and ED!! I know most ppl dont like them but they still bring back memories for me :D

But the best one i've seen was for the live action death note movie... RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS! ...they go perfect for Death NOTO!!! :) I still sing "Snow (Hey Oh)" in the shower all the time >_<

Oh that reminds me are there other anime that have english songs in them? Oh and btw dont flame in here Mr. Otaku's you all know who you are!

[EXAMPLE] OMG noone is better than GACKT!!! HE IS GAWDD EEEP!! [/example]
[EXAMPLE] Le Arc in Ciel is my FAAAVEEE!!! SCREW ENGLISH MUSIC!!! [/example]
(yes i know its spelled L'Arc~en~Ciel)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2008 1:13 PM

Oct 2007
some are ok
but i dislike those that are the ED song of wolf and spice
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2008 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
Peralisc said:
some are ok
but i dislike those that are the ED song of wolf and spice

Opening Theme:
"Tabi no Tochū (旅の途中)" by Natsumi Kiyoura
Ending Theme:
#1: "Ringo Biyori (リンゴ日和)" by Rocky Chack (eps 01-12)
#2: "Tabi no Tochū (旅の途中)" by Natsumi Kiyoura (ep 13)

...those arent english songs dear :D
Apr 20, 2008 1:15 PM

Jul 2007
It doesn't matter to me, if it sounds good... it's good.
Though I absolutely adore the opening to Serial Experiments Lain, which was "Duvet" by BOA.

Engrish doesn't bother me much either.
Though this thread reminds me of Ef ~ A tale of memories, which had the same opening song done in both english and japanese, I liked it both ways.
Apr 20, 2008 1:19 PM

Aug 2007
English or not for me what really matters is the music. Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy are good examples of good english musics in a japanese show :p Same for 1st ED of Monster.
Apr 20, 2008 1:28 PM

Nov 2007
Who cares? If it's good, it's good. Language doesn't matter.

My favorite anime engrish songs though are Tonight Tonight Tonight by Beat Crusaders (Bleachs OP #whatever), The Light Before We Land by the Delgados (Gunslinger Girl OP), Why or Why Not by Katakiri Rekka (Higurashi ED), and The Sore Feet Song by Ally Kerr (Mushishi OP).
Apr 20, 2008 1:31 PM

Aug 2007
-AtaraxiA- said:
Who cares? If it's good, it's good. Language doesn't matter.

/topic
Apr 20, 2008 1:32 PM

Jan 2008
-AtaraxiA- said:
Why or Why Not by Katakiri Rekka (Higurashi ED).
lol, very engrish.
Apr 20, 2008 1:39 PM

Apr 2008
DBZ's dub had Linkin Park do the OP. I like better than the Japanese one.
DRAGON DRAGON BALL, DRAGON BALL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

EDIT: I haven't seen Wolf's Rain by I think the ED is Gravity by Maaya Sakamoto, love that song. It's entirely in English and she barely has an accent. I've heard she can't speak it though, oddly.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Apr 20, 2008 1:56 PM
Nov 2007
Blue Gender dubbed op/ed are good, better than the original Japanese in my case...
Apr 20, 2008 2:23 PM

Apr 2007
LoveWifeLunch said:
I haven't seen Wolf's Rain by I think the ED is Gravity by Maaya Sakamoto, love that song. It's entirely in English and she barely has an accent. I've heard she can't speak it though, oddly.

She also does the great English "Tell Me What the Rain Knows" from Wolf's Rain as well. She spoke nothing but English at her AX2005 concert, but I'm not sure if that's a really good yardstick of how fluent she is.

There probably should be a distinction made between original English songs and English songs which are dubbed replicas of a Japanese original. Those latter ones already start out with some disadvantages working against them. But it's not a killing disadvantage. Just get a good song, a good arranger, and a good singer and the language is irrelevant. To see how good dubbed English songs can be, look at the Italian version of Inuyasha. Those performances are great, very nearly on par with the originals.
Apr 20, 2008 2:27 PM

Feb 2008
I must say some of the best songs I have heard are in English
Opening From Serial Experiments Lain.
First ending in Monster," And slowly you come to realize, It's all as it should be..."
Now what I hate is when they translate a Japanese opening into English.
Apr 20, 2008 2:30 PM

Feb 2008
Most are good. The ones in Engrish are usually catchy, so yeah, who really cares. My favorites include Shine (by L'Arc~en~Ciel) from Seirei no Moribito and The Light Before We Land (by The Delgados) from Gunslinger Girl. Some people also like Spice and Wolf's ED and ef - a tale of memories' OP. Of course, I really like Number One as BG music in Bleach.

Also, it looks like the original poster also liked L'Arc~en~Ciel and the Gunslinger OP.

(Rotating Signature | Member Cards are fun~)

[Notes on Signature]124 - 172 KB, Width: 140px

Apr 20, 2008 2:33 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lain and ef have beautiful english openings. Even though it's weird engrish, the Black Lagoon OP rocks as well.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 20, 2008 2:36 PM

Oct 2007
I liked "Shine" from Hellsing, and "do you want to" from Paradise Kiss, they both fit really well. As long as the songs fits, I don't really care what language it's in ^_^

Apr 20, 2008 2:37 PM

Nov 2007
KholdStare88 said:
Of course, I really like Number One as BG music in Bleach.
Totally forgot about that one. Awesome song.
Apr 20, 2008 5:36 PM

Aug 2007
I'm fine with anything if the music goes well with the OP
Apr 20, 2008 6:01 PM

Nov 2007
Lelangir said:
Blue Gender dubbed op/ed are good, better than the original Japanese in my case...

i agree, about the op anyway, don't remember the ed.
RolexApr 20, 2008 6:24 PM
Apr 20, 2008 6:17 PM

Apr 2007
OTOhime said:
I liked "Shine" from Hellsing

That song is the shit.

Other good english (NOT engrish) OP/EDs:
Radiohead - Paranoid Android (Ergo Proxy ED)
Ally Ker - The Sore Feet Song (Mushishi OP)
David Sylvian - For The Love of Life (Monster ED1)
Jean-Jacques Burnel - You Won't See Me Coming / We Were Lovers (Gankutsuou OP/ED)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2008 6:36 PM

Feb 2008
Neverender said:
OTOhime said:

That song is the shit.

Other good english (NOT engrish) OP/EDs:
Radiohead - Paranoid Android (Ergo Proxy ED)
Ally Ker - The Sore Feet Song (Mushishi OP)
David Sylvian - For The Love of Life (Monster ED1)
Jean-Jacques Burnel - You Won't See Me Coming / We Were Lovers (Gankutsuou OP/ED)

You took all of mine. XD
Apr 20, 2008 6:46 PM

Jun 2007
Well I remember one in particular that shocked me when I heard/watched it for the first time.

The END theme for Paradise Kiss is "Do you want to?" by Franz Ferdinand

I Liked it and other themes like the Op and End of Ergo Proxy are pretty cool too.

Apr 20, 2008 9:13 PM

Feb 2008
I didn't mind the opening theme for Wolf's Rain: Stray. It was unique. The song wasn't in "Engrish" if I recall correctly.
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Apr 20, 2008 9:37 PM

Apr 2008
magentaanbu said:
Well I remember one in particular that shocked me when I heard/watched it for the first time.

The END theme for Paradise Kiss is "Do you want to?" by Franz Ferdinand

I Liked it and other themes like the Op and End of Ergo Proxy are pretty cool too.

Really? Sweet. If only they had "Take Me Out".

I don't want no sissy pig!
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Apr 20, 2008 10:11 PM

Jan 2008
I love Lain's too. Also cause I can sing to it ahaha.
Not english but latin(?) Lilium from Elfen Lied was lovely.
I don't like the Monster EDs.

Some Gurren Lagann songs! That battle theme, which goes, "You've got some nerve coming out here!" I loveLOVE it!
And the also not english but possibly latin again, Libera me from Hell = <3
Apr 20, 2008 10:50 PM

Dec 2007
the "ef - a tale of memories" OP theme, "Euphoric Field" is MUCH better than it's japanese counterpart and one of my favorites.

that being said... it doesn't really matter, as long as the OP is good
Apr 21, 2008 2:42 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah! Paradise Kiss!! with their ending song as Do You Want To by Franz Ferdinand!!!

I love that song and it does go so well with the show!! XD

For me, really, I don't care whether it's english or not, as long as the music is good!! >XD
Apr 21, 2008 2:52 AM
Oct 2007
I don't mind.

I love Wolf's Rain "Stray" and Ergo Proxy's "Kiri" openings.
"You are always more beautiful when drenched in blood."
Apr 21, 2008 2:57 AM

Oct 2007
ariah said:
Peralisc said:
some are ok
but i dislike those that are LIKE (fixed sry) the ED song of wolf and spice

Opening Theme:
"Tabi no Tochū (旅の途中)" by Natsumi Kiyoura
Ending Theme:
#1: "Ringo Biyori (リンゴ日和)" by Rocky Chack (eps 01-12)
#2: "Tabi no Tochū (旅の途中)" by Natsumi Kiyoura (ep 13)

...those arent english songs dear :D

tell me what language is this?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SVsCNCgt91w

Oh, btw, Wolf's rain has one of the best english ED songs!
Also Ergo proxy has a nice OP song!
JudgeRuthlessApr 21, 2008 3:01 AM
Apr 21, 2008 3:33 AM

Aug 2007
Ergo proxy had good op/ed in english
Opening Theme:
"kiri" by MONORAL
Ending Theme:
"PARANOID ANDROID" by RADIOHEAD

Apr 21, 2008 6:12 AM

Jul 2007
OTOhime said:

Same and now I have Mr. Big discography. :D

Also The Legend of Black Heaven got english OP: John Sykes - Cautionary warning, such an good song. And I don't think many japanese artist's song can be categorized as english song because their english is pretty bad, seriously guys.
Blacksatanman666Apr 21, 2008 6:15 AM
Apr 21, 2008 10:19 AM

Apr 2007
ArcXIII said:
I didn't mind the opening theme for Wolf's Rain: Stray. It was unique. The song wasn't in "Engrish" if I recall correctly.

Oh yeah, that's a good one. I like Steve Conte.
Apr 23, 2008 8:37 AM
Mar 2008
Although English songs in anime sound weird to me, I really like the first ending of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ,,Why or why not?", so sometimes English in theme music isn't so bad :)
Apr 23, 2008 9:30 AM

Apr 2008
I liked Ergo Proxy's opening, but I tend to like it when the Japanese songs are done in english like with Ruroni Kenshin, Rayearth, or Tenchi.
Apr 23, 2008 10:07 AM

Apr 2008
it doesn't really matter...as long as its good and it fits the anime...then its ok with me...
though there are some that are good but doesn't quite fit in the anime like "Shine"(yeah its good but then as an ED song for Hellsing?!)...
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter!
Apr 23, 2008 10:28 AM

Oct 2007
Whatever music fits is fine...English or Japanese

As long as its not J-pop...I hate J-pop
Apr 23, 2008 10:39 AM

Nov 2007
Neverender said:
ArcXIII said:

Oh yeah, that's a good one. I like Steve Conte.

Agreed Steve Conte is good. He also did "Call me call me" and "Rain" from cowboy bebop (though they aren't OP's or ED's).

As mention the OP and ED's from Wolf's Rain and Ergo Proxy are good.

I also loved "lithium Flower" from GiTS:SAC (ED) and MR. RAINDROP by Amplified (2e Gintama ED).

[ cool signature goes here ]
Apr 23, 2008 10:39 AM
Nov 2007
legos said:

That's gotta be like 80-99% of all anime themes. But then again, what counts as j-pop?
Apr 23, 2008 3:56 PM

Oct 2007
Lelangir said:
legos said:

That's gotta be like 80-99% of all anime themes. But then again, what counts as j-pop?

Well...I don't really know exactly what it is...I consider it those songs that most anime have at start that talk about things like "Lets be friends forever" with similar music playing in the back. What I described is what I don't like.

I do like a lot of anime op/ed in japanese, like GITS, RahXephon, Trigun, Gundam Wing(nostaligic and good), etc.

Apr 23, 2008 7:47 PM

Mar 2008
Paradise Kiss's ED makes English okay because it's Franz Ferdinand, and they are awesome. :D
Apr 23, 2008 7:52 PM

Apr 2008
I normally don't care if the song is English/Japanese/whatever else language as long as I feel the song fits and is a pretty cool song.

But, for the sake of this thread... I think using Franz Ferdinand's "Do You Want To" for the ending theme to Paradise Kiss was awesome. :D
We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself. - Carl Sagan
Apr 23, 2008 8:52 PM

Jul 2007
aero said:
-AtaraxiA- said:
Why or Why Not by Katakiri Rekka (Higurashi ED).
lol, very engrish.

well i loved that song
Nov 21, 2014 8:30 AM
Nov 21, 2014 9:04 AM

Mar 2014
C__Who said:
always prefer japanese :3

- C

Son you commented a six years old thread
Comic_SansNov 21, 2014 9:13 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 21, 2014 9:12 AM

May 2012
Iktoro99 said:
Son you commented a six years old thread

No wonder no one mentioned "Falling Down" by Oasis, the original opening for Higashi no Eden. It's not on the Funimation version because they couldn't obtain the rights.

A similar rights problem led Viz to replace the Shirelles' famous "Be My Baby" in Monster with elevator music, despite that song's title being the title of the episode (fifteen) itself!
Nov 21, 2014 9:18 AM

Nov 2012
engrish is the worst thing ever
in the last episode of fate/zero, that damn priest which i forgot his name recite bible in front of that red guy grave in english. oh my god so awful, my ears almost exploded listening to that shit
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Nov 21, 2014 9:25 AM

Feb 2010
ninjastarforcex said:
engrish is the worst thing ever
in the last episode of fate/zero, that damn priest which i forgot his name recite bible in front of that red guy grave in english. oh my god so awful, my ears almost exploded listening to that shit

Setting aside the fact that engrish is always hilariously fun to watch, this thread was about actual english anime songs, like this

or this

I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 21, 2014 9:49 AM

Apr 2014
I like them a lot better than the Japanese, mainly because of the sound, not the lyrics.
your waifu is shit
Nov 21, 2014 9:55 AM

Oct 2014
Not always engrish:

Nov 21, 2014 10:19 AM

Jun 2013
I think I prefer English OPs and EDs. Mushishi/Lain OP and Monster/Ergo Proxy ED's are some of my favorites and they're all English.
Nov 21, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2014
Just remembered the best one!

This one has the ending too, which is even better, although the quality isn't as good:
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Yesterday

25 by LightWorker »»
30 seconds ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

88 by Zarutaku »»
37 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 3 hours ago

21 by pk8list »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 52 minutes ago

5 by IKKIsama »»
9 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

14 by Neterosan »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.