Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2008 5:14 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very interesting episode. So Johan asked all those criminals to kill someone, that Johan wanted dead, at the same park. Wonder what Johan has in mind for Frankfurt.
Sep 17, 2008 3:09 PM

Jun 2008
who knows what he's thinking about and it was a nice episode
Dec 29, 2008 3:04 PM

Jun 2008
this is just perfect that i can't tell wtf he's thinking...
Apr 8, 2009 12:07 PM

Jul 2008
This just keeps picking up more and more steam, things are developing nicely.
Jul 19, 2009 6:14 PM

Apr 2009
Johan is just over the top. He's been behind pretty much every murder since the start of this series.

Aug 12, 2009 6:55 PM

Jan 2009
To be honest the first 5 minutes of the episode were boring as fuck. It ended up very nicely.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 14, 2009 3:16 PM

Jul 2009
I pretty much agree with everything that killer at the start did. Those people were scum who deserved to die to be honest. Also, Johan has got so many people to commit murders as well as himself...sic.
Apr 9, 2010 9:11 AM

Nov 2007
This was a boring episode actually...
Jul 23, 2010 10:24 PM

May 2010
I wonder what Johan is planning to do, after requesting 3 murderer to kill those people..
Nov 18, 2010 1:09 PM

Mar 2010
who will kill johan, i like how all the stories point to one person

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 18, 2011 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
Johann really seemed like a beast.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 18, 2011 3:59 PM
Dec 2010
BTW, what ever happened to Visbaugh? The detective in this episode who started investigating Johan?
Feb 18, 2012 3:48 AM

Feb 2012
Ok this is just ridiculous. People call Johan a monster, a demon, an alien, and are afraid of him and obey him as if they didn't have will of their own. No one is that charismatic. And we're talking about someone who is still essentially a kid. I just don't buy it how adults could be so easy to manipulate by Johan's mere presence. That's also the reason why Tenma and others think the only way to stop the murders is to kill Johan; because if he was put in an institution he would be able to manipulate the doctors into thinking he's actually healthy or make the doctors kill themselves, right? But those people are professionals, there are tests for psychopaths and people dealing with them know not to let their guard down and believe everything. Johan is not a great character - he's only made to look impressive by making all the other characters in the show more idiotic than real people would be.
Feb 20, 2012 1:47 PM

Jun 2011
Feorg said:
Ok this is just ridiculous. People call Johan a monster, a demon, an alien, and are afraid of him and obey him as if they didn't have will of their own. No one is that charismatic. And we're talking about someone who is still essentially a kid. I just don't buy it how adults could be so easy to manipulate by Johan's mere presence. That's also the reason why Tenma and others think the only way to stop the murders is to kill Johan; because if he was put in an institution he would be able to manipulate the doctors into thinking he's actually healthy or make the doctors kill themselves, right? But those people are professionals, there are tests for psychopaths and people dealing with them know not to let their guard down and believe everything. Johan is not a great character - he's only made to look impressive by making all the other characters in the show more idiotic than real people would be.

you definately missed the whole point of the monster inside johann... they arent listening to a kid, they are listening to a monster
Mar 21, 2012 3:11 AM

Mar 2009
It's unbelievable that they committed those murders under those circumstances.
Mar 21, 2012 8:22 AM

Mar 2010
i wonder what he is planning
Jun 12, 2012 5:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Why was that young woman killed on Johan's order? Is the mysterious father of her child Johan himself or what?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 18, 2012 12:22 AM

Jul 2009
Feorg said:

I'd say that's pretty legit criticism people have of Johan. It's true that he's depicted as being so good at manipulation that it's basically a superpower. But I guess the reason why I'm not too bothered by it is, I don't think Johan was ever meant to be even a little bit realistic. In terms of how he operates, he's more of a concept than a character, a man who is literally the Devil. In a show full of criminals and corruption, Johan is depicted as evil incarnate. Other characters even speak of him in an almost myth-like manner, and he's referred to as a monster, alien, etc. precisely because he's so not-human.

Admittedly, Johan can't be called a fully fleshed out character, but I and many others find the idea of Johan interesting enough to go along with his shenanigans. Besides, I'd argue that Johan's worth as a character is largely determined by his complicated backstory and his motivations rather than his modus operandi.
bellpickleJul 18, 2012 7:52 PM
Sep 30, 2012 7:46 PM

Nov 2009
looks like this might just be the final arch, shits gonna go down in Frankfurt. Also love how they tied in that detective to the story, the connections between people in this anime are pretty good, love how they do it.
Dec 21, 2012 8:04 AM

Feb 2012
Nice connections we got.

About Episode:

So Weissbech police guy we saw in earlier episode he has retiring starting but he seems to questioning this taxi driver guy who told that some one request him to do it. And then there were these 2 guys who said same thing that this alien, blonde guy wrote their name down on the sand.

Looks like Johan really has some mysterious manipulating powers. Like he can make people go crazy for no reason really.

Also nice there were explaining were Johan and Anna went. Looks like they were pick up this taxi guy 11 years ago. So it must mean after the brain surgery he had.

And that Weissbach dude remembered everything from Tenma's case. Looks like Gillen also had questioning and he got same answers that this Weissbach guy got. I wonder why Johan asked those guys and for these 3 people. What it's for. Somehing big is going to start in Frankfurt I wonder what it is??

5/5
Jan 30, 2013 2:20 AM

Jan 2012
The killer who talked about ufo's was hilarious. Anyway, Johan is starting shit again.

Feb 27, 2013 11:39 PM
Aug 2011
I was actually quite bored with this episode.
Apr 14, 2013 8:54 AM

Jun 2012
Osaka117 said:
Johan is just over the top. He's been behind pretty much every murder since the start of this series.

It would be one thing if the guy in this episode killed all those people on behalf of Johan, but he didn't. Only one of the X number of people he killed was done for Johan.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
May 8, 2013 12:28 PM

Oct 2012
Tension is nearing its peak. Interesting background of Johan's actions.
Everyting starts to fit together. Convergence is coming.
Aug 23, 2013 6:24 AM
May 2012
As far as I remember Johann only killed one person with his own hands and that man is Junkers in that old building with Tenma and after that what he does is just command other people to kill other people or to kill themselves.
Nov 6, 2013 12:28 AM

Jul 2009
wow i didn't realize this is probably the only episode where there were no main characters that appeared besides flashbacks.

i freaking knew that Weissbach is the same detective that took over the investigation following the escape of Tenma from the hospital.

so it was 11 years since the incident happened huh? and just as he was gonna retire peacefully something like this shows up!

that Reinhard Dinger guy is one crazy guy, but i kinda understand from his point of view on why there are a lot of trash people in the world.

i can't believed they managed to connect Johan as the one that ordered him to kill an innocent bystander. i have a feeling Johan was just testing his powers at that time.

lol that Alien guy looks alot like the same criminal Gillen was interviewing back when we first saw him. the one with the glasses and he killed himself by sticking a pen through his ear.

as for Johan's incredible "power" keep in mind these are not "ordinary" adults. they are killers and Johan just basically opened their "Killer Instinct" Johan knows how a killer acts, that's why a fellow killer understood his intentions.

so something big is happening at Frankfurt! i wonder why Nina know's she's going there? isn't that the place where there Mother escaped?

last 11 episodes T__T

it seems i'm now reluctant to finish this!!!
Dec 9, 2013 7:31 PM

Jan 2013
Yes! It's all finally falling into place. Ah I'm so excited. I wish I didn't have a calc final tomorrow or I'd finish this series tonight! Johan, the great manipulator, what do you have planned for us next?
Jan 28, 2014 6:49 AM
Mar 2013
Zell182 said:
I pretty much agree with everything that killer at the start did. Those people were scum who deserved to die to be honest. Also, Johan has got so many people to commit murders as well as himself...sic.
Well i disagree. We have no right to kill another wether or not there scum. Only if your in danger or if your loved ones are in danger do you kill but only if necessary.
Jan 28, 2014 6:52 AM
Mar 2013
The dude with the aliens in his head reminds me of one of the dudes my mom used to date. He had thought aliens were in his head spying on everything he did. He jumped off a bridge and died in order to not give any information to them.
Mar 18, 2014 4:29 AM

Oct 2013
Johan is unstoppable.

Apr 30, 2014 7:11 AM

Mar 2013
I guess Johan was just playing around to see if he could let three murderers kill three people of his choice or perhaps I am interpreting it wrong haha.
May 26, 2014 12:54 AM

Apr 2012
yea Johan feels too omnipotent especially when he was just a child

Jan 18, 2015 11:03 PM

Mar 2014
The criminal in this was hilarious, but Johan is still over the top
Jan 28, 2015 2:35 PM

Dec 2013
yakyuu-addict said:
This just keeps picking up more and more steam, things are developing nicely.

Can't see how this is developing. It should've finished 30 episodes ago.
Slowest show ever.
Feb 22, 2015 5:13 PM

Mar 2013
So, at first twins escaped together from hospital. i had thought that they escaped separately. So i wonder what did happen later to Anna ? She remembered and escaped Johann or Johann send her into a family ?

Johann's manipulate ability is extraordinary.
Apr 3, 2015 10:00 PM
Nov 2014
Too many weird criminals in this episode haha, scared me.

Hmm...wondering what is Johan's plan for all this fuckery.
Apr 24, 2015 12:08 PM

May 2014
"Unrelated Murders".. Pfft, Yeah right.

Wow. I didn't expect them to bring back the detective from episode 2.

Also, I feel bad for the shit that Gillen goes through. UFO's and Vampires...
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Aug 22, 2015 10:17 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, all those crazy people that criminal psychologists interview.

5/5
Sep 8, 2015 3:14 AM

Dec 2013
Never ceases to amaze me how active Johan is.
Sep 27, 2015 10:01 PM
Sep 2015
Oh man things are getting intense.
Nov 7, 2015 5:16 AM

Jul 2013
Getting even more intriguing... damn, can't wait.

I still don't see much of a point in introducing more characters when the show is close to the ending and there are still loose threads, but alas, I'll have to wait.
Nov 30, 2015 4:38 PM

Sep 2015
What a manipulative bastard Johan is...
I can't even imagine the amount of deaths lead to him...

He's true Satan himself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2014
Zell182 said:

This comment really bothers me because one of the things that this anime represents a lot very well is the fact that there are very few (if any at all) "bad" people in this world.

Everyone does things for their own reasons/justification, or more specifically, based on the predicament or situation they find themselves in.

You can't judge a person as a whole by just 1 interaction they had with you in your taxi. You have no idea what they've gone through to get to that point and there are many times in anyone's life where they act out of their usual norms because of some outside factor that can't be seen by the average spectator.

Look up the fundamental attribution error.
Feb 25, 2016 2:59 PM

Nov 2011
Brilliant ep, how is Johan doing this?

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 16, 2016 3:41 AM

Feb 2016
Hello Rorschach...
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jun 8, 2016 7:59 AM

Feb 2013
Johan is amazing.
Jul 19, 2016 4:36 AM

Aug 2014
Interesting deductions with the investigation.
Great episode.
Oct 29, 2016 12:57 PM
Oct 2012
Finally the show is back on track after quite a few aimless episodes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come to think of it, Johan did manipulate this people too easily. On one hand it can be explained by the fact this people were already mentally instable and Johan only took advantage of their mental instability. Still, how could he knew that? I guess you could say he's really good at reading people, but how do you know someone is a delusional serial killer this easily?

In earlier episodes we could see how Johan guessed people's weaknesses and took advantage of them to make them kill someone/kill themselves but it here it's not really explained, so maybe the show it's not quite yet at his best. Still by far the best episode since Eva's useless arc.
HiImAnAlienOct 30, 2016 3:40 AM
Feb 1, 2017 3:03 PM
Feb 2015
will be sad if the detective will die just before retiring
Jun 15, 2017 6:12 PM

May 2015
The first detective makes an appearance in this episode and he is retiring(?) I think he is going to be a very busy guy in his retirement... Lol! Andd all the lose ends + new revelations are tiding nicely...

bellpickle said:
Feorg said:

I'd say that's pretty legit criticism people have of Johan. It's true that he's depicted as being so good at manipulation that it's basically a superpower. But I guess the reason why I'm not too bothered by it is, I don't think Johan was ever meant to be even a little bit realistic. In terms of how he operates, he's more of a concept than a character, a man who is literally the Devil. In a show full of criminals and corruption, Johan is depicted as evil incarnate. Other characters even speak of him in an almost myth-like manner, and he's referred to as a monster, alien, etc. precisely because he's so not-human.

Admittedly, Johan can't be called a fully fleshed out character, but I and many others find the idea of Johan interesting enough to go along with his shenanigans. Besides, I'd argue that Johan's worth as a character is largely determined by his complicated backstory and his motivations rather than his modus operandi.
This...

SomaHeir said:
as for Johan's incredible "power" keep in mind these are not "ordinary" adults. they are killers and Johan just basically opened their "Killer Instinct" Johan knows how a killer acts, that's why a fellow killer understood his intentions.
+1

HiImAnAlien said:
Come to think of it, Johan did manipulate this people too easily. On one hand it can be explained by the fact this people were already mentally instable and Johan only took advantage of their mental instability. Still, how could he knew that? I guess you could say he's really good at reading people, but how do you know someone is a delusional serial killer this easily?

In earlier episodes we could see how Johan guessed people's weaknesses and took advantage of them to make them kill someone/kill themselves but it here it's not really explained, so maybe the show it's not quite yet at his best.
+1
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Apr 17, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.