Forum Settings
Forums

In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

New
2 hours ago
Aug 2024
As an Isekai fan I can't help but notice a certain fondness for Truck-kun, or rather, the trope that an Isekai MC gets sent to another world via getting hit by a truck. Heck, the trope was practically called out by name in No Longer Allowed in Another World this past season.

I feel like I missed something, why are people so fond of it? Especially since "Truck-kun" is so rare that I've actually written a skit where I poke fun of just how uncommon it actually is.

More on point- I really do feel like I missed something; how did the truck become so Iconic in the genre?

And to prove I'm not exaggerating how rare Truck-kun is, here's my full version of the skit, complete with the recent update for Summer 2024 shows:

"Wow, that was really sad, to see the main character die like that. It is strange though, usually these Isekai protagonists get hit by a truck to be sent to another world"

Ryoma- “Not me; I sneezed in bed and my head hit the floor so hard I died of a hemorrhage”

Naofumi- “same; I opened a book in a library that started glowing and next thing I knew I was in another world”

Souma- "I was also in a library, though in my case one second there was a lot of wind, and next I was falling through the sky in the new world"

Myne- “I was crushed by a huge pile of books during an earthquake”

Izayoi- "Me and these 2 girls were given letters that appeared out of nowhere; then suddenly we were falling through the sky of our new world"

Pastry- “Actually, I was killed by a falling candy sculpture.”

Boxxo- “I was crushed by a vending machine and now I am one”

Asahi- “I saved a girl from being hit by a car; but the weird part is how my sister also got isekai’d with me”

Ainz- “All I know is one second the game I was playing shut down and the next I was stuck in the body of my character”

Yuna- “I was playing my game and after getting a bear suit I ended up in a new world”

Touya- “apparently God was throwing lightning bolts and one hit me by mistake”

Karou- “I know that feeling; a God sliced me in half by mistake and now I live in another world making potions”

Takumi- “Same here; now I live in another world taking care of twins as we adventure”

Rimiru- “I was walking down the street minding my own business and next thing I knew someone ran up and stabbed me”

Cain- “Same, I was protecting a couple girls from getting stabbed after a robbery gone wrong”

Ogrou- “Tell me about it; I was stabbed to death by some deranged woman”

Luciel- “I was walking down the street and was shot”

Seika- “I was betrayed and used a spell to reincarnate myself into another world”

Tanya- “I was pushed in front of a train”

Lin Yinuo- “I fell from my balcony”

Raeliana- “I fell from a roof; turns out I was pushed”

Azusa- “I worked myself to death”

Nema- “Me too; but now I get to pet all the fluffy animals I want”

Dahlia- “Happened to me too; now I live a life as a magic device builder”

Ars- “I had a heart attack”

Ryota- “apparently I was dropped by a slime in a dungeon”

Haruto/Rio- “I was on a bus that was hit by a train”

Haruto Zenfis- “Not entirely sure if I died; just know my smartphone started glowing after living as a shut-in for five years”

Lt. Itami- “Me and the JSDF went through a gate that magically appeared”

Spider- “I think I was in a classroom that exploded”

Pig- “I ate some bad pork liver and was reborn as a pig”

Mitsuha- "I fell from a cliff and not only did I end up in a new world, I can teleport between the old and new worlds"

Yuuya- “I know the feeling; I can go between worlds too thanks to a door in my grandfather’s house”’

Saitou- "As a handyman it was quite a shock when an old mage summoned me to a new world"

Kelvin- "I'll be honest; I don't know how I was reincarnated; I just know it involved a goddess and I lost my memories in the process"

Farma- "I fell asleep after a hard day at work and next thing I knew I was in another world"

Satou- "Same here; and thanks to that army I wiped out in the beginning of my adventure I became super strong right away"

Wendelin- "I also fell asleep and ended up in a new world"

Leon- "I was half asleep and fell down a flight of stairs; ended up in a game my sister made me play. Strange part is, after she died she ended up in this world too"

Tachibana and Jinguji- "To be honest... I think we made a goddess angry and she just spited us; even if we're supposed to be heroes"

Lugh- "I was betrayed and the plane I was in crashed "

Elise- “My plane crashed too; now I’m back to my old life and I want to be a doctor”

Tsukasa- "Me and six of my friends ended up in a new world after our plane crashed; good thing we are all prodigies"

Iruma- "My parents sold me to a demon"

Mukoda- “I think I encountered a magic circle”

Sei- "I was also sent to another world via a magic circle"

Usato- “Me too”

Taichi and Rin- “Us too”

Seiichi- “Not just me, my class also”

Setsu- “Me too; the weird part is how it happened to me twice”

Flio- “I was similar; no magic circle, but my whole body started glowing, then I was in another world”

Diablo- “I was summoned to a world like my game by an elf and Pantherian”

Hajime- “I was isekai’d with my class too; apparently we were kidnapped by a God”

Yogiri- “To be honest I was asleep when it happened, but I was Isekai’d with my class too. We were all on a bus that just went through a tunnel and ended up in another world. I didn’t get special abilities like my classmates, but it doesn’t matter, I can kill anything with just a thought”

Touka- “I was also Isekai’d on a bus with my class; but the goddess betrayed me and left me for dead- now I’m on a quest to get revenge on her.”

Reiji- "I just sorta ended up in another world, and now I run a drug store"

Subaru- “I’m not entirely sure what happened; I walked out of a convenience store, blinked and ended up in a new world”

Masato- "Me and my Mom basically ended up in a game world through a weird portal in my computer"

Hiraku- "I died in a hospital bed"

Cayna- "Same, though I was terminally ill, and ended up in the world of a game I played a lot"

Aileen- “Me too! At least I developed a relationship with the game’s final boss”

Shin- “I also ended up in my game’s world… or rather, its world in the future. I don’t understand what happened though; I defeated the final boss, freeing everyone who was trapped in the game, some doors opened and glowed… and there I was”

Mira- “I also became trapped in my game’s world; but thanks to a short-sighted decision I became trapped in the body of a young girl instead of the old sage I was known as. Don’t know what happened though; one second I fell asleep, next I woke up in the game’s world”

Haga- “So I got trapped in my game’s world too; I’m just a debugger but they won’t let us log out”

Catarina- “Well, I was actually hit by a car; close enough”

Teacher- “Me too; but why was I turned into a sword of all things?”

Kazuma- “And I died of shock when I thought a slow-moving tractor was a truck that was about to hit me”

“Wait, so has ANYONE actually been hit by truck and Isekai’d?”

*Cid, Pride Royal Ivy, Adele, Sensei, Yumiella, Rudeus and Shin raise their hands*

“That’s… fewer than I expected”
2 hours ago

Mar 2021
Trivia-man-Frank said:
In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Christianity is not the most common belief in Japan. Where Shinto and Buddhism are more predominate and to some degree they both have enough similarities where people who don't know enough about either commonly think they are one in the same.

Buddhism is not widely as popular as Shinto but its more widely so than Christianity by a long short where only about 1% of the entire nation actually practice the Christian religion at all and at most only about 2% of the nation have a Christian belief but don't necessarily practice it as a religious faith.

So in Japan a vast majority of the nation believe after death that people generally reincarnate as part of the cycle of life. Truck-kun is nothing more than a metaphor symbolizing the abruptness of death and some new beginning. Often times believing one simply is reborn as another person. Depending on the type of life one lived many believe one can also be granted limited amount of subconscious memory of the life they have lived before.
ColourWheel2 hours ago
1 hour ago

Jun 2020
If it happens more than once then it’s a recognizable trope and quite silly when u think about it, so it just stuck on. I think the fact that truck hits also happen in other anime also helped its longevity since anime fans will recognize them as truck-kun. Think about Zombieland Saga and also a certain music anime movie that came out in the last few years.
1 hour ago

Dec 2017
Truck-kun is now the avatar of death and rebirth in the modern world.
1 hour ago
Aug 2024
Dumb said:
If it happens more than once then it’s a recognizable trope and quite silly when u think about it, so it just stuck on. I think the fact that truck hits also happen in other anime also helped its longevity since anime fans will recognize them as truck-kun. Think about Zombieland Saga and also a certain music anime movie that came out in the last few years.

That’s fair. As someone who likes spotting the tropes I do fully acknowledge this is one. It’s more like just trying to understand if I missed a joke or a specific series or just something super memorable all together. Love a good Isekai series, just of all the means of death that do occur- why was it the truck that became well known; thanks to everyone here I think I finally have an answer- thanks everyone

More topics from this board

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
5 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

57 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
13 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

8 by Tirinchas »»
42 minutes ago

» Which anime(s) would any of your favorite characters watch?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.