Forum Settings
Forums

MADHOUSE and Warner To Produce an Anime of US TV Drama Supernatural

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 10, 2010 9:22 AM

Feb 2008
is this the new strategy the Japanese Studios are taking? animating American tv shows? it might just work but we shall see.
Jun 10, 2010 9:45 AM

Apr 2008
I see what you did there Warner Bros!
Jun 10, 2010 9:47 AM

Aug 2006
Damn. I just got into this show about four months ago, too. Crazy.
Jun 10, 2010 10:17 AM

Feb 2008
It'd be an understatement to say this came out of the blue. A Supernatural Anime!? Friggin' awesome. I can't wait to see how it turns out :3
Jun 10, 2010 10:36 AM

Jan 2010
first it's Dragon Age: Origins becoming a anime then it's Supernatural, and here's come another one:

Crackdown 2 (anybody play the first one) is getting a anime tie-in

Does anybody think western franchises into anime is becoming a new trend?
Jun 10, 2010 10:55 AM

May 2008
Like all of us are amazed by Japanese culture, they can also be amazed by our culture... I see no problem with that, except the extinction of their fabulous original work!!!

But I'll check this out anyway, I saw a few episodes and the story seemed interesting and with madhouse involved you know it will be good !

And I've heard some news about how more and more people on japan chose western culture over their tradition, there are more and more western style weddings and stuff...
TenoriJun 10, 2010 10:59 AM
Jun 10, 2010 10:56 AM

Mar 2008
Damn, they knew I wasn't watching live series cuz I'm too busy with animes, so they're making anime adapatation of TV shows in order to still get me. Smart guys...
Jun 10, 2010 11:08 AM

Dec 2007
Do you know what I find amusing. The Japanese consider "Supernatural" drama. Drama in Japan equals soap-opera.

We call it a "series" like it's a much different thing.

Lol.

I welcome this btw, if there was great irl slash to this now there will be more.
ladyxzeusJun 10, 2010 11:11 AM
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jun 10, 2010 11:11 AM

Jan 2010
FUCK YEAH!
This is just.. just.. YESSSS!! Oh, and Madhouse. Fuck even fucking more YEAH!
Jun 10, 2010 11:51 AM

Aug 2009
flygon250 said:
Heh.

I guess Madhouse have realised that they are completely out of touch with Otaku in Japan, so are now relying heavily on Western franchises and like Marvel superheroes and this, along with things that appeal to western audiences in general such as zombies (Highschool of the Dead, anyone?) in order to get sales and profits from international sales and licences to prevent them from going bust.

Isn't Madhouse doing Tatami Galaxy?
Jun 10, 2010 11:56 AM
Jun 2007
Sort of want. I'm not a fan of the TV series myself but the Japanese anime industry moving to and treading on different territory is an intriguing notion.

Now if this succeeds, I would cross my fingers for a Gossip Girl anime.
Jun 10, 2010 12:27 PM

Jul 2008
This sounds nice. I watched the first season a long time ago. I'd like to see how this adaption will turn out to be.
Jun 10, 2010 12:38 PM

Apr 2008
Animated Castiel, Sam and Dean? It sounds interesting enough, though as a huge fan of the TV series I am somewhat skeptical but am still going to watch it and see how it goes. Animated NCIS next anyone? lol
SevenJun 10, 2010 1:00 PM
Jun 10, 2010 12:44 PM
Oct 2009
Don't know how to take this...I'm a huge Supernatural fan i have all the box sets that are out.
I hope its good!
Jun 10, 2010 12:50 PM

Apr 2010
Loved the original, and since Madhouse is animating I seriously want to see the outcome of this.
Jun 10, 2010 1:17 PM
Sep 2008
Woah, when I heard about this earlier I thought it was a joke, but I guess not. Urk
Jun 10, 2010 1:23 PM

Apr 2009
No.
Jun 10, 2010 2:07 PM

Aug 2009
and here was I wandering what more I should expect... ¬¬
Jun 10, 2010 2:19 PM

Nov 2008
garfield15 said:
flygon250 said:
Heh.

I guess Madhouse have realised that they are completely out of touch with Otaku in Japan, so are now relying heavily on Western franchises and like Marvel superheroes and this, along with things that appeal to western audiences in general such as zombies (Highschool of the Dead, anyone?) in order to get sales and profits from international sales and licences to prevent them from going bust.

Yep, and it's performing so badly that the editor of noitaminA is going to shave his head.

Even Kobato sold poorly, and that was a CLAMP series. CLAMP series shouldn't be losing to Kuchu Buranko and Miracle Train sales-wise. They just shouldn't.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jun 10, 2010 3:09 PM

Oct 2007
They should animate 24.....
Jun 10, 2010 5:33 PM

Sep 2008
As long Madhouse get their money, I'm happy.
Jun 10, 2010 6:41 PM

Dec 2009
I actually like Supernatural...though I currently refuse to watch the newest season. This gives me something to look forward to related to Supernatural.

I will go ahead and start the debate now. Is this an anime or not?
Jun 10, 2010 6:44 PM

May 2007
Oh shi- seriously?? O:
Jun 10, 2010 7:04 PM

Apr 2009
garfield15 said:
flygon250 said:
Heh.

The Noitamina time slot isn't very popular.
Jun 10, 2010 7:37 PM

Oct 2008
SnG said:
Oh, lord.

Are there any news on Hannah Montana animated soon?

DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT.

The thought of it sends chills down my spine.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 10, 2010 8:10 PM

Jun 2009
Mysteic said:
I actually like Supernatural...though I currently refuse to watch the newest season. This gives me something to look forward to related to Supernatural.

Since it is being animated in Japan, I believe that makes it anime.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jun 10, 2010 8:57 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah, there is a lot of awesome anime that deserves to be done first. Why are they doing an american drama? I watched a couple of the episodes of Supernatural (just now) and it's nothing extra special....
But, if done properly I'm sure I'd like it. MADHOUSE is pretty awesome.. the website for the anime seems promising too.

Also, I agree.. it's being made in Japan by MADHOUSE (and also WB.. so that takes away) so I think it's an anime. Unless it's done in English first (or ONLY English) then I think it's a cartoon with anime production help. Like Avatar the last airbender.
Jun 10, 2010 9:36 PM

Dec 2009
mirai_may said:
Yeah, there is a lot of awesome anime that deserves to be done first. Why are they doing an american drama? I watched a couple of the episodes of Supernatural (just now) and it's nothing extra special....
But, if done properly I'm sure I'd like it. MADHOUSE is pretty awesome.. the website for the anime seems promising too.

Also, I agree.. it's being made in Japan by MADHOUSE (and also WB.. so that takes away) so I think it's an anime. Unless it's done in English first (or ONLY English) then I think it's a cartoon with anime production help. Like Avatar the last airbender.

You have to watching more than a couple of Episodes, especially from Season 1. The show doesn't get really creative until Season 2 and 3 when it takes a more comical tone to balance out the rather heavy drama of their biblical interpretations.
Jun 10, 2010 10:35 PM

Dec 2007
Ugh, just draw Supernatural in the 1990's version of Spider-man and Batman art style that made American cartoons great. I don't want to troll but Americans don't have faith in their own art style anymore? I see a nice gritty artstyle in Spiderman comics that Warner Bro's could of used to animate this instead of harassing the Japanese with. As a Canadian I should probably kick you american animators awake so you can make use of an art style that you already have to rival with the Japanese Anime art style. You even have the modernized version of it! Just Re-awaken it for animation and to combat with the Anime realm ^^.

Also, just because it gets animated in Japanese Anime artstyle doesn't make it the best. It would make it different or a fake Japanese Anime, but not automatically the best.

Sorry, I always get annoyed when people thing drawing in Anime = instant 5 star quality >.> I'll still watch it though it might not be as great, I'm guessing. It might be great, who knows.
EuroSubstanceJun 10, 2010 10:44 PM
Jun 10, 2010 11:28 PM

Jan 2008
This is gonna kick ass if done properly. And it'll still be good regardless.
Jun 10, 2010 11:58 PM

May 2008
mirichan00 said:
I'm so happy about this that I don't even care what the hell they'll do with the story. Just the mere thought of animated Sam and Dean... oh yeah. MADHOUSE I surrender.

My thoughts exactly.
Jun 11, 2010 2:32 AM

May 2009
This might actually turn out to be great ... I mean supernatural ftw :D + Madhouse, oh yeah!
Jun 11, 2010 2:46 AM

Jan 2010
renjikuchiki1 said:
this is kind of sad, they're are seriously running out of ideas that they are ripping off American ideas? they have the creative power to do better.....very sad....

You cant be serious. America has been "ripping off" Asian and European ideas since the country was founded. (I'm referring to a lot of things here, specifically movies and television.)

Supernatural itself is NOT an original idea, most of the episodes are directly taken off already established legends, myths, movies, music, and comics. But its still an awesome show nonetheless, one of my all time favs infact.

Lets face it, most things have already been done (to death) and originality is pretty much dead, everything is taken from something that already exists, we can only "borrow" stuff, tweak it, and hope it improves over the original.

As for a Supernatural Anime, im all for it......only if its a prequel.

Im hoping its going to fill-in the early years after sam and deans mother kicks the bucket and their father goes out for revenge, hunting monsters, tracking down ol yellow eyes while taking his sons along for the ride.
EricScissorhandsJun 11, 2010 2:52 AM
Jun 11, 2010 2:48 AM

Feb 2010
Im a supernatural addict, but the thought of it being animated makes me wonder how they will portray all the demons without making it seem somewhat childish.
Jun 11, 2010 2:52 AM

Feb 2010
I think it will be quite good actually.
NikeetaSamaJun 11, 2010 2:56 AM
Jun 11, 2010 3:12 AM

Jan 2010
So just a thought... but are they going to keep the hell hounds invisible still? Having invisible hell hounds duking it out is cool and all but still...

That being said, I hope they can keep the humor, its a great show if your watching for the lulz :)

Have you ever noticed that if you rearranged the letters in mother in law, they come out to Woman Hitler?
Jun 11, 2010 4:21 AM

Feb 2008
Anitnelav said:
SnG said:
Oh, lord.

Are there any news on Hannah Montana animated soon?

DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT.

The thought of it sends chills down my spine.

Why not? We got Iron Man, Wolverine, and now Superrwhateveratual, why not Hannah Montana, and maybe "Suit Life with Zack and Cody" or however it's called.
Jun 11, 2010 4:25 AM

Jun 2009
this is unexpected. lol
I cant wait to see how this will turn out, considering Im an avid fan of Supernatural.. XD

Thank you to Cyruz-chama for patiently helping me with my siggy ;)

Jun 11, 2010 4:50 AM

Nov 2007
Panaru said:
This is gonna kick ass if done properly. And it'll still be good regardless.
This. This. This.

I always have high hopes in Madhouse, them screwing up happens rarely imo.
I'm sure this will be actually really entertaining.
Jun 11, 2010 6:11 AM
Jan 2009
I'm kind of looking forward to this. My friends who watch the show speak highly of it. I hope the anime version turns out well.
Jun 11, 2010 6:25 AM
Jun 2009
wow. im looking forward to it though i just watched a few eps of supernatural and it was kinda good.
Jun 11, 2010 6:46 AM

Feb 2008
Mysteic said:
Definitely anime. Produced and creatively made by Japanese people at a Japanese studio and released in Japan. The fact that the show is originally American has no bearing on it, there are a multitude of western novel animations in the DB and those are all anime.

As for who's paying for it, I believe it's a joint venture between Warner Brothers Japan and US, so it's all good.

Even if it doesn't get a Japanese dub, it'd still be anime, that has never been a requirement but it has been helpful in determining if something has been released in Japan.

Of course, if it doesn't get released in Japan, we'll have to remove it but I doubt that is going to happen, it's pretty much the same story as Batman: Gotham Knight and Halo Legends, a dual market venture so I'm 99% sure it's going to stay.
Jun 11, 2010 7:05 AM

Mar 2009
ppizzapie said:
Bishie Dean and Sam!?!?!?!?

brb, FANGIRLING

lawl

Jun 11, 2010 7:10 AM

Nov 2008
Hopefully this is going to be a really nice one.
Jun 11, 2010 7:40 AM

Oct 2009
No.really dont want this.I love Supernatural as the way it is.

Hope they wont try to animate Lost too =_=

Jun 11, 2010 7:59 AM
Jan 2010
LOL

this is totally unexpected for me...

but supernatural rulez
Jun 11, 2010 9:08 AM

Feb 2010
This could be interesting. I really like Madhouse so I'll give it a try when it airs.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 11, 2010 9:51 AM

Dec 2008
Hm. My older brother loves this series, and I found it kind of boring. Maybe this'll peak my interest for the show again, and maybe get my brother to watch an anime for once. =o
... If they dub it, I kind of hope they get the original actors to dub them.
Jun 11, 2010 2:01 PM

Mar 2009
uh I'm like.. shocked? btw Kripke is in so it can't be bad... still... UNBELIVEABLE!
I mean that they were caring so much about fans was already surprising but this, that my fave american series getting into anime? well wow.

aanyway it would be awesome if they'd go as far as season 5 so we could see Cas and Chuck too! (and Anna and Zachariah and Becky and and... *fangirl mode*)

hehe and maybe some yaoi action with Cas x Dean

btw can you (co-fans) imagine the Winchester's speaking without J2's voices?! oh it'll be definietly strange.. and with seiyuu's wow

..I somewhat want to see it and somewhat not.. all I can say now, MOE MOE KYUN!
~ MALrewrite member ~
Manga, graphic novel & book reviews: http://mikoreads.wordpress.com/
Jun 11, 2010 2:06 PM

Feb 2008
I'm shocked.

But Supernatural rocks. So can't wait.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
5 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.