Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese and US Manga Publishers Ally Against Scanlations

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

Jun 8, 2010 6:31 PM

According to Publishers Weekly, 42 Japanese and US manga publishers have united to form an international group to combat scanlation and they are threatening to take legal actions against 30 websites. The publishers coalition includes Kodansha, Shogakugan, Shueisha, Square Enix, Vertical Inc., VIZ Media, Tokyopop, and Yen Press.

The spokesperson of the group said they will take injunctive measure if the scanlation sites stop their activities on their own. They have already been reporting scanlator's violations to US Justice Department and FBI. Publishers Weekly named MangaFox and OneManga as the major scanlation websites.

Kurt Hassler, the publishing director of Yen Press, pointed out the inverse correlation between the increase of the traffic of scanlation websites and the decrease of the manga sales in US.

The spokesperson said that so-called "scanlation aggregators" have transformed the fan based activities of scanlation into for-profit websites that provide thousands of illegal scans of manga and earn money by memberships and advertising revenues. Hassler said that fan scanlators had withdrawn their translations when the manga was licensed but it's no longer the case with the current "business" scanlators. "We don’t want to have to do this but publishers are now focused on this problem."

Source: Publishers Weekly, Anime!Anime!

Story by ladyxzeus
Modified by dtshyk, Jun 8, 2010 7:02 PM

Jun 8, 2010 6:40 PM

I'm surprised it took them this long. I hope Tazmo gets prosecuted.

Edit: Onemanga traffic: 33,912,000 estimated monthly views
Mangafox: 6,649,800 estimated monthly views
Modified by MagicWookie, Jun 8, 2010 7:28 PM
"The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war." - Sun Tzu

Jun 8, 2010 6:43 PM

So "fan scanlators" are safe, right? As long as it isn't licensed.

Internet, serious business guys.

Jun 8, 2010 6:44 PM

OK... so now on, there will only be sales for the popular series, because the people who don't live in Japan won't know what is going on with the new series... and the countries where don't sale manga will be left out, and new ways of scanlation will appear... they aren't analyzing the problem enough!

Jun 8, 2010 6:47 PM

Pw3age said:
So "fan scanlators" are safe, right? As long as it isn't licensed.

Internet, serious business guys.

looks like it. Anyway selling any warez or pirated content for even a cent is bad.

Jun 8, 2010 6:47 PM

..So does that mean we don't have any more scanlations!? This is bad. D:

Jun 8, 2010 6:53 PM

LOL.

Wait. Business Scanlations? People pay for scanlations? LMAO.

Jun 8, 2010 6:57 PM

Azure_Shockwave said:
LOL.

I know rite?
People also pay to watch anime. Oh the hilarity.

I take icon requests.

Jun 8, 2010 6:57 PM

Who would pay for scanlations? :/

I don't think this will stop people from scanlating, though. Someone will find a loophole. Either way it doesn't affect me. I don't read manga online.

Jun 8, 2010 6:58 PM

Wow.

Understandable they want legal action....I didn't even know people paid for scanlations (quite ridiculous)....but the fan scanlations don't seem like they would be a big problem.

Jun 8, 2010 7:03 PM

I remember the days when I had to hop onto IRC and download zip files to read my favorite series. Now it's all streamed.

Something is seriously wrong when I type "One Piece" into google, just to get a link from onemanga show up before funis or vizs own section to the series.

Those manga streaming sites make money off of ad revenue. When the site owners say it's just so they can have the money to keep the site going, it's a blatant lie. They are making money off of other peoples work, and that's just pathetic.

Jun 8, 2010 7:04 PM

Free said:
Azure_Shockwave said:
LOL.

I know rite?
People also pay to watch anime. Oh the hilarity.

Could choke to death...

Jun 8, 2010 7:05 PM

Once again, bullshittery and scare tactics.

This happened a few years back with ADV and so on cracking down on anime fansubbers. The source of the issue is not the fan scanlators. The source of the issue is the fucking pay sites. Kill the pay sites. Leave the others alone. Make the pay sites that exist hire *competent* members. (CR, you are guilty of this, and it is for the same reason I still refuse to watch anything produced by you, even if it's a rip of your subs put on a raw.) The source of the issue is bookstores who leave people to read for an entire hour with a graphic novel in their hands without saying a word since, after all, they didn't leave the store with the book.

You will do yourselves no favors by alienating the same people who would go to buy your shit. You will go the way of the dodo, and I will spit upon your grave, awaiting the next small publishing company to find their diamonds in the rough to take your places.

Everyone else milking the system: you know you're doing wrong. Buy the books. Be honest with yourselves and buy from the industry. But do not buy from those who would shake legal sticks at honorable scanlators who stop when projects are announced.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Peace.
~Shade and sweet water~
Group Lead of Otenba -- Quality Check Lead of Static-Subs

Jun 8, 2010 7:08 PM

From what I gather from this article, they're going after the sites making money off scanlations... which makes COMPLETE sense. Those sites really shouldn't exist.

I can't believe this didn't happen earlier.

Jun 8, 2010 7:08 PM

People still upload songs for people to download illegally, and record companies have been trying to stop this for how long? they can threaten all they want, even follow through with said threats, but it wont do shit. the internet is huge, youll never stop all scanlators from uploading.

Jun 8, 2010 7:12 PM

Rereading the whole article I noticed this text "These sites are run as businesses and include direct scans of licensed English-language manga editions. Some even include our copyright notices. We don’t want to have to do this but publishers are now focused on this problem."....

Ummm mangafox...

Jun 8, 2010 7:18 PM

I think this was an issue that needed to be adressed, however on the down side, I definately know that this will most likely cause a downfall in the number of manga they sell. I am also disapointed because by reading scanlations, I have massively increased my range of manga by reading scanlations as well as how many manga I read are not published in English and are not likely to be any time soon, or not at all.

Jun 8, 2010 7:22 PM

BRING IT ON!

Jun 8, 2010 7:28 PM

Fine... go deprive people who can't read Japanese and those who can't get their hands on "english licensed" once of manga... (I hope these companies loose more customers)

Jun 8, 2010 7:33 PM

well it is was a matter of time before this happened but it is probably too little too late. the only way to ever truly fight piracy is to take complete control of the internet. let us see if anyone tries that.

well here is to another front in the battle against piracy...i guess. may the most resilient side win.

Jun 8, 2010 7:41 PM
JusticeGundam said:
I remember the days when I had to hop onto IRC and download zip files to read my favorite series. Now it's all streamed.

Something is seriously wrong when I type "One Piece" into google, just to get a link from onemanga show up before funis or vizs own section to the series.

Those manga streaming sites make money off of ad revenue. When the site owners say it's just so they can have the money to keep the site going, it's a blatant lie. They are making money off of other peoples work, and that's just pathetic.

This.

This just means that these pay sites will go away until someone else replaces them, and then the fans will flock to that site. For the time being people will just have to stop being spoiled look a little harder for scanlations.

At least this move doesn't make the companies look like complete fools, like the time they threatened legal action against mangaupdates (even though it's just a database site) instead of going after pay sites.

Jun 8, 2010 7:42 PM
I'm sort of on the side of the JPN and US publishers. I think things are getting a little out of hand with all of these scanlations and if this doesn't stop, then the US probably won't be seeing anymore manga lining the shelves of our favorite bookstores. The manga business is really declining and it's most liking going to cease completely if people don't start actually buying the real manga volumes.

Sorry for being the bad guy by posting this, but that's how I feel about it.
Modified by Gone__Forever__, Jun 9, 2010 11:15 AM

Jun 8, 2010 7:47 PM

If they didn't make manga so expensive, I'd buy more. 13 dollars a volume would eat away at my money like a million termites in a log cabin.

This entire operation will fail though.

Jun 8, 2010 7:49 PM

JusticeGundam said:

This

About motherfucking time. Next up; anime streaming sites.

Jun 8, 2010 7:55 PM

B-chan911 said:
I'm sort of on the side of the JPN and US publishers. I think things are getting a little out of hand with all of these scanlations and if this doesn't stop, then the US probably won't be seeing anymore manga lining the shelves of our favorite bookstores. The manga business is really declining and it's most liking going to cease completely if people don't start actually buying the real manga volumes.

not really. Since the advent of the internet, media distribution became ridiculously easy and efficient. couple that with the fact it can be distributed pretty much anonymously and in varied methods. this is a battle that doesn't just involve the music, movie industries, but all forms of media (free or paid).

the only danger to this fight is that eventually the internet may become more and more restricted by various governments to combat piracy. lets face it, Free is hard to compete with.

maybe manga artists should get together and start their own scan sites and ditch their publishers. since paper form manga wont be around anymore, they would have a monopoly on the manga they distribute. people will be forced to go to the internet. they get ad revenue, we get manga for free, no harm done. haha!

as for manga ceasing completely....well you still can get music can you not? new movies are being made are they not? as long as people have stories to tell, you can be sure we will have a means to obtain them.

Jun 8, 2010 8:01 PM

I support this. It's a smart move, and it's also good to see that they are all taking action together, rather than go at it individually, which could cause negative publicity.

Manga isn't free, and considering how many people read manga in North America sales should definitely be stronger than they are now. Scnalating is good to get to know about manga, but without the publishers there wouldn't be any to begin with.

Of course, scanlating will still persist. The good thing about it is that even a lone scanner can do it, and the size of the files isn't so big that it'd be difficult to distribute. It's really sites like onemanga and mangafox that need to, and will be targeted, if I understand the article correctly.

As for how this will affect manga sales... I highly doubt it will have a negative impact. Whether it will have a positive impact, one can only hope.

edit: at person above

I agree that publishing should move onto online alternatives, but I like my manga in paper, thank you very much. The issue here is that online distribution isn't profitable enough to support the staff necessary to publish manga. At least I don't think so.

What they need to do is move onto profitable alternatives. There are e-book readers on the market, the most recent example being the iPad, I believe. Make subscription-based websites that are easily accessible by portable, Internet enabled devices, and that also offer free content as well as paid content. Make digitalized mangas that are sellable as e-books on portable reader devices, through distribution sites such as the iTunes Store or Amazon.
Modified by georgi, Jun 8, 2010 8:09 PM
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans

Jun 8, 2010 8:11 PM

pistachio20 said:
If they didn't make manga so expensive, I'd buy more. 13 dollars a volume would eat away at my money like a million termites in a log cabin.

This entire operation will fail though.

>.> id also buy manga except that problem and the crappy cleaning they do im a manga cleaner and i have to say ive seen realy bad officail mangas that i wanted to fix up and V2 due to the bad cleaning and typesetting and then email them the files and tell them to use it

also i doubt it will improve sales for them because everyones tight on cash these days

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already

Jun 8, 2010 8:28 PM

So wait, the people in MAL are actually SUPPORTING and APPROVING this plan?! Either today is opposite day or something funky was put in the rice and lima beans I had for dinner and just didn't realize it.

But seriously, when did anyone on MAL care to go hip-hip hooray for this type of news?! I could've sworn the average person on MAL hated anime/manga companies and bitch at them for all sorts of reasons ranging from unfavorable translations to lack of instant media to watch/read on the web at the same time as Japan.
Modified by Hypeathon, Jun 8, 2010 8:43 PM

Jun 8, 2010 8:47 PM

As long as they don't involve fan scanlations who don't do it for profit, that's fine.

Jun 8, 2010 9:01 PM

Hypeathon said:
So wait, the people in MAL are actually SUPPORTING and APPROVING this plan?! Either today is opposite day or something funky was put in the rice and lima beans I had for dinner and just didn't realize it.

But seriously, when did anyone on MAL care to go hip-hip hooray for this type of news?! I could've sworn the average person on MAL hated anime/manga companies and bitch at them for all sorts of reasons ranging from unfavorable translations to lack of instant media to watch/read on the web at the same time as Japan.
~mal is surprising in many ways~

Jun 8, 2010 9:16 PM

Ad revenue =/= making money off scanlations. The money is paid by the ad suppliers, and only if there are clicks (which are always free to the clickee). Please kill the websites that make you pay to view.

But anyways, totally agree with Raypture there.

Guess it's time to move on from OneManga and MangaFox, seeing as they've already taken down most of the series I read. Too bad there was just a big hoopla over at MangaHut...
Modified by JadeMatrix, Jun 8, 2010 9:22 PM
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Jun 8, 2010 9:18 PM
As long as I can still find some scans for the series I follow, I am fine with this, especially the sites that make you pay. I do buy manga, its just that usually it is way behind the amount of chapters from Japan.

Jun 8, 2010 9:23 PM

I don't really understand this. I thought scanlations are the one that actually helps the popularity of manga. I mean, seriously. Because of those scanlation, we know that some of the minority mangas other than shonens actually exist. Well, I guess I was wrong.

Blah, what the hack. If someone is going to take money off scanlations, I don't think it will be profitable in anyway. Even MAL has a advertisements. Why not for scanlation sites?

Honestly, I don't really care. Screw it.

Jun 8, 2010 9:25 PM
the only manga I still read online are Kurohime and Hayate The Combat Butler so...

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider

Jun 8, 2010 9:27 PM

well, I can agree with closing down website that make you PAY to view scanlations. That's just bull shit.

... And taking licensed stuff away is okay I guess...

But fuck them if they try to take away un-licensed shit.