Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 9, 4:00 AM

Jan 2008
It would be called reverse shonen. The idea is that as the characters progress through the story, they become weaker rather than stronger. They lose their cool abilities they had at the start and each new battle leaves them battered and worn down, until they begin to develop chemical dependencies and a general sense of hopelessness.

What are your thoughts?
Jul 9, 4:09 AM

Sep 2016
Good idea actually, I would watch that.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 9, 4:31 AM

Mar 2023
Basically "What if Goku had pseudocoma".
Jul 9, 4:32 AM

Nov 2019
Why do we need to hear the story of your life? Especially when it's not inspirational.
SgtBateManJul 9, 4:36 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jul 9, 4:37 AM

May 2015
That's depressing. Could be interesting as a trope deconstruction, but turning it into the whole genre? Not sure it has the potential to take off.
Jul 9, 5:03 AM

Sep 2021
Lmao that would be interesting to watch ngl
Jul 9, 5:04 AM
Apr 2024
One show could be interesting if done well, it could be like mha from All might's POV, but an entire genre is too much
Jul 9, 5:31 AM

Jun 2017
200 IQ idea: watch the series in reverse order.

Here's another: reverse romance. A couple starts all lovey-dovey, doing the do-you-want-dinner-first shit, and gradually constant association begets routine, indifference, apathy, weariness, dislike, until they end up as total strangers or hating each other's guts.

a.k.a. realism.

Jul 9, 6:10 AM

Feb 2021
I don't like this idea at all, sorry.
Jul 9, 6:12 AM

Apr 2012
Doesn't sound much like the reverse of Azumanga Daioh.
Jul 9, 6:16 AM

Sep 2018
We need a true reverse harem anime. Think of mushoku starting with a harem, but the girls leave the harem for other guys. It would go well with reverse shounen.
Jul 9, 6:29 AM

Dec 2014
Congratulations. You have successfully reverse engineered Casshern Sins.
Jul 9, 7:44 AM

Oct 2010
you just described vinland saga, to be honest this garbage needs to have its own genre so that I won't get fooled again in watching trash when they hyped it for being a cool revenge story
Jul 9, 8:41 AM

Jan 2021
1.Shounen isn't a genre but a demographic so why would a reverse shounen be a genre.

2.The naming of this 'genre' doesn't even make sense, many non shounen series has their character progressively get stronger.

3.Only way i see it working is something like this: a fabled warrior progressivly getting weaker because of old age, the series tackle and showcase his experience with it.

Or other similiar examples.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 9, 8:57 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reply to SgtBateMan
Why do we need to hear the story of your life? Especially when it's not inspirational.
@SgtBateMan only sgtbateman can modifiy a diss and still not do it well.

Jul 9, 8:57 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
idk about genre
but as a single shounen manga, its so good id steal that concept if I could.

Jul 9, 9:00 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reply to desusama
Congratulations. You have successfully reverse engineered Casshern Sins.
@desusama wtf casshern is nothing like this
op said a series where the protagonist gets weaker each fight increasing the stakes, providing space for cool fight writing, and a clear cut and understandable premise

casshern is just a dude who forgot he was strong.

Jul 9, 9:03 AM

Jan 2009
so instead of optimism given by battle shonen then this genre is about pessimism

isnt attack on titan already about pessimism? and attack on titan is a battle shonen
Jul 9, 11:48 AM

Dec 2014
Reply to BerriesSan
@desusama wtf casshern is nothing like this
op said a series where the protagonist gets weaker each fight increasing the stakes, providing space for cool fight writing, and a clear cut and understandable premise

casshern is just a dude who forgot he was strong.
@BerriesSan OP said a series where the CHARACTERS progress through the story, they become weaker rather than stronger. They lose their cool abilities they had at the start and each new battle leaves them battered and worn down, until they begin to develop chemical dependencies and a general sense of hopelessness. You decided it had to be the protagonist on your own.
Jul 9, 12:50 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
The hero was reincarnated into another world as a 90 year old man in a retirement home with liver cancer and dementia and is rapidly losing all of his abilities
Jul 9, 1:25 PM

Jul 2013
You don't come up with new ideas. Because the system is broken and unsustainable.
Jul 9, 1:34 PM

Apr 2020
at least its something new, but i definitely would not be into that. stories should be hopeful imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 4:08 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to BerriesSan
@SgtBateMan only sgtbateman can modifiy a diss and still not do it well.
@BerriesSan Okay, chief. Give me Modification 101, please.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jul 9, 9:55 PM
May 2012
Isekan't is an anime about a warrior girl who lives in a fantasy world where she dies fighting a dragon and finds herself reborn in Japan 2020 and has to deal with covid, demographic decline, unemployment and inflation, exorbitant rental costs. She will find herself fighting against prejudices due to her "childish/cartoonish" appearance and her immature behavior, she adapts to finding a job at McDonald's not without problems because all she knows how to do is fight goblins and monsters. In her adventure she will meet a human girl named Tomoko who will host her at her house and teach her how to live in Japan.
Jul 9, 10:24 PM

Jan 2020
Shounen but the protagonist suffers alzheimer, depression and muscular dystrophy. It would be simultaneously a hilarious and depressing idea.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jul 9, 10:28 PM

Oct 2013
Why would it be called "reverse shounen?" One, pretty sure "reverse shounen" is shoujo. Two, there's no such thing as a reverse shounen magazine, which is where shounen gets it's descriptor from in the first place. This is just the plot of anything with a beaten down protag that's past his prime. It almost sounds like an oscar bait movie if you take away the superpower aspect.
Jul 9, 10:40 PM

Apr 2023
Soooo what, is this gonna be like an anime about someone having cancer or something?
Jul 9, 11:31 PM

May 2018
"They lose their cool abilities they had at the start and each new battle leaves them battered and worn down"

So basically Dororo?
Jul 10, 2:30 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reply to SgtBateMan
@BerriesSan Okay, chief. Give me Modification 101, please.
@SgtBateMan nah just use ChatGPT mate.

Jul 10, 2:52 AM

Dec 2017
That's my life. I had the power to silent sneeze, now it hurts my soul if I try and surpress it.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jul 10, 2:58 AM

Dec 2017
Reply to Tirinchas
200 IQ idea: watch the series in reverse order.

Here's another: reverse romance. A couple starts all lovey-dovey, doing the do-you-want-dinner-first shit, and gradually constant association begets routine, indifference, apathy, weariness, dislike, until they end up as total strangers or hating each other's guts.

a.k.a. realism.
@Tirinchas isn't that the plot of boys abyss?
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jul 10, 4:17 AM

Jun 2017
Reply to karrotStick
@Tirinchas isn't that the plot of boys abyss?
@karrotStick I couldn't say, I haven't read it. But it's a plot you find a lot, from Kramer vs. Kramer to The War of the Roses. It would be a new concept in anime. Not likely to succeed though.

Jul 10, 4:35 AM

Jan 2020
Reply to KingOfPneumos
Soooo what, is this gonna be like an anime about someone having cancer or something?
@KingOfPneumos Full Moon wo Sagashite but it's not action but rather a musical shoujo.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jul 10, 5:20 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to BerriesSan
@SgtBateMan nah just use ChatGPT mate.
@BerriesSan was your reply ChatGPT-generated so as to advertise the service?

Jul 10, 5:39 AM

Mar 2020
I don't think it could work as a genre, but I do like the idea of one for a show. Having the characters get worn down or limiting how many times special moves can be used is a good way to raise the stakes as the series goes on. Having recurring villains or rivals who do so too would probably be necessary unless you want a bad ending.
deg said:
so instead of optimism given by battle shonen then this genre is about pessimism
Doesn't have to be pessimistic, could rework into an inspirational story about your spirit not giving up even as the body does or something.

Jul 10, 5:40 AM

Mar 2023
Kinda like the movie Raging Bull.
The idea should work for a one off, but not for a whole genre though

More topics from this board

» Loli

BlueEyedDragon88 - Yesterday

47 by I_shoot_kids_fr »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you agree 2011 was a great year for anime?

SupremeGod - Yesterday

14 by MeguSae38 »»
8 minutes ago

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 )

MercurialAlien - Yesterday

88 by SimplyBrazen »»
19 minutes ago

» I need help to find this anime!!

keitovsk - 2 hours ago

10 by tchitchouan »»
21 minutes ago

» If 4chan Itself Became an Anime

HyroSan - Feb 10, 2023

9 by zech »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.