Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 1:47 AM
Nov 2022
So a boy meets oni girl and goes on a quest to find her mom. A fun adventure movie with romance elements and life lessons. The animation was also great. A solid 8/10
May 24, 3:23 AM

Jul 2021
Meh, another forgettable Netflix anime film

Felt one part Suzume in a way without its charm. The last part was paced too fast even though this film was like 2hrs. The romance in this felt half baked as well. I wish they spent more time on the chemistry between them than the snow god whatever. Never really liked when characters suddenly develop feelings with each other after spending such little time together.
6.5/10 in the end, it's better than other Netflix films like Maboroshi, Drifting Home and Whisker Away (all 5-6/10 to me)
but nowhere near the likes of Shinkai films and co
May 24, 3:27 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Cestlavie_
Meh, another forgettable Netflix anime film

Felt one part Suzume in a way without its charm. The last part was paced too fast even though this film was like 2hrs. The romance in this felt half baked as well. I wish they spent more time on the chemistry between them than the snow god whatever. Never really liked when characters suddenly develop feelings with each other after spending such little time together.
6.5/10 in the end, it's better than other Netflix films like Maboroshi, Drifting Home and Whisker Away (all 5-6/10 to me)
but nowhere near the likes of Shinkai films and co
@Cestlavie_ I actually think this is a better Suzume but to each their own.
7/10 for me.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
May 24, 3:30 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to ZER0PT
7/10 for me.
@ZER0PT Yeah, fair enough
To each their own indeed.
May 24, 3:56 AM

Jun 2021
Watched it just now, on the day of the release

Will say, felt very much like Suzume. But it didn't maintain itself as complex as Suzume tried to do. That's why My Oni Girl is more enjoyable to me

It was a freshing story. Liked the characters. And as it was a movie, the romance was of course half cooked.

Visual wise it was just good, not on par with Suzume in that department of course.

7.5/10 type of movie for me.

Thanks Netflix

~ Weeboo
May 24, 4:08 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Posts #1 to #5 merged from a duplicate thread to the episode discussion thread.
May 24, 4:56 AM
Dec 2018
I watched half of it, and it hard not to compare it to Suzume. But definitely feels better than Suzume so far (I hated those noodle like monsters).
May 24, 7:28 AM
Oct 2021
is no one going to mention the casual inc3st scene between those two siblings with the van??? wth was that
May 24, 7:32 AM
Mar 2023
Can someone spoil me and tell me if they get together if they don’t I’m not gonna watch it
May 24, 8:55 AM

Oct 2017
@oanamii Anime may have ruined normal sibling relationships for us all. Admittedly, they overplayed their scene about "communication" but I think it was simply that the sister admired her brother but didn't share his interests as much.

@Eldencheese it's left ambiguous
May 24, 11:04 AM
Apr 2018
love the animation , sound, the story is preety good.
May 24, 12:23 PM

May 2020
@Eldencheese they don't. Its a normal sibling relationship combined with a little bit of codepedence.

Idk that the heck oanamii is on, other than delusion juice. Probably just trying to troll, or just straight up immature and delusional.
May 24, 12:25 PM

May 2020
Not a bad film. I'd give it a 6.5 or 7. I wasn't really emotionally invested at any time, but I don't feel like I wasted too much time necessarily.
May 24, 1:20 PM
Sep 2023
I am confused about Hiragi's father's feelings.I doubt if he was even worried.

Btw it was quite a nice movie,although the story wasn’t much sad.Animation was great,nice soundtracks,overall 8/10 for me

Rom-Com_loverMay 24, 4:29 PM
May 24, 3:10 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good movie

it will be a lie if i say that i will watch it again.

the animation was not bad but the story was maybe too simple, i mean, i was not really feeling sad even in bad moments.

at the end of the day,I had a great time even if it will not be memorable for me.

7/10
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 24, 3:52 PM
Mar 2024
So did I catch a love confession at the end?
May 24, 3:57 PM
Mar 2024
Eldencheese said:
Can someone spoil me and tell me if they get together if they don’t I’m not gonna watch it

I don’t know the source material, but I guess it’s an open ending. So I’ll just say they became friends and after years even more than that. An oni and a human interesting!
May 24, 8:01 PM
May 2017
Very, very good movie!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 24, 8:12 PM
May 2017
Reply to Silverlight41
So a boy meets oni girl and goes on a quest to find her mom. A fun adventure movie with romance elements and life lessons. The animation was also great. A solid 8/10
@Silverlight41
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 25, 1:25 AM

Feb 2022
Not that good story more like half baked and disjoint story structure. Till the end the boy hasn't resolved its struggle on helping people and saying no for once good sake.
From mid part to the end they abruptly shifted the focus on the girl instead of the boy which was uh meh for me not enough character development for both of the character.
For me its 5/10.
gglollMay 25, 1:31 AM
May 25, 2:52 AM

Nov 2013
Nothing special but still good and enjoyable show. 7.5-8 IMO. Second half was weaker.
Would loved if the Oni-world was explained more.
God/spirits made little sense. Why were they attacking the Oni (just because Tsumugi's mom got depressed while in her spirit form)? They apparently helped hide the village and produced snow and at the end they kind of kamikazed themselves for some reason. Doesn't seem the village location was revealed to humans. I mean, humans still can't enter the hidden village, Hiiragi tried after all, so wtf happened? What did grandma mean with "guess village will have to adapt"? I thought the main issue was the village was going to be revealed but no. Why were they stealing people to begin with? Why only Tsumugi's mom returned back to her oni-form at the end? Were all those spirits transformed oni, or were they all "drones" controlled by Tsumugi's mom? What changed at the end? Why was her sacrifice needed to begin with? There will be no more snow and that's it? It's not like Oni need snow to survive and the village still remains hidden so?
Dunno. If I missed these details somehow, please someone answer. If it's left for us to speculate that's ok too I guess, but I'd prefer if the show gave us more info.
P.S don't think the ending necessarily implies Tsumugi confessed her love, but think it's 50/50. Best buddies or couple. There really was no time for romance, considering the girl was desperately looking for her mom and almost died several times lol.
May 25, 3:07 AM

Apr 2012
I think the ending more than implies a confession. Moreover, the film has already explored/teased the theme of love and family before. But overall a weak 7 out of 10 for me. It felt more like an OVA about someone's past from some larger show than a standalone movie.
May 25, 6:17 AM
Mar 2024
RobertBobert said:
I think the ending more than implies a confession. Moreover, the film has already explored/teased the theme of love and family before. But overall a weak 7 out of 10 for me. It felt more like an OVA about someone's past from some larger show than a standalone movie.

It can always happen, but the chances are mere 0,?
May 25, 6:20 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to NeinHumein
RobertBobert said:

It can always happen, but the chances are mere 0,?
@NeinHumein Chances of what? You are contradicting yourself.
May 25, 6:25 AM
Mar 2024
RobertBobert said:

What I mean was that it will have a continuation and of some sort, but it won’t happen I’m pretty certain.
May 25, 6:31 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to NeinHumein
RobertBobert said:

What I mean was that it will have a continuation and of some sort, but it won’t happen I’m pretty certain.
@NeinHumein Oh, that's what you're talking about. In that case, I apologize, at first I thought that you agreed and denied the same thesis at the same time. Well, considering this is a Netflix original, I really don't think we'll get a sequel. Maximum manga adaptation.
May 25, 6:32 AM
Mar 2024
RobertBobert said:
@NeinHumein Oh, that's what you're talking about. In that case, I apologize, at first I thought that you agreed and denied the same thesis at the same time. Well, considering this is a Netflix original, I really don't think we'll get a sequel. Maximum manga adaptation.

Does I have a source couldn’t find anything about it
May 25, 6:33 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to NeinHumein
RobertBobert said:

Does I have a source couldn’t find anything about it
@NeinHumein This is a completely original anime. As far as I understand, this studio generally creates original children's adventure films https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1033/Studio_Colorido .
May 25, 6:34 AM
Jun 2022
I recently started watching Anime movies. I started with Suzume. Suzume truly moved me, made my heart melt, and left me in tears of joy. I was (still am) excited when I saw My Oni Girl trailer on Netflix. I really had high hopes of it, and that sure paid out. It is a beautiful piece of work. The production team did a wonderful job. I hope we get more from them. 9/10 for My Oni Girl.
May 25, 8:11 AM

Jul 2020
good enough to kill some time

too many things about the oni world were left unexplained

also, this moment at the end was weird:
- hey so I just realized my true feelings and I want to be with you
*2 minutes later*
- actually nvm I gotta go
May 25, 11:26 AM
Jun 2022
It was a cute movie, I liked the visuals it’s a one time watch for me though.
May 25, 5:36 PM
Mar 2023
ZER0PT said:
7/10 for me.

nah the adventure gone way smoth for those
May 26, 3:35 AM
Jul 2023
A bit of a let down, considering Studio Colorido's past projects
May 26, 6:37 PM

Jan 2016
Really good non overdramatic movie.
Props for not having this super cliche scene to make the viewer cry, you just have this feeling of satisfaction throughout all the last part.
I love how people complain that the worldbuilding wasn't explained better when the only thing you should be focusing on are the characters and nothing else heh

It was a really good experience but I have no doubts this movie will just vanish from my memories in a month lol
RyushindaiMay 26, 6:48 PM
May 26, 8:48 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Wait a second, he went from being willing to die to be with her to being quick to say "I'll go home instead of stay with you". The fuck?
May 27, 3:20 PM

Mar 2012
Incredible how such a well made anime in the art and animation department is being SO boring in the narrative side!
May 28, 9:22 PM

Nov 2023
Honestly, I liked it more than I thought I would. It's a very good film, and I liked it all the way through.
May 29, 11:31 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to Lolicon
Wait a second, he went from being willing to die to be with her to being quick to say "I'll go home instead of stay with you". The fuck?
@Lolicon I think I get what you mean. He could've stayed for a few hours more at least, maybe? Felt a bit too rushed, like "job's done, bye?"
I think you'd agree he wasn't willing to stay there forever though. After all, he didn't hate his family or something. He was absent for quite some time and knew his parents (lil sister didn't seem to worry that much :D) were worried and waiting and searching. I think it still makes sense why he'd want to return back ASAP! Seeing her family reunited I think made him desire reuniting with own family ASAP too. Mom, in particular, was very worried. Plus, this was an unexpected journey for the guy and he was pretty much forced into it so wanting to return to cozy home ASAP to relax also makes sense; plus I think it's kind of awkward for him to stick around when the family is busy celebrating reunion and likely need some privacy.

He did try to return to her shortly after though, but the world is still inaccessible for humans so he failed.
Jun 6, 3:48 PM
Jul 2008
Reply to Sigmar-Unberogen
@Lolicon I think I get what you mean. He could've stayed for a few hours more at least, maybe? Felt a bit too rushed, like "job's done, bye?"
I think you'd agree he wasn't willing to stay there forever though. After all, he didn't hate his family or something. He was absent for quite some time and knew his parents (lil sister didn't seem to worry that much :D) were worried and waiting and searching. I think it still makes sense why he'd want to return back ASAP! Seeing her family reunited I think made him desire reuniting with own family ASAP too. Mom, in particular, was very worried. Plus, this was an unexpected journey for the guy and he was pretty much forced into it so wanting to return to cozy home ASAP to relax also makes sense; plus I think it's kind of awkward for him to stick around when the family is busy celebrating reunion and likely need some privacy.

He did try to return to her shortly after though, but the world is still inaccessible for humans so he failed.
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
I think I get what you mean. He could've stayed for a few hours more at least, maybe? Felt a bit too rushed, like "job's done, bye?"
I think you'd agree he wasn't willing to stay there forever though.

Just like Superman, he just went off after helping people lol. I think the producer said that they only have xx minutes left so they need to wrap it fast lol. I'm disappointed because I was expecting the scene where both of them came back to the people who helped them.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

That's the weird thing. The snow god is gone but the village kept being hidden? What's the point of pleasing the snow god then?
Jun 7, 12:19 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to LeonLanford
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
I think I get what you mean. He could've stayed for a few hours more at least, maybe? Felt a bit too rushed, like "job's done, bye?"
I think you'd agree he wasn't willing to stay there forever though.

Just like Superman, he just went off after helping people lol. I think the producer said that they only have xx minutes left so they need to wrap it fast lol. I'm disappointed because I was expecting the scene where both of them came back to the people who helped them.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

That's the weird thing. The snow god is gone but the village kept being hidden? What's the point of pleasing the snow god then?
LeonLanford said:
Yeah, that's the weirdest thing that made no sense. What was the point of Oni mom sacrificing herself to begin with? Oni world was pretty poorly explained overall.
Jun 8, 9:39 AM

Feb 2016
I expected better from the studio tbh. I was waiting for their new film for a while now hoping for it to be a other banger but this one was kinda downer.
It was all over the place. Lacked coherence.
Jun 9, 12:13 AM

Feb 2008
An aside: I don’t recall when I overheard a conversation about the origin of this project. It might have been a side conversation in one of my classes or a conversation in a bar. Nonetheless it was one of those local folk in the know things.

All in all I felt this was an okay movie. Nothing out of the ordinary. The story was essentially an Okitama/south Murayama road movie for me. I was expecting a little worse story-wise given that it’s a Studio Colorido film but found that it didn’t tank. The characters are cute looking, have the minimum amount of personality to keep one’s attention, and the side characters have stories that add some value to the film. Essentially a 6 out of 10 for me.

Another side note: It took a bit to realize the boy lived in Kaminoyama but attended Yonezawa Commercial HS (I kind of doubt that would happen in real life).

Also, the park where the siblings were selling their wares is close to where I live. Nishijo Tenman Park
Jun 12, 10:00 PM

Sep 2013
A solid 8/10 from me too!

Yes there was a mutual confession at the very end.
No, he couldn't stay there. He had to return to face both his family & himself. To become worthy of her, just like Taiga had to do in Toradora. Besides, they're still kids! Not going to use that baby-blessing charm just yet, eh?
I suspect that if he stayed in the village longer he couldn't return to human form & thus would be stuck there? Maybe.

It's good to have a good ending that makes sense, but not every single little thing needs to be explained for us, eh? A little mystery, fodder for discussion 😺

BTW: Anyone else get the feeling that one or both of the inn owners was a kappa?
That wasn't an "Inuit hat" it was a "trapper's hat" which is widely used in cold places, so no biggie.
Jun 13, 1:35 AM
May 2024
it was ok not so mindblowingly good
Jun 20, 5:11 PM

Jan 2017
The girl is cute I guess, otherwise there's nothing interesting about it.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Jun 30, 8:10 PM

Aug 2020
This was...pretty bad Id say? Like, the road trip parts were enjoyable and all for a side story in an episodic anime and the art and animation was nice...but the whole overarching plot is just complete baloney.

Heck, the protagonist is like almost a Gary Stu (?) Hes just like...SUPER convenient to Tsumugi throughout the whole plot because "well, he just cant say no" despite going through life or death situations and working his ass off for her. He was also shown to be imeek and has no friends or something as setup in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Idk what happened to that because he just becomes a different person when seeing Tsumugi for the first time and also literally solves all his problems off screen, at the end.

Like half way, the plot just got lost. We get multiple red herrings with like with the cafe art showcase showing the Snow Gods and Onis only for it to go nowhere because Tsumugi's mother being there was just a lie by the father. The mother is a sacrifice (or something because its so so vague on how the heck it works) to keep the Oni village hidden?
Why do they need to be hidden if people cant see the horns anyways?? I guess to avoid taxes or something. And like...at the end, the village is STILL hidden since Hiragi says he couldnt get in so.....huh? Christ, did they like....get a new sacrifice lol? Did they develop some new type of supernatural spell to hide themselves?? Why did Tsumugi's mother even need to be "sacrificed" then???

And like WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PEOPLE/ONI WHO GOT EATEN BY THE SNOW GODS? I guess they were just....dead?? And like why did the Snow Gods even start attacking the Onis in the first place? Cus the closest thing we got to an answer to that was that Tsumugi's mother "lost control" or something and the Snow Gods tried to fulfill her desire of not being alone by kidnapping to make another village in her shrine or something...but we DONT see any confirmation on what even happens to them.

HOLY hell, this plot....

Inexplicable said:
also, this moment at the end was weird:
- hey so I just realized my true feelings and I want to be with you
*2 minutes later*
- actually nvm I gotta go

That shit was hilarious. He kept running away from them and stopping to wave back like 3 times. Like he was an NPC or something 💀
Keep scrolling
Jul 1, 6:37 AM
May 2019
I loved watching this anime movie. It was lovely throughout and captivating.
Jul 1, 8:34 AM

Jun 2019
Underrated masterpiece!
Jul 1, 5:05 PM
Jun 2019
Good animation, weak story, too rushed and no explanation of nothing, oni world has no explanation of why her mom sacrifice herself and why god was eating oni
7/10, it's was okay
Jul 9, 3:48 PM

May 2012
Honestly the trailer made it look a whole lot more promosing than the actual movie, there was just something off with the pacing, especially near the end. While still a nice movie something just felt off which made it difficult for me to actually keep me entertained all the way to the credits.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one who got blurry quality whenever there is a snowfall?

RealNath - May 31

7 by Naveen6662246 »»
Jun 14, 3:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.