Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jan 2, 2011 7:25 PM

Well, adding a check for new episodes after a list refresh is quick and simple. Just need to add it to the code after a list refresh.

Doing it like that wouldn't be as taxing as a monitor to watch the folders themselves, but still checks them once in a while when the list automatically refreshes and when you manually refresh it.
Modified by Diablofan, Jan 2, 2011 9:20 PM

Jan 2, 2011 11:24 PM

the FileSystemWatcher class isn't polling or anything "taxing".... it lets windows do the monitoring for you and when it notices a file operation in that folder it notifies the program. So basically when edits are made on the folder, taiga would attempt recognition on the file path in the notice and adjust the local episodes accordingly. It sounds nice in theory.

Jan 8, 2011 7:52 AM

hm, I liked the idea of DLing episodes from only one sub group - or, mole likely, this feature is crucial for a torrent downloader.
Adding anime-specific filters seems to be too difficult, so why don't make "favorite group" a part of anime entry itself? there already are "synonyms" and "folder" entries in CAnime, which don't have any relation to MAL itself, so why don't keep one more there? There doesn't seem to be any problem with checking for this condition before setting torrent's DL flag.

User can set group manually in preferences or anime properties (the latter is probably better), when adding anime (if airing or not yet started), or when downloading first episode (cause user probably doesn't know whether some group will sub it or not beforehand).

Jan 11, 2011 1:18 AM

well, with the help of Great Copypaste Programming I added simple sub group filtering (thanks to the fact that sub group name was already parsed by Taiga) and, just my whim - an ability to set anime folder from context menu. Since I'd probably break options dialog, you can set the group from context menu only. If group isn't set, no additional filtering for that series is performed. Here and if you don't want "set folder" in context menu, just delete the corresponding element from theme.xml
removed patch link, it has a fatal flaw... fill fix in a short time

UPD: Another idea, don't know if it was suggested here.
Checking all root folders when performing global new episodes check seems to consume too many time (depending on root folders size and anime list size), but I think it's okay to search everywhere if user performs "play next episode" and episode isn't found in it's own folder (or doesn't have own folder yet). Of course, such eps won't be highlighted, but most probably if user clicks "play next" nevertheless he/she is pretty sure that he/she has that episode on HDD.
My implementation works... even though it isn't really an "implementation", just a single loop
Modified by slevir, Jan 11, 2011 11:56 PM

Jan 12, 2011 2:45 AM

I've already got your patch, but, umm... used less than half of it. Setting folders from context menu is pretty much unnecessary in my opinion, since "Open folder" automatically does that for you if there's no value set, and it's still possible to change it from settings dialog. But I kept (and fixed) the SetFolder() action in case you want to use it in your theme. I moved the fansub group entry to anime information dialog and moved filtering to CTorrents::Filter(), but I'm planning to rewrite some parts of that function as well (preferences doesn't seem to be working quite right).

As for your idea about folders and new episodes (and saka's idea of monitoring folders), that's something on top of my to-do list. I haven't touched the file&folder search code since the first public release and it's time I start doing some work there.

If you want to continue working on the code slevir, I can add you to the project page as a committer by the way.

Jan 12, 2011 5:34 AM

glad you was able to use even partially ^)
as for committing... well, as you see, I fail in many ways, and I make patches because I need this functionality xD so I guess I'll continue accidentally make patches for your review, for things to be done right. Well, if google code have some functionality like that (I never happened to use it), I won't mind - it probably will be more convenient this way

Jan 13, 2011 7:39 AM

slevir said:
glad you was able to use even partially ^)
as for committing... well, as you see, I fail in many ways, and I make patches because I need this functionality xD so I guess I'll continue accidentally make patches for your review, for things to be done right. Well, if google code have some functionality like that (I never happened to use it), I won't mind - it probably will be more convenient this way

Alright then, keep on providing new patches for now (:

saka said:
the FileSystemWatcher class isn't polling or anything "taxing".... it lets windows do the monitoring for you and when it notices a file operation in that folder it notifies the program. So basically when edits are made on the folder, taiga would attempt recognition on the file path in the notice and adjust the local episodes accordingly. It sounds nice in theory.

Taiga's not able to use FileSystemWatcher since it's not a .NET project, but I found this nifty API called ReadDirectoryChangesW that does the same job, reporting changes within a directory. I've started writing a class around it today, it still supports only one folder (with its sub directories) for now but I think I'll manage to make it so that it checks all root anime folders. It should be easy to connect it to the recognition engine after that, but it's going to need a lot of testing, since we'll be working with multiple threads from now on.

Jan 15, 2011 3:01 AM

Taiga doesn't seem to check for new torrents on start... I think it'd be nice if it could

Jan 15, 2011 2:06 PM

slevir said:
Taiga doesn't seem to check for new torrents on start... I think it'd be nice if it could
I kind of like that it doesn't check immediately. Since it starts with windows I often have lots of traffic right when the computer starts (other programs checking email, re-opening browser tabs, logging into networks, antivirus, etc) so the torrent check will likely fail anyway. I guess it's not a big deal either way but maybe a 1 minute delay would be better.

Jan 21, 2011 9:49 PM

There is a suggestion to make some button or command in torrent window to "discard" torrent (i.e. don't download it, but mark downloaded or somewhat else so taiga won't nag you anymore about it). I think it could be useful in some cases, esp if you don't use automatic DL feature

Jan 21, 2011 10:28 PM

slevir said:
There is a suggestion to make some button or command in torrent window to "discard" torrent (i.e. don't download it, but mark downloaded or somewhat else so taiga won't nag you anymore about it). I think it could be useful in some cases, esp if you don't use automatic DL feature
yeah, it was my first bullet point at the top of page 3 there... should be trivial to add a context menu entry to pretend we downloaded it already. I'm tired of downloading torrents I don't want to download just so it stops trying. It really drove me nuts when I first got taiga and hadn't trained my torrent filters yet.

Feb 6, 2011 7:51 PM

So, apparently MAL supports GZip compression now. While discussing it in #taiga we thought it would be a good idea to add GZip compression to Taiga for downloading the list.

While looking up GZip deflating for Win32, I found a win32 api... but it goes through WinInet so if you do plan to implement it, you'll need to switch from WinHttp to WinInet because Inet and Http don't like each other at all. =S

Feb 6, 2011 8:44 PM

yeah, gzipped or not is like night and day... my list xml without gzip is 790kb, and with gzip it's 68kb. Definitely worth it to make those downloads 10x faster. The gzip support on mal was added some time in the last few months (was ridiculous that it wasn't used eariler). I noticed while checking an http header recently that it had finally been enabled.

Feb 6, 2011 10:17 PM

Okay, it took me less than I expected - gzipped content encoding support is almost done. Decompressed data cuts off somewhere in the middle, I just need to fix that now. Edit: Done, it's in r57.
Modified by erengy, Feb 7, 2011 1:27 AM

Mar 13, 2011 12:29 AM

Now that I'm mostly done with the automatic updater, I'll be moving on to another big feature, the aggregator. I need to do some planning before jumping on to coding though. Here's what I though about it so far, wrapped up in a single sentence:

I want it to be able to gather both text (news, airing times) and links (torrent files, DDL) from multiple RSS sources this time, use an improved filtering process that can link individual filters to one or more anime titles, and finally take an action based on types and preferences, such as popping up a notification or downloading a file.

I may have to push some of the work to the UI update of v1.0, but I want to include the new aggregator itself in the next release, namely v0.8. So, if you have any suggestions in mind, be it a feature or a design idea, I'm all ears now!

Mar 17, 2011 3:01 AM

I overlooked the post with all the lag issues recently, but this all sounds interesting.

Torrents - I kind of roughed out my torrent filter ideas in an earlier post here, but I think you've already got a good plan and I'd rather not step into that too much. My only thoughts are keep it simple... Rather than linking one filter to a list of anime it's probably better to relate individual filters to individual anime -- it makes creating and cleaning up outdated filters much easier. Global filters should cover most things anyway... per-anime filters should be for weird cases or things like fansub group that vary impossibly.

If I were to implement it now I would probably keep just a global filter list in settings, and then have a Torrents tab in the anime info itself with a checkbox to override the global rules (add additional rules or disable the global ones for that series or something).

News - It would be easy enough to put news/rss search in context menus. I'm not sure exactly what kind of news sources you have in mind.... maybe you could use anime blogs to make series-dependent feeds? I'm not sure how useful such things would be.

Discussion - You didn't mention this but something that I've really been missing is a link to mal's episode discussion forums. I think that having a social mood is an important element to these services, and presenting people with ways to share what they just watched is important.

Perhaps there can be an option to display a discussion/review window on player close -- where you could link to mal's episode discussion and also whatever other information is relevant to the episode they just watched (eg - anime blog posts about the episode, airing date of the next episode, links to discuss on social sites like twitter/facebook, whatever you want). MAL has that discussion option already in the api which could store this setting (not sure about other services).

Airing schedules - I was already toying with airing schedules a bit trying out different sources fed into a temporary service on my localhost that parsed and presented it. MALU ended up using its own kind of proxy service to match the anime ids perfectly, but I think airing schedules should be fairly simple to scrape directly, from animecalendar.net or mahou.org... though neither seems to have a great standardized feed so it requires parsing xhtml directly in taiga and jumping through hoops to get the right information. Mahou.org is probably the best xhtml source... The iCal feed on animecalendar.net seems to be a good option too, although it doesn't have the station names (only time, title, episode number).

Airing schedules are really useful and would work fine in a list window like torrents. For a challenge it might be cool to see some communication between airing schedules and the torrent window to flag series that have new episodes as subs become available. Not sure how well it would work, with rss limits and such, but for recent airing series I think it could be useful to have some kind of mashup of the two.

You said you wanted ideas so I'm trying to throw some ambitious ones out there even if they're probably not within the "palmtop" philosophy of taiga. I'm not even sure I'd want all these (questionably practical) features myself but they're something to think about anyway.

Mar 17, 2011 4:10 AM

some of these ideas are by DarkElve, who isn't really good with English but interested in taiga development

Torrents - Well, it's just my opinion, but current filter system is somewhat... not intuitive. Modes (include/exclude/prefer) are ok, but they don't have priorities, can't be used together, and therefore the whole system is not really flexible. I think, GUI-wise we could use something like "Download/don't_DL/prefer/don't_show torrents from All_lists/watching/PTW/onhold/dropped/completed where anime/group/quality/ep is/isn't/more_than/less_than/contains something and/or (another set of conditions). Isn't really difficult to understand neither to code (well, dunno about gui coding of such a thing), but gives much more flexibility.
For ppl who like to do everything themselves ability to hide/discard individual or all currently shown torrents could be useful.

Interface - while using theme.xml isn't really documented, I think it could use some additional functions. For example, different row background for different airing status. Some easy access for currently watching ep - without having to search for it in the list (for example, from status bar or taiga tray icon)
Also, just thought, but it could be nice to have some kind of "saved searches" which are tabs that show filtered by some keyword(s) animelist, probably - related news, air tables, etc
Modified by slevir, Mar 19, 2011 12:01 AM

Apr 6, 2011 2:00 PM

Mass-Tagging would be totally rad.
Like selecting multiple shows -> right-click -> mass-tag and than be able to, for example, add tag xyz to all the selected shows.

To get a better idea of this, here is what rateyourmusic does with mass-tagging:

Some maybe something like:

Apr 19, 2011 11:27 AM

I've been thinking that if we want to optimize recognition then the most obvious performance boost would be a hash table to make title searching faster... would you want to entertain the idea of a lookup table?

I was thinking that each time an entry was added to the list, we could also add it to an unordered_map or unordered_multimap with its key equal to the cleaned title string. Synonyms and alternate titles would all be added too pointing to the same CAnime&.

The title comparison logic in recognition would become easier and much faster, since instead of comparing all the titles and synonyms and alternate titles.... you can just do AnimeList.Find("Bleach") or something that finds the anime with lookuptable.find("Bleach") in O(1) average time.

It would use considerably more memory, since there might be a large hash table. Also, individual edits would be slower and possibly complicated (since you have to go through the lookup table to remove dead titles in addition to removing them from the array), but for edits you're only working with one item at a time so the impact should be small. All the duplicate logic introduced can be abstracted in CAnimeList so the code would not be too confusing either. There might be a noticable slowdown on list refresh because of all the adds to both the existing array and the lookup table, but perhaps I can generate the lookup table after the list is displayed so there is no noticeable delay.

The reward is a (probably huge) recognition benefit for larger lists. Edits would become O(n) but lookups by title would become O(1) average... well O(titlelength).

I think I can implement this and send a patch, but I wanted to run it by you first before investing a lot of time into it or stepping all over code you're already working on. Thoughts?
Modified by saka, Apr 19, 2011 11:32 AM

Apr 20, 2011 12:41 PM

I'm not against using a reasonable amount of additional memory as long as there's a good reason behind it. Your idea, in theory, would certainly provide a better user experience, so why not. That being said, I have doubts that coding a lookup table for faster recognition would worth the amount of effort and time you'll invest in it.

First of all, examining a file name and comparing the result with all anime list items is currently done in three occasions:

• When a media player is first detected or an already-running player's title has changed
  • A search for torrents has been made and a response has been received
  • Folder monitor is running and has detected a change in anime folders

The amount of time this process takes is almost trivial. It takes around 5.75 milliseconds for my list (408 items) and 12.65 milliseconds for yours (931 items), and that's only if no match is found along the way. Surely there are usually 40+ items to examine and compare in RSS results, but that's still less than half a second and doesn't affect the user experience at all.

Where things get nasty is when we search for a specific episode of an anime title on our hard disk. Even though we compare the file names only with a single title on our list, we're dealing with thousands of files. In this case whether we have a large list or not doesn't make a difference, which kind of nullifies the reward you proposed. Another concern is that CRecognition::ExamineTitle is at least 5 times slower than CRecognition::CompareEpisode. If I understood you correctly, the optimization brought about by a lookup table only covers CRecognition::CompareEpisode.
  •  
    Apr 20, 2011 3:19 PM

Yeah, I understand that most of the time is spent in ExamineTitle and not CompareEpisode, but I didn't realize the latter was so fast already. I think conservatively it only needs to compare about 4 characters average of the title string before it finds something unique in your list. So it's 4 comparisons in a hash table... compared to N*4 comparisons with the current array for a list of size N. It's N times faster, but turning my 12ms into 1ms is impractical except perhaps for those huge-list users.

It might be a good idea to cache the available episodes in a separate structure somehow, so they don't get cleared on refresh. Taiga misplaces that info and goes out to disk more than it should. I have a couple external drives and Taiga has to wait for them to spin up most of the time.
    Modified by saka, Apr 20, 2011 3:30 PM

May 1, 2011 9:36 AM

One can select and copy the Synopsis in the Anime Information window, but nothing else.
    At least let me copy the name (without having to click the picture and copy it from MAL itself). :>

May 9, 2011 8:28 PM

I know an installer is planned, but we might want to at least switch to *.zip in the meantime instead of *.rar. I had a user ask about taiga and had to tell him to grab 7-zip.

I tried and failed to find a presentable way to implement Mathes' copyable titles and alts. Disabled "edit" controls just didn't behave desirably and they don't have a way to do "..." on long titles. We could perhaps just make a context menu on right click for these fields. I've also been inconvenienced by having to open the site to copy back to an alternative title, so it seems like there should be a more intuitive way to manage it.

May 21, 2011 11:17 PM

It could be useful to send the http request with a unique user agent including the version/revision number, so scripts can make a difference between two versions and maybe some changes in behavior. Not like it's so much needed, just a tought. :)

May 21, 2011 11:53 PM

maLakai said:
    It could be useful to send the http request with a unique user agent including the version/revision number
    Well, you can already make your own changes to the format string so users could just do "...&client=Taiga0.7". I guess the http header could be a little less vague than "Mozilla/5.0" if only for the sake of website statistics.

May 22, 2011 4:34 AM

How many users would write into their query the version number? And how you ask for that if something is broken with older/newer version and between a script?
    Assuming ofcourse some script which is not just self use. :)

As I said it is not the case right now, so not so urgent, but I think an automated way would be better. :)

May 22, 2011 9:03 AM

The sole reason I left the user agent as "Mozilla/5.0" was that even IE was somehow identifying itself as a Mozilla browser, and I didn't want to cause any problem by setting it to something else. I can change it to "Taiga/0.x" if it's not going to affect how servers will be treating Taiga, though I lack knowledge on that matter.

May 22, 2011 9:29 AM

Browsers tend to identify themselves as Mozilla/4.0 or 5.0 to imply that they are compatible with that version of the Mozilla rendering engine... Taiga is not a browser and therefore doesn't really apply. The UA is actually pretty arbitrary but the standards say they should include the program name and version somewhere. It should not be treated differently by hosts, unless they specifically decide not to allow Taiga (like if Crave decided not to allow Taiga at some point it would make blocking all of Taiga's traffic easy, but that is their prerogative). I don't think it's a big deal honestly, and MALU doesn't send a descriptive UA either for what it's worth.

May 23, 2011 11:41 AM

If mal would block the UA then ofcourse its a problem, but I didn't see anything like that at mal and I guess there is a lot (updater apps, scripted signatures). I mean they didn't seem to take actions against web scraping. If they would then they should improve and fix problems with the api first.

Jul 8, 2011 2:58 PM

So I just got a chance to preview the new torrent filter changes on svn. I have a much better idea on where you're going with it now, but I wanted to share some concerns and ideas before they are completed:

• Series-specific filters can be created now, but they will accumulate and clutter the settings window. We expect that users will add a filter or even two for many series in the list, to restrict to a certain subber or resolution keyword.... but filters for titles that have been long completed or even removed from the list will remain forever. Series-specific filters really should be tied to the CAnime class in some way, and be easily added without copying the title between windows (perhaps a tab in the anime info window, and a context menu in feed window... to add new filters or manage a single filter for that series).
    • There is no longer a way to achieve the Preference option to allow fallback. For example if the user wants 720p but 480p when that is not available, they are out of luck. It is common for only a 480p source to be available for certain series, and many single-series filters would need to be created for the same effect.
    • Simple keyword matches should be restored, since matching for group and resolution keywords is sometimes inaccurate and the user is not aware of which keywords actually get matched in resources.rc
    • The new filters may be overkill, if only because relatively simple filters are now much more difficult to create. Perhaps after the main work is done we can hide more specific rules in an Advanced tab and bring back some of the simplicity of the previous system.

I know the new filters are still far from complete, but those are my thoughts so far on the overall gui changes. I actually liked the previous system a lot more, but it had no way to handle series-specific filters like fansub group and keyword discards for single titles, which is why fansub group ended up getting kind of hacked into the anime info window. It's series-specific filters that have always been the pain, not really the global ones.

Jul 8, 2011 4:21 PM

Mathes said:
    One can select and copy the Synopsis in the Anime Information window, but nothing else.
    At least let me copy the name (without having to click the picture and copy it from MAL itself). :>

Done...

maLakai said:
    It could be useful to send the http request with a unique user agent including the version/revision number, so scripts can make a difference between two versions and maybe some changes in behavior. Not like it's so much needed, just a tought. :)

...and done!

saka said:
    So I just got a chance to preview the new torrent filter changes on svn. I have a much better idea on where you're going with it now, but I wanted to share some concerns and ideas before they are completed.

I share your concerns on the latest changes. And thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind.

I think the problem is not that the new filtering system is much more complex than the previous one, but that my crude attempt to provide a new GUI reflects the system as it is, which is why it falls far from being user friendly. Well, we could almost keep the previous GUI for the new system, save the preferences, and the user wouldn't even notice. Though I don't think that would be a good idea.

There's still a lot to be done on that part, but frankly I'm planning to leave the big changes for another release, otherwise v0.8 is going to be postponed, again.

saka said:
    Simple keyword matches should be restored, since matching for group and resolution keywords is sometimes inaccurate and the user is not aware of which keywords actually get matched in resources.rc

I felt the need to elaborate on this one. Simple keyword matches are still possible, you just need to build a condition such as "Title contains '720p'" ("Title" is what Taiga parses on CRecognition::ExamineTitle to search for keywords). Nevertheless, not user friendly.

Jul 8, 2011 5:24 PM

Ah okay. I wasn't sure it was the anime title or the filename title... but it did imply the former. ;D

I figured you were already thinking of a lot of those things, but the elimination of the fansub hack in the recent build kind of suggested to me that you planned to separate them completely, and I don't think there is any way to do that intuitively.

The changes do look good as a whole, but obviously filters are bare-bones atm. If you want to release a public build in the meantime that doesn't have the feed changes, I do have a copy based on r85 that lacks them but has the other changes through r91 -- or perhaps make a fork to use temporarily.

Jul 10, 2011 12:15 AM

A little request to add %rewatching% variable to script parser.

Jul 16, 2011 12:09 PM

Not to trivialize what's already been done, but I have an alternative idea for how to handle the torrent filters. As I mentioned before, I feel like the filters are a bit too complicated for the average user making short simple filters, so what I'd like to do is return the old Preference/Require/Exclude filters, and add the option to use a scripting string for advanced filters. This way the simplicity of the old system is preserved, but the power of just about any filter becomes possible without clicking through too many dialogs.

Just to illustrate, suppose I wanted to discard episodes that have already been watched..... I can do something like:
    - Exclude
    $lequal(%episode%,%watched%)

This would utilize the existing scripting engine (though some expansion would be needed to interface it with feeds) and greatly simplify the process in my opinion. With some functions for boolean logic I think it would work well.

Suppose I wanted to add a preference for a certain fansub group's high quality releases:
    -Preference
    $and($equal(%group%,UTW),$contains(%resolution%,720p))

edit: I do see from the forms in the resource file that the basic/advanced tabs are planned. I think that just scripting is easier personally, but I can see how users might like to have the interface. There must be a good way to integrate all three... hmm
    Modified by saka, Jul 16, 2011 1:03 PM

Jul 16, 2011 12:17 PM

Thanks for the variable ^)

A bit more suggestions, first - some visual representation of "discard torrent button", as of now you can't be sure whether it worked or not... maybe, to gray those out? Unchecking the torrent doesn't seem quite appropriate IMHO
    Second, a little more intelligent comparison in filters - for example, compare resolution as numbers (and if resolution is found as width x height format, take height only and then compare). Maybe every field should have some kind of instructions (functions) on how to compare it.

Regarding new filters interface - well, power comes with complexity, so I think it's alright

Jul 16, 2011 2:00 PM

@saka:
    No worries. If we were to ditch more work for the sake of our previous ones, Taiga would never happen. Well, screw Taiga. Civilization wouldn't happen! :D

Using script functions instead of conditions is something that has occurred to me before, but is only utilized by supporting script variables within condition values in the end. Being able to use an expression such as "a AND (b OR c)" would certainly lead up to more possibilities for advanced users. But that's the only advantage it brings about (that I can think of). On the other hand, it puts the advanced mode on an even more advanced position, causing us to lose any visual clarification for filter conditions as well. Not to mention that typing a function is not really easier than clicking through some dialogs.

Actually, my plan for tomorrow was to:
    -Get rid of our current Basic tab
    -Split the Advanced tab into three parts
    -Provide more useful presets

Guiding the user through the process with wizard-like pages could also be a good idea, I think. We just need to make it understandable, and if possible, less time-consuming. As for fully integrating script functions into filters and possibly some other places, I guess we can do it in another release, after adding support for regex and stuff.

@slevir:
    Gray is only used for items that are not on your list; where items that are filtered out, discarded or already downloaded have their ticks cleared. I guess we could use different visual representations for each one, but I'll leave that for another major release for now.

Resolution values are compared as plain strings at the moment, but I'll definitely be adding a special comparator for it so that 1280x720 is considered to be greater than 480p, etc.

Jul 16, 2011 2:14 PM

erengy said:
    @slevir:
    Gray is only used for items that are not on your list; where items that are filtered out, discarded or already downloaded have their ticks cleared. I guess we could use different visual representations for each one, but I'll leave that for another major release for now.
    lol I said the same thing in irc, but I can understand it being used as a "we won't do anything with this torrent" indicator as well. It would become black but unchecked on the next torrent refresh though... so I'm not sure I like that either.

edit: to clarify... I think it's really fine how it is, but giving some sort of visual feedback probably is a good idea.
    Modified by saka, Jul 16, 2011 5:10 PM

Jul 27, 2011 5:25 PM

Alright, I'm not going to ask of these for 0.8 since it's almost ready, these can be held off until 0.8 is released, but I have a few requests.

Manga List - I think since Taiga is nearly at 1.0 (two major revisions before then by the looks of it), I'd like to request that Taiga be able to handle Magna as well. Since Taiga's anime support is pretty good right now, I think we should start working on implementing Manga support, as that's something I'm sure everyone would like to see. I'm not sure how it would be handled on the GUI, along side the animelist, though to be honest. The Manga list feature is actually one of my most missed features from when I switched from MAL Updater to Taiga, but I didn't miss it that much since the Manga list feature in MAL Updater was broken in it.

Offline Support Improvement - Taiga could improve it's offline support in my opinion, after reading/taking part in a conversation in #myanimelist today, this guy was looking for something that would basically browse the anime database offline. While something like that would be a hassle to download, storing the data pulled from the API about the information of an anime (titles, scores, genres, synopsis, etc) wouldn't be, and would save on load time for Anime information because it would have a local copy, plus if the MAL API ever implements a API Call limit (which I highly doubt it ever will) then it won't have to make as many API calls for anime information. What I was thinking was that whenever an anime info dialogue was opened, it would get the data if it didn't exist in the xml file it was stored in on the system, and then write it to the disk after it got downloaded, that way the next time it's opened it would open faster since the data would be available already on the system.

Finally, Saka's suggestion from the previous page:
    Airing schedules - I was already toying with airing schedules a bit trying out different sources fed into a temporary service on my localhost that parsed and presented it. MALU ended up using its own kind of proxy service to match the anime ids perfectly, but I think airing schedules should be fairly simple to scrape directly, from animecalendar.net or mahou.org... though neither seems to have a great standardized feed so it requires parsing xhtml directly in taiga and jumping through hoops to get the right information. Mahou.org is probably the best xhtml source... The iCal feed on animecalendar.net seems to be a good option too, although it doesn't have the station names (only time, title, episode number).

Jul 27, 2011 7:40 PM

btw, I do occasionally find errors in animecalendar's feeds.... for example picking stations which air later because they didn't notice an earlier airing block. I have been poking around various japanese guides but translating titles is difficult as well. I toyed with scraping wikipedia searches lol...... anyhow animecalendar.net or mahou.org are probably fine.

Aug 27, 2011 3:31 AM

Since the recognition has some issues, have it where when you select an anime it can't detect, it updates that selected show. Instead of it only adding it to your list.

Take for example Mayo_Chiki! I've noticed that if "!" isn't present in the file name, Taiga won't recognize it. You can try adding it to your list but it's already there. In order for Taiga to recognize it and update automatically, you have to: close the video, rename the file and reopen it. Why not have it where you can tell Taiga "This show is this, so update that" without the need to rename anything?

You could even have it remember that "Mayo_Chiki" is "Mayo_Chiki!" so it has no problems with future detections of that file name. That way users can improve its recognition efficiency without the need for you to constantly patch it.
    Modified by LunarEmerald, Aug 27, 2011 3:43 AM

Aug 27, 2011 7:24 AM

You don't need to rename your files, actually. Just open up the anime information dialog by double clicking on Mayo Chiki! on your list, and set an alternative title for it, Mayo Chiki in this case. As soon as you do that, video files with that name will be recognized even without the need of re-opening your media player.

I think this is exactly the same feature you're describing, though apparently there is a need to guide the user to this feature on failed recognitions.

Sep 12, 2011 6:06 AM

I don't remember if I requested it already, so I request it again: combined anime search.
    The idea is simple - when you type title in the search bar, it will filter the list just as list search does. If you hit enter, it will open search window and look on MAL just as MAL search does.

Minus - isn't obvious, you need to know what exactly does this setting do.
    Plus - convenience! If you already have that title in your list, you don't need to bring extra window about, and if you don't have it, you don't have to grab your mouse to switch search modes (and switch them back later). Patch is actually very simple, one line in xml and several in GUI code, I'm just too lazy to look through your little refactoring in gui code to put it back ^)

Or at least let me hear why this idea is bad

Sep 17, 2011 10:06 PM

That seems like a good idea to me. I'll try working on it today. (Edit: Done.)
    Modified by erengy, Sep 18, 2011 1:48 AM

Sep 19, 2011 4:36 PM

eheh, great realisation, thanks

Oct 22, 2011 12:59 AM

Think we can get an option to remove updates from the update queue without clearing the enture queue?

Oct 25, 2011 3:00 AM
    First of all I want to say Thank you for this program because it's easier to use then MAL Updater.

A Feature that really kept me thinking was the Torrent download thing. As far as i know you get check the RSS feeds and parse them. So i thought you could easily implement something that the user can add his own RSS feeds of fansub groups and then the results will be filtered.

Tell me what you think about that.

Greetz
    D4r4ku

Oct 26, 2011 12:24 PM

Got a few ideas, mainly small improvements and little innovations. Maybe not top of the priority list stuff but worth considering I would say (:

What I'd like to see in v2.0(+):

- A UI element that reflects the time left till the episode is updated (and possibly also reflect it in the taskbar eg: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/Win7NewFeatures/ProgressBar3.png). The UI element could replace the anime title's progress bar and fill/empty according to the set delay time to update.

- For Taiga to remember it's position and size

- An option to make Taiga partially transparent (like whilst dragging) when not in focus. A secondary checkbox could state "Only when anime is playing". I have dual monitors and often like to keep Taiga up but the whiteness can be distracting.

- The "Tools" menu entry perhaps moved to the menu bar and to let you add shortcuts to favourite websites and installed software.

- To lighten the colours of the anime title progress bars. The black text on especially the blue isn't striking enough. The contrast could be better equalling clearer text. For example, the progress bars have a glossy look to them; choosing a colour between the lightest (top) and the darkest (bottom) and then giving a gradient to it using a slightly darker colour would suffice from my perspective. I just realised the progress bar likely isn't an image, but generated though windows. Maybe this would be harder to improve.

- To write the start and finish date to MAL if editing locally. I can't get it to stick unless I update it through MAL's website and then refresh. Maybe an option to force replacing MAL's data with local data instead of always syncing to the website would help. This may just be a bug with specifically the dates I'm not sure.

- Middle-click in the Season Browser to open the Anime's information inside Taiga. Alternatively: The Season Browser to follow Settings > Program > Lists > Actions if "View anime info" is set. I believe middle-click is defaulted to it. Add "View on MAL" or something to it's effect for the context menu under "Information". If double-click is set to "View anime info" then someone can always right-click and "View on MAL".

- For Taiga not to trigger the audio file when checking for updates in the background (The one that plays when you manually check for an update). At least I think it's doing that, it may be another software. Random confirmation/error sounds with little idea where they are coming from are annoying >,<

I'm out of ideas. There's some extra food for thought mhmnyes (: You probably had enough already :P

Thanks for a great bit of FOSS!

Oct 27, 2011 10:49 AM

Orkhayiq said:
    Got a few ideas, mainly small improvements and little innovations. Maybe not top of the priority list stuff but worth considering I would say (:

What I'd like to see in v2.0(+):

- A UI element that reflects the time left till the episode is updated (and possibly also reflect it in the taskbar eg: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/Win7NewFeatures/ProgressBar3.png). The UI element could replace the anime title's progress bar and fill/empty according to the set delay time to update.

- For Taiga to remember it's position and size

- An option to make Taiga partially transparent (like whilst dragging) when not in focus. A secondary checkbox could state "Only when anime is playing". I have dual monitors and often like to keep Taiga up but the whiteness can be distracting.

- The "Tools" menu entry perhaps moved to the menu bar and to let you add shortcuts to favourite websites and installed software.

- To lighten the colours of the anime title progress bars. The black text on especially the blue isn't striking enough. The contrast could be better equalling clearer text. For example, the progress bars have a glossy look to them; choosing a colour between the lightest (top) and the darkest (bottom) and then giving a gradient to it using a slightly darker colour would suffice from my perspective. I just realised the progress bar likely isn't an image, but generated though windows. Maybe this would be harder to improve.

- To write the start and finish date to MAL if editing locally. I can't get it to stick unless I update it through MAL's website and then refresh. Maybe an option to force replacing MAL's data with local data instead of always syncing to the website would help. This may just be a bug with specifically the dates I'm not sure.

- Middle-click in the Season Browser to open the Anime's information inside Taiga. Alternatively: The Season Browser to follow Settings > Program > Lists > Actions if "View anime info" is set. I believe middle-click is defaulted to it. Add "View on MAL" or something to it's effect for the context menu under "Information". If double-click is set to "View anime info" then someone can always right-click and "View on MAL".

- For Taiga not to trigger the audio file when checking for updates in the background (The one that plays when you manually check for an update). At least I think it's doing that, it may be another software. Random confirmation/error sounds with little idea where they are coming from are annoying >,<

I'm out of ideas. There's some extra food for thought mhmnyes (: You probably had enough already :P

Thanks for a great bit of FOSS!

that bolded part acutally is already available in Taiga. Just close out of taiga, open the file called Theme.xml in the TaigaDirectoryDataThemesDefault and edit the hex values around in the progress node's children. Reload Taiga and view the changes. Except for the graident... that isn't there. However, you can change the colors of the progress bars to make them more pleasing...

As for those other options, those sound like alright ideas.

Nov 8, 2011 10:39 PM

One of the features I really grew fond of using MALU was the shortcut to the episode discussion thread from the 'Now Watching' popup. Don't need the popup at all but a way to the discussion thread would be rather awesome.

Oh and, for the %total% variable. If the total is unknown then it will print nothing. Could it be changed into a '?' or something?
    Modified by Yanoflies, Nov 9, 2011 12:00 AM

hi

Nov 9, 2011 1:57 AM

D4r4ku said:
    A Feature that really kept me thinking was the Torrent download thing. As far as i know you get check the RSS feeds and parse them. So i thought you could easily implement something that the user can add his own RSS feeds of fansub groups and then the results will be filtered.

You can already change the RSS source from Settings → Torrent dialog to anything you like. Or did you mean being able to use multiple feeds?

Orkhayiq said:
    {huge list of ideas}

Thanks for the suggestions Orkhayiq. Some of the features you proposed are already in the code base but not enabled yet, and some of them have been on my to-do list for a while now. They're going to be finished, eventually. Within a few months, hopefully (:

Yanoflies said:
    One of the features I really grew fond of using MALU was the shortcut to the episode discussion thread from the 'Now Watching' popup. Don't need the popup at all but a way to the discussion thread would be rather awesome.

Not sure how it works, but I'll look into that.

Yanoflies said:
    Oh and, for the %total% variable. If the total is unknown then it will print nothing. Could it be changed into a '?' or something?

You can use "$if(%total%,%total%,?)" instead of "%total%", which will print a question mark if total episodes in unknown. This is already the case for almost all the default format strings.
    Modified by erengy, Nov 9, 2011 2:08 AM

Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »