Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jul 30, 2013 3:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Is It Possible for Taiga to recognise every browser based on chromium and not just Google Chrome?

Because there are more for example iron, RockMelt or Chromium itself

Oh and a cool feature (at least for me) would be if you could tell Taiga to use BD Folders instead of the normal TV ones
not sure if this was added or suggested before :<

Greets :)
Modified by BrainShit, Jul 30, 2013 3:16 AM
 
Aug 3, 2013 7:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
y1dp33 said:
Is It Possible for Taiga to recognise every browser based on chromium and not just Google Chrome?

I just tried it with Yandex Browser, which is another web browser based on Chromium, and it worked. So, it's possible. I'm not sure if it makes sense to add them to Taiga, though.

y1dp33 said:
Oh and a cool feature (at least for me) would be if you could tell Taiga to use BD Folders instead of the normal TV ones

Um, what's a BD Folder? Do you mean a Blu-ray Disc? If that's it, I don't think it's possible to read title and episode information from them.
 
Aug 3, 2013 8:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 83
erengy said:
y1dp33 said:
Oh and a cool feature (at least for me) would be if you could tell Taiga to use BD Folders instead of the normal TV ones

Um, what's a BD Folder? Do you mean a Blu-ray Disc? If that's it, I don't think it's possible to read title and episode information from them.

I think what he means is that if there are two folders for an anime, a TV (ex: [Commie] Ixion Saga DT) and BD (ex: [Coalgirls] Ixion Saga DT (1280x720 Blu-Ray Flac)), pick the BD Directory.


 
Aug 19, 2013 4:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Maybe make the external links use your username in them, so you go straight to your malgraphs page when you press them, rather than the homepage.

Also perhaps a legend on what different colours means for the icons/progress bars as well, even if just in the help menu.
 
Aug 20, 2013 6:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
hogofwar said:
Maybe make the external links use your username in them, so you go straight to your malgraphs page when you press them, rather than the homepage.

It's possible to modify the external links from Settings → Application → Interface, so you can just append your username to MALgraph's URL if you like.

hogofwar said:
Also perhaps a legend on what different colours means for the icons/progress bars as well, even if just in the help menu.

I'm going to do that eventually, but here's the gist of it: Green, blue, red and gray squares represent the airing status of the series; they are for airing, finished airing, not yet aired and unknown, respectively. On progress bars, dark gray shows episodes available on your disk, light gray shows aired episodes.
 
Aug 20, 2013 8:58 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Would like to see a feature where it doesn't show up in the task bar at all even when opened, only in the tray, no idea if it is possible, but could be neat to have.

The score part of the list could be improved to be a dropdown box rather than having to rightclick it.

The + - on the progress bar could be helpful to appear when you are hovering over it, rather when it is selected.

Stripping certain special characters (such as punctuation), could help when scanning for files, maybe an option to do it automatically?

A inbuilt colour picker for the progress bar would be good too, overwriting the current theme.
Modified by hogofwar, Aug 22, 2013 4:45 PM
 
Aug 23, 2013 6:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
hogofwar said:
The score part of the list could be improved to be a dropdown box rather than having to rightclick it.

Isn't it easier to right-click? A dropdown box would require three clicks, whereas the popup menu that appears when you right-click on the score column requires only two.

hogofwar said:
Stripping certain special characters (such as punctuation), could help when scanning for files, maybe an option to do it automatically?

This is already the case. When Taiga compares anime titles with file names, it compares "RoKyuBuSS" instead of "Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS", for example. The only exception is some punctuation marks at the end of a title, so that Taiga is able to differentiate between titles such as "Gintama" and "Gintama'".
 
Aug 23, 2013 6:44 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
erengy said:
hogofwar said:
The score part of the list could be improved to be a dropdown box rather than having to rightclick it.

Isn't it easier to right-click? A dropdown box would require three clicks, whereas the popup menu that appears when you right-click on the score column requires only two.

hogofwar said:
Stripping certain special characters (such as punctuation), could help when scanning for files, maybe an option to do it automatically?

This is already the case. When Taiga compares anime titles with file names, it compares "RoKyuBuSS" instead of "Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS", for example. The only exception is some punctuation marks at the end of a title, so that Taiga is able to differentiate between titles such as "Gintama" and "Gintama'".


Ah, that explains it then, I was having trouble with Toradora! being recognised.

Also, I don't get what you mean with dropdown boxes being 3 clicks? If the dropdown box is always there there would be one click to open it and another to select the score. It would certainly be more obvious than the current method.
 
Aug 23, 2013 8:12 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
The one thing that's stopping me from switching to Taiga from MAL Updater is the lack of automatic file renaming. If you could get around to implementing that then I would switch over in a heartbeat.
 
Aug 23, 2013 8:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
hogofwar said:
If the dropdown box is always there there would be one click to open it and another to select the score. It would certainly be more obvious than the current method.

I was thinking of making the dropdown box only visible when a list item is selected, like how the progress buttons work. If dropdown boxes were always there, that would 1) make the list look ugly, and 2) cause performance issues. One solution I can think of is to draw the boxes myself instead of creating regular Windows controls. Something like this, maybe: http://i.imgur.com/DAYpnG0.png

Hruhf said:
The one thing that's stopping me from switching to Taiga from MAL Updater is the lack of automatic file renaming. If you could get around to implementing that then I would switch over in a heartbeat.

While it is not among the features I currently prioritize, file renaming has been on my to-do list for a while. Could you tell me how you intend to use it, for future reference? Which files do you usually rename, and into which format?
 
Aug 23, 2013 9:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
erengy said:
hogofwar said:
If the dropdown box is always there there would be one click to open it and another to select the score. It would certainly be more obvious than the current method.

I was thinking of making the dropdown box only visible when a list item is selected, like how the progress buttons work. If dropdown boxes were always there, that would 1) make the list look ugly, and 2) cause performance issues. One solution I can think of is to draw the boxes myself instead of creating regular Windows controls. Something like this, maybe: http://i.imgur.com/DAYpnG0.png

Hruhf said:
The one thing that's stopping me from switching to Taiga from MAL Updater is the lack of automatic file renaming. If you could get around to implementing that then I would switch over in a heartbeat.

While it is not among the features I currently prioritize, file renaming has been on my to-do list for a while. Could you tell me how you intend to use it, for future reference? Which files do you usually rename, and into which format?


Or it could be there when you hover over the item, not just selecting the item. Which I think should be done for the episode increase/decrease buttons as well.

Another unrelated thing, how about including the synopsis and the cover art on the confirmation dialog for playing a random episode? The random episode thing could also have an option to only play unwatched episodes as well.
Modified by hogofwar, Aug 23, 2013 10:04 AM
 
Aug 23, 2013 10:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
erengy said:
Hruhf said:
The one thing that's stopping me from switching to Taiga from MAL Updater is the lack of automatic file renaming. If you could get around to implementing that then I would switch over in a heartbeat.

While it is not among the features I currently prioritize, file renaming has been on my to-do list for a while. Could you tell me how you intend to use it, for future reference? Which files do you usually rename, and into which format?


I normally get MalU to rename episodes after I've watched them (e.g. after I close the player/episode and it had recognized the episode/anime) into the format of "animename - episodenumber" to keep my folders "neat".

For example:
"[UTW]_Danganronpa_The_Animation_-_08_[h264-720p][E5C9615C].mkv"
would be renamed to
"Danganronpa Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation - 08.mkv"
 
Aug 23, 2013 10:34 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
If there will be a rename function, I do request a batch rename/organise functionality. To batch move every anime I have (which is spread everywhere in my downloads folder), into their seperate folders in an anime folder by itself.
 
Aug 25, 2013 3:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 56
I'd suggest showing some kind of informational window during initial file scan (if enabled). Now it could take quite a while, and the whole time Taiga will appear hanged, which isn't really good. As a bonus, it wouldn't hurt to have "cancel the scan" button, or at least some way to disable initial scanning and restart - just in case someone managed to make it veeeeeeery long.
 
Sep 8, 2013 4:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
I noticed that Taiga was open source so I opened her up and implemented the file renaming myself.
I did some experimentation into how MALU does the renaming and found it was a pretty poor method but it worked fairly well so I replicated it in Taiga.
I think I accidentally made it move the file into the right folder too, but not sure about that one.

I've never programmed in C++ before so it took a while to understand what was going on and my code is absolutely horrible. But if you want I can send it to you, I'm not familiar with SVN though.
 
Sep 8, 2013 7:58 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4070
Hruhf: Any contributions you make, however accidental, would be gladly appreciated. :3

Can you generate a patch file?
 
Sep 8, 2013 10:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
saka said:
Hruhf: Any contributions you make, however accidental, would be gladly appreciated. :3

Can you generate a patch file?

Is this is what you wanted?

A few things I should mention about my implementation though:

  • It's literally a segment of code copy pasted so you might want to make it into a function in the proper class and call it twice instead.
  • There are a lot of debug outputs you might want to clean up.
  • There are no settings for it, so you can't disable it and it only works for my particular filename preference.
  • There is no prompt/notification to the user other than the debug outputs.
  • It may not work if there's more than one root directory (I haven't tested this but it probably won't work)
  • It doesn't work if there are two episodes with the same filename (I tested this with MALU and found that it also failed in this situation)


If there's anything else I can do I'll be glad to help.
 
Sep 9, 2013 12:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
Hi there Hruhf,

To be frank, it's a very crude implementation of the feature. It could, at the very least, be wrapped up inside a function, as you mentioned. A couple of other things to consider:

- CurrentEpisode has file and folder variables, but they are not reliable. By making sure they are always available through other means, we could get rid of the first block.
- There's already a ValidateFileName() function available in Taiga, so that takes care of the second block.
- We could make use of our scripting engine to build the new file name through a user setting.
- The third block has to do some checks. Better separate that from our function.

I haven't actually tested it but here's an example:


Then we could call the function where necessary, with a constant format string or a user setting:


As Taiga is now very close to release and this feature requires a lot of testing, I won't be including it in version 1.0, but I'll be saving it for later. In the meantime, you could try improving the code or writing the logic in pseudo-code.

Thanks for taking your time to work on Taiga! Seeing other people working on it makes me happy :)
Modified by erengy, Sep 9, 2013 12:11 AM
 
Sep 9, 2013 2:23 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
erengy said:
Hi there Hruhf,

To be frank, it's a very crude implementation of the feature. It could, at the very least, be wrapped up inside a function, as you mentioned.


I agree, when I initially wrote that it was intended as a functional placeholder for a later rewrite.
Ontop of that this is my first attempt at C++ so a lot of this still confuses me.
Although offloading most of the work onto you is a low move so I'll at least clean my mess.

erengy said:
A couple of other things to consider:

- CurrentEpisode has file and folder variables, but they are not reliable. By making sure they are always available through other means, we could get rid of the first block.
- There's already a ValidateFileName() function available in Taiga, so that takes care of the second block.
- We could make use of our scripting engine to build the new file name through a user setting.
- The third block has to do some checks. Better separate that from our function.


I saw these properties earlier but I found that file was only the filename and not the full path of the episode and the folder never contained anything for me, hence I why I made it search for the file.
Also for file moving to make any sense it would have to be not in the correct folder would it not? (Although if it's in the root folder it's probably in the right folder so I don't know about this one)

I've now replaced my nonsense with your ValidateFileName

It now reads from the settings for an enable and a format string to format the file with.
I have no idea how forms/dialogs work on C++ so I just added the values to the settings.xml file and to the respective save/load.
I've converted the extension to lowercase as that's the convention where I am but I guess an option could be added?
Also I've added a new script variable which is the episode number with leading zeros but I'm not sure if the variable I'm using for it reliably has leading zeros and/or the correct number of them. (Should I make a function to add the zeros in?)

While I understand there should be some validation and redundancy checks here I'm having a mental blank to what they should be.

erengy said:

As Taiga is now very close to release and this feature requires a lot of testing, I won't be including it in version 1.0, but I'll be saving it for later. In the meantime, you could try improving the code or writing the logic in pseudo-code.

Thanks for taking your time to work on Taiga! Seeing other people working on it makes me happy :)


Understandable, I've tried to clean up the code a bit now so please take a look and point out the flaws:
[url]http://dl.hruhf.in/patch3.patch[/url]

I'm happy to help, as poor as my C++ is..
Modified by Hruhf, Sep 10, 2013 12:23 AM
 
Sep 10, 2013 8:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
This is not so much of a problem for Taiga at the moment as I rarely get patches from other people, but as a general advice, you should always use the same coding style of the project you want to contribute. Taiga uses double-space for indentation, where you used tabs, for example. Consistency is important.

While I admit Taiga's code base is far from setting a good example on this, it's a good idea to put things where they belong. Newly introduced RenameMoveFile function is logically not a part of MainDialog; it doesn't interact with the user interface. It should probably be a part of a Library class (which doesn't exist yet, but it's going to happen after 1.0).

And another thing: It's possible to pad zeroes to the episode number without introducing a new variable, by using "$pad(%episode%,2,0)" or "$pad(%episode%,$len(%total%),0)". But of course, although they're very rare, this wouldn't work for episode intervals such as "01-02". I imagine we'll have to modify the way ReplaceVariables works in order to make it compatible with file renaming, or find a better solution in the future.
 
Sep 20, 2013 6:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 38
I just discovered Taiga tonight, after using MAL Updater for a couple years, and so far it seems to be more usable and helpful! Of course, there will be a few things that will take some time getting used to (like no weird shaped windows with 2D girls XD ). I guess I have a few minor requests:
1. Option for single-click on systray icon to open Taiga, instead of double-click.
2. A link in "Now Playing" to access MAL's episode discussion of the current episode
3. As for random episode, I would only use it if it played the next episode from a random anime in "Currently Watching"
 
Sep 21, 2013 7:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 193
NelemNaru said:
3. As for random episode, I would only use it if it played the next episode from a random anime in "Currently Watching"
I was thinking about requesting this too, altough I think it would be best if it would select from the currently active tab/status.
 
Sep 24, 2013 12:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
maLakai said:
NelemNaru said:
3. As for random episode, I would only use it if it played the next episode from a random anime in "Currently Watching"
I was thinking about requesting this too, altough I think it would be best if it would select from the currently active tab/status.

And it should only play the next episode in range - not a randomly selected episode, regardless of whether it's already marked as watched or not, which is pretty useless for most users imo.
 
Sep 25, 2013 2:42 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
It would be good if we could shift click to mass edit anime, like setting their status or score (if for some reason we wanted to).
 
Sep 29, 2013 1:38 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
[url]http://dl.hruhf.in/patch5.patch[/url]

Latest file proc stuff. Fixed a lot of major bugs with my code and changed default rename style to "%title%$if($greater(%total%,1), - pad(%episode%,$len(%total%),0),)"

Should I continue posting patches here or should I hold off until you start the library system?

Just realised the above format won't work for undefined length animes so it's now
"%title%$ifequal(%total%,1,, - $pad(%episode%,$len(%total%),0))"
Modified by Hruhf, Sep 29, 2013 6:41 AM
 
Sep 29, 2013 6:18 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 61
I'd like to have "back" button on main panel so i would be able to return to my previous tab from any new opened.
 
Sep 29, 2013 10:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
@NelemNaru:
Hi there and welcome! Indeed, single-click activation seems to be more common these days, so I fulfilled that first request of yours. Will look into the second one later on. There was a way to get episode discussion links at some point but I'm not sure if it still works.

@NelemNaru, @maLakai, @Gebbi:
I changed the behavior of play random anime feature: It now plays only the next episode of a random anime from your list, ignoring Completed and Dropped titles. This is going to be in the next update.

@Hruhf:
This is something that I won't be able to work on for a while, sorry.

@NSD:
We actually had navigation buttons on the main toolbar earlier in alpha versions, but then realized that they weren't much useful in the end. You can still use the back & forward buttons on your mouse for the same functionality.
 
Sep 30, 2013 10:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 61
Good enough. Thx.
 
Oct 12, 2013 2:38 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 362
Ok, i use MAL updater, and i recently heard about this program, i love every single thing about this, but the only thing that it is keeping me from using it is the the fact that we cant update Manga chapters on Taiga.

So my request is manga updates.
 
Oct 13, 2013 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 83
Blaz said:
Ok, i use MAL updater, and i recently heard about this program, i love every single thing about this, but the only thing that it is keeping me from using it is the the fact that we cant update Manga chapters on Taiga.

So my request is manga updates.
You have no idea how many times I've requested it in this thread, lol. Unfortunately, Manga List support will NOT be added before 1.0 as we're focusing on making it stable and ready for release and tying up some loose odds and ends. However, it can get added for 1.1 I would think. It will be before 2.0 as well.


 
Oct 17, 2013 10:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
NelemNaru said:
A link in "Now Playing" to access MAL's episode discussion of the current episode

I looked into this once again, and it turned out that MAL requires cookie-based authentication (as opposed to the one used in all API calls) to provide the discussion topic links. Considering the direction Taiga is going to take with version 1.1, I decided not to add this feature until MAL API supports it, though I might reconsider if it turns out to be the most requested feature ever.

Blaz said:
So my request is manga updates.

It's kind of a big deal in terms of technical difficulty, but the current plan is to add manga support in version 1.2.
 
Oct 20, 2013 2:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
Manga List (Sync with MAL) pls :)


EDIT: oh man, i just found that this guy said everything the same as i feel

Blaz said:
Ok, i use MAL updater, and i recently heard about this program, i love every single thing about this, but the only thing that it is keeping me from using it is the the fact that we cant update Manga chapters on Taiga.

So my request is manga updates.


ps. one different thing is i used Taiga before going to try MALU and found some annoying things in MALU, so i decided to go with Taiga from now on.
 
Oct 21, 2013 5:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 83
Spacez said:
Manga List (Sync with MAL) pls :)
Go look at the replies above yours. Manga List support, as much as I want it too, won't come until version 1.2 because it'll be a huge thing to add. We're just closing in on 1.0 and are working on refining it for release so we're not adding huge new features right now.


 
Nov 8, 2013 3:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 56
Would be nice to be able to add relative comparisons to date filters. For example, not just "date greater than YY-MM-DD", but also "date greater than 14 days ago". Will be handy for downloading the last episodes of just finished titles.
 
Nov 9, 2013 2:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 36
I have a small contribution to make. After being annoyed for such a long time that Taiga seemed to forget manually discarded items after restarting (but being too lazy to ask here for a fix :P), I decided to add it myself.

The code-base is pretty clean so I was able to get my bearings quite fast.

With my changes, a new option is added to Torrents->Filters named "After closing, remember upto XYZ discarded items" where XYZ is a numerical editbox (like the delay edit box, with those small arrows to increment and decrement).

When Taiga is closing down, it writes to data/feeds/discarded.xml the current Aggregator.file_archive, upto a maximum of XYZ items counting from the end (this limit is to avoid a huge file after a long time of use).

Next time it boots, it loads the information in that .xml file back into the Aggregator, instead of populating it with the .torrent files in the feed folders. This way, it also remembers items that were discarded without being downloaded!

What do you guys think? I find this feature reasonably important, and since it can easily be deactivated (by setting XYZ=0), I don't think there's much reason to be against it.
It's my first time contributing to an open-source project, so feel free to give me constructive criticism.

Here is the .patch file with my changes, for the current svn trunk (revision 249).

The only thing left I could see being useful would be a button somewhere in settings to clear the current Aggregator.file_archive, for example when testing filters, but that's not too important.
Modified by LordGravewish, Nov 9, 2013 3:41 PM
 
Nov 10, 2013 5:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
@LordGravewish:
I committed your contribution to the codebase, thanks! Here's some post-modifications that I made:
  • Removed the option from Settings dialog, as it wasn't quite necessary. I kept the relevant value modifiable through settings.xml for now. I think we can either raise the default value to 1000 or remove the limit altogether if it doesn't cause any performance issues. Will do some tests for this later on.
  • Provided compatibility with earlier versions so that the archive is populated with previously downloaded torrents if the user has just updated Taiga.
  • Added your name to the contributors list. Let me know if you prefer another name and I'll change it.
  • The rest is mostly code-style changes (e.g., "if (" instead of "if(") made for consistency.
 
Nov 10, 2013 10:19 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 36
Great! Happy to help.


erengy said:
Removed the option from Settings dialog, as it wasn't quite necessary. I kept the relevant value modifiable through settings.xml for now. I think we can either raise the default value to 1000 or remove the limit altogether if it doesn't cause any performance issues. Will do some tests for this later on.


The only problem is that, after some time of using (a few months) I can easily see the archive becoming very very large, in the thousands of items, which will make Taiga consume more memory and take longer during Aggregator searches. I disagree with removing the limit, but having a reasonably large limit like 100-1000 shouldn't affect performance noticeably.

erengy said:
The rest is mostly code-style changes (e.g., "if (" instead of "if(") made for consistency.


Heh. I tried to keep it consistent, but now that I was looking back at the code I noticed it was all but consistent, I didn't even notice I was doing stuff like '{' on new lines! Force of habit I guess
Modified by LordGravewish, Nov 10, 2013 10:34 AM
 
Nov 17, 2013 10:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Maybe I should just blame the subgroup, but it would be nice if Taiga could handle second seasons as actual continuations of the first season. For instance, gg starts numbering Valvrave season 2 at 13, so Taiga dislikes it and won't play it/update the list.
 
Nov 18, 2013 12:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 83
Ooglogput said:
Maybe I should just blame the subgroup, but it would be nice if Taiga could handle second seasons as actual continuations of the first season. For instance, gg starts numbering Valvrave season 2 at 13, so Taiga dislikes it and won't play it/update the list.
We actually talked about this before but unfortunately not much has came from it. We had an idea on how to handle this in Taiga and make it not that hard for the user to setup second seasons/continuations, but it never really got implemented.


 
Nov 18, 2013 2:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
The logic for interpreting an episode number higher than total episodes (e.g., 13 - 12 = 1) is already there, but as MAL doesn't provide relational information for series, Taiga is unable to do the calculation. I'm planning to implement that feature after v1.1 comes along. Taiga is going to be able to store the information if any other service provides it, and the user will be able to manually set it too (e.g., setting "Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season" as the sequel for "Kakumeiki Valvrave").
 
Nov 18, 2013 11:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Does the MAL API not provide info from the Related Anime section? That would make it really easy, but even if not, maybe it could check against your Completed list and try to figure it out that way? Not that setting it manually is very hard, but I'm lazy.
 
Nov 19, 2013 4:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 83
Ooglogput said:
Does the MAL API not provide info from the Related Anime section? That would make it really easy, but even if not, maybe it could check against your Completed list and try to figure it out that way? Not that setting it manually is very hard, but I'm lazy.
The API does not, I've asked Xinil about improving the response data from the API before but there are other matters he wants to fix first before improving the API sadly enough.


 
Nov 19, 2013 9:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Just a small idea for determining second seasons, specials, etc, would it be possible to make a small HTML scraper that would just check in the right area on a given shows page and just search it's way up/down through the sequels/prequels to determine proper order? I'm not familiar with VB, but I know in languages such as Python it wouldn't be all too difficult or slow considering the information for sequels and prequels are always in the same area. A quick regex search would be able to locate appropriate information and even be able to determine if you're skipping episodes/seasons/specials etc.
 
Nov 19, 2013 9:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
Scraping HTML pages for more information is indeed possible, but I'm not very fond of the idea, for a couple of reasons. First of all, it hurts MAL's servers when abused, and not surprisingly it's against their terms of use. From a user's standpoint, it's slow. From a programmer's standpoint, pulling data from HTML isn't quite enjoyable and while web scraping has its uses, it's bad to rely on it for a feature like this. Overall, I'd rather not have that feature at all, or at least try to implement it some other way, than to make Taiga scrape MAL's anime pages.
 
Nov 19, 2013 9:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Ah fair enough. I was thinking as a temporary solution if it was a big enough issue, but I see why you choose not to do that.
 
Nov 20, 2013 10:27 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Just a quick suggestion for the updater:

For the changelog shown, how about making it show the changelogs for all updates since your version, instead of just the latest version? I just updated taiga after a long period of it not checking and it just gave my the tiny changelog of the last update, which isn't helpful that much at all.

It's a small non-essential feature, but it could be useful.
 
Nov 20, 2013 1:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
hogofwar said:
For the changelog shown, how about making it show the changelogs for all updates since your version, instead of just the latest version?

Here you are: http://i.imgur.com/90L5n2t.png
 
Nov 20, 2013 3:28 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
That's great! Thanks!

I know this is probably pushing it for a feature, and even if it would be implemented it would be a way off, but how ab out a box art view? A grid of box arts for the anime instead of text anime listings pretty much?
 
Nov 20, 2013 4:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 718
You mean something like the Images viewing option of Seasons page, right? I am planning to add more viewing options to Anime List, but probably not anytime soon. There was also another layout that I was experimenting on a couple of months ago, but it didn't feel quite right so I just left it as a hidden feature.
 
Nov 21, 2013 9:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 83
erengy said:
You mean something like the Images viewing option of Seasons page, right? I am planning to add more viewing options to Anime List, but probably not anytime soon. There was also another layout that I was experimenting on a couple of months ago, but it didn't feel quite right so I just left it as a hidden feature.
Wait, is this still implemented in Taiga currently? If it is I'm going to try to find it and use it because that looks absolutely sweet in my opinion, maybe show two or three on a row if the row gets too large, but that looks great honestly.


 
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »