Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Manga Ranking for the First Half of 2010

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Jun 2, 2010 5:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
Here is the manga sales ranking for the first half of the year 2010.

*1, 2,305 594 One Piece vol.57
*2, 2,276,013 One Piece vol.56
*3, 1,251,949 Fullmetal Alchemist vol.24
*4, 1,223,488 Nodame Cantabile vol.23
*5, 1,208,345 Fullmetal Alchemist vol.25
*6, 1,152,551 Naruto vol.49
*7, 1,119,029 Naruto vol.50
*8, *,952,072 Naruto vol.51
*9, *,939,831 Kimi ni Todoke vol.10
10. *,918,059 Hunter x Hunter vol.27
11, *,838,322 Nodame Cantabile vol.24
12, *,803,252 Bleach vol.42
13, *,771,680 Neon Genesis Evangelion vol.12
14, *,729,335 Bleach vol.43
15, *,716,829 Bleach vol.44
16, *,612,185 Kuroshitsuji vol.8
17, *,583,082 Katekyo Hitman Reborn! vol.27
18, *,566,216 Detective Conan vol.67
19, *,554,355 Katekyo Hitman Reborn! vol.28
20, *,552,049 REAL vol.9
21, *,547,988 D.Gray-man vol.19
22, *,529,316 Yotsuba&! vol.9
23, *.514,474 Ookiku Furikabutte vol.13
24, *,505,964 Vagabond vol.32
25, *,487,694 Gintama vol.32

26th - 50th


Sales Ranking Series by Series
*1, 15,220,095 One Piece
*2, *4,178,598 Naruto
*3, *3,616,942 Fairy Tail
*4, *3,169,048 Fullmetal Alchemist
*5, *3,029,300 Nodame Cantabile
*6, *2,626,932 Bleach
*7, *2,533,556 Kimi ni Todoke
*8, *2,376,060 Gintama
*9, *2,083,508 Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
10, *1,574,448 Bakuman

Light Novel Ranking
*1, 236,231 Durarara!! vol.1
*2, 195,874 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu vol.7
*3, 189,037 Durarara!! vol.2
*4, 180,563 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu vol.7.5
*5, 174,078 Toaru Majutsu no Index vol.20
*6, 172,524 Saiunkoku Monogatari vol.15
*7, 164,966 Durarara!! vol.3
*8, 161,403 Tenchi Meisatsu
*9, 154,707 Saiunkoku Monogatari vol.16
10, 146,114 Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Hidden Bullet vol.4
11, 145,946 Durarara!! vol.4
12, 140,107 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu vol.1
13, 132,030 Durarara!! vol.7
14, 125,486 Durarara!! vol.5

Source: Oricon ranking
Modified by dtshyk, Jun 2, 2010 5:41 PM
 
#2
Jun 2, 2010 6:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 335
What? Fairy Tail is doing better than FMA? Damn.
Also, Yotsuba&! is low on the charts.
 
#3
Jun 2, 2010 6:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 65249
Yay Gintama! What the fuck is Bleach doing there though.
 
#4
Jun 2, 2010 6:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 320
Aaaaaaaand go figure, mainstream mangas. >_>

GFX made by >Valon< of Janime Community Forums
 
#5
Jun 2, 2010 7:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1530
Durarara and Baka to test: Pure domination.

One piece teh legend.
 
#6
Jun 2, 2010 7:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 367
Pretty much figured the charts were going to be dominated by jump series, but it was nice to see some of takehiko inoue's works up there as well. bakuman was present, but kind of over shadowed by the other more well known series. and durarara dominated the light novel charts, but that was expected as well. Im happy to see some baka to test up there too, but durarara had it beat this time.
 
#7
Jun 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 63
love it!!!!!!!!!


ONE PIECE THE BEST MANGA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
#8
Jun 2, 2010 9:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1262
Man, Hunter X Hunter has a really dedicated fanbase.

It would probably have amazing numbers if Togashi didn't go on hiatus so many times.


 
#9
Jun 2, 2010 9:52 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 103
FMA, Nodame, KHR and Gintama. \o/
 
Jun 2, 2010 10:56 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 665
Woot! Kimi ni Todoke, the only shoujo in Top 10 right? LOL. And Nodame, the only josei. How awesome! One Piece ftw!!
 
Jun 2, 2010 11:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 577
Ookiku Furikabutte is doing pretty well to be ranked #23. Also, Durarara!! wipes the light novel rankings. Niiice.
 
Jun 2, 2010 11:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 560
Get in there Ookiku!

 
Jun 3, 2010 12:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4378
Onepiece is the only shounen manga that deserves investing time in it.
 
Jun 3, 2010 12:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 849
in terms of sales fma stands second to one piece......thats quite good. awesome in fact.
 
Jun 3, 2010 12:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4378
cnaw said:
in terms of sales fma stands second to one piece......thats quite good. awesome in fact.


it also would be awesome if FMA was in weekly release :D

but thats quite awesome selling for a manga that releases once per month chapters...
(better than bleach/naruto)
 
Jun 3, 2010 12:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 971
Pw3age said:
What? Fairy Tail is doing better than FMA? Damn.


learn to divide please.

Something that sells 7 volumes @ say 400,000 per volume is not better than something that sells 2 volumes @ 1.2 million.

An FMA volume sells 3 times better than a Fairy Tail volume.
 
Jun 3, 2010 1:34 AM
News Team
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25824
dtshyk said:

11, *,838,322 Nodame Cantabile vol.24


Actually, Vol. 24 of Nodame Cantabile is Opera-hen one.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
 
Jun 3, 2010 1:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1081
WOOT! One Piece and Gintama doing great!

Hurray for Durarara too! xD
 
Jun 3, 2010 2:14 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1735
Go for Gold, FMA! Come on!
 
Jun 3, 2010 5:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 849
Westlo said:
Pw3age said:
What? Fairy Tail is doing better than FMA? Damn.


learn to divide please.

Something that sells 7 volumes @ say 400,000 per volume is not better than something that sells 2 volumes @ 1.2 million.

An FMA volume sells 3 times better than a Fairy Tail volume.

yes . . Thats what i wanted to say .
 
Jun 3, 2010 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1587
FMA, as a monthly manga, totally wins over all the other mangas, because it's much more difficult to get high sales when you only release one chapter per month, instead of one chapter per week.

Kimi ni Todoke wins in the same way, but not as much as FMA.
 
Jun 3, 2010 7:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
go one piece and naruto
 
Jun 3, 2010 8:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1241
heh, you know this is some crazy shit. FMA def takes the cake for monthly manga. As OP does the same for weekly.
 
Jun 3, 2010 9:38 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 159
Damn good taste you got there Japan, FMA and OP are definitely my two favorite mangas
 
Jun 3, 2010 9:58 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3846
One piece rocks!!!~~
 
Jun 3, 2010 11:26 AM
Mahou Shounen

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2005
um, its not july yet, only 5 monthes have passed
 
Jun 3, 2010 11:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 76
Yay One Piece! i like how it outstrips Naruto in terms of sales like a billion to one lol.
 
Jun 3, 2010 12:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 849
kennikitty said:
FMA, as a monthly manga, totally wins over all the other mangas, because it's much more difficult to get high sales when you only release one chapter per month, instead of one chapter per week.

Kimi ni Todoke wins in the same way, but not as much as FMA.

exactly . Your point can be justified as follows . Soul eater , although , its so so so popular , it fails to register huge numbers . Thats because its a monthly manga . Getting huge numbers for a monthly manga is extremely difficult . And hence , we can say the numbers fma and knt have notched are huge . . . .
 
Jun 3, 2010 12:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4378
i dont understand how can anyone love kimi ni todoke

i bet only girls by it
 
Jun 3, 2010 2:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2129
durarara best novel! :o
I'm sure that fullmetal will gain his sales ranking because IT'S GOING TO END! D':
 
Jun 3, 2010 4:44 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 217
Metroid_Ex said:
um, its not july yet, only 5 monthes have passed
These rankings do not go from January 1st to June 30th.

Good to see FMA doing well. I will never understand why is One Piece selling so well though...
 
Jun 3, 2010 5:09 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 82
Jure said:
Metroid_Ex said:
um, its not july yet, only 5 monthes have passed
These rankings do not go from January 1st to June 30th.

Good to see FMA doing well. I will never understand why is One Piece selling so well though...


You must be kidding dude!? You wanna tell me you've read 580 freagin chapters of One Piece including the Marineford Arc and yet you dropped it, gave it a score of 3 points and talk rubbish like that?

You have never read 580 chapters.Nobody who isnt retarded and read until chapter 580 would say that...

You sir, are just a stupid hater
 
Jun 3, 2010 6:33 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 217
Bushnik said:
Jure said:
Metroid_Ex said:
um, its not july yet, only 5 monthes have passed
These rankings do not go from January 1st to June 30th.

Good to see FMA doing well. I will never understand why is One Piece selling so well though...


You must be kidding dude!? You wanna tell me you've read 580 freagin chapters of One Piece including the Marineford Arc and yet you dropped it, gave it a score of 3 points and talk rubbish like that?

You have never read 580 chapters.Nobody who isnt retarded and read until chapter 580 would say that...

You sir, are just a stupid hater
Well, I guess this just confirms what everybody says about One Piece fanboys.

And yes, I did read 580 chapters of OP manga. Two years ago, I started reading One Piece but I dropped it after Alabasta arc (volume 23). Lately, lots of people were saying that OP reached new level of epic so I read all the way to latest chapter at that time (570) and I decided to drop it again at chapter 580 since it seemed like good time to drop it, being the end of the arc and all that...
 
Jun 3, 2010 8:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1530
I think the main reason for the success of One piece is not just epicness, but its concrete plot and unpredictableness that Oda presents. It's only shonen manga that all the things going on actually make 'sense'.

I don't think there will be any shonen manga that can surpass one piece... ever.

Bushnik said:
You sir, are just a stupid hater
You are making all the one piece fans like me looks bad. Go away. >_>
Modified by ringoo4, Jun 5, 2010 2:49 AM
 
Jun 3, 2010 8:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2792
Well, One Piece. Not surprising.
 
Jun 3, 2010 9:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 542
HxH number 10? :D Awesomeness. (only started the manga last month, so the hiatuses I don't mind. =P )
 
Jun 3, 2010 10:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3395
Indeed.... OP is teh legend people!!! That thing is really outstanding... I have to read it... Scout promise that when I manage to be up to date with Bleach and then Kodmo no Jikan I'll read the Super Duper One Piece

And Bakuman on 10 on general sales! WOOOT! GOOOO Ohba and Obata!!! GOOOO Bakuman!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jun 3, 2010 11:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 211
Y-Yay Yotsubaaaa ; U ;

And go Durarara!! You dominate them light novels!
 
Jun 4, 2010 7:41 PM
Mahou Shounen

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2005
Jure said:
Metroid_Ex said:
um, its not july yet, only 5 monthes have passed
These rankings do not go from January 1st to June 30th.

Sorry, i wasn't aware that in Japan the new year started in December.
 
Jun 5, 2010 9:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Good to see Vagabond and REAL up there, Inoue works always deserve some recognition.

One Piece is just monstrous, outselling its already monumental sales accumulation from 2009 in just 6 months. It gave me a good chuckle seeing volume 55 on the list, since that was released in August last year, a good 3 months before the fiscal period. Can't stress enough that it's fully deserving of this though.

Another two things I found hilariously amusing. K-ON! is up there, probably due to the many dedicated fans of that group of moeblobs (except Mio, since she's moe enough to be the sole exception). The only Hunter x Hunter volume outsells everything in Jump except for Naruto and One Piece, hence the reason why Togashi can slack all he wants. ;D

Bakuman, Yotsuba&!, and two Ahiru no Sora volumes also made the cut.

/is very happiez
Modified by Nehver, Jun 5, 2010 9:39 PM
 
Jun 5, 2010 10:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1381
nice one to see oofuri is there~
 
Jun 16, 2010 2:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 64
silent_killer said:
kennikitty said:
FMA, as a monthly manga, totally wins over all the other mangas, because it's much more difficult to get high sales when you only release one chapter per month, instead of one chapter per week.

Kimi ni Todoke wins in the same way, but not as much as FMA.

exactly . Your point can be justified as follows . Soul eater , although , its so so so popular , it fails to register huge numbers . Thats because its a monthly manga . Getting huge numbers for a monthly manga is extremely difficult . And hence , we can say the numbers fma and knt have notched are huge . . . .


Not that I have a problem with FMA (love the manga), but if we wanted to use that logic, HunterxHunter wins these entire best selling list because it's a... yearly series?

Due to the hiatuses, Hunter only released one volume per year. Fans only get to read ten chapter, each chapter only have 19 pages per year and yet, it still made it into the list. Perhaps I should mention that many people has already losing their patience with the hiatuses. Some even said the series has going downhill with the current arc stating it is the worse arc in this series. Compare that to FMA that have more solid storyline, Hunter sure is a weird phenomenon in Japan.
 
Jun 28, 2010 2:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 971
sex-pistols said:
Not that I have a problem with FMA (love the manga), but if we wanted to use that logic, HunterxHunter wins these entire best selling list because it's a... yearly series?


This only works if you ignore that it built up its massive fanbase while being a weekly manga series in WSJ + weekly anime series before all the hiatus bs started.

Hunter X Hunter really should get moved to Jump Square.. he only does 10 chapters a year so why not spread it out... gives Jump Square another big boost too after gettting D.Gray Man and the new Prince of Tennis.
 
Jun 28, 2010 3:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4378
^why the hell he does 10 chapters a year ? o_O

and i looked at latest chapters and the quality isnt that great... for ex. Berserk is like 2-3 months release, and the quality is beyond amazing,, this one is jsut below average =\
 
Jun 29, 2010 9:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 971
smokes said:
^why the hell he does 10 chapters a year ? o_O

and i looked at latest chapters and the quality isnt that great... for ex. Berserk is like 2-3 months release, and the quality is beyond amazing,, this one is jsut below average =


To be blunt, I think his drawing hand is fucked.
 
Jul 3, 2010 4:18 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 64
Westlo said:
sex-pistols said:
Not that I have a problem with FMA (love the manga), but if we wanted to use that logic, HunterxHunter wins these entire best selling list because it's a... yearly series?


This only works if you ignore that it built up its massive fanbase while being a weekly manga series in WSJ + weekly anime series before all the hiatus bs started.

Hunter X Hunter really should get moved to Jump Square.. he only does 10 chapters a year so why not spread it out... gives Jump Square another big boost too after gettting D.Gray Man and the new Prince of Tennis.


1. FMA also gets a massive fanbase when it first started. Probably even more than Hunter received considering the series is released more consistently for the monthly mag.
2. FMA also gets a weekly anime and it was hailed as one of the best anime in Japan - in Japan itself. It also gets a rebooted version, goes to show how popular this series is compare to Hunter.
3. The hiatus already started way back in '98 when the manga is still in the early stage (though the number of hiatus is smaller back then). That's why the anime has separate part (OAV) to compensate the hiatuses.

It just the number of hiatuses increasing over the year and more new fans began to discovering this series, added with the fake rumors circulating the Internet regarding the actual cause of the hiatus that it gets that "lol hiatusxhiatus" reputation. The long hiatus only began after he and Jump editors had an agreement about the releasing schedule for the manga. He also does twenty chapter during the last hiatus and just like Miura and Inoue T. he's working at his own pace, Jump is just waiting for a set of chapters to be completed before released it continuously. He also doesn't have/don't want any assistants to help him out (unlike the majority of the mangaka out there that has at least three assistants to help them out with inking, filling, paneling etc.). He also fixed, redraw, filled in the details for the badly drawn chapters in the volume format (hopefully I'm not the only person that doesn't read manga online here). In short, he's not lazy, he just work slowly.

No idea about why it doesn't get moved to Jump Square especially since this is Jump we're talking about here. Probably it's Jump's way of apologizing toward Togashi for their past history together, who knows.
Modified by ziggy-stardust, Jul 3, 2010 4:22 AM
 
Oct 16, 2010 11:47 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 417
Pw3age said:
What? Fairy Tail is doing better than FMA? Damn.
Also, Yotsuba&! is low on the charts.


what lafuria sux said.
 
Nov 1, 2010 10:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 361
Yes...One Piece is number one. It deserves the top spot.
Uploader53
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top